Meredith Kercher murdered-Amanda Knox appeals conviction #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every profession has some people of poor character. There are sleezy doctors, dentists, teachers, journalists ... but to assume that all lawyers are sleezy or greedy is bizarre. There are books about unethical doctors, dentists, teachers and journalists. That does not mean that the entire profession is sleezy or greedy.

Furthermore, what is true in the US is not necessarily true in the rest of the world. I think it is very important to keep some perspective. The US is known for ambulance chasing and for everyone being lawsuit happy, so it's understandable that there might be a perception that everyone in the world thinks similarly ... but it is a mistake.
You are correct; I think I may be too cynical, a bit jaded....

No this is happening in true life and in fact even Peggy Ganong has filed a police report. Along with Candace Dempsey, Steve Moore etc., etc., etc.,

"While fans say his blog poses alternative theories rarely discussed in the mainstream media, critics say his minimalist moderation results in an out-of-control comment section where posters "out" those who wish to remain anonymous, track their ISP addresses to reveal their physical locations, pose as people they are not -- someone posted as Kercher, the victim, once -- and make threatening posts about each other, as well as about the major players in the case, including Knox, her family, journalists, lawyers and prosecutors".

Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/arti...olice-investigation-1304148.php#ixzz1TzfDzNpr

ETA There are many more on both sides, but to ignore that this is indeed not happening is dangerous

Who is the "he" referred to in your quote? The admin of a website doesn't have to track IP addresses, they're all available as soon as someone posts a comment. What is "he" talking about when he suggests that people making comments are tracking IP addresses?

You are correct; I think I may be too cynical, a bit jaded....

I think there's a tendency for people to be cynical and jaded when they don't like the results that lawyers achieve in the courtroom. Occasionally there is a lawyer that is sleezy and greedy, but their career is usually seedy. Maresca did not gain the reputation he has by being sleezy and greedy.

Furthermore, by ensuring that the culprit's conviction are upheld, there is no money. If 20 years go by with Knox and Sollecito in jail, they'll need another 20 years to earn what they owe the victim's family. By that time, Maresca may well be long in his grave. It's absurd to suggest that he has a financial motive to see the convictions upheld as upholding the convictions means there will be no money.

I think there's a tendency for people to be cynical and jaded when they don't like the results that lawyers achieve in the courtroom. Occasionally there is a lawyer that is sleezy and greedy, but their career is usually seedy. Maresca did not gain the reputation he has by being sleezy and greedy.

Furthermore, by ensuring that the culprit's conviction are upheld, there is no money. If 20 years go by with Knox and Sollecito in jail, they'll need another 20 years to earn what they owe the victim's family. By that time, Maresca may well be long in his grave. It's absurd to suggest that he has a financial motive to see the convictions upheld as upholding the convictions means there will be no money.

Unlike the US that you seem to look down upon so much, Italy has no laws disallowing convicts from making profits from their infamy, so there really is a good chance that if AK & RS have their convictions upheld, the Kerchers will still eventually get their money, and their lawyer with them.

Maresca has gained his questionable reputation through courtroom theatrics that are undignified, disrespectful of the process and unnecessary. Really, is it not the height of idiocy and rudeness to interrupt a presentation by the court appointed experts when he knew full well that he would have a go at them later that week? Meridith deserves better, IMO. And please don't go trying to peg motives onto me, I already stated that I like the fact that the Kerchers demanded this new round of witnesses.

Every profession has some people of poor character. There are sleezy doctors, dentists, teachers, journalists ... but to assume that all lawyers are sleezy or greedy is bizarre. There are books about unethical doctors, dentists, teachers and journalists. That does not mean that the entire profession is sleezy or greedy.

Furthermore, what is true in the US is not necessarily true in the rest of the world. I think it is very important to keep some perspective. The US is known for ambulance chasing and for everyone being lawsuit happy, so it's understandable that there might be a perception that everyone in the world thinks similarly ... but it is a mistake.

Bold by me: You must be joking - Italy has shown itself to be even more lawsuit happy in this case than even the US that you hate so much. At least in the US (and all of Europe except Italy) you don't have to worry about being sued for offering testimony in court.

Please don't hold your breath otto waiting for that cite. :banghead:

Yes, the phone calls/non-calls are very suspicious any way you look at it... without blinders that is.

It's only suspicious if you think that all people do things exactly the same. Luckily, we don't come out of a factory, so people all react to situations differently. But hey, I'm a non-conformist, so I'm probably a bit biased there. :crazy:

Unlike the US that you seem to look down upon so much, Italy has no laws disallowing convicts from making profits from their infamy, so there really is a good chance that if AK & RS have their convictions upheld, the Kerchers will still eventually get their money, and their lawyer with them.

Maresca has gained his questionable reputation through courtroom theatrics that are undignified, disrespectful of the process and unnecessary. Really, is it not the height of idiocy and rudeness to interrupt a presentation by the court appointed experts when he knew full well that he would have a go at them later that week? Meridith deserves better, IMO. And please don't go trying to peg motives onto me, I already stated that I like the fact that the Kerchers demanded this new round of witnesses.

How are convicted murderers going to make a living in jail? I fail to understand why anyone thinks that convicted criminals can earn millions behind bars ... so please enlighten me.

It seems to me that the Italian courtroom circus we saw a few weeks ago with the five convicted prisoners was a bit of a free for all with the lawyers, so why shouldn't other hearings be the same, and why blame the lawyer representing the victim for whatever courtroom order or disorder that occurs?

