Recovered/Located MEXICO - 4 Americans missing, feared kidnapped in Matamoros, Mexico, 3 Mar 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As investigators continued their search for the gunmen who kidnapped four Americans in the border city of Matamoros last week, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador lashed out at Republican U.S. lawmakers who have proposed sending troops into Mexico, telling them that the United States should concentrate on curbing its rampant appetite for illegal drugs.

"Why don't you take care of your young people? Why don't you take care of the serious problem of social decomposition? Why don't [you] temper the constant increase in consumption of drugs?" López Obrador asked Thursday at his daily news conference.

On Thursday, law enforcement sources in Tamaulipas state circulated a letter that appeared to be from a local drug cartel that blamed the kidnapping on several rogue members of the group.

López Obrador's unusually sharp comments came two days after Mexican authorities located the missing Americans in a shack on the outskirts of Matamoros, a notoriously lawless city long disputed by rival drug trafficking groups.

At his news conference Thursday, López Obrador dismissed Republican threats of U.S. military intervention as election “propaganda.”

To fight the scourge of fentanyl, he said, the U.S. should look within its own borders.

“We are very sorry for what is happening in the United States, but why don’t they attend to the problem?” he said. “Why don’t they fight the distribution of fentanyl in the United States, the cartels in the United States that are in charge of distributing fentanyl?”

“Here we do not produce fentanyl and we do not consume fentanyl,” he insisted, despite ample evidence to the contrary.

As investigators continued their search for the gunmen who kidnapped four Americans in the border city of Matamoros last week, Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador lashed out at Republican U.S. lawmakers who have proposed sending troops into Mexico, telling them that the United States should concentrate on curbing its rampant appetite for illegal drugs.

"Why don't you take care of your young people? Why don't you take care of the serious problem of social decomposition? Why don't [you] temper the constant increase in consumption of drugs?" López Obrador asked Thursday at his daily news conference.

On Thursday, law enforcement sources in Tamaulipas state circulated a letter that appeared to be from a local drug cartel that blamed the kidnapping on several rogue members of the group.

López Obrador's unusually sharp comments came two days after Mexican authorities located the missing Americans in a shack on the outskirts of Matamoros, a notoriously lawless city long disputed by rival drug trafficking groups.

At his news conference Thursday, López Obrador dismissed Republican threats of U.S. military intervention as election “propaganda.”

To fight the scourge of fentanyl, he said, the U.S. should look within its own borders.

“We are very sorry for what is happening in the United States, but why don’t they attend to the problem?” he said. “Why don’t they fight the distribution of fentanyl in the United States, the cartels in the United States that are in charge of distributing fentanyl?”

“Here we do not produce fentanyl and we do not consume fentanyl,” he insisted, despite ample evidence to the contrary.
i agree w him. we have no right to send our troops there uninvited.

Yes, "The five friends had driven a rented minivan from South Carolina..." I don't know why she didn't have her ID - if she lost it along the way or left SC without it. MOO

Friend warned police Americans feared missing in Mexico

i'm just making this up as a possibility..... maybe she had a driver's license... but not the "real i.d." version, which could possibly make a difference crossing the border?

i'm just making this up as a possibility..... maybe she had a driver's license... but not the "real i.d." version, which could possibly make a difference crossing the border?

Real ID only applies for domestic flights (flights that start/end in the U.S) and entering federal buildings. You would need a U.S passport (passport card is acceptable for land border entry) to enter Mexico.

Something that intrigues me is that the fifth friend was concerned after 15 minutes. It it possible to cross the border and be back that quickly? Brownsville is right on the border, but wouldn't there still be a queue of cars to enter?

MAR 9, 2023
The two Americans found dead had blankets or sheets on top of them, a source close to the investigation told ABC News. One of the dead was wearing a surgical robe when he was found, the source said.

The Mexicans tried to seek medical attention for the Americans who were injured in the kidnapping, the Attorney General's Office of Tamaulipas said in a statement March 9. They were taken in an ambulance to a clinic, according to officials.

The official who confirmed the apparent legitimacy of the letter said Mexican and US law enforcement officials investigating the kidnapping strongly doubt the sincerity of the group’s apology. But they suspect the apology was issued after the attack brought considerable public attention and scrutiny onto the actions of the cartel.

The development comes after a local leader of the Gulf Cartel, wanted for past kidnappings, was arrested by Mexican authorities in Reynosa, according to a US official briefed on the apprehension.

Real ID only applies for domestic flights (flights that start/end in the U.S) and entering federal buildings. You would need a U.S passport (passport card is acceptable for land border entry) to enter Mexico.

I went for the Enhanced ID the last time I renewed my Driver’s license, and that allows me to go to Mexico and Canada.
Frankly, I don’t even know why I paid for that because I have a passport, but at least here in NY state, it is valid for border crossing.

Ostensibly, then, the friend did not have either a current passport or an Enhanced ID, which presumes the others did, if they crossed legally.

imo

The official who confirmed the apparent legitimacy of the letter said Mexican and US law enforcement officials investigating the kidnapping strongly doubt the sincerity of the group’s apology. But they suspect the apology was issued after the attack brought considerable public attention and scrutiny onto the actions of the cartel.
I cannot imagine the cartel bosses are all that concerned with proper etiquette.

I think there must be some kind of enormous pressure on the cartel, because this brought very unwelcome publicity to the reach that the cartels have in Mexico.

I‘m not sure what entity is powerful enough to force the cartel into being obedient, but I doubt it’s Emily Post.

JMO

I went for the Enhanced ID the last time I renewed my Driver’s license, and that allows me to go to Mexico and Canada.
Frankly, I don’t even know why I paid for that because I have a passport, but at least here in NY state, it is valid for border crossing.

