Max's Scooter

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gone back and properly thanked all the posts which contributed to our new theory. I will be sure to footnote how arriving at our new theory was made possible by each and everyoone of those posts I thanked on this scooter thread. Because I honestly don't think that I would've been able to do the same analysis and arrive at my conclusion/scenario alone, without the benefit of your participation. If you feel that any other posts need to be included too, by all means please let me know.

Thank you.

I just want to say, I am not on board with anyones theory, including my own at this time, I'm still not sure what happened or how and am open to discuss but certainly not on board with any one theory at this time.

ausgirl, is this quote from your original post valid? To whom is it attributed?

10:10 am xz calls 911 but is confused about address. Rebecca began cpr.

what if max was not the one responsible for those marks on the newel, nor the scooter ending up in the foyer?

I think the massive elephant in the room is rebecca's claim that max (despite his head injuries, and horrendously severe, and fatal, asphyxiating injuries) whispered 'ocean' (and not 'mommy'...like most kids would..) -- and the way ocean just happened to be sitting on the landing when people arrived... Because, you know, excitable young dogs are so prone to sitting still in handily incriminating positions, when all about them is chaos..?? :waitasec:

If all this 'ocean' business was a deflection (and i think it was!) -- then why - what was it meant to deflect from? If max's death was so plainly a scooter accident (which i doubt) then why make a case for the dog being to blame?

A sense of guilt for neglecting to keep an eye on max? Or something else?

Eta:

<modsnip>?

Since cpr was not actually administered?

For the record, I agree. I completely concur that the massive elephant in the room is Rebecca. Only one way for the scooter to "land" on top of Max, is if it was placed there in staging an accident.

Whether or not "rescue breaths" or CPR were attempted on Maxie prior to the arrival of EMA only matters because it would prove RZ was being untruthful if she did, in fact, assert that these were her actions.

-----------------------

1. No proof rescue breaths were attempted. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ was being untruthful.
2. Maxfield Shacknai could not say the word "Ocean". This implies the dog was somehow involved in the tragic event. I believe inserting the dog into the scene in this manner goes to staging. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ lied about Max's ability to think and speak utilizing voluntary cognitive actions with a fractured skull and swelling brain received after falling ten to fourteen feet to the first floor.
3. Child Protective Services were notified.
4. Rebecca arranges transporting and boarding for Ocean with the kennel's owner.
5. Rebecca's computer accesses anime websites.
6. AS arrives to support his brother during the family crisis.
7. AS, JS, and RZ have a quick bite for dinner.
8. RZ commits suicide. Regardless of good deeds performed in the past, RZ's name will forever be associated with the malice at the Spreckel's Mansion.

imo & moo

ausgirl, is this quote from your original post valid? To whom is it attributed?

For the record, I agree. I completely concur that the massive elephant in the room is Rebecca. Only one way for the scooter to "land" on top of Max, is if it was placed there in staging an accident.

Whether or not "rescue breaths" or CPR were attempted on Maxie prior to the arrival of EMA only matters because it would prove RZ was being untruthful if she did, in fact, assert that these were her actions.

-----------------------

1. No proof rescue breaths were attempted. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ was being untruthful. Or the first officer who arrived, within 2 minutes did nothing to assist RZ, told her to stop because he was going to "take over" or do you think everyone just stood around, INCLUDING OFFICER ERHARD and watched the child go lifeless?
2. Maxfield Shacknai could not say the word "Ocean". This implies the dog was somehow involved in the tragic event. I believe inserting the dog into the scene in this manner goes to staging. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ lied about Max's ability to think and speak utilizing voluntary cognitive actions with a fractured skull and swelling brain received after falling ten to fourteen feet to the first floor. I agree with you.
3. Child Protective Services were notified. CPS always investigates unwitnessed accidents, RZ was also a mandated reporter. CPS was called when a girl broke her arm on the jungle gym...and there were 25 witnesses. She knew she would "be blamed" from the very start. Would you like me to remind all of what she said to the police officer?
4. Rebecca arranges transporting and boarding for Ocean with the kennel's owner.
Maybe she was told to board the dog. The Niles left also, doesn't mean their actions were sinister, either.
5. Rebecca's computer accesses anime websites. Anybody walking into that house could have accessed the computer...weren't the doors unlocked?
6. AS arrives to support his brother during the family crisis. That's nice.
7. AS, JS, and RZ have a quick bite for dinner. As opposed to a slow bite for dinner? Got me there...."quick bites" are more indicative of a guilt than "slow bites"????
8. RZ commits suicide. (I disagree)Regardless of good deeds performed in the past, RZ's name will forever be associated with the malice at the Spreckel's Mansion. (Many people's names will forever be associated with the malice-at-the-palace.)
I WISH NO ONE HAD EVER BEEN HURT...In my opinion many lies were told to the Mother, in the first place. No Mother should have had the truth hidden from her.
Of course, everything I write is only In My Opinion.

