Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 168 lbs.
Hair Color: Strawberry Blond
Eye Color: Blue
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available

Physical Description:
Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. He had a mustache at the time of his 1977 disappearance. He has a scar on the back of his right hand extending to his index finger, a surgical scar behind his right knee, and a small appendectomy scar on his abdomen. He'd previously broken his collarbone, but it was healed at the time he went missing (Santmyer's wife is unsure which side the break was on). He possibly wore an electrical stimulation device around his waist to treat nerve damage in his leg from a previous shooting.

Clothing:
Light blue crew-neck pull-over sweater, brown double-breasted waist-length jacket, blue jeans, and tan calf-length Frye boots. He is believed to have worn either a black leather belt with two brass rings, or a tan and brown belt with turquoise stones.

Jewelry:
Turquoise and coral bracelet on left arm, turquoise ring on right ring finger, and a silver Timex watch.

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Frank Ray Santmyer, Jr. was last seen by his wife in Ellicott City, Maryland on December 2, 1977. He departed their residence with a friend, but failed to appear for a planned appointment, and his vehicle was found abandoned two days later. Santmyer has never been heard from again.

At the time of his disappearance, Santmyer was facing drug charges after he and two other men were caught with 10 ounces of cocaine in their possession and arrested at the Baltimore-Washington International Airport. Authorities have long speculated that he was killed in a shootout during a robbery, but no one has been charged in his presumed murder.

He had been shot once before. He was declared legally dead on October 28, 1980, nearly three years after his disappearance, but his remains have not been recovered.

If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Frank Santmyer, you are asked to contact the investigating agency(s) below:

Det. Nicholas DeCarlo

Howard County Police Department
Phone: 410-313-2220
Case Number: #77-34775

Carla Proudfoot

Maryland State Police; Maryland Center for Missing and Unidentified Persons
Phone: 800-637-5437
NamUs Case Number: #1835

Source(s):
1728DMMD - Frank Ray Santmyer, Jr.
Frank Ray Santmyer Jr. – The Charley Project
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

It's a possibility. I'm not seeing the resemblance, but then I'm very bad with faces.

Due to some of the awful recons (especially more "old school" sketches and clay models from the pre-'90s), you almost have to ignore details i.e. nose shape and just compare the general look. There's been many recons done that look almost nothing like the actual person, once identified. Unfortunately, the more decomposed / skeletal, the harder it gets to do a really good quality recon that will do the deceased justice. :(

What caught my attention first was the hair and color, then the mouth. Imagine Frank with his mouth closed and then look at the recon.

Right, the hair color is pretty similar. A light ginger / strawberry blond, which is rare to see on an adult. The height's a little off, but that is usually the case when we're talking skeletal remains.

Due to some of the awful recons (especially more "old school" sketches and clay models from the pre-'90s), you almost have to ignore details i.e. nose shape and just compare the general look. There's been many recons done that look almost nothing like the actual person, once identified. Unfortunately, the more decomposed / skeletal, the harder it gets to do a really good quality recon that will do the deceased justice. :(

Very true. But my issue is that I'm mostly face-blind and simply don't recognize people. Gonna make for a rough old age. :p

Bumping for Frank. The recon of this UID found in Florida sure looks like him.

Estimated year of death for UP is 1978-1979. Frank went missing 12/2/77, so the PMI timeframe is very close to the estimate. His age is also within the estimated range.

Frank has 73 exclusions listed but UP5286 is not one of them.

1661773078675.jpeg1661773097301.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee
Back