MD MD - Bishop Family murders, Bethesda, 1 March 1976

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
FBI Removes Accused Killer of His Family From Ten Most Wanted List
"FBI Removes Accused Killer of His Family From Ten Most Wanted List
Former foreign service officer is only the 10th person removed from list since 1950 without being caught, dying or having charges dropped
June 28, 2018

The FBI this week removed a long-sought fugitive—a foreign service officer accused of murdering his wife, mother and three young children in 1976—from its Ten Most Wanted List, bureau officials said.

William Bradford Bishop Jr. was only the 10th person removed from the Ten Most Wanted List since 1950 without prosecutors dropping charges or the fugitive being captured or dying. Despite removing him from the list, the FBI said it would continue to hunt for Mr. Bishop."

I don't understand,

Why are they removing Bishop from the list? Yet they will still look for him? Isn't that a double-standard? The passage of time does not make Bishop's crimes less horrific. Is there some statute of limitations for how long a fugitive can be on the list? Maybe they consider him dead as the reason for his removal from the list? For the record, who were the other fugitives removed from the FBI most wanted list and why? The link requires a subscription to read the full story.

Satch

I don't understand,

Why are they removing Bishop from the list? Yet they will still look for him? Isn't that a double-standard? The passage of time does not make Bishop's crimes less horrific. Is there some statute of limitations for how long a fugitive can be on the list? Maybe they consider him dead as the reason for his removal from the list? For the record, who were the other fugitives removed from the FBI most wanted list and why? The link requires a subscription to read the full story.

Satch

Some info below that answers some of my questions. William Bradford Bishop would be 82 if the scum would be alive today:

DIPLO DENIZEN: William Bradford Bishop Murder Case: FBI Removes Family Annihilator From Its Ten Most Wanted List

Satch

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Interesting story:
I submitted William Bishop Jr. as a possible match, to date not on either rule list. William lived in TN, was an avid outdoors man, was 6 ft tall with brown hair. He was last seen March 2, 1976. His truck was recovered 3/18/76 Gatlinburg, TN (Heart of the Great Smokey Mountains).

I don't understand,

Satch

Any answers to the above questions? Thanks! Here is a link:

DIPLO DENIZEN: William Bradford Bishop Murder Case: FBI Removes Family Annihilator From Its Ten Most Wanted List

Satch

Bishop was likely removed from the list because he may no longer be perceived as a danger to society at large.
They might believe he is dead from old age or suicide, but are still looking for his body. imo, speculation.

Happy 500th Fugitive to the FBI's 'Ten Most Wanted' List
June 18, 2013 rbbm.
'' Only six "wanted" people have been removed from the list because they were "no longer considered to be a particularly dangerous menace to society." (In some cases, they were never found, but were presumed dead.)''

Ten Most Wanted Fugitives FAQ — FBI
''When are fugitives removed from the list?

“Ten Most Wanted Fugitives” are only removed from the list when they meet one of the following conditions:

First, they are captured.

Second, the federal process pending against the individual is dismissed—this is not an FBI decision.

Third, they no longer fit “Ten Most Wanted Fugitives” criteria.

In the ten cases where fugitives were removed for the third reason, it was determined that each fugitive was no longer considered to be a “particularly dangerous menace to society.” When a fugitive is removed from the list, another is added to take his or her place.''
The 10 Most Notorious Fugitives on the FBI’s Most Wanted List | The Saturday Evening Post
''William Bradford Bishop brutally beat his wife, mother, and children to death and disappeared in 1976. In the next few years, witnesses claimed to have seen him in several locations overseas. Yet, for some reason, he wasn’t added to the list until 2014, when the Bureau had produced an age-advanced image of him to aid in his capture. It failed to turn up any leads, and two years later, he was dropped from the list. He would now be 84 years old.''
2020-03-31-william-bradford-bishop.jpeg

William Bradford Bishop (FBI)

Last edited:
The Vault's "The Daily Crime" takes a look at the William Bradford Bishop case, which has a horrifying tie to the national park.

"An international murder mystery with a trail that stretched from Washington, D.C. to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is featured this week on a true crime podcast.

"It Starts Off Just Like Any Day" by Vault Studios highlights the 1976 case of Bradford Bishop, a U.S. State Department employee who bludgeoned his mother, wife and three sons in their Washington area home, drove their bodies to remote North Carolina woods to bury them and then ended up abandoning the family station wagon at the Elkmont parking lot in the Smokies.

Bishop killed his family and then vanished 45 years ago this month. WBIR has reported on the fugitive, once featured on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List, as part of its "Appalachian Unsolved" series.

You'll find the Vault's podcast, featuring WBIR's Leslie Ackerson and John North, here.

Despite the efforts of investigators across the United States and Europe, Bishop never has been found. Some speculate he died in the Smokies; others cite possible sightings of Bishop in Europe years after the killings as evidence he's still alive."

I found this thread after reading an interesting article published by The Washington Post today.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/09/bradford-bishop-dna-test-fbi/

She found her birth father via DNA. He’s a fugitive accused of killing his whole family.
Growing up south of Boston, it often seemed to Kathy Gillcrist that her personality never quite matched up with her adoptive family. While her parents had been shy and quiet, she was “a bossy little girl with a vivid imagination” and a Type A personality, she wrote.

But Gillcrist, 63, says she could not have anticipated just how notorious he would be: Her birth father, William Bradford Bishop Jr., is accused of murdering his wife, mother and three sons with a small sledgehammer, she would learn. The notorious fugitive from Bethesda has been wanted by the FBI since 1976, at one point appearing on the agency’s Ten Most Wanted list.

When Gillcrist first found out about his identity, “I just laughed,” she told WECT last week. “We have a great sense of humor in my adoptive family and I thought, ‘Of course, my father’s a murderer!' ”
[more at link]

The WECT story, linked above, includes a video.

If Bishop is still alive (and it would not surprise me if he was) would he be interested in seeing this daughter, would curiosity somehow entice him from his hiding place? speculation, imo.
DNA leads woman to birth father -- a fugitive accused of killing his whole family | Toronto Sun
''That revelation, which she also recounted in a new book, “It’s in my Genes,” is the latest case of a DNA test – a cheek swab or vial of saliva meant to learn more about family ancestry – leading to a very different kind of genealogical discovery, sometimes with troubling consequences.''

kathymarch10.jpg

Adopted Kathy Gillcrist found out her dad is a wanted accused killer. Photo by Screengrab /WECT

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back