Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
of Murat.

But barely any of the McCanns holiday group. I am interested in finding a photo of O'Brien. Any sluethers out there have any links for me?

The only reason Murat is even a suspect is because a hysterical reporter (who likely wanted to make a name for herself) reported him as suspicious.

One would think, that if he was so suspicious, the police would have thought so as they were using him to translate for them.

I don't believe there is enough evidence to support him being involved or there would have been an arrest. I am also not aware of what evidence, if any, has been compiled so I certainly don't write of the possibility of him being involved. However, I also don't write off the possibility of the McCanns, or someone from their group being involved.

Mr. O'Brien, having been reported as being away from the table for long periods of time on more than one occassion, should also be considered a suspect or person of interest. And I want to see what he looks like darn it! Does he fit the description of the phantom man with child as reported by one of the McCann party?

Is it possible that Murat is only a named suspect because the British press (loathe to call them that as there has been nothing more than tabloid reporting in this case) grabbed hold of this woman's story, fully embraced it, published the hell out of the notion and the Portuguese police had no other option BUT to name him as such?

While doing a google search for news I found two I wanted to look at....

On the spot
Scotsman, United Kingdom - 20 hours ago
Is it right that the parents of Madeleine McCann have been turned into celebrities when it was their neglect that led to her disappearance? ...

also

Needham mother wants case re-opened
Scotsman, United Kingdom - 20 hours ago
Grist welcomes the support given to the family of Madeleine McCann, the four-year-old who was snatched in Portugal in May, but urges Brown to show her ...

Yet clicking on the links take me to the same front page newspaper. So I used their search tool and can find neither article.

Earlier today, when I first found them, I could not connect to the pages. I got an error message only.

Is it me being paranoid or have these articles perhaps been pulled?

BadKat, if the links you're seeking are for articles in UK newspapers, anything is possible. I have had the same trouble- something goes up and immediately comes back down, especially if it's in any way critical of the McCanns. Just as I was looking for something in the SOL report and noticed that the link I provided doesn't work anymore. So this is it:

Madeleine Case - Pact of Silence

Madeleine’s parents and the friends with whom they spent their holidays in PDL are suspects in the inquiry. There are contradictory versions about the night of the kidnapping, and an assumed pact of silence in the group

The beginning of June is flowing in a strange way in the Algarve. A chilly wind and overhead clouds help to fill the auditorium of Lagos, where a solidarity concert is being held for the missing english girl. It’s been a month since Madeleine McCann vanished without a trace.

A few kilometres from Lagos, in the Ocean Club resort at Praia da Luz, the faint illumination further densifies the climate. At the reception, which leads to the Tapas restaurant, there is nobody. Getting inside is easy.

A portuguese waiter, but with a british ‘behaviour’, strikes the first blow on the journalist’s plan: “We only serve dinner to the club’s clients”. “What about a drink?”. He says yes.

It’s 9.30 p.m. If we were to believe the several members of the McCann’s holiday group, and after several mismatching versions, at this time Madeleine was being carried out of her apartment by a dark-haired man, who would be around 35 years old.

From the same table where the group of nine had dinner on that evening, one tries, in vain, to observe the apartment’s front – a ground floor apartment that faces the restaurant. A linoleum screen on the side of Tapas and the corridor of bushes that follows the limits of the apartment’s back yards prevents any vigilance to that level.

The image of Madeleine – big blue, questioning eyes and an innocent smile, fixed on the photographic films – is always present. It doesn’t leave the conversations of whom passes by. One remembers the words that the mother, Kate Healy, is supposed to have said to a friend (and that the husband, Gerry McCann, did not know): “I had a bad premonition about my children, when I found out the Ocean Club had no baby listening service”.

The choice of Algarve as a holiday destination would come to change their lives. Everything was arranged with three other couples, with whom they used to travel. Some of them had recently been to Greece, with their children, and the Mark Warner agency, the same that prepared their trip to the Algarve, had done their itinerary for the islands. According to their reports, the hotel where they stayed had a baby listening service – a service that is assured by four or five members of staff who would control the children while the adults dined, by listening through doors and windows to confirm that everything inside was quiet.