The bottom line is that Maresca is under attack by anti-verdict/anti-jury positioners because he made a request at the last hearing to have additional witnesses heard regarding the DNA report. That seems to have upset people to the extent that there is a full on attack of him.

Bold by me: You must be joking - Italy has shown itself to be even more lawsuit happy in this case than even the US that you hate so much. At least in the US (and all of Europe except Italy) you don't have to worry about being sued for offering testimony in court.

I don't see that Italy is lawsuit happy, but I have seen many people charged in connections with the Meredith Kercher murder for violating the law. For example, Dr Sollecito is charged for releasing crime scene footage to the media, the Knox parents have been charged with slander. What personal gain lawsuits have there been other than Patrick suing Knox for destroying his life?

What difference does it make. It took Filomina about 85 seconds to make a call to Knox about locating Meredith ... one of two calls that Knox did not answer shortly after Knox called Filomina. Knox, on the other hand, made a 16 second call to Meredith's UK phone, then 3 and 4 second calls to both the UK and Italy phones. That's hardly enough time for someone to answer the phone let along leave a message.

It suggests that Knox didn't really expect Meredith to answer the phones.

But why did Knox expect MK to fail to pick up?

Was it because AK knew MK was dead? Or was it merely that she'd already gotten MK's voicemail in the 16 second call and was used to MK picking up quickly (as the young, who live on their phones, tend to do nowadays)?

I know from my own experiments that a cell phone rings several times in the caller's ear before it even begins to ring at the other end. But not every caller is aware of that. So a 4 second call may have meant 10 or 12 seconds of ringing to AK, and it may have seemed even longer if she was anxious.

But why did Knox expect MK to fail to pick up?

Was it because AK knew MK was dead? Or was it merely that she'd already gotten MK's voicemail in the 16 second call and was used to MK picking up quickly (as the young, who live on their phones, tend to do nowadays)?

I know from my own experiments that a cell phone rings several times in the caller's ear before it even begins to ring at the other end. But not every caller is aware of that. So a 4 second call may have meant 10 or 12 seconds of ringing to AK, and it may have seemed even longer if she was anxious.

So you would suggest that when Knox is desperately trying to contact Meredith because she is supposedly worried about her, calling one phone for 3 seconds and the other for 4 seconds is quite normal?

But the compensation is not a certainty, winning the case (justice for the parents) is the objective. He is doing a excellent job, with or without compensation coming into the equation.

I realize the blogger in SMK's link feels otherwise, but to me, the issue was never that Maresca is dishonest or corrupt. The point is that it's naive to insist he is some sort of disinterested truth seeker. The same may be said of the prosecution and defense teams, IMO, but it had been suggested that Maresca was somehow different.

Skewed View merely pointed out that he has his own stake in the outcome of the trial.

When a statements includes "the Kercher's lawyer ..." then it is actually a comment about the lawyer, not the system.

Rubbish. There's nothing wrong with your language skills, otto. Reread that sentence and you'll see for yourself what nonsense it is.

Here's an example from one of the posts (mine) that you quoted:

...This is an insane system. And not the fault of the Kerchers' lawyer personally. He may genuinely believe AK and RS are guilty, just as you do....

Yes, there is a reference to Maresca, but hardly a negative one. The primary criticism is aimed at the system.

So you would suggest that when Knox is desperately trying to contact Meredith because she is supposedly worried about her, calling one phone for 3 seconds and the other for 4 seconds is quite normal?
Nova just said it was probably longer.....

I realize the blogger in SMK's link feels otherwise, but to me, the issue was never that Maresca is dishonest or corrupt. The point is that it's naive to insist he is some sort of disinterested truth seeker. The same may be said of the prosecution and defense teams, IMO, but it had been suggested that Maresca was somehow different.

Skewed View merely pointed out that he has his own stake in the outcome of the trial.

If Knox and Sollecito's conviction is over-turned, they go off and live their lives, no money is paid to the victim's family.

If Knox and Sollecito's conviction is upheld, they go off to jail for the next 20+ years. Someone has suggested that they can become millionaires in jail, but why would they do that if all their earnings will go to the victim's family? Furthermore, how does someone become a millionaire in jail?

Either way, there is no compensation to the family, so to suggest that the lawyer for Meredith, the victim, has a financial motive to see the convictions upheld makes no sense.

Nova just said it was probably longer.....

But it wasn't longer. The phone records clearly indicate 3 and 4 seconds. Those are the facts, not what someone suggests on this forum.

Actually, it is more like 8 million at stake if the convictions are overturned. Do I think Francesco is chasing money? Answer: He is a lawyer. We all know how greedy they have become in the past decades; books have been written on the subject. Attorneys take a cut of 30-40 %, so yes, I do believe 3.2 million may be driving him..... Does this mean the Kercher's are bad people? NO. Just hurt, terribly hurt, and looking to their attorney for guidance.

In fairness to lawyers--and I've worked with hundreds, if not thousands, of them--society in general has become more and more focused on money. Capitalism has conquered the world, haven't you heard? :)

As I said, those couple mentioned hardly classify as 'misinformation'.

I did not ask about 'everything discussed here'... just what you considered misinformation in the presentation. I see no errors in the presentation... that is why I wanted you to back up your claim.

And SMK did it for me, citing two of numerous examples. I don't feel like making a list of items we (including you) have all been discussing for at least the past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kudo-magician179