MD MD - Frederick, WhtFem 17-45, UP7477, in steamer trunk in state park, Spondylolysis, Aug'82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks, from link..
1661469723487.png
''On Aug. 24, 1982, mushroom hunters discovered a steamer trunk with a woman's remains inside, off Gambrill Park Road in Gambrill State Park. At that time it was estimated that she had been there for at least a few months but may have died up to 10 years prior.
An anthropologist concluded the woman had back and feet issues, that correspond with spondylolysis, according to a news release. The woman had extensive dental work. She was estimated to be between 17-45 years old, but most likely on the younger end. She was also described as being around 5 foot 3 inches and weighing between 100-130 pounds.''

Update on case: Anne Riggins and Virginia Welch have not been ruled out.

Anne Lillian Riggin​

• anne_lillian_riggin_1.jpg

Virginia Alice Welch​

• virginia_alice_welch_1.jpg

I'm wondering on how we can get more information on both Virginia and Anne? There's not much found on them...I found one old article about Virginia with her family, but that's all I can find...I'm sure someone knows them from high school or something, and might have known them at the time of their disappearance, out there...

I actually sent this possible match into PSP on March 7, 2005. In looking at the old email, I used the link (no longer works) to the City of Frederick site. That must have been right around the time the girl in the trunk was being added to DN (City of Frederick site is a source). If she had already been added, I would have used the DN link.

At that time, also noted in the email, Anne's dentals were available through LE (this was pre-NamUs). If and when they were uploaded to NamUs, I don't know. But I have a hard time believing that, in the intervening 17 years, with other people apparently submitting the same possible match, that it hasn't been looked at. Could be she was ruled out years ago (by dentals or the collarbone), prior to NamUs, which would explain the rule out not being on the exclusions list.

Of course, over the years LE folks have transferred, retired, moved on. Others take over and may or may not have even looked at the case and may not even be aware of the possible match and/or rule out.

JMO and 2 cents worth.:)

Not gonna lie, it would be a major setback if Anne isn't the Jane Doe. (And I heard that Virginia Welch's dental records were apparently destroyed in a fire. Wow.) What if they had excluded her all those years ago and no one ever bothered to properly document it? Because there's no evidence or proof that she was excluded, we're playing a waiting game now.

In all honesty, it wouldn't be the first time an exclusion didn't appear, let alone on NamUs. Sigh.

Also, The Doe Network says that Jane Doe has "insufficient DNA for profiling".... But that status hasn't been updated in a while. Even then, do y'all think it would be enough DNA to do a comparison with a missing person?

Not gonna lie, it would be a major setback if Anne isn't the Jane Doe. (And I heard that Virginia Welch's dental records were apparently destroyed in a fire. Wow.) What if they had excluded her all those years ago and no one ever bothered to properly document it? Because there's no evidence or proof that she was excluded, we're playing a waiting game now.

In all honesty, it wouldn't be the first time an exclusion didn't appear, let alone on NamUs. Sigh.
I was also told there’s no cold-case unit, and they review these when they can...

Most of these cases are right over the state line...I'm wondering if we could try to get some press attention in Harrisburg, PA or Roanoake, Virginia...Anyone got any contacts there? Or try to figure out where they went to high school and post in alumni groups and local area groups...Grateful Doe was identified doing the latter...

Based on that link, the last known DNA extraction attempt, which resulted in insufficient DNA for sequencing/profiling, was in 2012. Since it was attempted on her remains, they most likely have access to them still, which is good news. There have been advances in extraction techniques since then, and if it hasn't been attempted more recently, it might be worth another try now. They can even create a DNA profile from a strand of hair without a follicle now.
On a side now, they can even attempt DNA extraction from cremated remains now, in some cases where the heat may not have destroyed bone or teeth material.

Based on that link, the last known DNA extraction attempt, which resulted in insufficient DNA for sequencing/profiling, was in 2012. Since it was attempted on her remains, they most likely have access to them still, which is good news. There have been advances in extraction techniques since then, and if it hasn't been attempted more recently, it might be worth another try now. They can even create a DNA profile from a strand of hair without a follicle now.
On a side now, they can even attempt DNA extraction from cremated remains now, in some cases where the heat may not have destroyed bone or teeth material.
It would be nice if @othram would take her case if possible! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NH_Gal
Back