Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what that means... which way it changed course? East or West?

I am only guessing, but think of a circle - 360 degrees. So if the initial route was at the top of the circle, for some reason it went to the other side of the circle. Does that make sense?

So, maybe it went drastically to the left, which would be more north than the route I'm seeing on the news.

I'm not a pilot, though, just trying to figure it out :seeya: I wish a pilot/ATC person would pop in and explain it.

And CNN has gone to Oscar P's trial stuff. Meh. :facepalm:

He spoke in past tense the whole time... the pilot WAS, the co pilot WAS...
They haven't found the plane, there was a lot of details on experience and flight hours.
I didn't hear anything about when the plane went down.

Hopefully someone will upload the whole press conference so we can listen again.
I am HORRIBLE at transcribing when accents are involved. :facepalm:

I am only guessing, but think of a circle - 360 degrees. So if the initial route was at the top of the circle, for some reason it went to the other side of the circle. Does that make sense?

So, maybe it went drastically to the left, which would be more north than the route I'm seeing on the news.

I'm not a pilot, though, just trying to figure it out :seeya: I wish a pilot/ATC person would pop in and explain it.

And CNN has gone to Oscar P's trial stuff. Meh. :facepalm:
Agreed. If it went down as indicated it sounds like a catastrophic event.

I'm watching the BBC World News channel and they didn't even air the press conference, although they are still reporting on the story. The airline has been calling next of kin of the passengers.

Guardian, which generally has timely updates on their live stuff:

Malaysia Airlines lose contact with plane bound for Beijing– live
[from the short presser minutes ago] The nationalities on board have just been released:

China 152 plus one infant, Malaysia 38, Indonesia 12, Australia 7, France 3, US 3 plus one infant, NZ two, Ukraine two, Canada two, Russia 1, Italy one, Taiwan one, Netherlands one and Austria one.

Missing 9 hours now.

Next press conference scheduled for 0500 GMT.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MAS370/history/20140307/1635Z/WMKK/ZBAA/tracklog

Here is the flight tracking information for the flight. It looks like it wasn't in the air very long before things were not being updated anymore. Boggling how a flight could just go "missing" with all the technology there is now. Prayers!

RADAR only tracks things above a certain altitude, so if the plane drops below the radar field it can't be tracked anymore.

From The Aviation Herald:

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

Aviation sources in China report that radar data suggest a steep and sudden descent of the aircraft, during which the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees. The aircraft was estimated to contact Ho Chi Minh Control Center (Vietnam) at 01:20L, but contact was never established.

Yikes.

Unfortunately, it sounds like something broke and the plane lost all ability to control itself and they spiraled down into the sea. Not a pleasant thought, but that's what I think. :sigh:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane-missing/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Malaysia Airlines loses contact with jet carrying 239 people
By Tom Watkins and Chelsea J. Carter, CNN
updated 10:18 PM EST, Fri March 7, 2014

(CNN) -- A passenger flight carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing is missing and would likely have run out of fuel, Malaysia Airlines said Saturday.

"At the moment we have no idea where this aircraft is right now," Malaysia Airlines Vice President of Operations Control Fuad Sharuji said on CNN's "AC360."

Subang Air Traffic Control lost contact with Flight MH370 at about 2:40 a.m. local time (1:40 p.m. ET Friday), Sharuji said....

I agree Steely... I think they dropped like a rock.
I think if the pilots had been able to try an emergency landing, they also would have called it in. :twocents:

The flight was piloted by Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, a Malaysian aged 53. He has a total flying hours of 18,365hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 1981.

First officer, Fariq Ab.Hamid, a Malaysian, is aged 27. He has a total flying hours of 2,763 hours. He joined Malaysia Airlines in 2007.

https://www.facebook.com/malaysiaairlines

Have there been any incidents involving the B777 recently? Wondering what possible malfunction could have occurred that may have previously been identified.

Not just this particular 777 but any involving other airlines as well not necessarily fatal. Wondering if there is any known issues with the B777.

karl wells ‏@karl_wells 4m

Beijing tower lost contact with Malaysia Airlines plane when it was over Ho Chi Min City Vietnam. #CNN

China – 152 plus 1 infant
Malaysia - 38
Indonesia - 12
Australia - 7
France - 3
United States of America – 3 pax plus 1 infant
New Zealand - 2
Ukraine - 2
Canada - 2
Russia - 1
Italy - 1
Taiwan - 1
Netherlands - 1
Austria - 1

https://www.facebook.com/malaysiaairlines

tania branigan ‏@taniabranigan 1m

RT @mpoppel: REU: VIETNAM MARITIME SEARCH AND RESCUE OFFICIAL SAYS NO SIGNAL RECEIVED FROM MISSING MALAYSIA AIRLINES PLANE

Xinhua Intemedia ‏@XinhuaIntemedia 2m

Signal of missing Malaysia Airlines plane has been detected at some 120 nautical miles southwest of Vietnam's southernmost Ca Mau province.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mustanglawton