Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Ping' data is to all intents the same as 'active connections'. So long as your phone is switched on it is permanently connected via a mast/base station to the network. So there is, therefore, a permanent live connection (although no actual call) to the mast from the phone sending out an "I am here, anybody there" ping which is picked up by the nearest available mast and answered with a "yes, I'm here, who are you?"

So when switched off, the phone is absent from mast records, but that is not the same as saying the phone was absent from the area - absence of evidence etc etc...

What we are saying is we only know PJ have data for actual voice or SMS connections to the relevant towers.

We don't know if they have any ping data - the handshake process you describe is not a permanent connection. Rather the phone connects with the nearest/best tower periodically - so the network knows where the phone is to allocate resource to it.

So if PJ had ping data, they would know when the phone first connected to the PdL tower, and when it disconnected - e.g. moved too far away or was turned off.

I guess @Janosch is correct that based on what was disclosed in the PJ files, they don't have the ping info, or triangulation.

This is not too unusual. In the McStay case, (2010 murder) the prosecution also did not have ping, and only basic azimuth.

30 minutes is a long time to chat to a casual acquaintance or to receive instructions/information.
Sounds more like a friend to me.
It would have been €15 (ish) phone call, so not cheap. I don’t necessarily think it’s an indication of an accomplice (to commit robberies). I doubt it’s anybody the BKA have spoken to. There could be a number of reasons this person hasn’t come forward. I think the strongest suspicion (by the authorities) is either another criminal who is ‘anti’ police, or an ex-worker who is scared of coming forward. In that scenario the individual may have some knowledge of what happened that night, likely pre-abduction IMO.
Or caller could be in prison or dead.
Old lady theory may seem far-fetched, but I do think it’s possible that its somebody that doesn’t recall the conversation or it doesn’t register with them that they may be the caller

If the BKA do have evidence to prove the 'alibi' is untrue, it isn't officially on the police record, so the defence can just claim CB misremembered the dates or something if the Prosecution try to use it against him.

RSBM - Yes I think this was the idea, though CB may have been dumb enough to make useable statements.

It would have been €15 (ish) phone call, so not cheap. I don’t necessarily think it’s an indication of an accomplice (to commit robberies). I doubt it’s anybody the BKA have spoken to. There could be a number of reasons this person hasn’t come forward. I think the strongest suspicion (by the authorities) is either another criminal who is ‘anti’ police, or an ex-worker who is scared of coming forward. In that scenario the individual may have some knowledge of what happened that night, likely pre-abduction IMO.
Or caller could be in prison or dead.
Old lady theory may seem far-fetched, but I do think it’s possible that its somebody that doesn’t recall the conversation or it doesn’t register with them that they may be the caller
What time did the group go to dinner? If they went at 7.30 it makes much sense CB was talking with someone while observing the comings and goings of the group. Jmo

What time did the group go to dinner? If they went at 7.30 it makes much sense CB was talking with someone while observing the comings and goings of the group. Jmo
Good point & I think it was around that time. Whoever it was wasn’t in the area but would have been somebody who had witnessed the groups pattern of behaviour at some point. So many possibilities!

Then why this 'friend' has not come forward? If it were an innocent friendly chat, one would think that person would have come forward. Jmo

There is a decent chance the defence will identify the person when/if CB is charged. I can understand why they don't do it now.

But had pre dinner drinks on their own right?
I cannot imagine IF CB abducted MM that this 30 min phonecall just an hour before the group were booked in for dinner was irrelevant or insignificant. Either he was tipping someone else or someone was tipping him. And/Or he could be going around - looking and observing. Jmo

IMHO All or any evidence can be important. Due to the "CSI Effect", we tend to expect solid tangible evidence which may not always be the case. Circumstantial evidence and the "if it walks like a duck" assumption are sometimes not viewed as strong enough for a conviction due to Reasonable Doubt. This is three different countries possibly with different laws. We can struggle in the US when different states or counties are involved. Whatever they have, I hope it is enough to get a conviction.
Well said, I think the circumstantial evidence is strong & that they have enough of it to get a conviction

This is a longshot question … but are the call logs in UTC time or local time ?
On 3rd May 732 UTC time would be 832 Local in Portugal.
Probably been thought of already by police…?

This means, if true, the call would have ended at 9:02 p.m.? Everybody else in their party was seated at the Tapas at approximately 9:00 p.m. Gerry then got up at approximately 9:04 p.m. and when he went to check at this time he said the door to Madeleine and the twins' room was more open than how they'd left it.

Would assume, that the data from the local provider are based on the current local time.

A possible time delay has been diacussed in here before as well. No offence, bute due to the fact of a few new active participiants in the thread, i assume to read it from the beginning, even if 30 pages seem to be a lot of work to do!;)

Last edited:
This means, if true, the call would have ended at 9:02 p.m.? Everybody else in their party was seated at the Tapas at approximately 9:00 p.m. Gerry then got up at approximately 9:04 p.m. and when he went to check at this time he said the door to Madeleine and the twins' room was more open than how they'd left it.
I’d be surprised if police hadn’t thought of the UTC / Local time zone aspect already .. so is a real longshot enquiry..
However mix-ups can occur with units etc …NASA lost a Mars orbiter probe in 1999 due confusion between metric / imperial measurements..

I am talking here of ...683 phone.

...680 phone activated PdL Centre mast.

...683 outside PdL.
What are the PDL antennas that are stated in the PJ files? Are they different from the mast? Because they noticed a driver for the Ocean Club had activated the PDL antenna's when he talked to his wife that night.

Would assume, that the data from the local provider are based on the current local time.
You would think so … but is there just a chance that these particular logs are not .. for some reason or another ..?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member