Found Deceased MD - Tara Payne, 26, Baltimore, 23 March 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tara Savannah Payne's Body Found In Water In Baltimore's Canton Neighborhood

Her family is working with police to track down the truth.
The family is now focused on remembering a woman, friend and daughter who brought them so much joy.
Longtime friend, Colin Koogle, said he’s still trying to figure out what happened to her that night.
Her family said they need more answers.
“As far as the investigation, I don’t feel it’s wrapped up,” Jimmy Payne said. “We’re glad that Savannah was brought home to us, we’re thankful for the community for the outpouring of people from Canton, in the city.”

Payne’s remains will be taken to the medical examiner’s office to determine the official cause of her death.

Walking that marina area in the wee hours and tipsy is no bueno. One could stumble over and then it's pretty difficult to reach back up and grab ahold in most places much less pull yourself up. You could always swim to another structure, but as they say nothing good happens after midnight. There are cameras all over that place and my gut says everything they need is on video & it was an unfortunate accident. IF something nefarious happened I'm sure it was caught on surveillance; they have a witness from apartments that heard something; she was recovered fairly early so COD or any injuries will be somewhat transparent.
I think it’s pretty clear something nefarious happened. I don’t know how else her purse ends up on Boston Street and she in the water.

I think it’s pretty clear something nefarious happened. I don’t know how else her purse ends up on Boston Street and she in the water.

I totally agree -- I just think that someone was following her, and perhaps she turned to run, mis-stepped, and fell into the water and it was over for her. Or worse, and I think more likely -- someone got her, hurt her, etc., and then put her in the water. She may have been tipsy enuff not to realize she was not in a safe area.
I do hope the M.E. will be able to detect foul play if any occurred -- strangulation, knife, head or chest injury. Dunno what hours of being in the water might obscure WRT cause of death.
Oh, I feel so sad for her family. Her dad really seemed to love her very much -- that daddy and daughter kind of special bond seemed to be there when he spoke of her. And apparently she had many friends. SMH.
Sounds like she had a lot of living to do with both family and friends.
Sad, sad, sad. :(
May she be at peace and fly high with the angels.

Walking that marina area in the wee hours and tipsy is no bueno. One could stumble over and then it's pretty difficult to reach back up and grab ahold in most places much less pull yourself up. You could always swim to another structure, but as they say nothing good happens after midnight. There are cameras all over that place and my gut says everything they need is on video & it was an unfortunate accident. IF something nefarious happened I'm sure it was caught on surveillance; they have a witness from apartments that heard something; she was recovered fairly early so COD or any injuries will be somewhat transparent.
I totally agree -- I just think that someone was following her, and perhaps she turned to run, mis-stepped, and fell into the water and it was over for her. Or worse, and I think more likely -- someone got her, hurt her, etc., and then put her in the water. She may have been tipsy enuff not to realize she was not in a safe area.
I do hope the M.E. will be able to detect foul play if any occurred -- strangulation, knife, head or chest injury. Dunno what hours of being in the water might obscure WRT cause of death.
Oh, I feel so sad for her family. Her dad really seemed to love her very much -- that daddy and daughter kind of special bond seemed to be there when he spoke of her. And apparently she had many friends. SMH.
Sounds like she had a lot of living to do with both family and friends.
Sad, sad, sad. :(
May she be at peace and fly high with the angels.
I actually lived in Canton for several years. After we had our third kid, we left the city and now live way out in farmland. Canton is a nice area but it still did not feel safe at night. As a father of two little girls, about to have a third, I can’t imagine the suffering Mr Paine is experiencing. Just terrible.

I want to know where she was for 2 hours? From 1:30-3:30 she just seemed to vanish. I also think she was possibly drugged. I was slipped something a long time ago and it didn’t effect me like how you’d expect. I didn’t pass out. I was on my second beer and from what I’m told I got super paranoid and took off running through the woods. I ended up losing my shoes, had so many cute and bruises all over my legs and feet. Was banging on people’s doors screaming for help yet would run off when someone would answer. The police were called and they found me hiding behind an elementary school scared out of my mind and screaming to the police that “little green men” were chasing me. I ended up in the hospital and that’s where I finally “came to” around 8am. Her supposed behavior sounds EXACTLY like my experience. If I were near water and fell in/jumped in I would have died too. It made me psychotic to the point when I came to I was strapped to the bed and screaming still. They had to restrain me because I was out of my mind, saying crazy things and trying to pull out my IVs. Once I came to, my brain started realizing what was going on and I just started crying and asked where I was and how I got there and how I got there. I was told that I was drugged and I was screaming that I was raped (I was not). Ironically, a guy at the party was someone I worked with and when I saw him a few days later he had scratches down his face and neck. He had some excuse why they were there and I didn’t believe him. I quit that day and haven’t seen him since. This story has been a trigger for me because I almost felt how she was behaving.

Anyway, RIP sweet girl. I hope they find out what really happened to you.

I want to know where she was for 2 hours? From 1:30-3:30 she just seemed to vanish. I also think she was possibly drugged. I was slipped something a long time ago and it didn’t effect me like how you’d expect. I didn’t pass out. I was on my second beer and from what I’m told I got super paranoid and took off running through the woods. I ended up losing my shoes, had so many cute and bruises all over my legs and feet. Was banging on people’s doors screaming for help yet would run off when someone would answer. The police were called and they found me hiding behind an elementary school scared out of my mind and screaming to the police that “little green men” were chasing me. I ended up in the hospital and that’s where I finally “came to” around 8am. Her supposed behavior sounds EXACTLY like my experience. If I were near water and fell in/jumped in I would have died too. It made me psychotic to the point when I came to I was strapped to the bed and screaming still. They had to restrain me because I was out of my mind, saying crazy things and trying to pull out my IVs. Once I came to, my brain started realizing what was going on and I just started crying and asked where I was and how I got there and how I got there. I was told that I was drugged and I was screaming that I was raped (I was not). Ironically, a guy at the party was someone I worked with and when I saw him a few days later he had scratches down his face and neck. He had some excuse why they were there and I didn’t believe him. I quit that day and haven’t seen him since. This story has been a trigger for me because I almost felt how she was behaving.

