MD MD - Upper Marlboro, WhtMale 15-20, UP4833, initials 'ELT' on jacket, Dec'73

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just one of my searches....resulting in this find.

Maybe he was send to the Boy's Village through the Jewish Big Brother League. (it was at least in existence in 1950 when they honored a Judge Moylan as Big Brother of the year for Maryland). Third column in this Congressional Record

It's still in existence today. Jewish Big Brother and Big Sister League | Recovery Month

Organization Description (as for today)
Non-federal. The Jewish Big Brother and Big Sister League is an outpatient treatment program for adolescents, adults, and families suffering from alcohol, drugs, or other chemical dependencies. City Baltimore, Maryland.

Need to search for more historical information.

History of JBBBS | Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Boston

Founded in 1919, Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Boston (then the “Jewish Big Brother Association”), is New England’s oldest youth mentoring organization and one of the 12 founding members of the national Big Brothers Big Sisters movement. Today, JBBBS is among over 400 independent Big Brothers Big Sisters programs in operation throughout the United States.

What began as a War-era initiative to serve Jewish immigrant boys and their families at a time when Jews lacked access to or were actively excluded from receipt of social services, has expanded its reach from an inaugural program serving a few children to one that, today, and with financial support from CJP, The United Way, the Rodman Ride for Kids and various foundation grants, matches over 250 Jewish and non-Jewish children, boys and girls, from a variety of life circumstances and over 90 towns in eastern Massachusetts.

Interesting research! I’m going to have read more about this place. And that you all for your feedback! It’s much appreciated.

I have doubts because of this missing person's age (born 2-28-1952, in December 1973 he would be 21) and the very young looking PM-pic of UID, but I see a "maybe".
Anthony Peter Tumolo – The Charley Project
Missing in 1966 from Philadelphia, PA, 5'2, 110, 14 years old, black hair (somewhat curly, in one of the pictures his hair looks more brown then black), brown eyes (dropping down a little on the outer side). I'm not sure about the ears and for MP there is a scar mentioned on his right cheek (depending on how deep it was this could have faded trough the years) and his mouth looks much broader. MP was described to be stubborn, independent and naïve and was in some kind of trouble before he went missing.

Anyway.....maybe it will open the possibility that this UID was from Italian decent and just took some clothes he could get a hold on.
TumoloAnthonyPeter.jpg
0906831b-b60c-4c57-b23f-a8f56e021c28.jpg

TumoloAnthonyPeter2.jpg

I'm glad to see you've suggested Anthony. :) I was coming to suggest him as a PM to JD. I was hesitant due to the timeline b/w his disappearance (1966) and JD's death (1973) but I think back to the case of of Michael Devlin's kidnapping of Shawn Hornbeck 4 1/2 years before he abducted Ben Ownby. Also, Anthony had 8 siblings. I wonder if any of their initials would have been ELT? John Doe had been hospitalized prior to his discovery. I can imagine an abductor needing to get rid of the body of a young man who had been kidnapped or harbored. Given the visual similarities and the circumstances surrounding Anthony's case, I think it would be wise for LE to do a comparison.

PA - PA - Anthony Tumolo, 14, Philadelphia, 15 Oct 1966

I wish they would try genealogy on this case. I'm normally not one to do this but @othram - any chance you could reach out to the agency?

I did send them a mail about this case a while ago. There is something special with this boy...I don't know why I feel that. I would love to see them taking this case, but LE has to say yes to0 I guess.

I did send them a mail about this case a while ago. There is something special with this boy...I don't know why I feel that. I would love to see them taking this case, but LE has to say yes to0 I guess.

did you ever hear back from them.. yeah I have seem drawn to him and to the 1972 voluisa county kid. Omg iam so drawn to that kid!!

did you ever hear back from them.. yeah I have seem drawn to him and to the 1972 voluisa county kid. Omg iam so drawn to that kid!!

No, I didn't but to be honest I didn't followed it up myself too, since my last contact. They got back to me in October, saying they have reached out to LE, but didn't hear anything back yet and they will keep me posted if there is news. Maybe there isn't (sufficient) DNA to process. I don't know.

Last edited:
No, I didn't but to be honest I didn't followed it up myself too, since my last contact. They got back to me in October, saying they have reached out to LE, but didn't hear anything back yet and they will keep me posted if there is news. Maybe there isn't (sufficient) DNA to process. I don't know.

They did let me know they are in the process of looking at the case with LE. Hoping they can be of any help to them. Any progress will be communicated through DNASolves.com. Fingers crossed! THX @othram

1567UMMD1.jpg

https://www./data/attachments/8/8540-ca0a6b7c03b12b5c2e975e6cecdd8003.jpg

a reconstruction of the decedent by Carl Koppelman.

Date of Discovery: December 6, 1973
Location of Discovery: Upper Marlboro, Prince George's County, Maryland
Estimated Date of Death: Hours prior
State of Remains: Recognizable face
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description

Estimated Age: 15-20 years old
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 105 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown with a faint mustache.
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers

Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted

Clothing & Personal Items

Clothing: Blue/gray cotton jacket with the initials "ELT" on the collar, green sweatshirt, white undershorts, gray and white corduroy trousers, socks, brown boots, and a brown belt. Crudely written on the left leg of the trousers is "Shalom" and multiple other crude writings.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery

The decedent was located in a wooded area on Old Crain Highway near Pennsylvania Avenue in Upper Marlboro. He may have been hospitalized in the days prior to his death.

