Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is about MM and the suspect CB and the eventual link. But as @Okapi recalled so well: No crime is an island. With CB, it will not be at all.
Shame on PJ in how these crimes went almost unnoticed and not investigated at the time. At least, they have been dug up, although too diluted and too late. Where would be CB now if that single hair wasn't found in DM’s case?

Hope that with HB’s case and others, they are able to keep in for many years, this disgusting creature and the danger he represents.
I really can't put emotion and feelings aside and be comfortably writing just “on the ice” of lack of demonstrated evidence.
Who found the single hair in the DM case?

I agree about the patterns, Denis. What was the intrinsic motivation? Particularly in the case of his conviction (for the sake of argument ;-)) filming the assault of DM. I puzzle over whether this was a gratuitous or economic decision. Total musing of course.

I’m inclined to think his motivation was his need for materials to upload. The Dark Web website rules are you pay or you upload new videos.

I’m inclined to think his motivation was his need for materials to upload. The Dark Web website rules are you pay or you upload new videos.
The alleged attack against HB was 2004 and it was recorded.

If CB’s motivation was dark web uploads, he would have had to have been a very early adopter, Tor was released in 2002. Even the term “Dark Web” wasn’t in use until 2009.

Would a German drifter living in the Algarve have the understanding, means and technology to be able to access the dark web?

I know MT said he was on the dark net but I wonder what he meant.

It was interesting that it was complete with the root also; by no means all lost hairs have their roots.
Is it known out of interest did the Germans ask for the hair sample for DNA purposes or did the Portuguese ask for CBs DNA for comparison? either way it shows a cooperation.

If CB’s motivation was dark web uploads, he would have had to have been a very early adopter, Tor was released in 2002. Even the term “Dark Web” wasn’t in use until 2009.

Would a German drifter living in the Algarve have the understanding, means and technology to be able to access the dark web?

Not forgetting the upload speeds, pretty woeful back then, plus a decent computer needed.

It was interesting that it was complete with the root also; by no means all lost hairs have their roots.
Nor is a root actually necessary for DNA extraction from hairs that have no root.
From just one source which indicates the possibility ~
The cell contains two copies of nuclear DNA, but hundreds of copies of mitochondrial DNA, some of which remain intact even when the cell dies. Therefore, such a DNA sample may be extracted from a hair even if its root is not available.
Forensic advances might even allow bacteria from pubic hair to identify rapists, for example ~ "Like fingerprints or DNA, the bacteria on a person’s pubic hairs are distinct and could help forensic experts identify sexual offenders in rape cases, according to a study published Tuesday in the journal Investigative Genetics."

What I found interesting is the fact that CB claimed in his defence against aggravated rape, not that he had never been in DM's bed so he couldn't have left his hair there, but it was carried in from outside ~ the mind boggles. And the court did not believe him and put women in the Algarve out of harms way from him for seven years.

From the Scottish Daily Mail
"The court heard DNA linked a body hair found on the woman’s bed to CB, who was living less than a mile away from the woman.

He denied the attack, claiming the hair could have been transferred to the woman’s bed on the back of her cat after he petted it outside her house, which was on his way to the beach."

In court Brueckner was said to have come across as ‘eloquent’ and was seen leafing through legal texts as evidence was heard."

Nor is a root actually necessary for DNA extraction from hairs that have no root.
The cell contains two copies of nuclear DNA, but hundreds of copies of mitochondrial DNA, some of which remain intact even when the cell dies. Therefore, such a DNA sample may be extracted from a hair even if its root is not available.
Forensic advances might even allow bacteria from pubic hair to identify rapists, for example ~ "Like fingerprints or DNA, the bacteria on a person’s pubic hairs are distinct and could help forensic experts identify sexual offenders in rape cases, according to a study published Tuesday in the journal Investigative Genetics."

What I found interesting is the fact that CB claimed in his defence against aggravated rape, not that he had never been in DM's bed so he couldn't have left his hair there, but it was carried in from outside ~ the mind boggles. And the court did not believe him and put women in the Algarve out of harms way from him for seven years.

"The court heard DNA linked a body hair found on the woman’s bed to CB, who was living less than a mile away from the woman.

He denied the attack, claiming the hair could have been transferred to the woman’s bed on the back of her cat after he petted it outside her house, which was on his way to the beach."

In court Brueckner was said to have come across as ‘eloquent’ and was seen leafing through legal texts as evidence was heard."
How fortunate then that it was not just any old hair, but a pubic hair.

I think CB's conviction for the possession of images of the type for which he merited that criminal conviction rather negates too much wondering about his motivation.
I think investigators probably don't need to speculate too much on his activities as we do - I think they know quite a bit of them.

Whatever the "dark web" might have been known as in the past, its adherents have always populated the underbelly of the internet in one shape or other of bestial form. And they will continue to do so.
My opinion

Is it known out of interest did the Germans ask for the hair sample for DNA purposes or did the Portuguese ask for CBs DNA for comparison? either way it shows a cooperation.
Interestingly CB's lawyers did not question the validity of the evidence presented which implies it had an impeccably strong root in the line of evidence.

They used cat petting instead.

IMO he should have had a few options out of the many he stole.

We know for sure he stole DM's computer and took it with him when he had finished with her.

I think there is a danger that her ordeal at the hands of this very violent man has been underrated. She was put in absolute fear for her life.

I’m dystechnical, but if used a camcorder presumably with those fiddly analog tapes, that would have been a nuisance to replicate.
We had one for when our children were growing up, we transferred the film to vhs tape, proper faff with editing as well.Last year we found a company who managed to convert the vhs tapes to digital, they are now in the clouds.

I have seen it argued in another place that it didn't necessarily have to have specifically been a pubic hair since the terminology used covered the body from head to toe.
Giving a list of "facial hair, chest, leg, armpit hair and other corporeal hair."

One could almost be led to believe that CB had no legal representative arguing his case in court if all this arrant nonsense is seriously believed.

Incredibly I have also seen innuendo focused on this one, single hair. Totally amazing the depths some CB internet apologists will plumb.
My opinion

I have seen it argued in another place that it didn't necessarily have to have specifically been a pubic hair since the terminology used covered the body from head to toe.
Giving a list of "facial hair, chest, leg, armpit hair and other corporeal hair."

One could almost be led to believe that CB had no legal representative arguing his case in court if all this arrant nonsense is seriously believed.

Incredibly I have also seen innuendo focused on this one, single hair. Totally amazing the depths some CB internet apologists will plumb.
My opinion
It could be argued then that CB is not as forensically astute as some would have us believe .

Nuclear DNA can be recovered from a rooted hair, while only mitochondrial DNA cn be recovered from a rootless hair. Nuclear DNA identifies individuals, mitochondrial DNA only identifies groups of people. Therefore the hair must have been rooted to give an exact match to CB.

I don't think it matters.

I think that CB left a biological trace behind him which was recovered at the time of the offence and checked as a matter of course when the cold case was investigated and the evidence looked at as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08