Respectfully snipped.

Hi Carioca, I think any one of those scenarios you mentioned -- planking, etc. -- could have caused Max's fall. <respectfully snipped>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For those of us with math and science knowledge:

The formula for CG of a discrete (as opposed to a continuous) 3-dimensional body is: Xcg = &#8721;xW/&#8721;W for CG along the x-axis, Ycg = &#8721;yW/&#8721;W for CG along the y-axis, and Zcg = &#8721;zW/&#8721;W for CG along the z-axis. xW,yW,zW = directional magnitudes of body; W = weight in magnitude of body; &#8721;=sum of individual components. The point at which all three intersect via vector-analysis (summations by both direction and magnitude) is the center of gravity for the 3-D object.

If you think about this logically, this means that even though Max if standing on the 2nd floor landing on foot has a low CG, the CG can be raised if Max: a) stood on a chair; b) jumped up and climbed on the bannister; c) stepped on Ocean the large Weimaraner; d) stepped on any item that elevated his height, etc.

If you think about this mathematically, if Max was carrying his scooter, his weight with the scooter (the denominators in the CG equation) will always increase because two objects added together always give greater weight. However, the directional magnitudes of the CG (the numerators in the CG equation) will vary, that is, the CG can increase, decrease, or remain the same, depending on where Max held the scooter in relation to his body.

For example, if Max was holding the scooter in the typical fashion as seen in the pics on http://www.letskickscoot.com/home/articles/carry_scooter.cfm, there would be NO WAY NO HOW Max’s CG would be increased enough vertically for Max to fly over railing independently because the x- and z-components of CG would cancel out and/or outweigh that of y-component (vertical) of CG.

In order for the theory that Max was flipping his scooter over his shoulders and at that exact moment he was somehow disoriented by this motion and the scooter with Max's CG raised it sufficiently for Max to fly over the bannister, Max would have to be carrying his scooter in an extended fashion such that the x-, y- and z-components of both Max's and scooter's CG added together would give a vertical CG that sufficiently raises Max’s CG so that he can fly over the bannister. Remember this is vector analysis and vectors can cancel out each other!

This hypothetical COULD happen, for example, if Max fully extended his scooter WHILE FACING THE CHANDELIER and was holding one end of his scooter so that Max plus the scooter's CG is sufficient to overcome gravity. But again, this would depend on the actual dimensions (weight, height, length, etc.) of both Max and the scooter and how exactly the scooter was oriented and positioned with respect to Max, and where Max was standing and facing which objects (e.g., chandelier) while executing this motion. I can only see such a strange action happening if Max was trying to reach the chandelier with the scooter (perhaps as some had proposed to dislodge a soccer ball or he was trying to catch hold of the chandelier with the scooter so he could swing from the chandelier). Other than that, I see no other plausible reason Max would be flipping his scooter over his shoulder while facing the chandelier and that at that precise moment of maximal extension of the scooter, the scooter then caught the chandelier and all (Max, scooter and chandelier) came tumbling down.

Therefore, given the physical evidence of the numerous fresh scrapes and dents made on the railing the day of Max’s accident, it is much more likely that Max was attempting to RIDE his scooter on the railing (as we see many young kids do on scooters in the scooter/skateboard parks) and slipped off, flying into the air and grabbing hold of the chandelier (which at that time had been in a much lower position prior to Jonah renovating the mansion after Max’s accidental fall) and then he, scooter and chandelier then came crashing down with Max sustaining the life-threatening injuries. In short, from Occam's razor, it's most plausible that Max had a freak accident trying to do a scooter stunt on the stairway railings.

