MD MD - Sr. Catherine Cesnik, 26, Baltimore, 7 Nov 1969 "The Keepers"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Posting here news reports about the Maryland Attorney General's Office report on their investigation into the Archdiocese of Baltimore & child abuse.

This report has list of abusers:

List of abusers: AG releases church child sex abuse report

Report details 'staggering' church sex abuse in Maryland

"Also on Wednesday, the state legislature passed a bill to end a statute of limitations on abuse-related civil lawsuits, sending it to Gov. Wes Moore, who has said he supports it. The Baltimore archdiocese says it has paid more than $13.2 million for care and compensation for 301 abuse victims since the 1980s, including $6.8 million toward 105 voluntary settlements.

ABUSE RECALLED AS A ‘LIFE SENTENCE’

Victims said the report was a long-overdue public reckoning with shameful accusations the church has been facing for decades.

Jean Hargadon Wehner said she was abused in Baltimore as a teen by A. Joseph Maskell, a priest who served as her Catholic high school’s counselor and chaplain. She said she reported her abuse to church officials in the early ’90s, when her memories of the trauma finally surfaced about two decades after she was repeatedly raped.

“I expected them to do the right thing in 1992,” she told reporters Wednesday. “I’m still angry.”

Maskell abused at least 39 victims, according to the report. He denied the allegations before his death in 2001 and was never criminally charged. The Associated Press typically doesn’t name victims of abuse, but Wehner has spoken publicly to draw attention to the issue."

"The Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, known as SNAP, noted the report lists more names of abusers than have been released publicly by archdiocese officials. The organization called on the archbishop to explain the discrepancies."

"COURT TO CONSIDER RELEASING MORE NAMES IN THE FUTURE

Lawyers for the state asked a court for permission to release the report and a Baltimore Circuit Court judge ruled last month that a redacted version should be made public. The court ordered the removal the names and titles of 37 people accused of wrongdoing — whose names came out during confidential grand jury proceedings — but will consider releasing a more complete version in the future.

Lawmakers’ passage of a bill to end the state’s statute of limitations Wednesday came after similar proposals failed in recent years. Currently, victims of child sex abuse in Maryland can’t sue after they turn 38. The bill would eliminate the age limit and allow for retroactive lawsuits."

From the Baltimore Sun:

Report shows ‘astonishing’ depravity in sexual abuse of more than 600 in Baltimore’s Catholic archdiocese

"A four-year investigation of Baltimore’s Catholic archdiocese reveals the scope of 80 years of child sex abuse and torture and how church officials often covered it up and, in some cases, paved the way for further abuse."

"The Maryland Attorney General’s Office released Wednesday its “Report on Child Sexual Abuse in the Archdiocese of Baltimore.” Its nearly 500 pages tell how 156 clergy and other Church officials tormented more than 600 children and young adults, dating back to the 1940s. The Baltimore archdiocese covers Baltimore City and nine counties in Central and Western Maryland."

"The report names at least 36 abusers who are not listed on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s online list of 152 priests and brothers credibly accused of abuse. Ten more abusers’ names were redacted. Other diocesan officials’ identities are redacted also, and the Catholic Church paid at least some of the legal costs for a group of people who sought to have their names shielded.

“Today is a win for me,” said Donna Von Den Bosch, a retired nurse and victim of Father Joseph Maskell and Father Neil Magnus in Baltimore. “It’s not entirely what I wanted because a lot has been redacted, but I just take it one day at a time.”

From the Baltimore Sun:

Report shows ‘astonishing’ depravity in sexual abuse of more than 600 in Baltimore’s Catholic archdiocese

"A four-year investigation of Baltimore’s Catholic archdiocese reveals the scope of 80 years of child sex abuse and torture and how church officials often covered it up and, in some cases, paved the way for further abuse."

"The Maryland Attorney General’s Office released Wednesday its “Report on Child Sexual Abuse in the Archdiocese of Baltimore.” Its nearly 500 pages tell how 156 clergy and other Church officials tormented more than 600 children and young adults, dating back to the 1940s. The Baltimore archdiocese covers Baltimore City and nine counties in Central and Western Maryland."

