MD MD - Woodstock, WhtFem 35-60, UP11923, found alive/injured in a field, died Sep'71, Jul'71

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I submitted Betty as a potential match to their regional contact, it was the same person for both and the only one with an email listed. I hope that's the right person to contact. I've never submitted anyone before, I don't know why I'm nervous about it. I think I have a fear of bothering people who have so much work to do already. Logically I know that's a silly thought, but man my nerves say otherwise!
I hope we can identify this poor dear. It's so heartbreaking that she really needed someone to care for her and no one even knows her name.
Gah, I'm not crying. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not. Dang it, I am.

Hi Ubee. You are a sensitive person which is sweet and very much appreciated, but you have to harden yourself a little bit, because even sadder, horrific, jaw dropping story's are here on WS and will keep on coming. I don't say this to harm you, I'm just concerned for you. And oh yes..there are some cases I have to cry over to.

Maybe the dentals will fix it (still not sure because Betty had dentures and with Jane Doe this is not mentioned and would be a good identifier so why not mention it) As for the DNA: Jane Doe has insufficient DNA (how on earth is that possible, coming from a hospital??) so a match on DNA is not going to happen.

Thanks for the concern, that's very thoughtful. I am sensitive, but I have seen some sad, scary and weird stuff in my life and I'm pretty tough and resilient, I can be a crybaby though. I think I was mostly surprised that the sadness of this case just snuck up on me! I'm also a speed-reader/typer, so sometimes I end up just typing out my train of thought without proofreading as much as I maybe should. I do know when to step back and take breather if something starts to get to me; I really appreciate you looking out for us though, you seem very kindhearted 😊
I'm not exactly getting my hopes up that Betty is a match, but I made a list of similarities vs. differences, and they had more similarities so I submitted it. She was the only nearby MP that was remotely plausible, and after seeing the similarities I would have felt uneasy not submitting her as a potential match.

This poor woman. :(

Yes, very sad. This is some additional info about the circumstances. Howard County Jane Doe

When she was found, she was described as wearing a blouse, skirt, slip, and underclothes, but police could not find her shoes or purse at the scene. Without knowing her identity and medical history, doctors were unable to treat her or explain her condition, though they determined that she had recently had a stroke on her left side. She later died on September 7, 1971.
  • She was white.
  • She had brown hair that was beginning to gray.
  • She had brown eyes.
  • She had a hump in her nose.
  • Her right ovary had been removed.
  • Her blood type was O+.
  • She had recently suffered a stroke on her left side (though this was not thought to be the cause of her semi-conscious state).

Sketch from The Evening Sun, 22 June 1971

Note that in the sketch she has longer (wavy?) hair, later cut short in the hospital.

Well, this provides a little more info but still doesn’t give a cause of her semi-conscious state. ETA: I answered my own question. She was injured. (from the link you posted). We also now know she was fully dressed upon discovery. What on earth happened to this poor woman?

She was "injured", and in a semi-conscious state. She could not be identified and was hospitalized at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore. The woman was described as suffering the effects of exposure and in "poor condition".

Someone suggested Shirley Frew some 15 years ago on a blog post made by Frew's granddaughter, and I think there's enough circumstantial evidence there to warrant a comparison.

The post cites Frew as having told relatives in 1969 she would be moving to a state that started with the letter "m." The original commenter lamented the eye color difference between the MD Jane Doe, but we now know from the newspaper articles that both Frew and the UID had blue eyes. Height and hair color/texture also line up, and Frew might have had a hysterectomy (but perhaps her children/relatives didn't know specifics of that surgery).

Frew's Doe Network profile
Frew's NamUs profile

Someone suggested Shirley Frew some 15 years ago on a blog post made by Frew's granddaughter, and I think there's enough circumstantial evidence there to warrant a comparison.

The post cites Frew as having told relatives in 1969 she would be moving to a state that started with the letter "m." The original commenter lamented the eye color difference between the MD Jane Doe, but we now know from the newspaper articles that both Frew and the UID had blue eyes. Height and hair color/texture also line up, and Frew might have had a hysterectomy (but perhaps her children/relatives didn't know specifics of that surgery).

Frew's Doe Network profile
Frew's NamUs profile
Is there any information out there that would show that Shirley Frew and the Howard County Jane Doe had been submitted for comparison?

I wish they were clear about the eye color. For now I go with either brown (Namus) or blue (newspapers), Doe Network says brown or blue.

According to this quote Shirley was submitted, but I don't know what became of it. Can somebody with access take a look at the rule outs?
Thanks Sunnynz...I did as you suggested. I submitted..the worse they can say is NO, right?

So will see what happens.:waiting:
Received a response "I will reach out to the LE working the Shirley FREW case and they will look into this match.

Thank you for your submission! Have a great day."

