Madagascar - Alana Cutland, 19, Jumps to Death from Airplane. Malaria Drug Psychosis. 25 July 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just read how tissue and fluid collection is tested and that the results take time.

The body was not found for two weeks. Hope her family gets answers, but it's hard for me to imagine anything conclusive coming from the toxicology testing.

If anyone runs across a news update with the tox testing results in the future, please share it here. Thanks.

Drug tests on remains of Cambridge student who fell from plane in Madagascar

"The body of Alana Cutland, 19, will be flown to the island’s capital, Antananarivo, today where toxicology tests will be carried out."

It's been a couple of months since Alana's tragic passing. I wondered if the testing found which drug caused her to jump from the plane. Just lately I've heard of a couple of common antibiotics that can cause depression, so it's possible for some prescription drugs to cause mental havoc.

I wasn't able to find definitive conclusions from the tox testing, but did find another article with yet another drug named that she might have been taking.

Student Who Jumped to Death from Madagascar Plane was Taking Anti-malaria Medication

"According to a case report published in The BMJ recently, three young people with no history of mental illness were treated for skin conditions with doxycycline - and had a devastating reaction to the drug.

It turns out that all three of them developed 'suicidal ideation' with an outcome of suicide in two of the cases.

Much like Alana's case, a British mum had recently written that she is very concerned about her 20 year-old son’s sudden and alarming deterioration in mental health following a course of doxycycline."

This is a worth reading news article complete with lots of pictures. Remote location and sudden illness = Terrifying. Thanks PastTense for the link. I thought about this all night. It must have been some kind of drug interaction. I pray they find her body and are able to test to give her family answers.

Alana Cutland was hallucinating on prescription drugs when she plunged to her death in Madagascar | Daily Mail Online

'We think she had suffered a severe reaction to some drugs but not anti-malaria ones because she had taken those on her trip last year to China without any side effects.'

now...

"Teams are searching for her body but there are fears that it may not be found because she jumped into a remote area of the Madagascan jungle filled with carnivorous wild animals including the panther-like fossa mongoose."

ETA = there's a link in article to this site about antimalarials Malaria - Antimalarials

She had taken the ati malaria meds before with no ill reaction, BUT, if she took it this time and instead took the generic brand, her reactions can be totally different. Most people don't know that generic brand meds are NOT the same as the non generic of the same kind med. Was told this by a doctor. Most doctors will lie and say it is but it isn't. My grandmother was taking meds prescribed from her doctor and was doing well on them for almost a year. She decided to save money thinking generic was exactly the same and changed it to generic. She died from anaphylactic shock. Throat swelled up so bad her tongue swelled out of her mouth. The emts had to get her to the closest hospital. It had damaged her organs and they started to shut down. She passed away from it. That's the stark difference in the two that most people don't know. Generic is not the same as the actual mane brand more expensive drug.

spiritkiss, I'm sorry you lost your grandmother in such a way. It'll make others aware of yet another consideration. Thanks for sharing.

What a coincidence, right this minute, Dr. Oz Show is covering the subject of some people going into anaphylactic shock from various allergies (like red meat) they weren't aware was a problem. Dr. Oz said this mysterious meat allergy doesn't show up sometimes for weeks, but might be connected to the animal getting a tic bite then you eat the meat then it takes awhile for you to form the antibodies and have a reaction. Ugh, tics.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKP
Back