MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again many applicable scenarios - It seems that the burning, the missing clothes, phone and earbuds may just be an attempt to disguise her identity. " If " in fact a serial killer the taking of her belongings are his " trophies " and the burning his " signature ". - If a local obsessive individual these would be his " connection " to her. The sneaker left behind perhaps just was "dropped " in a hasty retreat. These horrific crimes often from start to finish only take minutes. Even the best of the best make mistakes !

The problem with DNA as your only evidence is that often times jurors find it confusing, too scientific. People ( your 12 Jurors)still want to visually " see" concrete evidence before convicting someone to life in prison or with special circumstances in place the death penalty. Jurors have a huge responsibility and few take it lightly, they are in fact someone's hands. Now add in a witness, no reliable alibi, a connection to the individual or her belongings in his possession, the jurors can see and justify their conviction. Prosecutors want more than DNA or a very scientific savvy group and remember the Defense will bump every one of those people.

I am also privy to the idea that perhaps a local saw the Karina case on the news and immediately thought of Vanessa due to their similarities and was 'inspired'. If this was the case, then it would have to be someone close that knew she was home for the week and knew where she ran/etc.

In the fire case in Washington DC - that horrific case where the family was killed, LE collected DNA from a discarded pizza crust.

I'm guessing a defense lawyer would try to fight it, but that's a case I do recall it happening, FWIW.

Same thing happened in the Missy Bevers case. They took a guy & his wife's trash from the curb.

I am also privy to the idea that perhaps a local saw the Karina case on the news and immediately thought of Vanessa due to their similarities and was 'inspired'. If this was the case, then it would have to be someone close that knew she was home for the week and knew where she ran/etc.

This is what I think too.

Same thing happened in the Missy Bevers case. They took a guy & his wife's trash from the curb.

The pizza crust in the Savopoulos murder case, was actually at the murder scene and had Darron Wint' DNA on it, which placed him in the home.

Has anyone considered alcohol,Vodka or Whiskey)as an accelerant ?

As far as I know we still don't know the extent of her burns - only shat she had burns to her feet, hands and head. We do not know if there was an accelerant or if they were simple cig. burns. There was one unsubstantiated report about a scorched area from the Sentinel with no source. IMO the Sentinel is more shoddy than the Daily Mail UK rag.

LE has not let out details in the pressers.

Have seen a lot of speculation of torches, her face, set on fire, keeping her from running, obliterating DNA, etc. with no facts.

No Info. So why consider an accelerant? What if they are small burns meant to make her comply? We don't know.

MOO

From the link:

"Admittedly, the little information available makes it hard even for experts to judge what kind of person might have killed Ms. Marcotte or why. Mr. Early has reiterated that police cannot say for sure if the killer randomly came upon Ms. Marcotte or whether they had some connection to her. He's repeatedly urged residents to be cautious, to report anything suspicious and to travel with a friend and be alert when walking or jogging."

A bit comforting to know that our differences in theories here on this thread are at least on base with the questions LE is asking.

This case might take some patience. :(

Possibly already posted, but perhaps worth repeating.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2016/08/with_more_than_590_tips_invest.html
"We ask that the public continue to think about whether they may have seen anything or anyone suspicious, out of place, or that just sticks out in their memories for any reason, and to let us know via the tip line. We continue to ask people to search their memories about any males on whom they may have noticed potential injuries such as scratches, bruises, cuts, gouge marks or the like during the past week, as well as any vehicles -- moving or parked -- on Brooks Station Road between 1-3 pm Sunday,"

The pizza crust in the Savopoulos murder case, was actually at the murder scene and had Darron Wint' DNA on it, which placed him in the home.

How well was it collected and what was the chain of custody? How was it documented? Was the testing for Nuclear or Mt? Did he just spit on the pizza? So he was in the home - does being there equate to being a killer? Will these questions be raised at trial? Will they be challenged as to the efficacy and reliability of the DNA collected?

I guess my previous posts regarding this unrelated case were to illustrate the fact that having DNA is no guarantee for a conviction. In the cases I have sat on the DNA was the first thing challenged and often thrown out.

MOO

This is an article from a Worcester Mass newspaper. An interesting read. This is something I had been wondering, quoted below.

Normally, after crossing relatives and friends off the suspect list, police might turn their attention to sex offenders, but in this upscale town of about 3,500 people, there’s not a single person listing Princeton as their home on the state's sex-offender registry.

jmo

How well was it collected and what was the chain of custody? How was it documented? Was the testing for Nuclear or Mt? Did he just spit on the pizza? So he was in the home - does being there equate to being a killer? Will these questions be raised at trial? Will they be challenged as to the efficacy and reliability of the DNA collected?

I guess my previous posts regarding this unrelated case were to illustrate the fact that having DNA is no guarantee for a conviction. In the cases I have sat on the DNA was the first thing challenged and often thrown out.

MOO
Yes, I agree. The DNA got him arrested and charged. The trial is upcoming, and I'm sure the defense will come with all kinds of
scenarios in regards to the DNA.

The Sentinel&Enterprise out of Leominster has much of the same information as all the other papers, but it addresses WCBV-5's report of a possible POI and says its currently not being acknowledged by the investigation.

the article also talks about the Daily Mail article we discussed here on WS. This might be a paper to watch since its VM's hometown newspaper.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/news/ci_30242196/princeton

The Sentinel&Enterprise out of Leominster has much of the same information as all the other papers, but it addresses WCBV-5's report of a possible POI and says its currently not being acknowledged by the investigation.

the article also talks about the Daily Mail article we discussed here on WS. This might be a paper to watch since its VM's hometown newspaper.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/news/ci_30242196/princeton

Great article. It's a bit reassuring to see the response from LE about the supposed DNA testing from a POI. I do, however, hope they really looked into that motorcycle accident. Just because Westminster police were able to confirm there was an actual accident, that shouldn't be enough to dismiss the idea that they're connected. They may have investigated further but I've only heard that they confirmed an accident did take place. Anyone could have done something drastic to use as an alibi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003