GUILTY MD - Minnet, 9, & Jasmine Bowman, 7, found dead in freezer, Lusby, May 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is just plain disgusting. There is such evil in the world. I just can't imagine harming a child. :(

horrible, horrible, horrible monster. she will get hers in prison, i am sure. greedy, evil,.....i could say more but would have to be censored.

shocking...

i'm so happy that the one little girl managed to escape & hope she finds the loving happy home all children deserve.

Those little girls were just adorable. I would have taken them in an instant. I don't understand how anyone can do the things to kids that she did to these.
What courage the little one had to jump out of a window to get away. I'm glad a neighbor found her before that witch did. And to think CPS recommended her as an adoptive parent. The woman forgot to tell CPS that the only reason she wanted the kids was for the $2,500 per child. She must have kept collecting the money even after the girls were dead.

Yes, she will get hers in prison. I wish they would hurry up and get her there.

Md. woman gets 25 years for abusing her daughter

By SARAH KARUSH Associated Press Writer
Posted: 01/08/2010 01:25:16 PM MST

PRINCE FREDERICK, Md.—A Maryland woman accused of killing two of her adopted daughters and keeping their bodies in a freezer has been sentenced to 25 years in prison for abusing a third daughter.:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The girl was 7 when she was found wandering around her neighborhood in a bloodstained nightshirt after escaping through a window. In court Friday, she read a statement in a soft voice in which she said people "should never do things to a little girl" that 44-four-year-old Renee Bowman did to her.

more here

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_14150001

Brave girl-she did a good job putting her monster behind bars for a long, long time!!

This whole case is appalling. This woman shames everyone who adopts a child. No doubt the children's bodies were hidden so she could continue to receive her subsidy check.

I'd like to weigh in on that. Most of you know that I spent the last 20 years advocating for special needs kids. My specialty is in post-adoption subsidy and service. In years past, I would have come out swinging if anyone would have suggested that adoptive families receiving subsidies should be subject to any sort of oversight or review. It's not in the federal law and, other than the subsidy, an adopted child has exactly the same rights as a child born in a family.

However, I'm changing my position on this. Many special needs children rightfully receive hefty AAP checks. They literally could not be placed in permanent homes without this funding. That's the reason for the Act in the first place. This money is an entitlement from the federal and state government and is to be used for the needs of the child. It can never exceed what an appropriate foster care payment can be and is merely re-certified, not re-negotiated, every year or so.

During that re-certification, a parent is required to update addresses, insurance information, and to attest that they are still legally and financially responsible for the child. That's it. I, as a representative for NACAC, fought a years long, bloody battle with the state of California just to stop unnecessary oversight during these re-certifications. California had developed a practice in the 90's of requiring a great deal of information about the current status of the child. This is not allowed under federal law and seems invasive and discriminatory. I, and several other advocates went to the matt on this and we won. The re-certification now looks just like it was intended to and takes about 2 minutes to fill out. OK, that works great for me and thousands like me who are working their butts off to meet the needs of special needs children.

However, I cannot continue to be still while many adopted children are turning up dead or abused while a handful of mercenary and criminal families harm their kids and still collect funding which is specifically intended to make the children's lives easier. I truly believe that families who are doing what they should, have very little to fear by a small bit of oversight.

I wish a process could be developed wherein a caseworker working with a child reported to DHS due to abuse and/or neglect would automatically be required to alert that child's county/state of origin. I wish that there was some way to ascertain in the re-certification process that the child is receiving some oversight from school and medical professionals. (How does a little one go missing for months with nobody noticing??!!)

Those of us who are doing our jobs right, have nothing to fear. We need to figure out a way to get rid of the bad apples like this woman and the adoptive dad reported last week by Indiana/Ohio for impregnating (twice!!) his adopted daughter/blood relative. These stories makes me very ashamed of those who use the same title I do...adoptive parent. I'll deal with some extra paperwork if it means that a child can be saved.

Md. mom convicted of killing kids found in freezer
By Associated Press
Monday, February 22, 2010 - Added 2m ago

ROCKVILLE, Md. — A jury has convicted a Maryland woman of first-degree murder in the deaths of two of her adopted daughters, whose bodies were found in a freezer in the woman’s home.

Montgomery County jurors today found 44-year-old Renee Bowman guilty of two counts of first-degree murder for killing her two older daughters. She was sentenced last month in Calvert County to 25 years in prison for abusing her surviving daughter.

The 9-year-old testified at Bowman’s trial about what she endured at the hands of the woman she called her "ex-mother."

more here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/south/view.bg?articleid=1234696

What a horribly sad story. I hope this woman gets additonal time on top of the 25 years for the abuse charge. Life would be fine. :mad:

JMHO
fran

UPDATE:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Renee-Bowman-To-Be-Sentenced-88810207.html

A Maryland woman convicted of killing two of her adopted daughters and storing their bodies in a freezer was sentenced today to double life sentences without parole, plus an extra 75 years.

"You sentenced these two young innocent children in the dawn of their lives to a death chamber, and for you that option is not available," Montgomery County Circuit Judge Michael J. Algeo told Bowman before handing down the maximum sentence. The crimes are not eligible for the death penalty in Maryland.

She is a just monster. Those poor little girls, with no one to comfort them in their time of need and protect them. I am left sick after reading these articles.

From lovejac's nbcwashington link, in Mar. 2010:
"...Bowman kept the two young girls' bodies on ice for months while she continued to collect subsidies paid to parents who adopt special-needs children in the District of Columbia. She received a total of about $150,000 after the adoptions. ..."

Is there a way to incent ppl to adopt spec needs kids, without this happening?

Seems unfair to keep these kids in a forvever-foster status.
And unfair to the many wonderful ppl who parent diligently and lovingly
but who cannot afford, without $ incentives,
to adopt these kids entailing higher expenses?

I wonder about the screening done for these programs.
Is it like an 'ordinary' adoption entailing extensive background checks,
but the subsidy continues w no further DFS/CPS -type monitoring afterward?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back