Malaysia airlines MH370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
When Richard Godfrey made the bold claim on 60 Minutes last month that he knew the precise location of missing flight MH370, many were sceptical.
The retired aerospace engineer remains adamant it will take just one more search of the area he has pinpointed in the southern Indian Ocean for this great aviation mystery to finally be solved.

That search is now closer to being a reality.

Possible search for missing flight MH370 reignites hope for families

Does anyone know why they need the Malaysian government to be onboard with a new search being funded by someone other than the Malaysian government? From the article posted above:

However, Ocean Infinity still needs the approval of the owners of the airline — the Malaysian authorities — to embark on the multimillion-dollar mission.

"The more pressure that's applied to the Malaysian government by families, the more likely they are to say yes. They need to get behind Ocean Infinity on this," Foley said.

Does anyone know why they need the Malaysian government to be onboard with a new search being funded by someone other than the Malaysian government?

Maybe if the plane is found, the Malaysian government would be on the hook for a lot of the recovery costs? Or maybe others are not allowed to have access to proprietary info the plane might have?

MOO.

Not sure. Those are my speculations....

Ocean Infinity Commits to new Search in 2023 or 2024.
1084904A-6D7A-4D4B-957F-817373102E98.jpeg

5ECBBF5C-C6D7-409F-9B62-03F754882627.png

In this article is the full presentation made by Mr. Plunkett.

“So it is not something that we’ve forgotten or we will forget, and we want to come and do it. There’s a lot of stuff to sort out between now and 2023. So, we’re going to try and make it happen. And if not, it’s 2024.

Ocean Infinity commits to new search for MH370 in 2023 or 2024 - Airline Ratings

Ocean Infinity Commits to new Search in 2023 or 2024.
View attachment 337492

View attachment 337491

In this article is the full presentation made by Mr. Plunkett.

“So it is not something that we’ve forgotten or we will forget, and we want to come and do it. There’s a lot of stuff to sort out between now and 2023. So, we’re going to try and make it happen. And if not, it’s 2024.

Ocean Infinity commits to new search for MH370 in 2023 or 2024 - Airline Ratings
So from the link above, it seems plans were sidetracked by Covid (wow, so many things were affected, lengthened, blamed on Covid!) AND the Malaysian government is indeed on the hook for *all* of the cost(??), but only IF Infinity finds MH370, but otherwise, the cost is taken on in its entirety by Ocean Infinity. That is my interpretation anyway. And if that is the case, then Ocean Infinity has got to be incredibly certain the data they're basing the new search on is reliable, which is really hopeful? The 'Grace' referred to in the sentence must be 'Grace Subathirai Nathan' mentioned in this article, imho, the daughter of one of MH370's passengers: MH370: eight years on from the plane’s disappearance, Ocean Infinity commits to new search

“So, the guys have been working, thinking about it, and we’ve got a plan. The point now is to say, for the first time since early 2020, we’ve got clarity on the plan for where we search. We’ve got clarity for the availability of our assets and therefore, we’re in a position to sensibly re-engage in the conversation and say, to the Malaysian government, that we’re ready to go back and carry on. We will of course, approach it on the same basis as we did before, which is, as Grace says, that kind of, “no win, no fee.”

I'm not sure where I came across this info today, nor whether it has already been noted/discussed/posted here, but it seems some believe there is more to Ocean Infinity's quest to find MH370 (a treasure-hunting mission). I found this link from 4 years ago, but when I first read it, it was from a more current article: MH370: mystery of the private company behind renewed search

A review of search data from the original Australian Transport Safety Bureau-led search for the missing MH370 aircraft has concluded that it is highly unlikely there is an aircraft debris field within the reviewed search area.

In late January 2022, the ATSB asked Geoscience Australia to undertake a review of some of the sonar imagery collected during the original search for MH370, conducted between October 2014 and January 2017.   

The ATSB made the request after British aerospace engineer Richard Godfrey proposed an impact location for MH370 within an area surveyed during the original ATSB-led search, after his analysis of Weak Signal Propagation Reporter (WSPR) data.   

“The Geoscience Australia report notes that it is highly unlikely that there is an aircraft debris field within the area reviewed,” said ATSB Chief Commissioner Angus Mitchell.

The review identified 11 objects not analysed during the original search. However, none were assessed to be from an aircraft wreckage debris field.

Eight of the objects were assessed as most likely geological features, and while three were identified as anthropogenic (ie not naturally occurring), none were determined to be associated with an aircraft.

Geoscience Australia Chief Executive Officer Dr James Johnson said over a two-month period, a team of experts had reviewed a band of high-resolution sonar imagery spanning 4,900 square kilometres.   

News: MH370 data review

There is a link to download the data review within this link: https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2014/aair/ae-2014-054/

Just saw this but don't know if it is new or a re-airing of an old broadcast. I also don't know where the Channel 5 is or what channel it will be for cable viewers.

*Flight MH370: The Vanishing, is a three-part series airing on Channel 5 at 9pm on Monday 30 May, Tuesday 31 May and Wednesday 1 June

Just saw this but don't know if it is new or a re-airing of an old broadcast. I also don't know where the Channel 5 is or what channel it will be for cable viewers.

