Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #39

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would CB be writing to friends for character witness for a trial that isn't even had a date set , why would a judges ask some one to appear unless they had actually witnessed something of note, With CB incarcerated it would more likely to be a social worker appointed by the prison service. It's a nonsense story because nothing is happening.
It is a tabloid article which doesn't necessarily make it nonsense.

It is known that CB does write to people and if he thinks some may wish to speak on his behalf, he is entitled to ask. Just because the German courts have recently been in recess doesn't necessarily mean that there has been no background work taking place both on behalf of the defence and the prosecution.

It would be remiss if that was not the case.
My opinion.

German trials are very different from proceedings in either Britain or America and it is difficult for us to appreciate the nuances exactly. For example the record of events is not a transcript which may be why there is so little information about the DM rape trial. Nor are witnesses necessarily sworn in.

Snip
The lack of formal rules of evidence makes it unnecessary to fill great numbers of pages with a detailed stenographic report of everything that is said at the trial.

The purpose of the minutes is to show the general course of the trial, the observance of the required formalities, and the main contents of statements made by accused, witnesses and experts.

Therefore the minutes contain only the following items:
  1. the time and place of the trial,
  2. the names of the judges and other persons participating,
  3. a brief characterization of the charges and a description of important and required steps and events,
  4. a record of incidental rulings,
  5. very. summary records of statements made by the defendant, witnesses, and experts,
  6. the contentions and prayers of prosecution and defense,
  7. the sentence ( StPO 272, 273).
Great responsibility attaches to the recorder, since he himself drafts the abridgments of statements, even as they are being made to the court.
The minutes are, the only evidence for the observance of any rules concerning formalities of the procedure.
The record is unimpeachable, except that deliberate falsification of the record may be proved (StPO 274)

The focus is very much on the accused who has the first word and the last should he so wish at trial
So I don't think there is anything untoward about a suspect like CB being able to contact witnesses to ask for character references for him at trial.
My opinion

Not to be out done the Mirror had another article.
Desperate calls although he wrote to the anonymous" friends"

Well, tabloid titillation aside, CB may well be writing to past friends and asking for 'character' references in the event that the charges against him find a home. We know he writes, a lot, so that wouldn't/shouldn't be a surprise. We know at least 2 of the 5 charges against him don't have any mitigating factors (the two witnessed child ones), and we also know the HazelB one has all the hallmarks of the DM one. I think he knows he's on a hiding to nothing if/when the jurisdiction issue is sorted out and he has to account for himself so it wouldn't be at all surprising that he's trying to get some ducks in a row.

But none of which has anything at all to do with MM.

Last edited:
Well, tabloid titillation aside, CB may well be writing to past friends and asking for 'character' references in the event that the charges against him find a home. We know he writes, a lot, so that wouldn't/shouldn't be a surprise. We know at least 2 of the 5 charges against him don't have any mitigating factors (the two witnessed child ones), and we also know the HazelB one has all the hallmarks of the DM one. I think he knows he's on a hiding to nothing if/when the jurisdiction issue is sorted out and he has to account for himself so it wouldn't be at all surprising that he's trying to get some ducks in a row.

But none of which has anything at all to do with MM.
I agree that none of this has anything at all to do with MM. At this particular moment in time it all centres very much on CB and the temporary rescinding of the five serious offences for which he was charged in October 2022.

Ultimately though investigators will get round to dealing with the CB V MM scenario. Which is only right since CB would never have been in the frame for DM's aggravated rape without MM.
Just as he would never have been charged with the five serious cases he was without the MM investigation. Particularly not the mirror image of DM's rape which HB recognised because it had happened to her.
My opinion

The Mail is repeating the story, now if you believe the tale of CB writing for help, what's not to be believed about HeB saying he might withdraw his statements.

He was paid a huge sum to repeat his statement in a German newspaper and now he's pulling the plug,' a German source said.

'It just goes to show you what type of people you are dealing with — and their credibility as witnesses.'

I mean this is the real issue here

It just goes to show you what type of people you are dealing with — and their credibility as witnesses.'

HeB went out and splashed his testimony in a newspaper so he is tied in to it now (no doubt he has already made formal statements). The issue is how credible is it.

At least they put the story to HCW who pointed out that isn't how anything works. This is all very silly coverage.

HeB went out and splashed his testimony in a newspaper so he is tied in to it now (no doubt he has already made formal statements). The issue is how credible is it.

At least they put the story to HCW who pointed out that isn't how anything works. This is all very silly coverage.
The issue then becomes if the witness credibility is questioned is the case against CB in regards to MM called into question.