Did the hospital do a toxicology test to find out exactly what was in your system?

this sounds exactly like what happened to shannan gilbert!

Tara Savannah Payne's Family Searching For Answers After Her Body Was Recovered From Water Near Baltimore's Canton Neighborhood

updated March 26

Now, the medical examiner will determine Savannah’s cause of death.

Her grieving family said they still need more answers.

Her family is working with police to track down the truth.

Her aunt said Savannah’s car was left where she parked it and her purse was found along Boston Street.

Residents said they heard a commotion in the area at the time Payne went missing and say when they called 911 it took an hour to respond.

But during a press conference Friday, Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott said his office looked into the police response time and said nothing was improper about their response.

“We did look into it with the police department and then they responded out in a proper manner and in the future. Unfortunately, this is a tragic incident with this young lady. I’m sure in the future the police commissioner and folks will be able to share more information,” Scott said.

Questions remain in missing Savannah Payne case

March 26
A community is still processing the tragic result of a two-day search in Canton.

Right now, the Baltimore Police Department is awaiting the result of an autopsy and toxicology report to determine a cause of death.

Meanwhile, family and friends tell FOX45 News they're left with many unanswered questions.

Those who live in the Moorings community, near where Payne's remains were found, told FOX45 news a neighbor had called 911 to report a woman in distress and it took more than an hour for an officer to respond.

FOX45 News asked the Police Commissioner if he had also heard this concern, during an unrelated press conference.

"I have not personally heard that but when we get complaints like that are always concerning," said Harrison. "Those are complaints we take seriously and look into to find out why."

Mayor Brandon Scott told FOX45 News they had heard a similar complaint and it was looked into.

"In this case that is not the case," said Scott. "We did look into it with the police department and they responded out in a proper manner and in the future, you know this is a tragic incident with this young lady. I'm sure in the future the police commissioner and folks will be able to share more information."

FOX45 News requested the 911 audio recording and dispatch information, including response times and has not yet received that information.

The investigation is on-going.

‘Everyone Loved Her’: Baltimore Woman’s Body Is Found In Water After Disappearing While Celebrating Her Birthday | Oxygen Official Site

March 26
“Homicide detectives believe this incident was accidental and that foul play was not a factor,” Baltimore Police Det. Donny Moses told Oxygen.com. “At this time, we are still awaiting toxicology and autopsy results to determine Ms. Payne’s exact cause of death.”

Police have said she may have fallen into the water but have not drawn any final conclusions about the death, according to The Baltimore Sun.

Moses told Oxygen.com that police were able to locate and recover her belongings.

‘Everyone Loved Her’: Baltimore Woman’s Body Is Found In Water After Disappearing While Celebrating Her Birthday | Oxygen Official Site

March 26
“Homicide detectives believe this incident was accidental and that foul play was not a factor,” Baltimore Police Det. Donny Moses told Oxygen.com. “At this time, we are still awaiting toxicology and autopsy results to determine Ms. Payne’s exact cause of death.”

Police have said she may have fallen into the water but have not drawn any final conclusions about the death, according to The Baltimore Sun.

Moses told Oxygen.com that police were able to locate and recover her belongings.

This is all very suspicious. Why would her purse be on Boston Street? Why would someone have called 911? What was the knocking and commotion about? Doesn’t add up to a mere accident.

While Savannah's premature death is extremely sad, I think these moments in her life capture her deep love of the ocean. I was looking at her FB page and I really like this picture of her. She loved the water so much and it made me think it was calling her home..., the way she was standing there, in that moment, looking over its vastness and never-ending beauty.

Facebook

And this is a great one from her aunt's FB page: Facebook

Last edited:
Jimmy Payne, a retired Baltimore City firefighter and diver, spent his career rescuing others from the Baltimore waters.

But on Thursday, the remains of his own 26-year-old daughter, Tara Savannah Payne, were pulled from the Canton shoreline after she disappeared early Tuesday morning while out celebrating her birthday with friends.

“For me, it’s surreal to be in the same spot where I have rescued people and helped bring them home,” Jimmy told local station WJZ of the heartbreaking loss.

Savannah disappeared early Tuesday morning after she had gone out the night before to celebrate her birthday with friends.

Baltimore Police said she was last seen around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday in the 2800 block of O’Donnell Street, according to a statement. Her remains were found in the water just off of the 1200 block of Dockside Circle, not far from where she disappeared, Thursday.

Do they have video of Tara falling in the water? Why else would they say foul play is not involved?

<modsnip>

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Savannah was slipped something that night. Something happened. It is just too coincidental that many residents heard screaming and someone trying to get into their apartments and Savannah leaving her possessions on Boston Street and ultimately ending up dead in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure LE is going to be very sensitive but I get the feeling there may be video of a very intoxicated or drugged woman acting erratically walking down the street (captured on multiple security cameras / doorbells), dropping her purse, etc., that ends with her falling into the water. This is JMO but note news articles mention neighbors noticed a “commotion” not an attack or chase. LE also said there was a call to LE and neighbors say police responded in an hour. That seems more consistent with a call about a woman impaired on the street than someone witnessing a fight or assault calling for emergency help.

Hopefully toxicology will show if poor Savannah was drugged or if this was just an accident. Her friends must feel awful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seniorbeauty
Back