Found Safe MD - Crystal Haag, 14, Baltimore, 26 April 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It sounds like she had a really rough time of it.

Her story is a reminder that even the most loving parents might not recognize what their children are going through, especially if they’re forced to work long hours. What might seem like an idyllic childhood to the parent could be anything but idyllic to the child.

It can also be a reminder that some parents do recognize what their children are going through but turn a blind eye for whatever reason.

Wow! Her story is just incredible! I always remembered her because of her baseball cap when I was scanning cases. It's amazing that at such a young age she moved to a new city on her own and managed. I know I wouldn't be able to at 14! That's some pure resilience and survival skills! It's sad she left because she wrongfully thought her mom was aware of her abuse by a neighbor. This is why communication is important among families.

I'm just glad she's alive and doing well in her life. I have to say that I'm disappointed in the comments I've read on WaPo concerning her mother. She was excoriated. As someone who has been in a situation with a lot of similarities to Crystal's (not going into details), parents are not omniscient beings, or by any means all-powerful. That's a tough lesson for a kid to learn. Crystal is obviously entitled to her feelings. She and her mom both have to want to repair their relationship, which it sounds like they're slowly doing. I'm just so glad that she's okay, and not in danger or killed.

Another 14 year old missing from the 90's has also been found safe. Simon Lembi who went missing in 1999 has also been found alive and well around the same time as Crystal. He started a new life as well but has kept additional details private. The Brussels Times - Simon Lembi, missing since 1999, turns up safe and well
Thank you so much for linking to this wonderful story. It's nice to know that some runaways can succeed in eventually finding a better life for themselves. I'm sure their efforts took lots of hard work and personal strength.

• Crystal Marie Haag
    CMHaag.jpg

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/closed/articles/1959DFMD_article.pdf

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members