"The report names at least 36 abusers who are not listed on the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s online list of 152 priests and brothers credibly accused of abuse. Ten more abusers’ names were redacted. Other diocesan officials’ identities are redacted also, and the Catholic Church paid at least some of the legal costs for a group of people who sought to have their names shielded.

“Today is a win for me,” said Donna Von Den Bosch, a retired nurse and victim of Father Joseph Maskell and Father Neil Magnus in Baltimore. “It’s not entirely what I wanted because a lot has been redacted, but I just take it one day at a time.”

One more quote from this Baltimore Sun article:

"In some cases, the church spent more on services for abusive priests than it did for victims. In 1993, a man who came forward with allegations against Father James Dowdy, who worked in at least half a dozen Baltimore-area parishes from the 1970 through the 1990s. The man said Dowdy kissed and inappropriately touched him when he was between 16 and 24 years old. Dowdy was placed on administrative leave in 1993.

Three years later, the archdiocese agreed to pay the victim’s counseling and medication costs, in addition to paying for ongoing therapy for Dowdy. A subsidy was paid to Dowdy through 1997, when he formally stopped working for the church. Health coverage continued after his separation.

The archdiocese calculated it had paid $99,000 to Dowdy since 1992, exclusive of counseling and treatment, which cost another $60,000. The victim received less than $9,000."

I have been following this story for quite some time and have posted on the FB page.
One thing that strikes me is the fact that her body was dumped just over the line into Baltimore County.

The significance I attribute to this is the fact that Maskell was friends with cops and used to drink with and ride along with them. Everything I've read points to these being county cops.

He also coerced some of them into sex acts with the girls in his office.

I don't think Maskell was directly involved in her death but I suspect the county cops probably were, at his behest. By dumping her body in the county, they could control the narative and all aspects of the investigation.

I recently joined because Grace Elizabeth (Gay) Montanye’s murder has always haunted me. After school I worked at a bakery that was situated directly across the street from Franklin High School. Gay would come in to purchase a donut at least once a week. She was sweet and very lovely. The year she was murdered she was running in a local beauty pageant. I still can see her beautiful smile and blonde hair. During that year, there seemed to be a string of murders in Baltimore county and city of women/girls. My mom became very concerned with me taking public transportation after my school bus dropped me off. Not long after Gay was found dead, I changed part time jobs closer to home.
Through the years Gay would pop into my head. I’d google to see if anything was solved.
It appears the last post was 2017. Does anyone know if there have been any breaks in the case?
Back then we only heard bits and pieces of the actual crime. One story I heard was someone posing as a talent agent wanted her to do some modeling shots. Then I heard there was a woman involved with either making the appointment or picking her up. I also heard she died from blunt trauma to her head and had burns on her body. Has anyone ever conducted any DNA testing? Has there been any new information?

I recently joined because Grace Elizabeth (Gay) Montanye’s murder has always haunted me. After school I worked at a bakery that was situated directly across the street from Franklin High School. Gay would come in to purchase a donut at least once a week. She was sweet and very lovely. The year she was murdered she was running in a local beauty pageant. I still can see her beautiful smile and blonde hair. During that year, there seemed to be a string of murders in Baltimore county and city of women/girls. My mom became very concerned with me taking public transportation after my school bus dropped me off. Not long after Gay was found dead, I changed part time jobs closer to home.
Through the years Gay would pop into my head. I’d google to see if anything was solved.
It appears the last post was 2017. Does anyone know if there have been any breaks in the case?
Back then we only heard bits and pieces of the actual crime. One story I heard was someone posing as a talent agent wanted her to do some modeling shots. Then I heard there was a woman involved with either making the appointment or picking her up. I also heard she died from blunt trauma to her head and had burns on her body. Has anyone ever conducted any DNA testing? Has there been any new information?

Welcome to Websleuths!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tkm0284
Back