At the Tapas bar, from bartenders to staff from the Kid Club, criticism is whispered: “We have a creche where they left their children for most part of the day, where they could be until 11.30 p.m. without spending another Euro. They could also have used our baby-sitters, who stay with the children in their rooms until 1 p.m. In this case, they would have to pay an extra fee, but these people looked like they could afford it”, an employee comments, concluding that “this was a very strange group, that never stayed with their children”.

The children’s routine

The story of Madeleine looks like a tangled ball of wool. In the last days of April, Kate and Gerry, both 39 and doctors, arrive with their friends in Praia da Luz. The weather is not very good, but the group makes the best of it. The children seem to exist outside of the adults’ world. In the morning, Kate would take Madeleine, almost 4, and the 2-year old twins, to the Kid Club. The other couples in the group did the same. While the little ones entertained themselves with collages and paintings, the group divides itself between tennis and jogging until lunchtime. In the creche, the girl’s picture is taken: “She was shy and had some difficulty in adapting to the group. She always stayed close to the english children she already knew”.

It is at lunchtime that the families socialize a bit. After a short nap, the children go back to the Kid Club, while the parents use the activities that the club offers. They only get to meet again in the late afternoon, when the children’s dinner is served. Before 8 p.m., Madeleine and her siblings, who seem to function like a clock, are already asleep. Half an hour later, the group of friends meets at Tapas. The staff remember that they only leave at midnight: “They were very lively and drank a bit too much. I didn’t even realize they had children, because I never saw them around”.

Mathew Oldfield, one of the elements of the group, is back in England. He reacts with surprise upon the contact of Sol, but he does not avoid the conversation: “We drank. We were on holidays. So what?”.

And thus the days followed one upon another, at the Ocean Club. The holiday week is almost over and the group’s spirit does not change. Nobody had noticed until then, how the children were kept at a distance.

The most reliable way to undrestand what happened on May 3, when Madeleine disappeared, is to analyze the various versions that emerged.

It would have been 10 p.m. when Kate decided to check the children at the apartment. This is the only moment in the story that gathers consensus. Madeleine had vanished from her bedroom and the twins were sleeping like nothing had happened. The mother was back at the restaurant in one leap. She was disoriented.

PJ called two hours later

In seconds, the resort is in turmoil. The group’s four men and the club’s employees check every corner. They seem to be oblivious of the essential: to call the authorities. GNR is the first to arrive at the scene, but the news only reach Policia Judiciaria (PJ) more than two hours later. The first explanations arise. Where were the parents when the child disappeared? Gerry explains that, inspired in the scheme that some of the friends had used on their holidays in Greece, the nine members of the group took turns in checking on the children with some regularity.

This is the beginning of a story that will change in many chapters. Gerry starts by saying that he first left the table to check on the children around 9.05 p.m. When he entered the apartment the children were fine, he just noticed that the door to their bedroom was partially open. He looked at the window, which was closed, just as the shutters, and relaxed.

Ten minutes later, his friend Jane Tanner, who went around the apartments, crossed ways with a dark-haired man who was walking in the opposite direction, carrying a child. She didn’t make any connections either.

A few minutes later, Mathew Oldfield enters the room, sees the McCann children fast asleep, and notices nothing out of the ordinary. It is at 10 p.m. that Maddie’s mother discovers her daughter has disappeared. The window was wide open and the shutters were up.

To GNR, who is in the area with sniffer dogs to search for the child, this is a highly unlikely scenario. One of the military assures: “This is an extremely silent area, where there are practically no passing cars. That shutter was very difficult to lift from the outside, and would have made a lot of noise. It would have been a lot easier to use the door, but there were no signs of a break-in”.

