Mexico - Canadian Kiara Agnew, 23, found dead at resort, Playa del Carmen, Mar 6, 2023 *boyfriend arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

MistyWaters

Reaction score
This is another tragedy, the very first day of a vacation in Mexico, both from Dawson Creek BC. After the initial report March 6th, then nothing more until recently. Now we learn Kiara’s body was not found in a laundry room, but in a janitor closet along with her boyfriend??? The obvious question would be why would the boyfriend be the obvious suspect as the janitor‘s closet would assumably be in an accessible area?

“The Secretariat of Public Security in Solidaridad said it has detained a man after “a lifeless woman was found with possible marks of violence in a hotel located in the Xcalacoco neighborhood.”

26 year old Ryan Friesen from Dawson Creek remains in a Mexican prison.

Agnew's aunt Katlyn Levesque said, “Things work differently in Mexico than they do in Canada. The prosecution is building its case and then charges could be laid.”

The lawyer has told Kiara's family that the due date for evidence is June 10th. After that a trial is expected to be held.

Kiara’s mom Michele Levesque will have to travel to Mexico to meet with the prosecution before the June 10th deadline.

It was initially reported by Mexican authorities that Kiara was found dead on the laundry room floor.

However the family says the lawyer told them that blood was found on the floor of the hotel. An employee was then asked to mop it up.

The staff member reportedly went to a janitor closet to find a mop and found Kiara and her boyfriend laying beside each other on the floor, inside the closet.

Katlyn said, “The lawyer has asked for video surveillance of the hotel the night Kiara died.”

At this point it's not clear if the cameras captured the events that led to Kiara’s death. The family says once transcripts are made of the surveillance videos, they will be able to read about what those cameras captured on tape….”

“A 23-year-old Canadian woman was found dead at a resort in Mexico, where she went to celebrate her birthday with her boyfriend – an ice hockey player who has reportedly been detained in connection with the death.

Kiara Agnew was found dead Friday at the Grand Sunset Princess Resort in Playa del Carmen, on Mexico’s Caribbean “gold coast” south of Cancun, a day after she arrived with Ryan Friesen, 26, the Toronto Star reported….”

This is another tragedy, the very first day of a vacation in Mexico, both from Dawson Creek BC. After the initial report March 6th, then nothing more until recently. Now we learn Kiara’s body was not found in a laundry room, but in a janitor closet along with her boyfriend??? The obvious question would be why would the boyfriend be the obvious suspect as the janitor‘s closet would assumably be in an accessible area?

“The Secretariat of Public Security in Solidaridad said it has detained a man after “a lifeless woman was found with possible marks of violence in a hotel located in the Xcalacoco neighborhood.”

26 year old Ryan Friesen from Dawson Creek remains in a Mexican prison.

Agnew's aunt Katlyn Levesque said, “Things work differently in Mexico than they do in Canada. The prosecution is building its case and then charges could be laid.”

The lawyer has told Kiara's family that the due date for evidence is June 10th. After that a trial is expected to be held.

Kiara’s mom Michele Levesque will have to travel to Mexico to meet with the prosecution before the June 10th deadline.

It was initially reported by Mexican authorities that Kiara was found dead on the laundry room floor.

However the family says the lawyer told them that blood was found on the floor of the hotel. An employee was then asked to mop it up.

The staff member reportedly went to a janitor closet to find a mop and found Kiara and her boyfriend laying beside each other on the floor, inside the closet.

Katlyn said, “The lawyer has asked for video surveillance of the hotel the night Kiara died.”

At this point it's not clear if the cameras captured the events that led to Kiara’s death. The family says once transcripts are made of the surveillance videos, they will be able to read about what those cameras captured on tape….”

“A 23-year-old Canadian woman was found dead at a resort in Mexico, where she went to celebrate her birthday with her boyfriend – an ice hockey player who has reportedly been detained in connection with the death.

Kiara Agnew was found dead Friday at the Grand Sunset Princess Resort in Playa del Carmen, on Mexico’s Caribbean “gold coast” south of Cancun, a day after she arrived with Ryan Friesen, 26, the Toronto Star reported….”
RBBM

Why was the boyfriend in the closet too??

"The staff member reportedly went to a janitor closet to find a mop and found Kiara and her boyfriend laying beside each other on the floor, inside the closet."

RBBM

Why was the boyfriend in the closet too??

"The staff member reportedly went to a janitor closet to find a mop and found Kiara and her boyfriend laying beside each other on the floor, inside the closet."

The reporting has been sketchy, perhaps due to the language barrier. But if the pair were both attacked for some reason, naturally RF would have injuries as well. I’m always a little suspicious of Mexican investigations knowing how important preserving the lucrative tourism industry is to them.

I’ve followed this story from the beginning and the six week detention of RF without charges being laid has me wondering why no Canadian MSM is following it and is the Canadian Consulate involved?

<modsnip - not an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:
The reporting has been sketchy, perhaps due to the language barrier. But if the pair were both attacked for some reason, naturally RF would have injuries as well. I’m always a little suspicious of Mexican investigations knowing how important preserving the lucrative tourism industry is to them.

I’ve followed this story from the beginning and the six week detention of RF without charges being laid has me wondering why no Canadian MSM is following it and is the Canadian Consulate involved?

<modsnip - not an approved source>
ITA w sketchy.

Not very many articles on this story. There was so much negative press regarding tourism to Mexico that I too am surprised this story hasn't gotten more press. Having said that from what I understand journalists are not well liked in Mexico, particularly foreigners.

