Media Links Only Please, No Discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.ncwanted.com/unsolved/story/5130124/

Abaroa's Second Wife Speaks Out By NC WANTED Staff
Posted: May. 12, 2009
Updated: Today at 6:03 p.m.

DURHAM COUNTY — The new wife of Raven Abaroa, a person of interest in the 2005 stabbing death of his first wife Janet, has come forward with startling details about her relationship with Abaroa that may assist the murder investigation.

Vanessa Pond, of Utah, told NC WANTED in an exclusive interview that during their short marriage, Raven was abusive both physically and mentally, profoundly deceitful, and prone to sudden, intense mood swings.

Investigators met with Vanessa, who was joined by her parents, Randy and JoDean Pond, while they were in Durham for the NC WANTED interview to gain a better perspective on the Raven Abaroa only a wife could know, and what that might mean for the Janet Abaroa murder investigation.

Vanessa Pond and Raven Abaroa met in early December of 2007 and were engaged six months later, on Mother’s Day. As the wedding approached, Vanessa said, Raven’s behavior shifted. He became violent.

“The day of my bridal shower was the first time. He threw me down and he pushed me around that day,” Vanessa told NC WANTED. She was reluctant to tell her story to the media, fearing for her safety in Utah with Raven nearby, but she ultimately felt that it was the right thing to do.

“I don’t want anyone else to ever be in this same position, ever. And he’ll keep on going. He’s starting to slip and he’s becoming more dangerous,” she said.

After two and half months of marriage, the couple separated on Christmas Eve 2008. Vanessa recalled the night he left:

“He was in the process of cursing me out and calling me names, telling me how much he hated me, and he didn’t care if I died. So he was pushing me around in the bathroom and wouldn’t let me out of the bathroom… Then he said, ‘you know what? I want to hit you so bad. I don’t care, I’m going to hit you; I can’t get in trouble for it anymore,’” she said.

“And later, as Raven was leaving, he went downstairs and grabbed Kaiden and said, ‘come on, we have to go. Mommy doesn’t want us anymore… Who does that to a child?”

Janet Abaroa was stabbed to death in her Durham home on April 26, 2005. She was pregnant with the couple’s second child. Kaiden, who was six months old at the time, was home during the attack, but was left unharmed.

Raven told police he came home from a soccer game to find Janet dead in the bedroom. (Read more about the Janet Abaroa murder investigation by clicking the links in the gray sidebar at right, or visit our home page today for the full story.)

Investigators told NC WANTED that Raven is a person of interest in his first wife’s death and that he has not been fully cooperative with the investigation.

Raven sat down with NC WANTED in 2007 for an exclusive interview about Janet’s murder. He adamantly denied any involvement in her death.

“The bottom line is that I was not involved with the death of my wife…that I would do anything in the world to keep her here with me and that's just, you know, that's something I know and that's something that Janet knows and I think that's something the people who truly know Janet and truly know me, can understand and appreciate,” he said.

When Vanessa found out that Raven’s first wife had been murdered, she wanted more information. She found the whole story on ncwanted.com, and stayed up all night watching Raven's lengthy interview. She told her parents about the murder and about the speculation surrounding Raven.

They decided to confront him directly.

“It was a pretty point-blank question, but we’d been needing to know. Raven’s response to that was, ‘I loved my wife’… in a beating-around-the-bush kind of answer. It was never ‘yes’ or ‘no,’” JoDean said.

For Randy, a retired police officer, Raven’s response was a red flag, but out of a desire to support his daughter, he gave Raven the benefit of the doubt.

“He’s two people, in my opinion. He’s a Jekyll and Hyde and the Jekyll side of him is very charming, very appealing, very convincing,” Randy said.

The red flags didn’t start coming for Vanessa until after the wedding. The first on their honeymoon:

“He was very drunk, and he started talking about how mad he was after Janet died. And kept reiterating how mad he was after she died, just how mad,” Vanessa recalled. “Then he cuddled up close to me and said, ‘I promise I’ll never hurt you.’ And I didn’t know how to take that.”

Raven’s “Jekyll and Hyde” personality extended into several aspects of his life – his relationships, his faith, his soccer career, the Ponds said.