This was just one of the reasons why the group became suspicious in the eyes of the investigators. Russell O’Brien, Jane Tanner’s husband, is already back in England, but he knows he could be summoned back to Portugal for a deposition anytime. Over the phone with Sol, he tries to keep his british phlegm: “It is normal that we are suspects, and the DNA test is a consequence thereof. We were the closest people involved”.

The conversation always comes back to the same issue: the night of the disappearance. The account of that last dinner has disparate versions among the group’s members. Some swear that someone left the table every half hour to check on the kids; other reduce that time to half of it. Some say control is made window by window; others say the adults entered each other’s apartments.

One of the employees that was on duty that evening does not remember a lot of movement: “I only remember a tall, grey-haired man getting up once from the table”. It was Russell, who, two days earlier, also had attended dinner.

An aerobic instructor from the resort entertains the dinner guests at Tapas with a ‘Quiz’. At 9.30 p.m. the game ends, and Gerry invites her to their table, where she stays for half an hour. During that time, as she later confided to friends, nobody left the table, but one of the chairs was vacant. Najova Chekaya refuses to talk to Sol. And Russell, when the questions start to surround him, loses his sympathy: “I have nothing further to tell you. I am not going to dishonor the compromise I assumed with Kate and Gerry. They want to control all infornation that is disclosed”.

Gerry changes his version several times, but he maintains that the door to his children’s room was open. Mat revokes his first statement: when he entered Madeleine’s room, the door was open and there was more light, as if the shutters had been raised. Here starts to develop the theory that there was already someone inside the apartment. Which reinforces Jane Tanner’s version (that she saw a man carrying a child).

Only Jane saw the man carrying a child

But there is a witness whose deposition contradicts this theory. Jeremy Wilkins – a tv producer who had met Maddie’s father during their holidays and used to play tennis with him – was walking his eight months old son at that time. He met Gerry, who went out through the apartment’s back door after having checked on the children, and the two man exchanged a brief conversation. At that time, if one is to believe the first accounts, Jane would have left Tapas in the direction of the apartment’s main entrance, and would have crossed paths with both of them. “It was a very narrow road and I think it would have been almost impossible to walk by without me taking notice”, Jeremy says, pointing out the fact that he saw no man carrying a child, as Jane states.

But Jane continues to guarantee that, at the top of the street, she saw a man with a child in his arms.

Although the area is scarcely lit, and the situation did not make her suspicious at the time, she describes the beige trousers, the dark thick jacket and the black classic-style shoes in a detailed way. Once again, Jeremy disagrees: “If that happened, I would have likely seen it”.

On the next day, the media circus was fully installed. The first reports are on Sky News first thing in the morning, even before portuguese press takes hold of the story. Journalists and locals dispute the information. Robert Murat, the son of an english mother and a portuguese father, with little luck in business, does not waste the opportunity. He moves from failed businessman into the role of a translator for the press and the police. Some british journalists, after sucking him to the bones, start suspecting his availability.

The Murat contradiction

Contrarily to the GNR elements and the Ocean Club’s staff, who participated in the searches on the night before and assure they did not see Murat around, Gerry and some of his friends guarantee that he was there. And thus he becomes an arguido.

Gerry and Kate’s friends, who are interrogated tightly by the PJ over almost a month, refuse to clarify this contradiction, when asked by Sol. “We have a pact. This is our matter only. It is nobody else’s business”, says David Payne, another element with the group. Minutes after we tried to contact Kate, Gerry, in a fury, calls the Sol journalist: “What do you think you are doing? Do you think you’re better than the portuguese police? I’m going to forward your contact to PJ and you will have to explain yourselves”.
-------
PJ says ‘everybody is a suspect’

The director of the Policia Judiciaria in Faro, Guilhermino da Encarnacao, confirmed with Sol that “we do not discard the possibility to have the family and friends as suspects”. This is always done “without neglecting other clues. Everybody who was at the resort at the time are suspects”.

