ME ME - Portland, Fore River, AsianFem 30-50, UP15135, tattooed brows, $500, 'Bride' sweatshirt, May'15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm going to just throw this out there as a distant possibility:

In 2013 and again in 2014 in Portland/South Portland illegal massage parlors operated by the same two (or more) women of Chinese ethnicity were busted. Neither listed home addresses in Portland- one had NJ and CT addresses for mail, the other was from Flushing (Queens) NY. I wonder if this could have been someone who worked at those or similar establishments. (I have to admit that *rarely* are the cases we come across here related to human trafficking, particularly sex trafficking rings, but for some reason I think this woman was possibly involved in something adjacent to the sex industry if not the industry itself and may be missing and unreported from an entirely different state or country.)

Edited to add: there are a small group affiliated with two of the women who were charged (owner and manager) who applied for massage licensing in two other states in 2011 and 2012 (for example: Kentucky, see top of page three): http://bmt.ky.gov/Meeting Minutes/Meeting Minutes September 24, 2012.pdf )- note other names of affiliates in the Kentucky meeting minutes were subsequently charged in other states for similar. I just think there may be someone missing related to these businesses.

I'm going to just throw this out there as a distant possibility:

In 2013 and again in 2014 in Portland/South Portland illegal massage parlors operated by the same two (or more) women of Chinese ethnicity were busted. Neither listed home addresses in Portland- one had NJ and CT addresses for mail, the other was from Flushing (Queens) NY. I wonder if this could have been someone who worked at those or similar establishments. (I have to admit that *rarely* are the cases we come across here related to human trafficking, particularly sex trafficking rings, but for some reason I think this woman was possibly involved in something adjacent to the sex industry if not the industry itself and may be missing and unreported from an entirely different state or country.)

Edited to add: there are a small group affiliated with two of the women who were charged (owner and manager) who applied for massage licensing in two other states in 2011 and 2012 (for example: Kentucky, see top of page three): http://bmt.ky.gov/Meeting Minutes/Meeting Minutes September 24, 2012.pdf )- note other names of affiliates in the Kentucky meeting minutes were subsequently charged in other states for similar. I just think there may be someone missing related to these businesses.

I was thinking somewhat along the same lines but I thought maybe she was brought from outside of the US and came to this country as a "mail order bride" type situation. Maybe she was catfished and the "groom" attempted to traffic her. Or maybe the relationship didn't work out and her groom thought she returned to her home country.

Quite a difference in sketches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems unusual to me that she was wearing knee high stockings under jeans. I know some women prefer that if they're wearing certain shoes with jeans (like ballet flats). It doesn't say anything about shoes in the description but it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of her clothing. My first thought upon reading lace thong and knee highs was "sex worker"

Unless there is another 2015 Portland, ME Jane Doe that I am unaware of, she is now a DNA Doe Project.

That's great news. It's got to be her. We don't have a lot of Jane & John Does on the books. Just speculating, but I'm thinking since the State of Maine had such great success with the "Fuller" John Doe, they decided to try their luck again.
Sadly the one Maine unidentified remains case I would love to be solved is a baby Doe, which we all know DDP won't do ( I understand why ). Can't have it all, I guess. But, I am happy to see this update.

The newer recon is so much better. The old recon just looks like a drawing of what she looks deceased, which as we all know isn't accurate to what they look like in life, especially since she's been in the water.

DNA Doe project are amazing, though I can see this case being difficult. They've said in the past that cases of Does who are black are more difficult because of less people of those ethnicities taking DNA kits. I can imagine the number of people of Asian decent taking DNA kits is even lower... and even then, they're unlikely to be related to this Doe because there are hundreds of different ethnicities in Asia. And even then, if this woman was born in Asia rather in the US, she's not likely to have any family in the US other than maybe children. I can't see her having many distant matches let alone close ones. Even building a family tree might be more difficult because things like birth records from Asian countries might be hard to find. But you never know, they might get lucky. I'm crossing my fingers.