*Flight MH370: The Vanishing, is a three-part series airing on Channel 5 at 9pm on Monday 30 May, Tuesday 31 May and Wednesday 1 June

Looks like it might be a new broadcast, as this article dated today is about the 3-part series. Not sure what 'channel 5' would be though.

ETA: Although, you're right, it's hard to tell... because that article I just linked, says the title of the show is this, which was apparently aired back in 2014. Don't you love the internet?

Many of these theories are explored in a new Channel 5 documentary, The Disappearance of Flight MH370: 14 Days That Gripped The World, which airs this week, promising to look at what really happened.

Last edited:
Looks like it might be a new broadcast, as this article dated today is about the 3-part series. Not sure what 'channel 5' would be though.

ETA: Although, you're right, it's hard to tell... because that article I just linked, says the title of the show is this, which was apparently aired back in 2014. Don't you love the internet?

Many of these theories are explored in a new Channel 5 documentary, The Disappearance of Flight MH370: 14 Days That Gripped The World, which airs this week, promising to look at what really happened.
Your link looks to be this site I just found. It may be a streaming service of some sort for tv or web like Netflix. I didn't click on it to go any further though and don't know if there are any charges. They do spell program as programme so it may be from overseas.

Your link looks to be this site I just found. It may be a streaming service of some sort for tv or web like Netflix. I didn't click on it to go any further though and don't know if there are any charges. They do spell program as programme so it may be from overseas.

I am right now watching the first of the 3 parts of this documentary to be shown over 3 consecutive nights.

I am in the UK and Channel 5 - which it is being shown on - is one of our main terrestrial television channels.

My5 is the streaming web of Channel 5 that I think probably the documentary will streamable on after.

Very interesting, talking to many of the same people from the airline as have been in previous documentaries, but also a number of people who lost family members.

Last edited:

It is new. Date at end of the first programme gives 2022 at the end of the credits.

This doc you refer to is from 2014.

It is not the same as the new 3 part doc showing this week in the UK.

Last edited:

Channel 5’s Flight MH370: The Vanishing is a rare disaster documentary done right​

The first of three films delicately untangled the heartbreaking loss from the baffling mystery​

Jiang Hui MH370: The Enigma of the Lost Flight Episode 1 - The Vanishing TV still Channel 5 Provided by Charles.Fearn@vimn.com
Jiang Hui lost his mother on flight MH370 (Photo: Vice/Channel 5)

The disappearance in March 2014 of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 was both an unspeakable tragedy and a baffling mystery. How could a passenger jet carrying 239 people go missing during a routine flight, from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with no clues left behind as to what happened?

Flight MH370: The Vanishing, Vice Studio’s exhaustive three-part documentary about the incident, faced the difficult task of combining these two elements.

It would have to unpick the many conspiracy theories that flourished in the wake of the plane’s disappearance while remaining mindful that this was a real tragedy with real victims. I wondered how it could do both without tying itself in knots – or underselling a gripping story.

To my surprise, it walked that tightrope with considerable skill: no attempt was made to minimise the horror of what happened when contact was lost 38 minutes after take-off, nor to downplay the callousness of the Malaysian authorities, who at one point contacted the families of the missing passengers by text to share their conclusion that MH370 had crashed, killing everyone on board.

“In China, releasing news like that is considered a disregard for human life,” said Jiang Hui, who lost his mother when MH370 went off the map. “I thought that was a stroke of stupidity,” said another contributor. “It was insane.”

The heartless texts were bad enough. But authorities also spent weeks being evasive about their investigation into the disappearance and stonewalled the media, and into that information vacuum flooded a deluge of conspiracy theories.

Was the pilot responsible? What about two Iranian students travelling under forged passports? Why did the plane turn around shortly after departure? How to explain a lack of crash debris in the South China Sea?

With three 50-minute episodes with which to tell the story – parts two and three air tomorrow and Wednesday evening – the first instalment mainly focused on the shock of those on the ground as word spread about the flight.

WHEN Blaine Gibson tracked down the first piece of debris from missing Malaysian airline MH370, the families of the 239 victims on board hailed it as a breakthrough.

Relatives desperate for news of the plane - which disappeared after taking off from Kuala Lumpur airport March 8, 2014 - even joined the independent investigator to comb the beaches of Madagascar after Malaysian authorities failed to find any trace.

But, in a new Channel 5 documentary which begins tonight, the Australian wreck hunter says he was dogged by death threats and followed by shadowy figures as he continued his search.

Speaking in MH370: The Vanishing, Blaine said he feared "someone who was trying to prevent Malaysia MH370 from being found might take violent action against me… but I didn’t know who".

He continued: “I started to get death threats from anonymous people. Things like ‘No plane, no Blaine’ and telling me to give up my search.

“One made a call to a friend of mine saying I would not leave Madagascar alive..."

I get this msg:

CA-3000​

Sorry, but you appear to be trying to stream My5 from outside the UK, which is not supported.

If you continue to see this error please visit the My5 Help Centre for more information and advice: https://help.channel5.com

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back