People Raven considered to be close friends told Vanessa they are scared of him. He would often try to convince Vanessa that she was suicidal, that her behavior was erratic, that everything was her fault, she recalled.

“He could go back and forth within seconds and he would say the most horrible things and then moments later, act as if nothing had happened,” she said.

And he was controlling. Vanessa said he monitored her computer use, checked her phone, always knew what she was doing and who she was calling.

“It was the same thing that he did to Janet. It was a pattern. I was so scared for Vanessa,” JoDean said.

In his interview with NC WANTED, Raven talked about his aggressive, competitive nature, but maintained that he would always avoid a fight on the soccer field.

The Pond family recalled a time they attended one of Raven’s soccer games. He was red-carded and thrown out of the game for stomping his cleats into the back of a player who had fallen and was on his knees.

Sitting on the sidelines, JoDean recalled, “he looked totally relaxed and he was chuckling and he said, ‘that’s retribution.’”

Vanessa also saw huge inconsistencies in Raven’s faith. While he talked about trying to be a better person, a better Mormon, he drank heavily, and was ex-communicated from the Mormon church for living with Vanessa outside of marriage, she said, an arrangement he proposed after only few months of dating.

Although Vanessa and Raven are still legally married, Vanessa plans to file for divorce in the near future. She said she no longer believes anything Raven ever told her, and that he twisted the truth to gain her trust.

“He had me convinced that everyone was trying to frame him… that everyone was out to get him, that he was the poor victim,” she said. “In his own world, he’s above everyone else and he can do no wrong. He’s so above everyone and everything, the law included.”
Anyone with information that could assist investigators should call NC WANTED toll free at 1.866.43.WANTED (1.866.439.2683) or click on "Report a Tip" Your identity can be kept confidential.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5138321/

Durham widower's new wife talks to police about unsolved murder

abaroafamily-220x165.jpg

Posted: Today at 6:02 p.m.
Updated: 5 minutes ago

Durham, N.C. — Four years after the stabbing death of Janet Abaroa, a pregnant Durham woman, police have new information about her widower, whom they have not ruled out as a suspect in the case.

Janet Christiansen Abaroa was found dead inside an upstairs bedroom at her Ferrand Road home on April 26, 2005. Her 6-month-old son, Kaiden, was also in the home but was unharmed.

--
Snipped

http://www.ncwanted.com/unsolved/image/5141489/

Vanessa Pond Speaks Out

The new wife of Raven Abaroa, a person of interest in the 2005 stabbing death of his first wife Janet, has come forward with startling details about her life with the man she believes is capable of murder. Vanessa Pond, of Utah, told NC WANTED in an exclusive interview that during their short marriage, Raven was abusive both physically and mentally, profoundly deceitful, and prone to sudden, intense mood swings.

Janet Abaroa: Pregnant Mother Stabbed At Home

http://www.ncwanted.com/unsolved/story/5130137/

By NC WANTED Staff
Posted: May. 12, 2009
Updated: Jun. 17, 2009

DURHAM COUNTY — Janet Abaroa was at home with her 6-month-old son the night of April 26, 2005 when she was attacked, stabbed repeatedly and left huddled in a pool of blood on her bedroom floor.

She didn’t know it, but she was in the early stages of pregnancy, and despite some problems in her marriage, Janet’s family told NC WANTED that she was living a good life.

“I think she wanted to just have it work out between her and Raven so that they could have a happy family and raise Kaiden together,” said Janet’s sister, Erika Christiansen.

Her husband, Raven Abaroa, has not been fully cooperative with authorities and moved to Utah with Kaiden shortly after Janet was killed. He is a person of interest in her death, authorities said.

NC WANTED took an in-depth look at the Janet Abaroa murder investigation in November 2007. Raven agreed to sit down for an exclusive interview, where he recalled his version of events the night Janet was murdered. (You can watch our exclusive interview with Raven Abaroa by clicking the links in the gray sidebar at right.)

“The bottom line is that I was not involved with the death of my wife…that I would do anything in the world to keep her here with me and that's just, you know, that's something I know and that's something that Janet knows and I think that's something the people who truly know Janet and truly know me, can understand and appreciate,” Raven told NC WANTED.

