MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JoyLepolaStewart ‏@jlepolastewart 11m11 minutes ago
Family of murder victim Phylicia Barnes say they've been contacted by prosecutors who say grand jury has indicted Michael Johnson again.
Thank you for the update, popsicle! I don't believe MJ will get away with Phylicia's murder despite justice taking so long. Hopefully, the prosecution will have had time to build a stronger case. I know this must be terribly painful for Phylicia's family to relive her murder each time, but I hope they can take some comfort in the knowledge that MJ is likely sweating and spending many a sleepless night all over again.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...nson-charged-again-20150203-story.html#page=1

Baltimore prosecutors have refiled second-degree murder charges against Michael Maurice Johnson in the killing of North Carolina teen Phylicia Barnes in 2010, a move that comes less than two weeks after Johnson was acquitted by a judge following a mistrial.

State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced Tuesday her intention to try Johnson again, contending that the new charges do not violate constitutional provisions against double jeopardy because the judge's decision to acquit was invalid. "Putting it simply, we are now putting this case back in the same posture that we were in after the mistrial was granted," Mosby said at a news conference...

Two veteran attorneys said there is likely to be significant legal maneuvering before the case goes to trial, if it gets that far...

There is clearly something political going on behind the scenes here. Nothing positive is going to come out of this until the group of -the group that socialized at that apartment is supeona'd and the social networking information is utilized in court. Someone knew she was in that river before she was found. How?

Too much relevant information isn't being shared with the jury and who's to confirm with certainty MJ was with his phone? For all we know any one of that group, maybe the person who posted not to pull the lever at the dam, could have been driving around with MJ's phone while MJ was elsewhere.

Regardless of what justice happens in this life, this group that associated at that apartment are all going to face various degrees of justice in the next life and I can find peace in that....... And peace in knowing how happy Phylicia is in heaven and that one day she and her real family will be reunited in heaven.

Regardless of what happens the world knows who -and what- these people are. You can't fix ugly, and I mean ugly from the inside.

Michael Johnson Remains Free, Judge Reschedules Hearing

BALTIMORE (WJZ) — For the third time, a Baltimore man is facing murder charges in the death of North Carolina teen Phylicia Barnes. Her disappearance launched a massive manhunt.

Tracey Leong spoke to Barnes’ family about their search for justice. It was an emotional day for Phylicia Barnes’ family. Back in court again, they saw the man accused of murdering their loved one. They tell WJZ they’re hopeful justice will be served. For the third time, Michael Johnson is indicted for the murder of 16-year-old Phylicia Barnes. Russell Barnes, Phylicia’s father, tells WJZ his family is ecstatic about the decision.

Johnson remains free until April, when a judge could decide if he’ll face a new trial or the charges will be dropped–again, thrusting Phylicia’s family back into the courtroom. Johnson is due back in court in two months, April 28.
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/...-on-3rd-indictment-in-phylicia-barnes-murder/

Here we go again. Judge Howard will preside at the next motion hearing Thursday.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...son-phylicia-barnes-judge-20150306-story.html

Circuit Judge John Addison Howard has been assigned to hear a motion Thursday by Johnson's attorneys to dismiss the latest indictment. Howard presided over Johnson's second trial in the killing of the North Carolina teenager, declaring a mistrial after a prosecutorial error and then granting a motion to acquit Johnson in January, citing insufficient evidence.

Circuit Judge John Addison Howard has been assigned to hear a motion Thursday by Johnson's attorneys to dismiss the latest indictment. Howard presided over Johnson's second trial in the killing of the North Carolina teenager, declaring a mistrial after a prosecutorial error and then granting a motion to acquit Johnson in January, citing insufficient evidence.

I don't have a link atm but the charges against Johnson have been dismissed.

I hope KARMA does the job the court system failed at.

What I saw on the news said that the judge upheld the acquittal so the charges were dismissed.

I have to say I am not surprised. I really don't think he could be tried again after he had been acquitted unless the acquittal was overturned. Hopefully this time the SA appeals the acquittal before indicting again. Having the charges keep being dismissed is making some doubt his guilt and that is not good for a potential jury.

I couldn't find the thread....

Maybe another courtdate in the future

The Attorney General's Office has filed an appeal of the dismissal of charges in the Phylicia Barnes case.

In the appeal, Maryland's Attorney General Brian Frosh is asking the higher court to determine if a Circuit Court Judge made a mistake when he granted an acquittal for Michael Johnson, allegedly the last person to see the 16-year-old girl alive.

The document states, in part; "Did the circuit court err in granting Johnson's motion for judgment of acquittal thirty-one days after terminating the case by declaring a mistrial and dismissing the jury; and, did the court subsequently err in granting Johnson's motion to dismiss on double jeopardy grounds?"

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/attorney-generals-office-files-appeal-in-phylicia-barnes-case

Please see post #91 in the located info and support thread for Phylicia's case

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...16-Baltimore-28-Dec-2010&p=12261753#post12261

add me to the list of people blown away by the social media evidence which was never mentioned at trial.

I would like to see TPC find out if this is still an open murder case, or not. Where was tbe ball dropped? Did this social media information ever make it from those investigating to the prosecutors?
Was twitter girl ever interviewed? Did she ever take a polygraph?

Was this a case of so many of the inner circle knowing they succeeded in playing a game of smoke and mirrors with investigators to prevent justice?

TPC, I responded to your article in the cold case thread I linked above.

This case was one of the most depressing and outrageous failures ever. It is disgusting that Phylicia was not given the JUSTICE she deserved. That trial was a bad joke. :mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back