Maxie's center of gravity is about even with his hip joints. If he is unassisted, not only must the accident scene provide the mechanism for Maxie's hips to become higher than the railing, his entire body must be in a horizontal position long enough to clear the 4" railing, then change the horizontal direction to a vertical position so his precious head hits first.

The chandelier was hanging 3' from each of the side handrails except from the 2nd floor railing where it was further away more than 3'.

Max would have to hold his scooter and reach toward the chandelier over 3' in an attempt to dismantle a lodged soccer ball. Didn't happen.
Max was intentionally carrying and/or swinging his 7 pound scooter in his arms or on his shoulder while on the stairs that caused an accident. Didn't happen.
Max could not run fast enough for his age to gain the momentum required for him to sail through the air, clearing a 4" railing, toward the chandelier but somehow flip from horizontal to a vertical position so he ends up headfirst. Didn't happen.

1. Max could not prevent his injuries.
2. No proof rescue breaths were attempted. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ was being untruthful.
3. Maxfield Shacknai could not say the word "Ocean". This implies the dog was somehow involved in the tragic event. I believe inserting the dog into the scene in this manner goes to staging. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ lied about Max's ability to think and speak utilizing voluntary cognitive actions with a fractured skull and swelling brain received after falling ten to fourteen feet to the first floor.
4. Child Protective Services were notified by prudent hospital staff.
5. Rebecca arranges transporting and boarding for Ocean with the kennel's owner.
6. Rebecca's computer accesses more than twenty (20) bondage, anime etc type websites.
7. AS arrives to support his brother during the family crisis.
8. AS, JS, and RZ have a quick bite for dinner.
9. RZ commits suicide. Regardless of good deeds performed in the past, RZ's name will forever be associated with the malice at the Spreckel's Mansion.

imo & moo

The chandelier was hanging 3' from each of the side handrails except from the 2nd floor railing where it was further away more than 3'.
Max would have to hold his scooter and reach toward the chandelier over 3' in an attempt to dismantle a lodged soccer ball. Didn't happen.
Max was intentionally carrying and/or swinging his 7 pound scooter in his arms or on his shoulder while on the stairs that caused an accident. Didn't happen.
Max could not run fast enough for his age to gain the momentum required for him to sail through the air, clearing a 4" railing, toward the chandelier but somehow flip from horizontal to a vertical position so he ends up headfirst. Didn't happen.
imo & moo[/COLOR][/SIZE]

snipped and BBM

Would you be so kind as to point to the source of these measurements - the distance from the stair to the chandelier? I could easily have missed it but I don't see it in Melenik or SDSO reports. Thank you.

snipped and BBM

Would you be so kind as to point to the source of these measurements - the distance from the stair to the chandelier? I could easily have missed it but I don't see it in Melenik or SDSO reports. Thank you.

Not exactly the same items or measurements DeDee described, but I assume it was picked up here from Dr. Bove's report -

The electrical box to which the chandelier was attached was located on the ceiling and was over the area in between the two flights of steps which was bordered by the steps, the landing and the edge of the second floor hallway. This opening was approximately 6 feet by 8 feet. The electrical box was over a location approximately three feet away from the southwest wall of the landing and centered between the two flights of steps.

Maxie's center of gravity is about even with his hip joints. If he is unassisted, not only must the accident scene provide the mechanism for Maxie's hips to become higher than the railing, his entire body must be in a horizontal position long enough to clear the 4" railing, then change the horizontal direction to a vertical position so his precious head hits first.

