MD MD - Anne Furst, 83, & Helen Larkin, 56, Aberdeen, 17 Oct 1989

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:great:
Yes. The church the funerals were held at. I don't recall the name off the top of my head but I attended a service there about a year ago and the priest took a moment to recognize the murders.

Would there have been a Guestbook at the funeral, and or funeral home the night before? Seems like anyone in the guest book should have been questioned at the very least…

They were not both in their bedrooms. My mom was in the front living room. My mother was moved fromt the front room to her bedroom, which was the first one. My grandmother was in the second one and came out and that is when she was killed. I can give the layout of the house.

Maxaroad,
There are no media accounts that are at all accurate so we have to go through you directly with questions. Could you clear up the following:

You said that you mother was believed to be in the living room watching TV when the "intruder" arrived. How did they know? Was she "moved" or did she go to the bedroom on her own volition? Was there any sign of a struggle?

Did your mother have any defensive wounds; particularly injuries to her hands? Also, from the location of the blows to her head, was the assailant standing in front of her when she was struck?

The brick was a "paver" from a neighbor's yard. Was there a fence or other barrier separating the yards (i.e. how much trouble was it to get the brick)?

Thanks

Good question. I don't have all the details of how in depth the investigations were. I have formally requested a copy of the police report and am hoping to get it. Unfortunately, I'm in Japan for 4 months so it isn't as easy as if I were there...

Quote...Do you feel that the police adequately explored them and their friends?...End of quote.

That is an avenue I would travel down or at least revisit.

If they have-not already over all this time.

As I understand, the tv was on and there was an unfinished glass of wine in the living room. I would believe she was not moved but probably coerced to the bedroom. She was definitely killed in the bedroom.

I am unaware of other wounds. Hopefully will get the police report and will know more. As far as where the killer hit her, my recollection would lead me to believe in the front. From the brief moments I saw her, I recall the wounds to be around the forehead with significant blood matter behind her. But again, that was brief, 22 years ago and clearly I went right into shock!

Fingers crossed I get the police report.

Maxaroad,
There are no media accounts that are at all accurate so we have to go through you directly with questions. Could you clear up the following:

You said that you mother was believed to be in the living room watching TV when the "intruder" arrived. How did they know? Was she "moved" or did she go to the bedroom on her own volition? Was there any sign of a struggle?

Did your mother have any defensive wounds; particularly injuries to her hands? Also, from the location of the blows to her head, was the assailant standing in front of her when she was struck?

The brick was a "paver" from a neighbor's yard. Was there a fence or other barrier separating the yards (i.e. how much trouble was it to get the brick)?

Thanks

Sorry, didn't answer last question.

No fences....

Maxaroad,

Thanks

The funerals were closed to family members only. All family members were questioned. Several blocks around the church were blocked off at the time of the funerals. No one else was allowed in.

:great:

Would there have been a Guestbook at the funeral, and or funeral home the night before? Seems like anyone in the guest book should have been questioned at the very least…

The funerals were closed to family members only. All family members were questioned. Several blocks around the church were blocked off at the time of the funerals. No one else was allowed in.

maxaroad, was there a combined funeral for you grandfather, grandmother, and mother? Or were they staggered by a few days? TIA.

You said the funerals were closed, but was the viewing of your grandfather closed also? I mean the viewing the night of the murders.

I watched all of the police interviews. All of the officers kept say this murder was personal. They also talked about how well like your mother and grandmother were. They had no enemies.

So now I am going back to your grandfather. I am not typing this based on any factual evidence. I am just throwing ideas out and I hope this does not hurt your feelings. What did he do for a living? I wonder if there is somebody in your grandfather's past who felt wronged by him, very wronged. This person came to the viewing hoping for some closure. Seeing your grandfather did not give this person the closure they desired. Instead it brought those feelings of rage boiling to the surface. Perhaps your grandmother knew about what your grandfather did. Perhaps she even defended him to the perp. Maybe she told him to let it go because it was years ago. The perp returned later that night in a rage.