Investigating Agency(s)

Agency Name: Maryland Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Agency Contact Person: Joe Mullin
Agency Phone Number: 410-333-3225 or 410-333-3271
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 93611

Agency Name: Maryland State Police
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 410-290-1620
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: A73-2136

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 4833
Former Hot Case Number: 1445

Information Source(s)

NamUs
1567UMMD
https://www.*****************/threa...er-marlboro-md-6-dec-1973-elt-in-jacket.1793/

He was a tiny guy. 5'0"!
I agree, with a bit of autosomal DNA uploaded to Gedmatch, we could easily determine if he was of (Ashkenazi) Jewish descent or not.

As I said, the word "shalom" alone does not help much, it has been used in various christian and other charitable campaigns throughout the decades, it became so widely used that it is not anything exclusively Jewish at all anymore.

I would love to see the other "crude" writings on his pants.

They had those Big Brother/Sister programs in many Jewish communities in the 1970s and 80s. They in those days were what the name still says. They matched a Jewish teen or young adult from a stable family with another Jewish teen from a broken home so that they hang out together, help each other with school and become friends. Eventually the stability of the one party was supposed to influence the other positively. A friend of ours in the US was part of that in the 80s. He had the role of "big brother" and was matched with another boy from an immigrant home. No drug issues but domestic violence and poverty.

It only later (in the 1990's?) turned into a group home/rehab project for substance abuse individuals.

History of JBBBS | Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Boston

Founded in 1919, Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Boston (then the “Jewish Big Brother Association”), is New England’s oldest youth mentoring organization and one of the 12 founding members of the national Big Brothers Big Sisters movement. Today, JBBBS is among over 400 independent Big Brothers Big Sisters programs in operation throughout the United States.

What began as a War-era initiative to serve Jewish immigrant boys and their families at a time when Jews lacked access to or were actively excluded from receipt of social services, has expanded its reach from an inaugural program serving a few children to one that, today, and with financial support from CJP, The United Way, the Rodman Ride for Kids and various foundation grants, matches over 250 Jewish and non-Jewish children, boys and girls, from a variety of life circumstances and over 90 towns in eastern Massachusetts.

They had those Big Brother/Sister programs in many Jewish communities in the 1970s and 80s. They in those days were what the name still says. They matched a Jewish teen or young adult from a stable family with another Jewish teen from a broken home so that they hang out together, help each other with school and become friends. Eventually the stability of the one party was supposed to influence the other positively. A friend of ours in the US was part of that in the 80s. He had the role of "big brother" and was matched with another boy from an immigrant home. No drug issues but domestic violence and poverty.

It only later (in the 1990's?) turned into a group home/rehab project for substance abuse individuals.

Very interesting insights.

Hello everyone, bumping here.

Totally reaching but, I don't know why the "Shalom" written on the jeans strikes me as some type of bullying or mockery or ethnically motivated thing. Like what teenage boys would do to bully another boy for being jewish. And "Shalom" is a very basic word in Hebrew which means "Hello or Goodbye", which can usually be used for mocking if that were the intention.

It said "Crudely", so that's why it strikes me as such.

Although the cause of death seems to be pneumonia, so I don't suspsect foul play or anything. But why was this boy out there by himself? Runaway who somehow caught pneumonia suddenly and suddenly passed away because he did not have somewhere to stay?

Is it rainy/cold on Maryland by December? Was he an asmathic?

Last edited:
Hello everyone, bumping here.

Totally reaching but, I don't know why the "Shalom" written on the jeans strikes me as some type of bullying or mockery or ethnically motivated thing. Like what teenage boys would do to bully another boy for being jewish. And "Shalom" is a very basic word in Hebrew which means "Hello or Goodbye", which can usually be used for mocking if that were the intention.

It said "Crudely", so that's why it strikes me as such.

Although the cause of death seems to be pneumonia, so I don't suspsect foul play or anything. But why was this boy out there by himself? Runaway who somehow caught pneumonia suddenly and suddenly passed away because he did not have somewhere to stay?

Is it rainy/cold on Maryland by December? Was he an asmathic?
Just a few quick points.

Shalom also means peace. I'm struggling to see how writing shalom on someone's jeans would be a way to mock them.

Crude has multiple meanings, and the meaning in this case seems to be rudimentary or unrefined (think "crude cave drawings" instead of "crude humor").

IMO drug abuse is implied in this case. Needle marks and pneumonia both point to it.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I had pneumonia for 6 months before I sought treatment, and at that point I was diagnosed with atelectasis (partially collapsed lung). I was relatively healthy, in college at the time, and I wasn't using any drugs. I can't imagine experiencing it while potentially homeless and abusing drugs. Pneumonia could absolutely kill someone under those circumstances.

Speaking from my own personal experience, I had pneumonia for 6 months before I sought treatment, and at that point I was diagnosed with atelectasis (partially collapsed lung). I was relatively healthy, in college at the time, and I wasn't using any drugs. I can't imagine experiencing it while potentially homeless and abusing drugs. Pneumonia could absolutely kill someone under those circumstances.

I had flu and pneumonia at the same time at the start of the Spring semester of my freshman year in college. I was really sick, and probably should have been in the hospital, or at least at home. I'd never been that sick before and didn't realize just what a dangerous position I was in. I rode it out in my dorm room, in bed for a week, but it took me a couple of months to get well, and the whole semester to catch up on my school work (I was an engineering major). Pneumonia is serious business. I could have died in that dorm room.

Id love to know what the other words on his pants were.

Does the hospital he stayed in have records? He may have given them a false name and probably ran away from the hospital to get more drugs, despite having severe pneumonia. Pneumonia if untreated can easily kill you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974
Back