The issue then becomes if the witness credibility is questioned is the case against CB in regards to MM called into question.
the problem is he can be tempted to make claims for money basically...the bigger the claims the more he can ask for so then it becomes a case of how credible that makes him

The credibility of HB and MS's evidence which was given to the police lies in the fact that it told exactly the same story of CB's depravity that was on record in police files regarding the 2005 aggravated rape of DM.

The case was proven in 2019 when CB became a suspect as a result of the information received which enabled a DNA match to confirm his culpability.
No matter how many letters CB writes to try to get old acquaintances to say what a good guy he is the facts of the evidence against him already tell a very different story.

Snip
Both men claimed the camcorder contained scenes of sexual violence and torture against two women and they recognised CB in the footage and it was this testimony that led to him being convicted of raping a 73-year-old woman in the Algarve the year before Madeleine vanished.

The witness credibility is tainted by the fact they are criminals. Much as the fact that convictions for rape and paedophilia don't cast too positive a light on CB.

It is the proven quality of the evidence which will be the main factor here. Not the fact that two criminals have grassed up on an even more depraved criminal who has a record of recording his heinous exploits in still images and video.

CB is a proven monster who has somehow incredibly attracted a following of sorts because he is the only suspect in MM's case.

My opinion

The Mail is repeating the story, now if you believe the tale of CB writing for help, what's not to be believed about HeB saying he might withdraw his statements.

He was paid a huge sum to repeat his statement in a German newspaper and now he's pulling the plug,' a German source said.

'It just goes to show you what type of people you are dealing with — and their credibility as witnesses.'

Fellow criminals are highly unlikely to be the backbone of the case against CB in relation to crimes against MM, despite helping police with their inquiries in 2017 by naming CB.

CB was hiding in open sight for years. The police will have access to bona fide witness who are not criminals now that criminals have provided the key.

Snip

Madeleine McCann's resort nanny quizzed by police over new suspect five days after she disappeared

New suspect CB was on Portuguese detectives radar less than a week after the tot vanished from the resort.

Investigating officers told her his name on May 8, 2007 at the family’s holiday apartment in the Algarve resort of Praia da Luz.

Now questions are being raised about the the initial handling of the probe since CB was of interest from the start.

The nanny told the Mirror today: “I was shown identikits the day after they took my statement [about her time with Madeleine].

I see all the latest is from the sun, but others are quoting it, some truth in it?

Perhaps he's now realised should it go to trial he may well be asked some searching questions by the judges.

From the sun article, HCW is quoted.

McCann probe prosecutor Hans Christian Wolters said he was unaware of Helge B's suspected change of heart — but insisted his statement would still carry weight.

He said: “Anyone who has said something must be measured by it. Witnesses are subject to the duty of truth — they have to testify. You can’t just choose something like that.”

Last edited:
I see all the latest is from the sun, but others are quoting it, some truth in it?

looks as if fellow criminals might be the backbone of the case against CB after all if this is to be believed

Definitely some truth in it because we all saw his chat with Bild's Kai Feldhaus. He's clearly not a contented man/witness. We don't need 'a German source' to know that.

Definitely some truth in it because we all saw his chat with Bild's Kai Feldhaus. He's clearly not a contented man/witness. We don't need 'a German source' to know that.
Of course there is truth in it. If memory serves me well we have all seen the video displaying his angst. But the Genie is well and truly out of the bottle and cannot be stuffed back in no matter how much some might like it to be.

Why though does there seem to be an assumption that Scotland Yard, prosecutors and the BKA took this man's word at face value without checking it out?

He is indeed very clearly not a very contented witness as has been apparent for some time.

Continuing from behind a paywall -

The witness wearing a mask says he saw videos that have now disappeared

Published on 23.10.2022

The public prosecutor's office has charged CB with three rapes. She has a key witness who claims to have seen evidence. It was also he who gave the decisive clue to CB in one of the most famous criminal cases in the world. How credible is the man?

The man, who is probably one of the most important witnesses of recent years for the Braunschweig public prosecutor's office, wears a bulletproof vest and a black mask. He stands in the open air, behind him a grove is recognizable, the sky is blue. HB is in Corsica, he is giving a video interview, and for this he has dressed as if he wanted to go to war right away.

"You don't know who you're messing with," he murmurs into the camera in a dark voice. "This is a highly dangerous thing," the disguised witness continues. "You know that people fell off the stairs? The detective, who had been researching for years, died," says HB.

It's still desperately messy though.

It's bizarre, to say the least, that a key witness for a case still under investigation is blabbing away to the press/tabloids in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members