1. Max could not prevent his injuries.
2. No proof rescue breaths were attempted. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ was being untruthful.
3. Maxfield Shacknai could not say the word "Ocean". This implies the dog was somehow involved in the tragic event. I believe inserting the dog into the scene in this manner goes to staging. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ lied about Max's ability to think and speak utilizing voluntary cognitive actions with a fractured skull and swelling brain received after falling ten to fourteen feet to the first floor.
4. Child Protective Services were notified by prudent hospital staff.
5. Rebecca arranges transporting and boarding for Ocean with the kennel's owner.
6. Rebecca's computer accesses more than twenty (20) bondage, anime etc type websites.
7. AS arrives to support his brother during the family crisis.
8. AS, JS, and RZ have a quick bite for dinner.
9. RZ commits suicide. Regardless of good deeds performed in the past, RZ's name will forever be associated with the malice at the Spreckel's Mansion.

imo & moo

I too liked the ball theory, very much. In fact, it was reading about it in the old threads along with reading all the posts on this thread, and then closely examining all the available photographs, that eventually led to my new theory - was it you who came up with the dislodging ball theory? The only problem I have with it, and I say this respectfully, is that it fails to explains such important scene evidence as the damage on the newel post and banister (which wasn't there before the accident) nor does it explain the previously mysterious injuries to Maxie's right shoulder. My emerging scooter theory clearly does even though I still have much work to do on it. Now, of course I realize how self-serving this post might seem. But I think it is important to discuss my theory, our theory if you allow me, because proving that Maxie's fall could have indeed been nothing more than a tragic accident would also completely clear Rebecca, opening the door for entirely new lines of thought and reasoning. But that of course is only my humble opinion too and it is clearly not very popular.

Thank you.

Not exactly the same items or measurements DeDee described, but I assume it was picked up here from Dr. Bove's report -

The electrical box to which the chandelier was attached was located on the ceiling and was over the area in between the two flights of steps which was bordered by the steps, the landing and the edge of the second floor hallway. This opening was approximately 6 feet by 8 feet. The electrical box was over a location approximately three feet away from the southwest wall of the landing and centered between the two flights of steps.

So the bannister is ~3 feet away from the center of the chandelier. I think at some point we knew how wide the chandelier was and IIRC that meant it was about 12-18" out from the bannister. If you consider Max's extended arm and possibly holding on to the scooter, it's an easy reach, I think, to hit the chandelier in a fall. Or to flail the scooter on the way down, a weak link, and it falls to the floor.

BBM - I think we figured all this out at one point, but I couldn't find it.

So the bannister is ~3 feet away from the center of the chandelier. I think at some point we knew how wide the chandelier was and IIRC that meant it was about 12-18" out from the bannister. If you consider Max's extended arm and possibly holding on to the scooter, it's an easy reach, I think, to hit the chandelier in a fall. Or to flail the scooter on the way down, a weak link, and it falls to the floor.

BBM - I think we figured all this out at one point, but I couldn't find it.

Are these dimensions given in Dina's "expert" report?

Were any of these measurements provided by LE?

Lash, even though the info you kindly extend does contain clues, IIRC, someone, possibly time, posted a helpful thumbnail of the floor plans as they pertain to this particular area that includes pertinent measurements of the main landing between the 1st & 2nd floor and such. The schematic does not provide the specific " 3' " distance from the rails on each side as one must use skills & data to determine exactly how the 30"w chandelier was positioned. I feel comfortable with my 3' interpretation but confess to not being a math wizard.

To comport with theories of Max's scooter causing the damage to the newel as the fall occurs, this pic may be helpful.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25435&d=1344538177

With this upper view of the staircase, one can envision the greatest chance of Max clearing the 4"w railing occurs at the beginning of the descending slope. The chandelier is further than 3' away from the railing at this point; yet, initially, his small body must be positioned horizontally, headfirst, directly toward the newel that junctures the main landing with the first floor flight of steps. IOW, at Max's height, and given his required horizontal posture, he probably could not visibly see that particular newel because the chandelier was obstructing it.

When EMT arrived, Max's head was very close to the S curve of the first floor railing that is barely visible between the spindles. That is where his precious body landed with his feet pointing away from the front door entrance.

Incidentally, the view allowed outside the main landing window depicts the sidewalk alongside the Juliet balcony. The sidewalk veering left leads to the driveway. This appears to be the main entrance path utilized to gain entry into the home. I have not determined if someone arriving home via the driveway would have a clear view or even a glimpse of the Juliet balcony. Maybe IP could provide the answer.