The earliest information heard about a nanny was that she was Canadian and had to return home when he McCanns went on vacation because someone in her family was ill. This was during the first couple of days after Madeleine went missing, and then nothing at all about her. There has been a lot of speculation about whether a "nanny" was ever employed or if it was a term to describe one of the grandmothers who helped out with the children.

Nobody has seen pictures of the males in the vacation party, although there have been pictures of some of the women. Up until lately we didn't even know the names of the people who went to Portugal with the McCanns.
Two of the men's names are Mathew Oldfield and Russell O'Brien, but I don't know the identity of the third. The women are Jane Tanner, Fiona Payne and Najova Chekaya.

Wow, a lot of information since I was last here, but most of it is already known to us, Im glad the children are with their parents in the UK, only glad that they were not left with strangers in Portugal, but the reason dumbfounds me. As for the UK papers pulling news of the net, that just shows me that there a lot of people who have ill feelings towards the McCanns, as there should be. I wonder when we will hear about the investigations with members of the McCanns party, I think there will be a lot of discrepancies, which will require further investigations and more time, time that poor little Madelaine does not have.
Prayers to Madelaine.

Here is some information I gathered from another board regarding who was in the McCann party, and who was with who:

Kate McCann
Gerry McCann

Matthew Oldfield
Rachael Oldfield, 36 years old

David Payne
Fiona Payne, 34 years old

Jane Tanner
Russell O Brien , 36 years old

Others

jeremy Wilkins - Seems certain that he met Gerry on holiday and was not 'with them

Navoja Chekaya - aerobics instructor who came to table?

Here is some information I gathered from another board regarding who was in the McCann party, and who was with who:

Kate McCann
Gerry McCann

Matthew Oldfield
Rachael Oldfield, 36 years old

David Payne
Fiona Payne, 34 years old

Jane Tanner
Russell O Brien , 36 years old

Others

jeremy Wilkins - Seems certain that he met Gerry on holiday and was not 'with them

Navoja Chekaya - aerobics instructor who came to table?
Thanks Reannan, I wonder if all these people have been interviewed regarding the disappearance of Madelaine, would be great if you could get a transcript of the interviews, or just some more news that we havent been told already, nothing seems to have changed since Madelaine went missing and thats just over 2 months ago.

Latest Update - Gerry's Blog/Diary
Day 73 - 15/07/2007
Travelled back to Portugal today on an early morning flight. It was heartening to see various posters of Madeleine up at all the check-in desks especially with the busy holiday season underway. The flight itself was quiet for Kate and I as the twins fell asleep shortly after take-off. My mum and sister have also come out to for a few days so we managed to see a lot of family this weekend.

Hmmm, wonder *why* the twins fell asleep after take off? Just speculation of course.

It is begining to seem to me, since following this 'diary' daily, that Madeleine is often mentioned by name as an afterthought.

Or, more like with forethought - as in making sure he mentions her name at least once even if he is effectively saying nothing about her.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Actually I don't see anything wrong with the twins falling asleep. If the McCanns took an early morning flight, it means they must have gotten up well before the crack of dawn to get to the airport and check in. I imagine the children already tired by the time they boarded. But I agree about the afterthought mention.

So much to respond too......

Badkat -- you're so baddddd:innocent:

There are a couple of new articles out about KM's trip to the UK. I have to admit that they are finally starting to sound like concerned parents.. Wonder who is editing their output.......

Actually I don't see anything wrong with the twins falling asleep. If the McCanns took an early morning flight, it means they must have gotten up well before the crack of dawn to get to the airport and check in. I imagine the children already tired by the time they boarded. But I agree about the afterthought mention.
Hi CaliKid, I too agree with you about the children falling asleep on the plane, I think they know they are never going to see Madelaine again because they know what happened to her, that is why they use her name as an afterthought.

Let's see......

Badkat - Thanks for all the info you posted today and yes, I had the same problem with the articles you mentioned. I posted the links yesterday in the hope that someone else would try them. I very much wanted to see what the other case was, but nothing ever came up.