It may be prove difficult to identify her because of her race and possible foreign place of origin, but definitely worth a try. Even cases that don't turn out the way we hope are part of the learning process, just to see what shakes out, so they'll know what to do better/different next time.

The closest possibility I found was a woman from Texas who has been missing since 05/29/2015.
It's a bit of a stretch. The height isn't too far off but the weight is, and there's a week between the date of her missing and when this UP was found. There's not much information on the MP at all, only that she went missing on the date above and her physical description. I couldn't find any news articles or any other sites mentioning her disappearance.
Missing Person Case
Hidoen Hiao
attachment.php

I just made a thread for Hidoen: TX - TX - Hidoen Hiao, 39, Dallas, 29 May 2015
This UID was the first one I thought of when I saw her case added to Charley Project and I didn't even recall you had posted her here Alleykins.
The dates don't quite work (UID found 5/22, Hidoen last contact date was 5/29) but there could be explanations for that I suppose... I wish we had more info on Hidoen's case.

I just made a thread for Hidoen: TX - TX - Hidoen Hiao, 39, Dallas, 29 May 2015
This UID was the first one I thought of when I saw her case added to Charley Project and I didn't even recall you had posted her here Alleykins.
The dates don't quite work (UID found 5/22, Hidoen last contact date was 5/29) but there could be explanations for that I suppose... I wish we had more info on Hidoen's case.
I never pursued the possible link because so little information was put in NamUs about her at the time. IIRC, she didn't even have a pending DNA profile. The date she went missing gave me pause, but where it was so close, I didn't think it would negate an inquiry. Thank you for making a profile for her.

Does anyone think Maria Nina Miller is worth further research?

A little update from DDP on Portland Jane Doe.

She’s now in the GEDMatch system. A little bit more closer to being identified.
DDP just posted an update on their Fb page, and encourage followers of Asian descent to upload their data to GEDmatch:

"The DNA Doe Project would like to announce that DNA from Jane Doe Portland has finished sequencing and is currently undergoing genetic genealogy analysis.

Who was Jane Doe Portland?
A passerby discovered a recently deceased body on 22 May 2015 on the rocks on a beach a short distance from Fore Street in Portland, Maine. Authorities believe Jane Doe Portland was a female of Asian descent, 30-50 years of age who may have committed suicide by drowning in the ocean. She was dressed in nice clothes and had expensive dental work, as well as tattooed eyebrows, weighed 99 pounds and measured 5’1” tall.

NamUs #UP15135
Date Found 22 May 2015
Gender Female
Estimated Age 30-50
Estimated PMI 1 day
Location Portland, ME

Anyone who believes they have relevant information on this case should contact authorities directly:

Lindsey Chasteen, Medicolegal Death Investigator
Maine Office of Chief Medical Examiner
207-624-7180

Links to More Information
Cases Archive - DNA Doe Project Cases
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Jane Doe Portland has predominantly Asian ancestry, and for that reason, we encourage our friends in underrepresented communities to transfer their raw DNA to GEDmatch and Family Tree DNA (These are both free, but always read the Terms of Service!); and to help with this case particularly, those with any Asian descent should upload. We will share more details on Jane Doe Portland's admixture soon!

Many thanks to our thoughtful supporters for their continued support and interest in the DNA Doe Project

Our thanks to the unknown artist who created this photo reconstruction.

#JaneDoePortland
#CumberlandCounty
#Maine
#DNADoeProject"

The clothes look like normal middle class Asia to me (based on living in Asia and having multiple sisters-in-law who dress in this style: hubby’s sisters). For example short stockings under pants are really common even in the heat in Asia (‘stockings’ being the term for knee-high hose with elastic tops, not sex-worker-style suspenders-and-stockings).

Also tattooed eyebrows are popular in certain communities but not in others: Korean, Japanese, some Chinese communities such as those in Malaysia and Hong Kong (not sure about the mainland itself). I’m sure there are others that I’ve not frequented.
I really hope that this young lady shows up some decent matches on GED eventually - after all it just takes one really close match, right?!

I read back but couldn’t see that isotopes had been done - does anyone else know if there is a report?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12
Back