Sadly, Max could not prevent his injuries or there would be evidence of wounds to his hands.

imo & moo

1. No proof rescue breaths were attempted. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ was being untruthful. Or the first officer who arrived, within 2 minutes did nothing to assist RZ, told her to stop because he was going to "take over" or do you think everyone just stood around, INCLUDING OFFICER ERHARD and watched the child go lifeless?
2. Maxfield Shacknai could not say the word "Ocean". This implies the dog was somehow involved in the tragic event. I believe inserting the dog into the scene in this manner goes to staging. However, it only matters because it would prove RZ lied about Max's ability to think and speak utilizing voluntary cognitive actions with a fractured skull and swelling brain received after falling ten to fourteen feet to the first floor. I agree with you.
3. Child Protective Services were notified. CPS always investigates unwitnessed accidents, RZ was also a mandated reporter. CPS was called when a girl broke her arm on the jungle gym...and there were 25 witnesses. She knew she would "be blamed" from the very start. Would you like me to remind all of what she said to the police officer?
Maybe she was told to board the dog. The Niles left also, doesn't mean their actions were sinister, either.
5. Rebecca's computer accesses anime websites. Anybody walking into that house could have accessed the computer...weren't the doors unlocked?
6. AS arrives to support his brother during the family crisis. That's nice.
7. AS, JS, and RZ have a quick bite for dinner. As opposed to a slow bite for dinner? Got me there...."quick bites" are more indicative of a guilt than "slow bites"????
8. RZ commits suicide. (I disagree)Regardless of good deeds performed in the past, RZ's name will forever be associated with the malice at the Spreckel's Mansion. (Many people's names will forever be associated with the malice-at-the-palace.)
I WISH NO ONE HAD EVER BEEN HURT...In my opinion many lies were told to the Mother, in the first place. No Mother should have had the truth hidden from her.
Of course, everything I write is only In My Opinion.

IQuestion, I agree with all of your comments in green except I'm not sure that #8 is true. How do we know if Dina was told untruths by anyone about Max's accident? Just because Dina said so and made references to various peeps such as Dr. Peterson, and Nina's hearsay about what Rebecca told her about Max's fall, etc. doesn't mean Dina was telling the truth that others were lying to her.

Are these dimensions given in Dina's "expert" report?

Were any of these measurements provided by LE?

The 6 by 8 foot area between the two staircases is given in Bove's report (above, LASH)

I believe DeDee above may be correct that the chandelier was ~30". I can't remember where that came from, but I do remember figuring this out at one time. Back then I also wondered if Max could have been on the landing with the marks on the post made before the accident.

It seems somehow the 'ring' ended up on the landing too.

So the chandelier would have been at a 3 foot radius going from one stair to the other I believe. Have to recheck if that rectangle makes sense as it kind of seems it should be going the other way. But, subtracting 30"/2 from 3 ft (36") = 21 inches - even at that still within the range of reaching it with the scooter as I mentioned with no real forward acceleration (sorry, I forget if that is the proper term, it's been a long time since physics class). If Max were perhaps standing up (someone just a day or so ago gave a great surfboard explanation), then it certainly is all possible from an accident.

Sorry, the theory wasn't about a surfboard but a skateboard and was in the chandelier poll.

Apparently I voted but don't remember how.

Recently, I did have another theory. I imagine Max trying to mimic skateboard moves with the scooter. He could have pulled it in an upward motion, as if trying to 'ride' the bannister. I've seen this done with skateboards and am always amazed at the dexterity and flexibility those kids have. That maneuver would have put Max's body high enough to go over the railing.

The 6 by 8 foot area between the two staircases is given in Bove's report (above, LASH)

I believe DeDee above may be correct that the chandelier was ~30". I can't remember where that came from, but I do remember figuring this out at one time. Back then I also wondered if Max could have been on the landing with the marks on the post made before the accident.

It seems somehow the 'ring' ended up on the landing too.

So the chandelier would have been at a 3 foot radius going from one stair to the other I believe. Have to recheck if that rectangle makes sense as it kind of seems it should be going the other way. But, subtracting 30"/2 from 3 ft (36") = 21 inches - even at that still within the range of reaching it with the scooter as I mentioned with no real forward acceleration (sorry, I forget if that is the proper term, it's been a long time since physics class). If Max were perhaps standing up (someone just a day or so ago gave a great surfboard explanation), then it certainly is all possible from an accident.