But rumors of Raven’s infidelities and his refusal to take a polygraph test have raised suspicions.

“I feel, looking at the evidence that has been presented in this case, that Janet was killed by somebody that knew her,” said Sgt. Perkins of the Durham Police Department.

Raven described April 26, 2005 as an ordinary day. Raven and Janet got off work, picked Kaiden up from daycare and came home to make dinner. A home teacher from their Mormon church came over around 6:30 p.m., and the three read and discussed Scripture together. The teacher left at 7 p.m., not knowing that he would never see Janet again.

From 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., according to Raven, he and Janet were at home with Kaiden. Police have no independent confirmation of these events. Raven told police they had a normal evening together, fed Kaiden and put him to bed. Janet watched television while Raven got ready for an indoor soccer game. As he was leaving, Raven told NC WANTED, Janet begged him not to go.

Team members confirm that Raven attended the soccer game, that he arrived on time and left around 10 p.m. to head home. Investigators confirmed that he made one stop on the way home and walked into his unlocked house around 10:40 p.m.

Raven called 911 at 10:58 p.m. to report that he arrived home to find that his wife wasn’t breathing and he thought she had been shot. According to the autopsy report, Janet sustained stabbing injuries at 10:50 p.m., one in the chest and one in the neck. She died at 10:55 p.m.

“I got home and, you know, go upstairs. I'd always go in and give Kaiden a kiss... and just feel his warm little body,” Raven said. “That’s when I found out that something wasn't wrong… Janet died that night. I wasn't there.”

Although investigators are publicly calling Raven a “person of interest,” no charges have been filed and the crime remains unsolved.

If you have any information about the murder of Janet Abaroa, call NC WANTED toll free at 1.866.43.WANTED (1.866.439.2683) or click on "Report a Tip" Your identity can be kept confidential.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=8408459

Murder Mystery: What Happened to Janet Abaroa?

Durham Police and Family Search for Clues in Brutal 2005 Stabbing of Young Mother

By JOHN QUINO
NES, STEVEN SCHNEE and RENA FURUYA

Sept. 2, 2009

A murder mystery played out in the suburbs of Durham, N.C., in April 2005, when Janet Abaroa, a beautiful, 26-year-old northern Virginian, was stabbed to death in her own home.

Four years later, despite the lack of arrests, Abaroa's family and police continue to search for clues.

The woman's family members believes they know what happened to her that night, and all their suspicions point toward her former husband, Raven Abaroa. Those suspicions were bolstered recently when Raven and his second wife separated and she went public with her fear that he might somehow have been involved in his first wife's death.

Raven Abaroa has said he discovered his dead wife's body in the bedroom of their Durham home after he returned from playing soccer that evening. Nothing else in the house was disturbed, authorities say. The couple's 6-month-old son, Kaiden, was left unharmed in another room.

Snipped more at link

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=8408459

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6995418

ABC WTVD-TV
WTVD-TV Raleigh-Durham, NC
By Steve Daniels

Abaroa, 25 and pregnant, was found murdered more than four years ago in her Durham home. Police have not made any arrests and have no suspects in the case.

However, there has been a lot of speculation about what happened on the night of April 26,2005.

Many thought Abaroa was living the American dream, but that dream ended when her husband found her stabbed to death. Their infant son was unharmed and sleeping in another room.

* more at link
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=6995418

Poor child being raised by the person who killed his mother. If they ever find more evidence to put Raven away, then the child will be lose both parents. What a shame.

http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/6736970/

NCWanted Top Stories for 2009!

