Messiest apartment ever

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The link is on another site I visit and we were searching out unusual objects like the plug in air fresheners, a fed ex box, a news paper but we couldn't make out the date, a greasy chili's bag and 2 pennies, a AA battery, etc. We studied that nasty place for several hours yesterday playing "where's waldo" of sorts.

These pics completely blow me away! EWW! The animal rescuer in me was COMPELLED to read through the posts until I found some info on the cats. Apparently, the landlord found out that the cats were ok & living with someone else. I agree that this must be some type of mental illness. You see these types of conditions with animal hoarders (way too many pets to care for). It has actually been shown to be a form of OCD. Strange how some forms of OCD can cause people to be meticulous about cleaning & some cause this kind of nastiness......just sad.

To Lanie - I can totally see your point of view as a landlord. I didn't get my security deposit back from the last apartment I lived in because my kid spilled Kool-Aid & it wouldn't come out. A Kool-Aid stain cost me $250 LOL! I cannot imagine how must it would cost to get that apartment livable again....not to mention the lost rental income from the amount of time it takes to clean it!

wow...i thought my house was a mess....Hey atleast I have a trash can and bags and know they are used for..now my husband and kids...I'm still training them.

BUT THAT IS JUST HORRID..
sad part tho was that the litter box looked like the cleanest thing in the whole entire apt.

I couldn't get past the first one.

My former best friend would leave her apartments just trashed and move out of them. I think that says something really nasty about your character. I really respected and appreciated our last landlord.

Some times it's a disorder sometimes it's just that somebody always cleaned up after them.

There's a show on BBCAmerica called How Clean is Your House? It's totally gross places like this, sometimes worse even.

Kim and Aggie (the two hosts) go to peoples homes on request, and it's seriously shocking stuff. Just grub and grime everywhere. I think it's on during the morning, I'm not sure though I record one a day to watch late at night.

They go in and do lab tests to find out the germs lurking about, sometimes it's just downright scary what is found on someone's kitchen counter. In one home it was shocking that no one had died yet, every thing the lab tested for.. they had in the kitchen alone. Yuck.

Then with a team, and the home owners and sometimes their friends/family too, they clean and teach the home owners tips and tricks to clean easier. Many times it is simply that the owner has gotten so overwhelmed that they can't just do it. With the feeling of "If I clean this area.. the rest is so gross, what's the point?" type attitude.

I've learned loads of cleaning tips while watching.

Then they do a follow up check in on the home owners and almost every time, the house is kept beautiful. Once, the guy just had the place wrecked nearly in that short time. It was disrespectful I thought, after all the hard work that was done.

Some of the shows make me gag though. I highly advise not eating while watching the show, particularly when you see Kim and Aggie go into the home owner's bathroom. Eww.

I was wondering where my sister was living at. Whew! glad to see she is doing OK.

Totally gross. What that person was spending on take-out food, cigarettes and soda, they could've paid their rent several times over.

Oh, my gosh!! The apartment is totally disgusting but this is very often caused by a particular kind of mental disorder. Hoarding is a mental disorder and some people hoard trash. They cannot bear to throw anything away. I strongly suspect this woman needs serious psychological help over a very long period time.

Why does everything have to be a disorder? I have several rental properties, and have had them left in almost as bad circumstances on several occasions. I cleaned them myself until I was pregnant and wasn't able to even be in the property without throwing up.
I don't feel sorry for the nasty, disgusting people who do this sort of thing, I feel sorry for the people who have to come in and clean it up. The owners of that apartment can spend even more money to take all this to court and get a judgement, but they will never collect a dime, meanwhile, they also have to put out of pocket whatever it costs to try to make this place liveable again.
Nope, no sympathy from me for someone who has no respect for other people or their property.
Lanie
edited to add: If people actually had to take responsibility for their actions, and suffer consequences of their actions, instead of just having excuses made for them, maybe there wouldn't be so much of this going on.

Thankfully, someone else has mentioned hoarding on this thread. I had only heard of it in passing (I think Delta Burke was in a clinic to be treated for it) and Oprah did a show on seemingly well put together people whose houses (which they owned so there wasn't really a landlord to conspire against) has collected so many things, they had nowhere to sleep.

My sister sent me this link. It is a friend of ours from high school whose father had hoarded so many things that his house collapsed and it took firefighters a very long time to even find him.

http://www.childrenofhoarders.com/forum/article339.html

Although I grow tired of new-found disorders, I look at this apt and I believe that if the person OWNED the property, it would look exactly the same.

I was under the impression that the person hadn't given notice and left the apt in a shambles for the landlord to clean. Maybe that's how they chose to live and may have left it "broom clean" for their landlord? I am very neat and could never live the way this renter did, but it seems so extreme that I leave room for something more than laziness. I don't understand the disorder any more than I do, say, anorexia, but that doesn't mean I can't accept it. JMO.

Thankfully, someone else has mentioned hoarding on this thread. I had only heard of it in passing (I think Delta Burke was in a clinic to be treated for it) and Oprah did a show on seemingly well put together people whose houses (which they owned so there wasn't really a landlord to conspire against) has collected so many things, they had nowhere to sleep.

My sister sent me this link. It is a friend of ours from high school whose father had hoarded so many things that his house collapsed and it took firefighters a very long time to even find him.

Although I grow tired of new-found disorders, I look at this apt and I believe that if the person OWNED the property, it would look exactly the same.

I was under the impression that the person hadn't given notice and left the apt in a shambles for the landlord to clean. Maybe that's how they chose to live and may have left it "broom clean" for their landlord? I am very neat and could never live the way this renter did, but it seems so extreme that I leave room for something more than laziness. I don't understand the disorder any more than I do, say, anorexia, but that doesn't mean I can't accept it. JMO.