I did not have trouble with the McCann site, because I never go there. I find it hard to be charitable after visiting that site, so I just avoid it.

Calikid - thank you so much for posting all that information. I tried the links and they did not work. I know it is not unusual that links expire after a period of time, but I was surprised these were gone so fast.

I had read the article before, but in rereading it, I noticed a few other things I had not paid attention to the first time around.

I think we still need answers to the following questions:

1. What does Russel look like? It would be nice to find a photo of him somewhere.
2. Was Jane late for dinner or checking the kids?
3. How valid is the information from Mr. Wilkins? This is key, because if what he says is believeable - then the McCann party is not being truthful. I will go back and look at the maps again and see if I can figure out just how they were walking around that would have made it "almost impossible" for Jane to have seen a man with a child when Mr. Wilkins did not see the same thing.
4. Also, what is the possibility that the man Jane saw was actually Mr. Wilkins? Wonder what he looks like...... Be nice to get a photo of him also. He admits to carrying a child.
5. They say Murat is going to be questioned again next week. I will post a link from the article quoting him as having no sympathy for the parents. It was interesting some of the things he said and HOW he said them.

Okay - I probably missed quite a few things, but it is getting late and I've had a busy day......

Who said this case was cold? I don't think so, in fact, I think it is heating up. I will admit I am surprised that the McCanns have returned to Portugal so quickly.........:waitasec:

Let's see......

Badkat - Thanks for all the info you posted today and yes, I had the same problem with the articles you mentioned. I posted the links yesterday in the hope that someone else would try them. I very much wanted to see what the other case was, but nothing ever came up.

I did not have trouble with the McCann site, because I never go there. I find it hard to be charitable after visiting that site, so I just avoid it.

Calikid - thank you so much for posting all that information. I tried the links and they did not work. I know it is not unusual that links expire after a period of time, but I was surprised these were gone so fast.

I had read the article before, but in rereading it, I noticed a few other things I had not paid attention to the first time around.

I think we still need answers to the following questions:

1. What does Russel look like? It would be nice to find a photo of him somewhere.
3. How valid is the information from Mr. Wilkins? This is key, because if what he says is believeable - then the McCann party is not being truthful. I will go back and look at the maps again and see if I can figure out just how they were walking around that would have made it "almost impossible" for Jane to have seen a man with a child when Mr. Wilkins did not see the same thing.
4. Also, what is the possibility that the man Jane saw was actually Mr. Wilkins? Wonder what he looks like...... Be nice to get a photo of him also. He admits to carrying a child.
5. They say Murat is going to be questioned again next week. I will post a link from the article quoting him as having no sympathy for the parents. It was interesting some of the things he said and HOW he said them.

Okay - I probably missed quite a few things, but it is getting late and I've had a busy day......

Who said this case was cold? I don't think so, in fact, I think it is heating up. I will admit I am surprised that the McCanns have returned to Portugal so quickly.........:waitasec:
Salem, great post, Your questions definitely need to be answered, but we dont seem to be able to get any answers for any of the questions that have been asked in this thread, so far it is only the posters answering the other posters questions, we have had no verification on anything that has been posted here, thats why I say we are no closer to finding out what happened to Madelaine. I was hoping that the latest interviews that are being conducted with the friends of the McCanns would shine some light on this, hopefully it will, really trying hard not to be negative about this.

Shazza - you are right...... we are not getting any solid answers and some of the info we have contradicts other info. Reading the info put out by GM indicates that we will not be getting any real info as apparently that hurts the investigation......

I won't argue that point because I understand LE needs to keep things under wraps during an investigation but it makes it difficult to move forward.

As far as we know, it has not even been officially called an "abduction" yet although all the media reports call it that. I would really like to know why the McCanns are so certain she did not walk away, especially if she was known to sleepwalk.......

Big questions still out there.......