May 12, 2009: Abaroa's Second Wife Speaks Out

NC Wanted sat down for an exclusive interview with the second wife of Raven Abaroa, who is a person of interest in the 2005 stabbing death of his pregnant wife Janet. Vanessa Pond flew in from Utah to provide intimate details of her marriage to Raven, details that could aid the investigation into Janet's murder. Since we broke the story, Pond has granted interviews to national media outlets, including ABC Primetime.
During their short marriage, Pond told NC Wanted, Raven was abusive both physically and mentally, profoundly deceitful, and prone to sudden, intense mood swings. They met in early December of 2007 and were engaged six months later, on Mother’s Day. As the wedding approached, Vanessa said, Raven’s behavior shifted. He became violent.
“The day of my bridal shower was the first time. He threw me down and he pushed me around that day,” Vanessa told NC WANTED. They separated after two and a half months of marriage.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6942948/

Durham police make arrest in Janet Abaroa murder case
February 1, 2010

Durham, N.C. — Durham police investigators arrested Raven Abaroa on Monday and charged him with murder in the April 2005 death of his wife, Janet Abaroa.

Raven Abaroa, 30, of South 8th St. in Montpelier, Idaho, was taken into custody at his home without incident.

(Snipped)

“This arrest is the result of hard and tenacious work by our investigators and a strong partnership with the FBI and the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation. Investigators continued to follow leads and never gave up,” Durham Police Chief Jose L. Lopez Sr.said in a news release.

Raven Abaroa was placed Monday in Idaho's Caribou County jail without bond. He is being held for extradition to North Carolina.

Anyone with additional information on the case is asked to contact Investigator Charles Sole at 919-560-4440, ext. 29350 or by e-mail at Charles.Sole@durhamnc.gov or Sgt. Sheldon Perkins at 919-560-4440, ext. 29326 or by e-mail at Sheldon.Perkins@durhamnc.gov.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=7251799

DURHAM (WTVD) -- Durham police investigators have arrested Raven Abaroa and charged him with murder in the April 2005 death of his wife, Janet Abaroa.

Janet Abaroa, 25, was stabbed to death inside her home at 2606 Ferrand Drive on April 26, 2005.

The Abaroas' 6-month-old son, Kaiden, was uninjured. There were no obvious signs of a break-in, but a laptop computer was missing from the house.

Abaroa, 30, was arrested Monday at his home in Montpelier, Idaho without incident.

He was placed in an Idaho jail without bond. He is being held for extradition to North Carolina.

In the hours before her death, Janet Abaroa, who was in the early stages of pregnancy, picked up her child at day care and went with her husband to drop her car off for repairs.

http://www.ncwanted.com/ncwanted_home/story/6943074/

Abaroa Arrested for Murder in Idaho

by NC Wanted Staff
Posted: 51 minutes ago
Updated: 51 minutes ago

Durham Police sent a dispatch at 8:49p.m. Monday , February 1, 2010 announcing the arrest of Raven Abaroa at his home in Idaho. Abaroa had recently been living near his estranged second wife, Vanessa Pond, in Utah. NC Wanted will provide more information as it becomes available.

Rest of story at link

http://www.wral.com/news/local/audio/6943527/

Husband arrested in Janet Abaroa slaying

(snipped)

Tim Dowd, spokesman for Janet Abaroa's family, issued a statement late Monday after Raven Abaroa's arrest was made public.

"Throughout the years the Christiansen family has remained confident and held to the faith that one day there would be justice for Janet’s murder. The Christiansen’s are especially grateful to tireless efforts of detectives and agents with the Durham Police Department, North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations and the FBI. As far as commenting on Raven’s guilt or innocence, the family will leave that to the judicial system," the statement read.

NC Wanted also spoke with Dowd via telephone late Monday about the family's reaction. Dowd and his wife were friends with the Ravens when they lived in Virginia.

Raven Abaroa's arrest was a joint operation by the Durham Police Department, the FBI Task Force, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, the Montpelier Police Department in Idaho, the East Idaho STAR (Special Tactics and Response) Team and the Bear Lake County Sheriff's Department in Idaho.

Full report at link:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/6942948/

http://news14.com/triangle-news-30-...-arrested-in-idaho-for-durham-mother-s-murder

DURHAM – Authorities in Idaho have arrested the husband of a woman who was found stabbed to death in April 2005 in Durham.

Janet Abaroa, 25, was pregnant at the time of her murder. She was also the mother of a 6-month-old son.

Officials arrested the victim’s husband, 30-year-old Raven Abaroa, who currently lives in Idaho. He has been charged with the victim’s murder.

--
Video at the link!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95