MD - Ji'Aire Lee, 3, found dead in swing pushed by mom, La Plata, 22 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Under an agreement negotiated by prosecutors and defense attorneys, Simms was found to be not criminally responsible, Maryland’s version of not guilty by reason of insanity...

[Simms] will be allowed to continue living free as long as she’s under the supervision of state psychologists...

Charles County State’s Attorney Tony Covington said he was not happy with the outcome of the case, but he was bound to accept the conclusion of three psychologists. He said the boy died as a result of his mother neglecting to take her medication.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...8f7c18-d8b6-11e5-81ae-7491b9b9e7df_story.html

"It’s too late for him,” said Simms, 47. “Maybe I can save someone else."...

Vontasha Simms said her daughter had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and depression before her grandson’s death. She was hospitalized twice after mental breakdowns. Pleas to authorities to help her daughter went unheeded, Vontasha Simms said, including when she called sheriff’s deputies after Romechia walked on the road barefoot holding her son’s hand.

Since Ji’Aire’s death, his grandmother has become an advocate for boosting mental-health services in the state...

She testified before the Charles County Board of Commissioners, urging it to push for a state law that would make it easier for parents or close relatives to take supervisory control over adults suffering from mental illness, and take charge of their minor children. The board put the legislation, dubbed “Ji’Aire’s law,” at the top of its priorities for the 2016 legislative session.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...d-11e5-ae11-57b6aeab993f_story.html?tid=a_inl

Oh, brave woman. Well done to her for wanting to help others even after the tragedy that has struck her own family.

This case just makes me sad. I don't feel anything now that I didn't feel the first day it was reported. Sorrow... empathy... My heart goes out to all involved, I wish it had turned out differently for the wee one.

She took Alford plea and will not go to prison or to mental institution but will be mandated to take meds. Ugghh!~
In same state, MD, Hoggle missing kids mom was also found not competent to stand trial. MD is not a good place to be a kid.
http://patch.com/maryland/annapolis/s/fmap6/missing-hoggle-kids-mother-not-competent-to-stand-trial

She gets to go home as long as she takes her medicine? Despite her baby dying a cold, confused, hungry, sad, prolonged death? OK I know there are exceptional circumstances to this, but I'm sorry, I just don't feel this is the "right" outcome.

She gets to get home as long as she takes her medicine? Despite her baby dying a cold, confused, hungry, sad, prolonged death? OK I know there are exceptional circumstances to this, but I'm sorry, I just don't feel this is the "right" outcome.

She was ill and didn't know what she was doing. You can't punish someone for that. It would be like punishing a mother whose baby drowned in the bathtub because the mother had a stroke and passed out or fell into a diabetic coma whilst she was bathing him.

Maybe the episode was caused by the mother not taking her medication properly, but that would be hard to prove. Did she get ill because she stopped taking it, or did she forget to take it because she was already becoming ill?

Plus, lack of insight (anosognosia) can be an actual symptom of the illness for some people who have schizophrenia. They literally can not understand that they are ill. They can't understand that their brain isn't working properly, because their brain isn't working properly. So it's not even as simple as blaming someone for choosing to stop taking their meds.
https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Related-Conditions/Anosognosia

She was ill and didn't know what she was doing. You can't punish someone for that. It would be like punishing a mother whose baby drowned in the bathtub because the mother had a stroke and passed out or fell into a diabetic coma whilst she was bathing him.

Maybe the episode was caused by the mother not taking her medication properly, but that would be hard to prove. Did she get ill because she stopped taking it, or did she forget to take it because she was already becoming ill?

Plus, lack of insight (anosognosia) can be an actual symptom of the illness for some people who have schizophrenia. They literally can not understand that they are ill. They can't understand that their brain isn't working properly, because their brain isn't working properly. So it's not even as simple as blaming someone for choosing to stop taking their meds.
https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Related-Conditions/Anosognosia

I'm not asking for punishment, I never had her down as a cold blooded murderer. But this is a precedent, is it ok now for someone with mental illness to kill another, and go home as long as they remember their pills?

It's an unusual case, and a tragic one, but it tortures me how bewildered and unhappy this little boy must have been. Crying to get off the swing, to have a drink and a cuddle with mummy. Devastating...

She shouldn't be on the streets and how long until she has another baby?

I'm not asking for punishment, I never had her down as a cold blooded murderer. But this is a precedent, is it ok now for someone with mental illness to kill another, and go home as long as they remember their pills?

It's an unusual case, and a tragic one, but it tortures me how bewildered and unhappy this little boy must have been. Crying to get off the swing, to have a drink and a cuddle with mummy. Devastating...

This is an excellent example of how cuts to mental health funding are effecting the country. She needs a supervised living facility where she is can be supervised, cared for by mental health professionals, and provided with therapy. Knowing that she (due to her mental illness) caused the death of her son certainly must increase her need for services. Medications are one part of the answer but not the whole answer.

I must say that the decision not to incarcerate her is probably a good one, because she would almost certainly become worse rather than better. But home isn't the best place for her, either.

I wish I could figure out how to use the part of my brain that is so full of opinions to help figure out a solution for the mental health needs in our country.

This is an excellent example of how cuts to mental health funding are effecting the country. She needs a supervised living facility where she is can be supervised, cared for by mental health professionals, and provided with therapy. Knowing that she (due to her mental illness) caused the death of her son certainly must increase her need for services. Medications are one part of the answer but not the whole answer.

I must say that the decision not to incarcerate her is probably a good one, because she would almost certainly become worse rather than better. But home isn't the best place for her, either.

I wish I could figure out how to use the part of my brain that is so full of opinions to help figure out a solution for the mental health needs in our country.

I think you already figured out the solution - bolded by me. This is exactly what this lady needs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back