Thanks for all the measurements. That's not enough to do any thorough scientific analysis since we still don't have the dimensions of the scooter, the angles of extension of the scooter, the bannister, newel post, carpet drag, soccerball/chair size, Mas's full height with arms extended, etc.

But I think estimates may be able to be done, and if anyone on Websleuths can do the preliminary science and calculations, I'd trust Cynic. Maybe he'll read this and be able to comment :)

Dr. Bove - Inspection of the Chandelier -

The chandelier, ceiling mount and supporting chain were made available for my inspection on November 15, 2011. Measurements and notes were taken but I was not allowed to take any photographs. The ceiling mount consisted of a 5-1/4 inch diameter metal base with associated glass/crystal. The underside of the metal base had a sticker which had the Underwriters Laboratories logo and the following text &#8220;E48737 Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Incandescent Fixture Issue No. 887742 Suitable for Dry Locations Only.&#8221; There was also sticker that read &#8220;Made in Canada.&#8221; In the center of the metal base and glass/crystal there was a threaded component that had an open ring on the lower end to which the chain attached. The length of metal chain consisting of 81 links was separate from the chandelier. The overall length of the chain was approximately 8 feet 9 inches. An electrical wire approximately 5 feet 4 inches in length was routed through the links at various locations from the top of the chain down to approximately the mid-point of the chain. Each link was oval-shaped with overall exterior dimensions of approximately 45 millimeters by 29 millimeters. The links had a circular cross section with a diameter of approximately 5.7 millimeters. There was minimal separation where the two ends of each link met with the lowest link having a separation greater than the other links. For the lowest link, the separation measured approximately 2.4 millimeters at the outer diameter and approximately 1.8 millimeters at the inner diameter.

The chandelier was approximately 31 inches tall and had an outer diameter of approximately 30 inches. The metal surfaces of the chandelier exhibited apparent oxidation. The lower portion of the chandelier had eight lights radiating from its center axis. Six of the light bulbs in this lower portion were still intact. These lights were surrounded by a bowl formed by hanging strings of glass/crystals. The middle section of the chandelier consisted of 14 candle-shaped lights sitting in glass/crystal cups that each extended from the chandelier&#8217;s center axis on a metal support arm. These candle-shaped lights comprised the widest section of the chandelier. Only three of the light bulbs for these candle-shaped lights in this middle section were intact. Many of the bowl-shaped glass/crystals were not in place and several others were broken. Only two were in place and intact. Several of the supporting metal arms that connected the candle-shaped lights to the center axis were displaced. At the same level there were also 6 candle-shaped lights of varying heights clustered around the center axis. Five of these light bulbs were intact. The top section of the chandelier consisted of 14 decorative metal flumes shaped like inverted hooks. Several of these flumes were bent and displaced. A unit of two insulated copper wires, approximately 3 feet 7 inches in length, protruded from the top of the chandelier along with a separate non-insulated wire approximately 3 feet 9 inches in length. At the top of the chandelier were portions of the fixed metal ring to which a chain would be attached. Only approximately 90 degrees of the circumference of the ring remained attached to the chandelier. This remaining portion was approximately 19 millimeters in height and the ring had a radius of approximately 17 millimeters. The base metal to which the ring was connected and the exposed cross-sectional surface of the ring exhibited signs of apparent metal failure. The existing portion of the ring was an apparent match to a portion of a ring found on the landing and visible in photographs of the scene. The portion of the ring found on the landing was not available for inspection. Additional examination, including photography and/or testing of the chandelier and/or the broken link found on the landing, may allow for a more quantitative analysis of the forces and mechanisms required to cause separation of the chandelier from the chain.

