Found Deceased MD - Rachel Morin, 37, left for walk on Ma & Pa Trail 6pm, car found at Williams St entrance, Bel Air, 5 Aug 2023 #3 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“We do have that higher degree of confidence that it is an accurate representation of the suspect,” Gahler said. “The complete sketch has been shown to people here who saw an individual in the days preceding Rachel’s homicide.”

If the guy in cali has a twin would their dna be the same?
''Identical, or monozygotic (MZ), twins have 100 percent of their genes—including those that influence risk for alcoholism—in common, whereas fraternal, or dizygotic (DZ), twins share (on average) only 50 percent of the genes that vary in the population''

Wow, there was a wealth of information in the blog. Specifically, there was a ton of info from the CA crime/witnesses and people who saw a man who resembles this sketch lingering just above and near the area where Rachel was attacked. We also learned that some of those people saw Rachel that day and suggested there were times when she was not near or in the sight of others using the trail.

If the guy in cali has a twin would their dna be the same?

''Identical, or monozygotic (MZ), twins have 100 percent of their genes—including those that influence risk for alcoholism—in common, whereas fraternal, or dizygotic (DZ), twins share (on average) only 50 percent of the genes that vary in the population''

I am an identical twin. We have the same DNA. In fact, on 23andMe, my twin and my granddaughter received info that they in fact were grandmother and granddaughter!

Fraternal twins, while born together, are just siblings. That’s why they can be of different genders.

What will differentiate him, on the very off chance that he does indeed have an identical twin, are fingerprints.

Our fingerprints are not identical, even though we have the same DNA, because fingerprints are formed in the womb by how the developing fingers touch the inside of the mother’s womb.

Wow, there was a wealth of information in the blog. Specifically, there was a ton of info from the CA crime/witnesses and people who saw a man who resembles this sketch lingering just above and near the area where Rachel was attacked. We also learned that some of those people saw Rachel that day and suggested there were times when she was not near or in the sight of others using the trail.
Yes it was well worth the listen. Post #151 by @PommyMommy linked the sheriffs spotlight interview. It answers all the questions I had and some that people are just asking - like how was the sketch put together etc.
It also gives a lot more info about the Cali case.
What struck me is that the Cali incident was about a year ago and then this case approx 6 months ago. Is this guy on the hunt right now for his next victim? Six month intervals?
Also there were people who saw the suspect using the same trail as Rachel before he murdered her. Rachel ran that same trail pretty much the same time every day.
Did he stalk her.
Was she familiar enough with seeing him that she was comfortable when she saw him on the path where he attacked her and dragged her off to the culvert.
Great update they are getting closer imo
All imo.

Yes it was well worth the listen. Post #151 by @PommyMommy linked the sheriffs spotlight interview. It answers all the questions I had and some that people are just asking - like how was the sketch put together etc.
What struck me is that the Cali incident was about a year ago and then this case approx 6 months ago. Is this guy on the hunt right now for his next victim? Six month intervals?
Also there were people who saw the suspect using the same trail as Rachel before he murdered her. Rachel ran that same trail pretty much the same time every day.
Did he stalk her.
Was she familiar enough with seeing him that she was comfortable when she saw him on the path where he attacked her and dragged her off to the culvert.
All imo.
When the weather is nice, I walk the trail every Friday, Saturday, Sunday. There are a ton of people on that trail. I probably saw this guy at one point if others had seen him, I typically am listening to podcasts and not looking at people to remember their faces. That culvert is literally feet from the trail, they didn’t go far. It’s is the woods, so it would have been harder to see just due to all the foliage. with there being so many people on that trail normally, I don’t think he stalked her, I think she was just not near anyone at that time. I had walked the trail earlier that day, it was insanely hot and humid out, and dinner time, so I can see it being less packed at that time.

Wondering if the very good sketch, is a true to life depiction of the poi, or if a few extras touches are added to make the image come to life?
In particular, curious about his delicate/shaped eyebrows and what might be mascara on his outer lashes?
complete speculation, imo.
View attachment 482758
The Jordan hat caught my interest. Sticker and all.

Feb 12 2024
'BALTIMORE -- The Harford County Sheriff's Office has released a suspect sketch six months after a Harford County woman was killed on a popular trail.'
View attachment 482746

For anyone who wasn't able to listen to the sheriff's update provided above, they did release quite a bit of information that was held back before.

1. They have developed no specific info that she was stalked. However, she was known to use this section of the trail very frequently if not daily and other people had observed her exercising there before, so it is certainly possible that someone was lying in wait specifically for her. It is also possible that the murderer was waiting for any vulnerable woman/individual.

2. Interviews of witnesses who were on the trail that day revealed that people saw an individual standing "within the woodline, in an elevated area" around he time of the assault. Investigators believe this was the perpetrator surveilling to see if a vulnerable person might enter a section of the trail where they could be approached unseen by other users of the trail.

3. The culverts where Rachel's body was found were not really visible to the average user of the trail system, especially during the summertime when they would have been concealed by foliage (one of the investigators said he had been to the trail many times himself and did not know of their existence until this crime). This speaks to some prior knowledge of the area or preparation on the part of the person responsible.

4. The search for people who witnessed something on the trail continues to this day.

5. The LA crime - this was described as a "violent home invasion" in which multiple persons including minors were injured/attacked. The suspect in this case left behind a hat, from which a DNA profile was developed. This was an attack on two members of a family which was interrupted by a very young, male member of the family who forced the attacker from the home. The investigators described that if not for the actions of this young male family member (including shouting to wake up other family members and throwing the attacker out of the home), they have no doubt that this assault would have ended the same way as the attack on Rachel did.