I don't understand it either, but I know people who have had it and been treated for it. It doesn't matter if they rent or own, they do the same thing. They only really feel safe when they have all this stuff piled up around them. It's like some people who are obese only feel safe behind a wall of fat. Well, these people only feel safe behind a wall of stuff.

That is disgusting. I gagged when I saw the pictures of the bathroom. And in one picture, I see what appears to be a bottle of Febreeze. Seriously?? Like that's going to help??

i agree-- with 'why does everything have to be a disorder?' the answer: it DOESN'T,, because it's NOT! at least, not all the time! i truly believe that much of the time,, it's just simple, common LAZINESS to the extreme. and, a basic lack of human dignity, and inability to be neat and clean,, which must be TAUGHT in a civilized society.. and that is unfortunately one thing along with many others that is going out the window in our slow decline back into the dark ages!!

that being said,, i do believe that situations like this (extreme hoarding, etc.) are there as a RESULT or side effect of a mental illness that is already there. but i refuse to believe that this kind of thing is automatically a 'disorder' in itself- i do think that's part of the modern way of shirking personal responsibility. it's the new way of saying 'the devil did it',, if you will.

perhaps the modern epidemic of not taking personal responsibility is the real disorder here?? or,, is that sheer laziness too....??

who is going to be left to hold up the ideals of the human race????

i think, along with health, nutrition, exercise/personal care, and common MANNERS and ettiquette,, children should also be taught how to be neat, clean, and organized. seriously-- less calculus,, and more basic living skills!! we seem to need it more than ever!

I don't think anyone is stating that having a completely nasty apt due to your hoarding instincts is a dis-order - it is a result of a disorder. Many time an obsessive compulsive disorder.

I think those of you who are so quick to say this person is just lazy or disgusting, not taking responsibility, etc are being a little unfair and close-mind and have not personally known anyone who is a hoarder. Some things are just not so black and white. I do know someone well who is a hoarder and it is pretty obvious it is a mental disorder. She cannot help it. It is an overwhelming compulsion for her to save everything from used paper napkins to refridgerators. Her house is filled to the roof with stacks of newspaper, boxes and boxes of stuff but unlike this person she is still very clean. She is constantly rearranging it, cleaning, sweeping, she reminds me of a little squirrel because have the time you can't see her but you can hear her rummaging around. If you try to throw anything away and try to stop her from digging it out of the trash to save it THAT is when the mental disability becomes apparent. She revert into a child throwing a temper tantrum. She just cannot handle the idea of that napkin being in the trash can. She will obsess over it for days and cry, scream. She has a thing for refridgerators too. If she sees one she has to have it. She has about 10 of them. When she buys groceries she buys five of everything and she buys tons and tons of stuff. Those refridgerators and freezers are needed. Another symptom of the hoarding. She will throw old food out because it stinks and she wants things to smell clean.
I feel realy sorry for her because this is something that has really taken over her life, literally. She refuses to admit there is a problem and refuses to seek help. She will invite her entire family over for thanksgiving dinner eventhough there is no room for them, the dining room table is piled to the ceiling with stuff as are the chairs, the couches, etc.

I don't doubt there is a hoarding disorder, however, wouldn't it stand to reason if someone let things get in this state because they couldn't bear to get rid of anything, they would be hard pressed to part with it? As in just walking away and leaving it all there?
I realize my previous post was harsh, but I have been on the other side of this too many times. My SIL is like this, but I have seen enough of her and her personality to suspect it is much more about laziness than a disorder. When CPS was called in, she had no problem throwing things away, or other people throwing things away. When the coast was clear, it built up all over again.
Lanie

I don't think anyone is stating that having a completely nasty apt due to your hoarding instincts is a dis-order - it is a result of a disorder. Many time an obsessive compulsive disorder.

I think those of you who are so quick to say this person is just lazy or disgusting, not taking responsibility, etc are being a little unfair and close-mind and have not personally known anyone who is a hoarder. Some things are just not so black and white. I do know someone well who is a hoarder and it is pretty obvious it is a mental disorder. She cannot help it. It is an overwhelming compulsion for her to save everything from used paper napkins to refridgerators. Her house is filled to the roof with stacks of newspaper, boxes and boxes of stuff but unlike this person she is still very clean. She is constantly rearranging it, cleaning, sweeping, she reminds me of a little squirrel because have the time you can't see her but you can hear her rummaging around. If you try to throw anything away and try to stop her from digging it out of the trash to save it THAT is when the mental disability becomes apparent. She revert into a child throwing a temper tantrum. She just cannot handle the idea of that napkin being in the trash can. She will obsess over it for days and cry, scream. She has a thing for refridgerators too. If she sees one she has to have it. She has about 10 of them. When she buys groceries she buys five of everything and she buys tons and tons of stuff. Those refridgerators and freezers are needed. Another symptom of the hoarding. She will throw old food out because it stinks and she wants things to smell clean.
I feel realy sorry for her because this is something that has really taken over her life, literally. She refuses to admit there is a problem and refuses to seek help. She will invite her entire family over for thanksgiving dinner eventhough there is no room for them, the dining room table is piled to the ceiling with stuff as are the chairs, the couches, etc.

Bolding is mine.
I am not close minded at all. I don't believe for one minute that every dwelling looking like this is automatically a disorder. In fact, in the approximately 8 times I have dealt with this situation over the years, it hasn't been a hoarding disorder, there is none of the behavior you describe, so yes, I will give you that, I have not ever actually met someone who has a hoarding disorder, though I have seen the same filthy mess many times over.
Lanie

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slim Summers
Back