Is there anybody you can think of with a history of assault or domestic violence? You don't have to name them...Just might give you someone to think of. I have a family member...15 years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed he was anything less than a great guy, but horrible stories have come out lately. Do you have anybody like that in your family?

Did your grandparents have a handiman or someone who took care of their lawn?

Maxaroad,
It's become obvious to me and probably most following this thread, is that this was an "insider"; probably family murder.

You mother must have opened the door for the assailant. No forced entry. You mother didn't live there; she wouldn't open the door for a neighbor or a friend of your grandmother that she didn't know. The "staged" broken window demonstrates that the assailant didn't want anyone to know how they got in.

The details of the assault are not really available but you should be able to get the autopsy. If your perception is accurate, that she died from a few very effective hard blows to the forehead or top of the head without injuries to her hands or forearms. It is probable that she had allowed that person to get close to her and was taken by surprise and hit before she could take a defensive position. Had she perceived a "threat", there would probably be defensive wounds to hands and arms and multiple injuries to the head and shoulders that would occur as she would be struggling to protect herself.

The fact that there is no weapon at the scene and no suitable object missing leads to a pretty obvious conclusion: the assailant brought the weapon with them and therefore planned the killing.

You know the family and who would benefit from the deaths of both Ann and Helen. It is possible that the issue involved something other than inheritance. Generally, LE will keep the family informed if it is believe to be a “Stranger Homicide” but in a “Family Homicide” they will disclose very little information because they do not want the Perp to know what they know.

You might try to find a reporter at a local Newspaper or TV station who would be interested in following up on the case.

Maxaroad,
It's become obvious to me and probably most following this thread, is that this was an "insider"; probably family murder.

You mother must have opened the door for the assailant. No forced entry. You mother didn't live there; she wouldn't open the door for a neighbor or a friend of your grandmother that she didn't know. The "staged" broken window demonstrates that the assailant didn't want anyone to know how they got in.

The details of the assault are not really available but you should be able to get the autopsy. If your perception is accurate, that she died from a few very effective hard blows to the forehead or top of the head without injuries to her hands or forearms. It is probable that she had allowed that person to get close to her and was taken by surprise and hit before she could take a defensive position. Had she perceived a "threat", there would probably be defensive wounds to hands and arms and multiple injuries to the head and shoulders that would occur as she would be struggling to protect herself.

The fact that there is no weapon at the scene and no suitable object missing leads to a pretty obvious conclusion: the assailant brought the weapon with them and therefore planned the killing.

You know the family and who would benefit from the deaths of both Ann and Helen. It is possible that the issue involved something other than inheritance. Generally, LE will keep the family informed if it is believe to be a “Stranger Homicide” but in a “Family Homicide” they will disclose very little information because they do not want the Perp to know what they know.

You might try to find a reporter at a local Newspaper or TV station who would be interested in following up on the case.

kemo- couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for the very concise post. I don't know about family, and certainly do not want to sleuth victims (family.)

I don't think this was a random crime, though. It seems much too targeted. Maybe we could work on routes of travel?

ETA: Does anyone know if police K9s responded to the scene in order to try and trail the person(s) who may have committed this terrible crime? TIA if anyone knows this.

I would also like to know to start thinking about some reasons why Maxa's mom moved to bed room.

Assuming the following sequence of events is correct. Women arrive home. Grandma goes to bed. Mom had a glass of wine and watches television. Perp arrives at the home. Mom lets him in (or he let's himself in). She goes to the bedroom.

Why does she go to the bedroom? Is she forced in or does she go willingly? Does anything about the crime scene answer this question?

If one or both of the brothers believed that your grandmother had witnessed something or had called the police on them, could be motive.

