Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really does look like a big search.

It certainly looks like movement of sorts. I'm not sure what to think though in terms of it being significant movement. We shall see.

HCW's statement is as riddled with unnecessary ambiguity and tabloid-teasing detail as ever. I wonder why he just doesn't say something along the lines of 'We are acting on infomation received and will release a statement when our search is complete.' No one would or should expect more from him than that.

Instead we have his usual 'we know this but we can't tell you' word salad: -

Hans Christian Wolters said the authorities "have grounds to believe that we could find evidence there (in the reservoir)".
In a separate statement to German TV channel RTL, Mr Wolters said he could not "give any concrete information" on the clues on which the search operation is based. "They are not tips that come from the accused... but you can imagine that we don`t start searching somewhere in Portugal on the off chance, but that there must be a good reason for it. We do have one, but I ask for your understanding that I cannot disclose it here at the moment for tactical reasons."

Last edited:

This clip shows a summary of search so far …
Haven’t seen any footage of anyone using any ground penetrating sonar / radar equipment .. has anyone else ?
Not sure how these searches are normally conducted .. but I’d expected to see such equipment being used …
Hmm, it does look like they know exactly what they are looking for and where. I hope they find it.

The fact that the MCs made this into the big thing that it is does tend (to me) to exclude the possibility that they had anything to do with it. If they had anything to hide, the better bet would be to let it fade from public consciousness.

Of course, it could be that they have something more discreditable to conceal than merely leaving the kids unattended. Seeking media attention could be a cynical attempt to do exactly what someone culpable would clearly not do; the episode could make them look bad as doctors, and thus jeopardise both livelihoods - all sort of speculation is possible. Actual evidence is thin on the ground, however.

Personally I've no dog in the fight and would simply like her found. I can't help a nagging doubt that CB may simply be one of many pervs in the area, though, and that as well as some aspects of the case and timings fit him, it doesn't mean a lot until we establish that they only fit him.
It is surely highly unusual for a retired senior police officer to come down so firmly for a suspect in the midst of an active case, so I don’t find it surprising that the seeds of doubt may have lingered.

But why would the police do that?
Or if they would, why didn’t they do it long before now? Allegedly there are plenty of paedophiles in the Algarve to chose from, although one suspects not any more so than any other area blessed with sun, sea and sand.

The Portuguese suspected EM. He died but they didn’t attempt to pin it on him and continued looking.

The British could have gone for paedophile RH, who had admitted to them that he had seen MM during her stay in Luz. He died and it would have been easy enough to fit him up too but they didn’t.

The difference between CB and other paedophiles who were not incriminated by investigators is that the German investigators are convinced they have evidence against him.

HCW said, that PJ is working in administrative assistance for german BKA.

So it has been confirmed already, that all of this is an operation made by the german prosecutors.

The main question is, where possible evidence would be investigated. BKA could ask for portugese forensic experts to examine possible findings, that's for sure. The fact, BKA partially turned up with it's own equipment indicates, that it will be examined in germany.

HCW said, that PJ is working in administrative assistance for german BKA.

So it has been confirmed already, that all of this is an operation made by the german prosecutors.

The main question is, where possible evidence would be investigated. BKA could ask for portugese forensic experts to examine possible findings, that's for sure. The fact, BKA partially turned up with it's own equipment indicates, that it will be examined in germany.
That seems like a nice problem to have (ie where to examine/who examines the evidence). Hopefully we get to the point where that question matters.

It certainly looks like movement of sorts. I'm not sure what to think though in terms of it being significant movement. We shall see.

HCW's statement is as riddled with unnecessary ambiguity and tabloid-teasing detail as ever. I wonder why he just doesn't say something along the lines of 'We are acting on infomation received and will release a statement when our search is complete.' No one would or should expect more from him than that.

Instead we have his usual 'we know this but we can't tell you' word salad: -

Fromwhat I've heard, read 3 pages back info is from photos found at his house.

That seems like a nice problem to have (ie where to examine/who examines the evidence). Hopefully we get to the point where that question matters.
Well, if you ask me, it seems to be more important to find something to examine at first!

Let's await the outcome of the ongoing operation. Everything else is nothing more than pure speculation right now. What i've seen so far triggers me a lot. Are they really looking for human remains, or something else?

It's may, like it was in 2007. It seems to be dry in general. The soil or ground seems to be dry and hard. How easy would it be, to bury a body in this kind of environment?

Imho there must be some kind of concrete tipp-off, what could be found in that area!

I have to admit, that i am very curious at the moment....

Last edited:
That doesn't sound very strong. Surely there must be more to it than that.
I've just seen video and part of media report 3 pages back, you're welcome to check it out to double check me.

after spending 6 weeks following 2 murder trials on the same day, I've had a break and just come back.

I don't follow this case but BBC has had Jim Gamble on regarding this new search and he seems to think they have something concrete in terms of search parameters and a viable suspect in CB and that any search will carried out professionally and responsibly. Link to article and BBC coverage below.

Fromwhat I've heard, read 3 pages back info is from photos found at his house.

Hi altojack, all I can remember reading on here is that CB had photos (in presumably his possession via whatever evidence the BKA is in possession of) of this particular place/area and, according to someone else, regarded it as his (paraphrasing, I can't find the post) sanctuary of sorts ie. a place he loved. I don't recall reading anything other than that. Was there more to it other than it being a place CB liked to visit? Something significant about the photos that led to this current search?

I did have a look 3 pages back but couldn't find a relevant post. If there is one, and you know where it is, could you please point me to it.

Last edited:
Portuguese police aided by German and British colleagues on Tuesday resumed their search for Madeleine McCann, the British child who disappeared in the country’s southern Algarve region 16 years ago.

Between 20 and 30 officers, some in uniform, could be seen in the area by the Arade dam, about 30 miles from Praia da Luz, where the 3-year-old was last seen alive in 2007.

Portuguese police had set up a blue base tent and cordoned off the area to the media and public. Eyewitnesses said police began searching shortly before 8 a.m. Tuesday in an area some miles away from the tent. More than a dozen cars and police vans could be seen arriving in the area.

On Monday, Portuguese detectives issued a statement saying the search was being resumed at the request of German authorities and with help from British officials...

Did marcos (the lawyer/solicitor) recover bones when he funded his search? I vaguely remember a discussion about the search but can’t remember what he said he found.

Hi altojack, all I can remember reading on here is that CB had photos in presumably his possession of this particular place/area and, according to someone else, regarded it as his (paraphrasing, I can't find the post) sanctuary of sorts ie. a place he loved. I don't recall reading anything other than that. Was there more to it other than it being a place CB liked to visit? Something significant about the photos that led to this current search?

I did have a look 3 pages back but couldn't find a relevant post. If there is one, and you know where it is, could you please point me to it.
Pretty much spot on. I didn't hear the whole video as I was rushing trying to catch up here and a couple of other cases.

Page 40 post 796. My mind is a blank as to how to get it here on iPad, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member