Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my goodness.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpDFfSLMs8
26 seconds in "we also gave those who wished to destroy, space to do that as well." Just so you can hear what I hear. That sentence ends at 32 in, I think. It's only a 44 second clip. Take another listen.

bbm, I heard it and I have a feeling she will be eating those words, any word on who the 3 men are standing behind her when she said that. jmo idk

I can see that she was stating that in giving them space to protest she was also giving them room to destroy. But she clearly erred on the wrong side of this balance entirely.

I think the whole First Amendment thing doesn't give you the right to march down freakn streets and disrupt traffic and other people's lives just so you can be seen. There is no surer way to get me pissed off at your cause du jour than to disrupt my life so I have to hear you. I dont care what you are marching for just get out of the damn road so I can get home. Its a ROAD, not a stage. Get a permit if that's what you are going to do, but nope they rarely do.

The entire purpose of a (peaceful) protest IS to get in your way. To get in everyone's way so they can no longer ignore the issue they've been ignoring in the past. I'm not sorry that regular citizen's days are disrupted, because these messages need to be heard. Maybe you choose to get mad at them rather than listen, but personally, if someone is blocking a street and holding signs and chanting something, it's obviously important enough to them that I will at the very least listen for a couple of minutes. I can THEN choose whether I support the cause or not but I'm not going to just dismiss them without trying to hear them.

THAT is the problem. THAT is why these protests happen. Not the riots, those are opportunistic agitators. I'm talking about the actual civil protests. They KEEP happening because the rest of us REFUSE to listen. JMHO. No disrespect intended.

Maybe I am mistaken... Isn't the message police brutality?

The vicious cycle continues. The same people who loot and burn innocent peoples buildings are the same people who make the way the police react to someone who does the crime or runs when they are spoken to or stopped by police.
Innocent bystanders watch the riots and crime are the same folks who will later sit on the jury when someone is brought to trial for the crime of the injury to Mr Gray, but their attitude will be slanted because they witnessed or endured this crime against the community.
The cycle continues. It gets worse not better. Who ever injured Mr Gray is guilty of a crime. Whoever did the looting and arson, destroyed gov't property, injured innocent officers is just as guilty.
All MOO

Last night seeing those rioters it was easy to forget. Easy to forget that they were people.
But today those are people. They are people in pain. Those weren't strangers to them last night, they saw their family, their neighbors and even their friends out there. So they are scared, angry and tired. But it is their neighborhood. So they will clean it up. They aren't waiting for someone else to do it. They aren't expecting someone else to do it. It is their neighborhood and they will clean it up.

Great post.

Maybe I am mistaken... Isn't the message police brutality?

Yeah from the gangs. I'm talking about the thousands of peaceful protesters who were blocking streets the other day.

Oh wait, that didn't get much news coverage did it?

ETA: I misread your post. Yes, the message is they're tired of police brutality. Which is a real problem, and needs to change.

There are PLENTY of avenues of communication these days, I guarantee you I have heard all about your issue somewhere else before. Again, I will listen to you much less when you get in my face. Period.

The riots WERE part of the protest,here and before. Nonviolence is compliance and that is not an out there slogan, it is an entire article written by the senior editor of a magazine I used to respect. He says the SAME THING you are seeing, gotta draw attention to our cause only he goes a step further and states that the only way to get real attention, real change, is to be violent, ie riot.

I'll tell you what, a whole lot of people are paying attention now but most definitely NOT in the way you wanted them to. I look at a city that does this and wonder, hey maybe the cops got a point here, these people are out of control.

Which is it gangs or the kids of Baltimore? Or are they one and the same? Why is the govt asking parents to tell their kids to stop rioting, if it is gangs?

governor said there was a 3-hour gap wherein NG was ready to roll but mayor didn't ask

Which is it gangs or the kids of Baltimore? Or are they one and the same? Why is the govt asking parents to tell their kids to stop rioting, if it is gangs?

Um, both? Gangs issuing credible threats to police and then kids joining in the rioting and violence. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Yeah from the gangs. I'm talking about the thousands of peaceful protesters who were blocking streets the other day.

Oh wait, that didn't get much news coverage did it?

<modsnip> Speaking only for myself, I think it makes people against whatever the 'protest' is being staged for. If I start out agreeing with you, but this type of situation arises, and messes up my life or my property or whatever, it tends to change my mind. Then instead of looking for justice for the victim, like Mr Gray, you start wanting to punish the protesters, whether peaceful or not.
Otherwise, don't punish me for what someone else did, or I may try to punish you for what people who think they are supporting you did. (I don't know if that makes sense.) I just feel we all lose sight of the root issue, cause now we have to deal with all the collateral damage.
This is all MOO.

I see that you, and obviously others, think this is the way to bring attention to a situation that you are unhappy with. Speaking only for myself, I think it makes people against whatever the 'protest' is being staged for. If I start out agreeing with you, but this type of situation arises, and messes up my life or my property or whatever, it tends to change my mind. Then instead of looking for justice for the victim, like Mr Gray, you start wanting to punish the protesters, whether peaceful or not.
Otherwise, don't punish me for what someone else did, or I may try to punish you for what people who think they are supporting you did. (I don't know if that makes sense.) I just feel we all lose sight of the root issue, cause now we have to deal with all the collateral damage.
This is all MOO.

The protesters distancing themselves from the violence and making statements that they don't support the riots isn't enough to help the public listen to them?

It's an excuse. People use the riots as an excuse to dismiss the message of the protesters. JMHO.

ETA: I think what is the way to bring attention? Violence and riots? Where have i EVER said that?

The entire purpose of a (peaceful) protest IS to get in your way. To get in everyone's way so they can no longer ignore the issue they've been ignoring in the past. I'm not sorry that regular citizen's days are disrupted, because these messages need to be heard. Maybe you choose to get mad at them rather than listen, but personally, if someone is blocking a street and holding signs and chanting something, it's obviously important enough to them that I will at the very least listen for a couple of minutes. I can THEN choose whether I support the cause or not but I'm not going to just dismiss them without trying to hear them.

THAT is the problem. THAT is why these protests happen. Not the riots, those are opportunistic agitators. I'm talking about the actual civil protests. They KEEP happening because the rest of us REFUSE to listen. JMHO. No disrespect intended.

If Freddy Grey was the fist person to be injured in this way, we could view it as a tragic mistake. But in Baltimore it is part of police culture. A problem that should have been fixed long ago.

Freddie Gray not the first to come out of Baltimore police van with serious injuries

When a handcuffed Freddie Gray was placed in a Baltimore police van on April 12, he was talking and breathing. When the 25-year-old emerged, "he could not talk and he could not breathe," according to one police official, and he died a week later of a spinal injury.

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others have also received payouts after filing lawsuits.

governor said there was a 3-hour gap wherein NG was ready to roll but mayor didn't ask
And... he wasn't just sitting there waiting to hear from her. He was trying to contact her but was getting no response.

The protesters distancing themselves from the violence and making statements that they don't support the riots isn't enough to help the public listen to them?

It's an excuse. People use the riots as an excuse to dismiss the message of the protesters. JMHO.

ETA: I think what is the way to bring attention? Violence and riots? Where have i EVER said that?

No, I don't think you ever said that. You agree with the protests. I think the riot'ers use the protests as an excuse to do damage and crime. Then the whole thing gets combined into one big mess and people can't/don't separate the two. The message gets lost.
All MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member