6. They are confident of his Hispanic descent due to the analysis of genetic material and video evidence.

7. With regard to the sketch, the LA witnesses and witnesses in Harford county were consulted and a single artist took info from all of them, plus the video from the LA assault and made the sketch. It sounds like some witnesses believe that they saw someone who looks like the suspect on the trail days or weeks prior.

8. The hat that is pictured is something that witnesses saw him wearing in the past.

What’s interesting to me is that the sketches don’t look like what in my mind the Cali suspect looks like head on. He looks older and less ‘soft’ than in the video. I think, if it really looks like him, this is a really helpful addition to the investigation. While not distinctive really, it’s a different view and now I can picture him in a way I couldn’t.

What’s interesting to me is that the sketches don’t look like what in my mind the Cali suspect looks like head on. He looks older and less ‘soft’ than in the video. I think, if it really looks like him, this is a really helpful addition to the investigation. While not distinctive really, it’s a different view and now I can picture him in a way I couldn’t.
The pic of him, I had in mind being probably his face (video), doesn't fit at all, how he looks now acc. to the phantom painting. Hopefully the pic is very close to the perp's true appearance of his face! For me he has a brutal pull around his nose and mouth. I would have had the same impression, if I don't know the case/s.
The hairstyle is bothering me. If he had another style before the first case (assault) and after the last (RM), he wouldn't be recognizable so easy, IMO.

Did he stalk her.
All imo.
You bring up a good point. Had she seen him before? It sounded like he was standing just above the trail near the area of the attack. There were no indications that other people saw him on the actual trail or what he was wearing. But they saw his face and head.

About two weeks after Rachel’s murder there was a rape in a seedy Falls Church, VA motel. That suspect has been located and arrested, in December, by the Fairfax County Police. His hair is longer than the Cali suspect, more filled in on the sides, but enough of a difference to change a person’s general description. When I first saw images of the Falls Church suspect, I felt his posture and gait resembled the Cali suspect. Then, yesterday I saw his mugshot.

The face shape, especially the mouth and chin as well as the left ear (with a small chunk missing at top) resembles the newly released suspect sketches. I’ll post links and side by side pics below. I’m not sure but I think VA only takes DNA on conviction or if they got DNA from or off the victim. Falls Church is no more than about 1.5 hours from Bel Air with Baltimore in between. I’m wondering if it’s worth contacting Hartford PD.

Attachments

• IMG_1773.jpeg
    IMG_1773.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1772.jpeg
    IMG_1772.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
About two weeks after Rachel’s murder there was a rape in a seedy Falls Church, VA motel. That suspect has been located and arrested, in December, by the Fairfax County Police. His hair is longer than the Cali suspect, more filled in on the sides, but enough of a difference to change a person’s general description. When I first saw images of the Falls Church suspect, I felt his posture and gait resembled the Cali suspect. Then, yesterday I saw his mugshot.

The face shape, especially the mouth and chin as well as the left ear (with a small chunk missing at top) resembles the newly released suspect sketches. I’ll post links and side by side pics below. I’m not sure but I think VA only takes DNA on conviction or if they got DNA from or off the victim. Falls Church is no more than about 1.5 hours from Bel Air with Baltimore in between. I’m wondering if it’s worth contacting Hartford PD.

They look like 2 different guys to me.
The arrested man seems younger.

JMO

The tipline is: RMTIPS@HARFORDSHERIFF.ORG

I have a feeling that all crimes like this within this radius were probably looked into and ruled out, but you never know.

The Sheriff's Update from above made clear that they have no expectations that the sketch looks exactly like the suspect. They said, if you know of a person who was in the area, and resembles the video, but there are things about the sketch that are off, do not let that be a reason that you don't tip in. They also said, please do not call about every Hispanic person.

The sketch is a guide, or tool if you will, but it is not an exact representation of the person the way the video is. Unfortunately, the video in this case doesn't show the face. I'm sure investigators debated long and hard about whether to release a sketch. Sketches can derail the investigation with useless tips but if the right person sees it and is triggered to remember - "Oh I worked with a guy at the time of that crime whose eyes looked like that. Even though the sketch as a whole doesn't look much like him, now I remember he came from LA and talked about that trail once..." That is the type of information that can solve a crime.

The sketch conveys ruthlessness and some kind of world weariness
(grimace of mouth)
despite young age.

Or, am I being fanciful??? :rolleyes:

It sometimes happens to me ;)

JMO

I say this with utmost respect - in this instance, you might be.

The sketches are usually created when a trained sketch artist shows a witness several different pre-drawn versions of mouth, ears, nose, eyes, and hairline. The witness chooses from the samples - this looked like his mouth because the lips were thin, this looks like the eyes I remember because they were set very narrow on his face. And then the sketch is created in a piecemeal or "composite" fashion. Some witnesses may remember eyes but nothing else about the man while others may remember ears or hair. So the blanks from one witness are filled in by another. I don't believe, my opinion only, that the sketch artist tries to convey anything like ruthlessness or worldweariness. It's just that more witnesses than not agreed that the lips had a downward turn and selected a sample depicting that.

I think the sketch and the photo have some similarities but also enough distinctions to be two different people.

Of course I agree that a witness sketch is a very rough tool, though.

What about height? That’s something that a suspect cannot change, and I presume LE has long ago estimated the height of the Cali suspect. If this Virginia criminal is roughly the same height, I think that’s an important factor for inclusion or exclusion.

IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glitterbag
Back