I can't recall there was a follow up, but I can be mistaken or read over it.

In 2017 (when the identifiers could still be seen in Namus) the file said DNA: Complete - Insufficient DNA for profiling. I have doubts they could do a comparison with Shirley (or others). Dentals could have been used, if Jane Doe still had teeth, which I'm not sure. Because the DNA technology is so very much advanced today (they can make a profile with an inimini bit of DNA) maybe there is still a chance for this woman to be identified through DNA comparison. I would love to see an update about the status of this case and the investigation into her identity.

I wish they were clear about the eye color. For now I go with either brown (Namus) or blue (newspapers), Doe Network says brown or blue.

According to this quote Shirley was submitted, but I don't know what became of it. Can somebody with access take a look at the rule outs?

I can't recall there was a follow up, but I can be mistaken or read over it.

In 2017 (when the identifiers could still be seen in Namus) the file said DNA: Complete - Insufficient DNA for profiling. I have doubts they could do a comparison with Shirley (or others). Dentals could have been used, if Jane Doe still had teeth, which I'm not sure. Because the DNA technology is so very much advanced today (they can make a profile with an inimini bit of DNA) maybe there is still a chance for this woman to be identified through DNA comparison. I would love to see an update about the status of this case and the investigation into her identity.
NamUs is currently showing no rule outs.

0 Missing Person Exclusions

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7259/0/

I think the woman looks middle aged, but so emaciated you really can't tell, so
I did a quick search on namus for Maryland just to see if anyone similar maybe popped up. I almost didn't even click on it because of the gap in years when Betty went missing and this woman was found. It makes sense maybe though reading about the circumstances of Betty's disappearance. She has a lot of images on her file, and it's really hard to tell what she'd look like at that weight, but I think the uid and the older woman (Bettys mother?) In the photos share a resemblance. She had the scar, dentures, hazel eyes, the heights off but everything else looks really close. If anyone wants to submit her, please go ahead. I'm still a bit unclear on how to do that, and this is the only second I'll have today where I'm not driving.

I think she looks emaciated because she was in the hospital dying for several weeks. She might not have been so thin when she was found.

Poor woman. It's a hard way to have your life end.

NamUs is currently showing no rule outs.

0 Missing Person Exclusions

I went ahead and submitted for a potential match with Shirley Frew on the Doe Network and for comparison on Namus. It may have been submitted before, but I couldn't find any information to confirm.

Shirley Frew's Namus profile shows 4 comparisons that have been eliminated, but Howard County Jane Doe isn't one of them. I'll update if I hear anything back from either place.

The Doe Network said that the comparison with Shirley Frew has already been submitted before. Nothing from Namus, but I periodically check Shirley's and Jane's profile on there to see if there's been any exclusions and nothing yet.

I'm still searching though and found Dorothy "Dot" Thompson

Dorothy May "Dot" Thompson, 53, Walla Walla, 25 Aug 1969

Namus

There's very little information out there about Dorothy. We don't even have a picture, but based off characteristics of what we do have, it's worth a try.

In 2017 (when the identifiers could still be seen in Namus) the file said DNA: Complete - Insufficient DNA for profiling. I have doubts they could do a comparison with Shirley (or others). Dentals could have been used, if Jane Doe still had teeth, which I'm not sure. Because the DNA technology is so very much advanced today (they can make a profile with an inimini bit of DNA) maybe there is still a chance for this woman to be identified through DNA comparison.

What a shame about the DNA profile. I truly hope that you're correct and technology will be helpful in ID'ing her.

Went ahead and submitted these 2 missing people cases for comparison:

Dorothy May "Dot Thompson Namus

Anna Francis Leatherwood Namus Doe Network

Anna matches pretty much everything including hair, height, eye color, age range, weight is iffy but Jane was found in poor health and both had scarring on the abdomen. Anna's circumstances kind of allude to her spouse possibly being behind her disappearance, but she may have fled her home for safety reasons.

Dorothy is more of a long shot even though the characteristics on Namus are similar. There's quite the distance between Washington state and Maryland, but you just never know. A lot can happen in a couple years.

Went ahead and submitted these 2 missing people cases for comparison:

Dorothy May "Dot Thompson Namus

Anna Francis Leatherwood Namus Doe Network

Anna matches pretty much everything including hair, height, eye color, age range, weight is iffy but Jane was found in poor health and both had scarring on the abdomen. Anna's circumstances kind of allude to her spouse possibly being behind her disappearance, but she may have fled her home for safety reasons.

Dorothy is more of a long shot even though the characteristics on Namus are similar. There's quite the distance between Washington state and Maryland, but you just never know. A lot can happen in a couple years.
I think Anna Francis Leatherwood may be a potential match for this Jane Doe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seng Naw
Back