http://media.utsandiego.com/news/documents/2012/08/06/Dr.Bove_Report.pdf

Dr. Bove - Inspection of the Scooter -

The scooter collected from the scene was made available for my inspection on November 15, 2011. Measurements and notes were taken but I was not allowed to take any photographs. The scooter was a Razor® (Cerritos, CA) scooter with serial number YM172C030-03-10062222978. The scooter type was later identified as being marketed by Razor® as a Cruiser scooter. The scooter had an approximately 1/2 inch thick curved fiberglass and wood laminate deck, or foot plate. The scooter had two 5-1/2 inch diameter wheels, with the back wheel attached directly to the deck. The front wheel was attached to a tubular vertical shaft to which the handlebars were attached via a second telescoping vertical shaft. The front wheel could be turned through a full 360 degrees of steer. The deck was curved so that it was higher in the middle and slightly lower near the wheels. The height of the top surface of the deck was approximately 3-3/4 inches above the ground and the front and back portion of the deck was approximately 3-1/4 inches above the ground with the scooter upright. When the scooter was upright and the front wheel was aligned for forward travel, the vertical shaft was angled back approximately 7 degrees from true vertical. Inspection of an exemplar scooter demonstrated that the height of the handlebars could be adjusted by moving the second telescoping vertical shaft up and down after releasing a locking mechanism. A spring loaded indent provided one set vertical position for the handlebar height. The scooter&#8217;s handlebar&#8217;s height was set using this indent and the height of the handlebars was approximately 35 inches from the ground with the scooter upright.

I inspected the scooter for damage. With the wheel aligned forward so that the Razor® logo was facing forward, there were no markings or damage noted on the front face of the vertical shaft except for a small scuff mark on the &#8220;o&#8221; in the Razor® logo, approximately 14-1/2 inches down from the top of the handlebar as measured along the length of the shaft. There were also circumferential linear marks at 9 inches and 9-7/8 inches from the top of the handlebars, as measured along the shaft, which were consistent with being produced by the locking mechanism with the telescoping shaft set at a different height from the height at which it was found. Along the opposite side of the shaft there were no markings except for a slight circumferential mark located approximately 3-1/2 inches from the top of the handlebars, as measured along the length of the shaft. The telescoping locking mechanism, which protruded from the vertical shaft, was pristine.

The front wheel had several white transfer marks on both lateral faces of the wheel, the largest being approximately 2 inches in length. A small flake consistent with a flake of white paint was located adjacent to one of the white transfer marks. There were also white transfer marks on the top and bottom of the front face of the hub connecting the front of the deck to the vertical shaft.

Examination of an exemplar scooter demonstrated that the scooter&#8217;s center of gravity was approximately 7 inches above ground level.

http://media.utsandiego.com/news/documents/2012/08/06/Dr.Bove_Report.pdf

Thanks for all the measurements. That's not enough to do any thorough scientific analysis since we still don't have the dimensions of the scooter, the angles of extension of the scooter, the bannister, newel post, carpet drag, soccerball/chair size, Mas's full height with arms extended, etc.

But I think estimates may be able to be done, and if anyone on Websleuths can do the preliminary science and calculations, I'd trust Cynic. Maybe he'll read this and be able to comment :)
Surely Cynic could do a better job at this. Nonetheless, for whatever it's worth, the attached unscientific illustration demonstrates that adding Max's reach (11-1/2 inches is minimum reach for height of 45 inches) + height of scooter (35 inches), it would have been possible for him to reach the chandelier with the scooter. NOT taken into consideration is the angle created by difference in height of chandelier vs height of railing at reach point. (The chandelier would have been closer to him and at his eye level half way down the stairs, but then the railing is higher than 20 inches at that point.)

It is conceivable Max damaged the newell post and the scooter while trying to lift the scooter up over his shoulder (first jamming it between 2 railings, thus causing the paint marks on both sides of the wheel). Then stretching out his arm while standing at the lowest point in the balcony (20 inches high, thus well below his CG), holding the scooter by the handle bar, he loses his balance, the scooter is momentarily lodged on the chandelier, he falls forward hitting the chandelier as he goes down, thus dislodging the scooter that consequently lands in the foyer near him (plus chandelier), after which the scooter topples over onto his shin. This would explain the lack of bruising on his shin.

Maybe the scooter was already downstairs in the foyer, taken down either the night before or that morning?? Did the detectives even ask Jonah about that?

Attachments

• ms_chandelier.jpg
    ms_chandelier.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 9
  • chandelier.jpg
    chandelier.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online