Shazza, the friends that were interviewed by Portugese LE on 7/11/07 were Rachael Oldfield, Fiona Payne, and Russell O'Brien. Everything in Portugal is conducted under a cloak of secrecy, so there are NO transcripts or even hints of what was said. They were supposedly interviewed with Robert Murat, the only person to be named officially as a suspect. Apparnetly, the three McCann friends are insistent that they saw Murat near the McCann apartment around the time Madeleine went missing. As far as I can tell, their story has not been verified by anyone else. Murat, of course, denies being anywhere near the McCann apartment until the next day, when he supposedly became involved by assisting in the search and by translatting for LE. Salem, wants to know what Russell looks like.....there is a good photo of all three at this link:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cp9td

One of the biggest mysteries to me, is the person with the McCann family who has not been named. There is conflicting statements about who saw the mysterious man with carrying a child. I can't imagine any reason why everyone in the McCann party would not have been named by now. I would also think that the friends from the McCann party would be back in the UK by now. Don't they have the eqivalent of The Enquirer over there? Why are the people who know the McCann's not being interviewed?

Shazza, the friends that were interviewed by Portugese LE on 7/11/07 were Rachael Oldfield, Fiona Payne, and Russell O'Brien. Everything in Portugal is conducted under a cloak of secrecy, so there are NO transcripts or even hints of what was said. They were supposedly interviewed with Robert Murat, the only person to be named officially as a suspect. Apparnetly, the three McCann friends are insistent that they saw Murat near the McCann apartment around the time Madeleine went missing. As far as I can tell, their story has not been verified by anyone else. Murat, of course, denies being anywhere near the McCann apartment until the next day, when he supposedly became involved by assisting in the search and by translatting for LE. Salem, wants to know what Russell looks like.....there is a good photo of all three at this link:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cp9td

One of the biggest mysteries to me, is the person with the McCann family who has not been named. There is conflicting statements about who saw the mysterious man with carrying a child. I can't imagine any reason why everyone in the McCann party would not have been named by now. I would also think that the friends from the McCann party would be back in the UK by now. Don't they have the eqivalent of The Enquirer over there? Why are the people who know the McCann's not being interviewed?
Thanks Reannan, I recall the Portugese LE conducting interviews with 3 of the McCann clan with Murat there as well, which kinda puzzled me. As you said we dont know the outcome of the interviews as the LE are holding it very close to their chest. But hopefully they will have a press conference and we will learn more then.

Good question, Salem. For two months JT said she was late for dinner and saw a stranger carrying a child as she left the apartments to go to the Tapas restaurant. Now, she says she was checking on the children. So is this a lie? I sounds like it to me.
3. How valid is the information from Mr. Wilkins? This is key, because if what he says is believeable - then the McCann party is not being truthful. I will go back and look at the maps again and see if I can figure out just how they were walking around that would have made it "almost impossible" for Jane to have seen a man with a child when Mr. Wilkins did not see the same thing.?
My question is, what motive would Jeremy Wilkins have for lying about it? He casually knows GM because they vacationed at the same resorts and played tennis together, but they aren't friends. It isn't like he has a ax to grind against the McCanns, and his information, if true, makes a liar out of JT.
If JT did see a man carrying a child, I'd bet you it was Jeremy Wilkins. Now you wouldn't think an 8 month old would look anything like Madeleine, but it was dark, and she is supposed to be small for her age. It just sounds so hinky how she was able to describe in such detail- two weeks later- a chance encounter in the dark that must have only lasted seconds.
I don't think it's cold either. I think the lies and half-truths the McCanns have told for the past 74 days are beginning to catch up with them. I just hope it isn't too late for Madeleine.

Big news over on the Madeleine board I check out. They are all excited because someone who is posting in French is making statements that when translated, sound like Madeleine may have been found. I would be SO happy, but we have had our hopes up before. I have to leave, but wouldn't it be great when I return if we could discuss where she had been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710