Ostensibly, then, the friend did not have either a current passport or an Enhanced ID, which presumes the others did, if they crossed legally.

imo
Very interesting, I did not know that was a thing. It's only offered in five states right now though - Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington. source: Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They? | Homeland Security

also I want to 'walk back' the earlier reported info that they were supposed to be back in 15 minutes. The fifth person got increasingly worried as it became evening and raised the alarm the next morning. https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/10/us/matamoros-mexico-americans-kidnapped-friday/index.html

Something that intrigues me is that the fifth friend was concerned after 15 minutes. It it possible to cross the border and be back that quickly? Brownsville is right on the border, but wouldn't there still be a queue of cars to enter?
Is this ‘Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM’ needed for land entry?

Driving to Mexico​

Temporary import permits for cars registered in the United States are needed in order to drive beyond the border zones in Mexico. Permits are enforced when driving approximately 20 kilometers into Mexico. Permits are NOT needed in the Baja Peninsula.

Banjercito is the government authority that issues vehicle permits. The process can be done online, at the Mexican border, or at certain Mexican consulates in the United States. The process involves leaving a monetary deposit that will be returned upon the cancellation of vehicle permit when leaving Mexico.
  • U.S. citizens must present a valid U.S. passport book or card, in addition to an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM) issued by Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM).
  • Travelers should be sure to enter Mexico with valid proof of automobile registration, even if remaining in the border zone. Entering Mexico with an expired U.S. vehicle registration may lead to the confiscation of the auto by Mexican authorities.

I cannot imagine the cartel bosses are all that concerned with proper etiquette.

I think there must be some kind of enormous pressure on the cartel, because this brought very unwelcome publicity to the reach that the cartels have in Mexico.

I‘m not sure what entity is powerful enough to force the cartel into being obedient, but I doubt it’s Emily Post.

JMO
I agree, I don't believe cartels care a blankety-blank about public opinion or legal authority. How could they do what they do, otherwise?

I think maybe the clue is how they turned the alleged perps over to authorities. This is unusual, I think. Sleuthers were speculating up-thread, that those who botched this could be killed themselves...and probably in the past they would be.

My impression is cartels are in constant flux as leaders are arrested or killed by rivals, the current leadership of this group
may fear the risk of splintering into small, extremely violent, but fairly ineffective gangs, as has been going on in cartels all over Mexico for the past couple of decades.

Perhaps the leader, in this case, is taking a different tack, and decided to 'outsource' the job of punishing these guys.

And is sending a message to all members of the cartel of what will happen to them, if they act carelessly and recklessly, against orders.

After all, it interferes with the smooth functioning of the criminal enterprise, and with the cartel power structures.

Just some thoughts, as I have long been a sympathetic visitor to Mexico and trying to understand their problems.

JMO

no you dont. you dont need anything to drive INTO mexico. coming back, u need ID and birth cert long as u dont take the readi lane.

i thought she was concerned the next morning... i will reread.

I agree, I don't believe cartels care a blankety-blank about public opinion or legal authority. How could they do what they do, otherwise?

I think maybe the clue is how they turned the alleged perps over to authorities. This is unusual, I think. Sleuthers were speculating up-thread, that those who botched this could be killed themselves...and probably in the past they would be.

My impression is cartels are in constant flux as leaders are arrested or killed by rivals, the current leadership of this group
may fear the risk of splintering into small, extremely violent, but fairly ineffective gangs, as has been going on in cartels all over Mexico for the past couple of decades.

Perhaps the leader, in this case, is taking a different tack, and decided to 'outsource' the job of punishing these guys.

And is sending a message to all members of the cartel of what will happen to them, if they act carelessly and recklessly, against orders.

After all, it interferes with the smooth functioning of the criminal enterprise, and with the cartel power structures.

Just some thoughts, as I have long been a sympathetic visitor to Mexico and trying to understand their problems.

JMO
The Cartels are at their heart, businesses. Now, while some, the "soldiers", are just viscous psychopaths, those at the top are just interested in staying in control and making money. Unnecessary Law Enforcement attention detracts from the ability to conduct business. These killings brought a lot of attention, especially in the US, which they don't want. They don't want US LE focusing on them. I think by "apologizing" and turning over the killers (if that is who they really turned over) they are hoping to appear more reasonable. The Cartels are notoriously violent, so you can only do so much. But by doing this I think they hope to appear to be more reasonable, and thus less likely to be targeted by LE and perhaps negotiated with. They can then help LE target other Cartels and gain more control. Hoping to make lemonade out of the lemons of this tragedy.

The Cartels are at their heart, businesses. Now, while some, the "soldiers", are just viscous psychopaths, those at the top are just interested in staying in control and making money. Unnecessary Law Enforcement attention detracts from the ability to conduct business. These killings brought a lot of attention, especially in the US, which they don't want. They don't want US LE focusing on them. I think by "apologizing" and turning over the killers (if that is who they really turned over) they are hoping to appear more reasonable. The Cartels are notoriously violent, so you can only do so much. But by doing this I think they hope to appear to be more reasonable, and thus less likely to be targeted by LE and perhaps negotiated with. They can then help LE target other Cartels and gain more control. Hoping to make lemonade out of the lemons of this tragedy.

Also, interestingly, back in August 2022 the Jalisco cartel issued a "curfew" in Baja California to warn residents of impending attacks.

State officials said the assailants hijacked and burned at least two dozen vehicles and put up roadblocks around the state Friday evening. Messages also began circulating on social media, purportedly from the Jalisco New Generation cartel, declaring a curfew in Tijuana and warning residents to go home or risk being attacked. Many did, turning the normally frenetic zone of restaurants and bars around Avenida Revolución into a virtual ghost town.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back