That's an excellent point. I just have a hard time seeing this as a random burglary gone bad or random murder. The method seems too violent to be entirely impersonal and nothing was taken, so what else could they want? If the grandparents had started making complaints to other neighbors or the police about the neighbor's drug usage, it could have made them angry and paranoid and lead to something like this.

It seems like they were targeted to me. It is possible someone could have searched for the paver as an afterthought (or the part of poor planning, which might indicate an unskilled killer such as someone who is covering their drug habit).

Is it possible that the grandmother maybe would have wanted to report something like drug dealing or use next door and the grandfather maybe said not to worry about it? If word got around about that then after the grandfather passed maybe they panicked thinking there was nothing to stop the grandmother from calling the police. Or it could have been done at that time to look like a shafted relative was angry about something will-related.

I am just having a hard time as seeing this as a purely random incident. A few questions for you, Maxa if you have a moment:

1. Based on the personalities of your grandparents, does the scenario I mentioned seem feasible or likely? Did one seem maybe a little more inclined to get angry and report illegal behavior than the other might have been?

I know this is going to be mostly opinion at this point, but I think it may help shed some light on what may have happened. For example, I know my grandmother would have made her unhappiness known to those involved and those nearby, however my grandparents on the other side of my family might have been more inclined to not say anything to keep the peace. Where did your grandmother and grandfather fall in this scale (so to speak)?

2. Did the druggies have any friends among your grandparent's other neighbors that you are aware of? Even people they might have casually spoke to off and on (like someone you might chat with while taking out the trash, etc)? Say someone who might have heard your grandmother or grandfather griping about doing something about the druggies next door that might have warned them or made them aware at some point?

3. I'm assuming not (or it would have been mentioned) but just to confirm, there were no police reports made by your grandparents or other neighbors regarding the illegal activity of the druggie neighbors?

The viewing of my grandfather was open. Don't ever worry about hurting my feelings. I am an open book when it comes to this. Although some things I won't post publicly, I will answer almost all questions.

Yes, I believe there may have been some domestic abuse. I cannot confirm between who but given some comments I have heard, there may have been.

You said the funerals were closed, but was the viewing of your grandfather closed also? I mean the viewing the night of the murders.

I watched all of the police interviews. All of the officers kept say this murder was personal. They also talked about how well like your mother and grandmother were. They had no enemies.

So now I am going back to your grandfather. I am not typing this based on any factual evidence. I am just throwing ideas out and I hope this does not hurt your feelings. What did he do for a living? I wonder if there is somebody in your grandfather's past who felt wronged by him, very wronged. This person came to the viewing hoping for some closure. Seeing your grandfather did not give this person the closure they desired. Instead it brought those feelings of rage boiling to the surface. Perhaps your grandmother knew about what your grandfather did. Perhaps she even defended him to the perp. Maybe she told him to let it go because it was years ago. The perp returned later that night in a rage.

Is there anybody you can think of with a history of assault or domestic violence? You don't have to name them...Just might give you someone to think of. I have a family member...15 years ago, I wouldn't have dreamed he was anything less than a great guy, but horrible stories have come out lately. Do you have anybody like that in your family?

Can't say I disagree!! I do need to find a local media person interested. I spoke to a gentleman at the local paper who was one of the first on the scenes and wrote several articles...none of which I can find online. He kept in touch with me for a bit. I asked him to send me all the articles, he never did. Then he just stopped communicating. I have found that to the be case over and over...I start to feel like I make headway and then everything comes to a skretching hault and my contacts stop communicating with me...as if someone is shutting them down. Call me paranoid but it's a little suspicious.

Maxaroad,

I did a little bit of mapping this week, based on high school bus routes at the time, of all things.

I found a couple of interesting things. Randolph to Farm Rd, to Maxa Rd. And Maxa Rd to Beards Hill to Rt 22.

maxaroad, when you get the chance- could you see if any of those routes are familiar to you? Do you recall if they would they have been familiar to the neighborhood at the time? TIA if you remember!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35
Back