It's questionable IMO that the bf had blood stains on his clothing and swollen hands. His "injuries" seem to align with KAs' injuries. Why was he in the closet though? Did he put himself in there?

Remembering this story that uses the term "femicide" and wondering if that isn't the case with Kiara? :( (JMO, speculation fwiw)

(just adding links to other cases for anyone interested)
Recovered/Located - MEXICO - 4 Americans missing, feared kidnapped in Matamoros, Mexico, 3 Mar 2023

Last edited by a moderator:
ITA w sketchy.

Not very many articles on this story. There was so much negative press regarding tourism to Mexico that I too am surprised this story hasn't gotten more press. Having said that from what I understand journalists are not well liked in Mexico, particularly foreigners.

It's questionable IMO that the bf had blood stains on his clothing and swollen hands. His "injuries" seem to align with KAs' injuries. Why was he in the closet though? Did he put himself in there?

Remembering this story that uses the term "femicide" and wondering if that isn't the case with Kiara? :( (JMO, speculation fwiw)

(just adding links to other cases for anyone interested)
Recovered/Located - MEXICO - 4 Americans missing, feared kidnapped in Matamoros, Mexico, 3 Mar 2023

Perhaps after harming and putting her in the closet the boyfriend purposely injured himself and laid in the closet to seem as if both had been attacked by another perp? Sounds crazy though. Maybe he passed out from intoxication after putting her there?

Perhaps after harming and putting her in the closet the boyfriend purposely injured himself and laid in the closet to seem as if both had been attacked by another perp? Sounds crazy though. Maybe he passed out from intoxication after putting her there?

I suspect that is the case, myself.

Initial reports had no details. A few days ago, the Dawson Creek media CJDC-TV, gave the laundry room story, presumably based on details given them by a family member (since no other media outlet have reported it).

"On March 3rd, Kiara’s body was found in the laundry room of the resort by a hotel worker. The employee told authorities that a 26-year-old man was found asleep on the ground with blood stains on his clothes and swelling on his hands." Italics mine.

Now, the same Dawson Creek media outlet is correcting their own report, to state they were not found on the laundry room floor, but in a closet somewhere nearby.

I've no idea how guests in a 5 star resort would end up in the laundry room, which would be far from anywhere guests might go (because of the noise), so I don't see their being found in a closet in the staff work area, as such a big change to the narrative.

Sadly, intoxication probably has something to do with it. I'm sure there are cameras in the hotel, tho maybe not in the laundry room itself. But certainly all entrances and exits, elevators, and anywhere there might be thieves.

JMO

Initial reports had no details. A few days ago, the Dawson Creek media CJDC-TV, gave the laundry room story, presumably based on details given them by a family member (since no other media outlet have reported it).

"On March 3rd, Kiara’s body was found in the laundry room of the resort by a hotel worker. The employee told authorities that a 26-year-old man was found asleep on the ground with blood stains on his clothes and swelling on his hands." Italics mine.

Now, the same Dawson Creek media outlet is correcting their own report, to state they were not found on the laundry room floor, but in a closet somewhere nearby.

I've no idea how guests in a 5 star resort would end up in the laundry room, which would be far from anywhere guests might go (because of the noise), so I don't see their being found in a closet in the staff work area, as such a big change to the narrative.

Sadly, intoxication probably has something to do with it. I'm sure there are cameras in the hotel, tho maybe not in the laundry room itself. But certainly all entrances and exits, elevators, and anywhere there might be thieves.

JMO
Yes, he probably blacked out, might not remember anything. At least that is what his attorney might say. JMO.

JMO

It would make sense if she was found in their hotel room for the boyfriend be a prime suspect. But where was this janitor‘s room that nobody saw or heard anyone fighting? And why wouldn’t it have been locked?

Also Playa del Carmen where 10 nightclub employees were recently charged with the stabbing deaths of 4 municipal inspectors. That particular area has become known to be so gang infiltrated and corrupt that one lone male who probably can’t speak the language doesn’t stand much of a chance waiting in a Mexican jail to face justice. That’s why IMO it’s rather disturbing how this tragedy involving Canadians vacationing in Mexico has been kept hushed up. Without knowing any details, not really anything can be assumed in terms of guilt.

It would make sense if she was found in their hotel room for the boyfriend be a prime suspect. But where was this janitor‘s room that nobody saw or heard anyone fighting? And why wouldn’t it have been locked?

Also Playa del Carmen where 10 nightclub employees were recently charged with the stabbing deaths of 4 municipal inspectors. That particular area has become known to be so gang infiltrated and corrupt that one lone male who probably can’t speak the language doesn’t stand much of a chance waiting in a Mexican jail to face justice. That’s why IMO it’s rather disturbing how this tragedy involving Canadians vacationing in Mexico has been kept hushed up. Without knowing any details, not really anything can be assumed in terms of guilt.

RBBM

Speculation: Where is the janitors closet in proximity to the couples room? Maybe KA and RF were fighting, KA attempted to leave, RF followed her and they both somehow end up in the closet?

JMO not very many cases where the perpetrator stays at the scene and passes out. Having said that, I also haven't read anything to suggest the couple were robbed or that their personal items were missing either.

The fact that RF is being held but hasn't been formally charged is concerning. Hopefully the security/surveillance footage will reveal whatever happened.

I got the impression the janitor closet was by the laundry room, where blood was found. The laundry room would be regularly mopped, the equipment to do that would be nearby. I picture this as being somewhere deep in the staff-only area of the resort. The 5 star all-inclusive Grand Sunset Princess resort doesn't have laundry facilities for guests, but it does have excellent security.

I agree there is terrible drug cartel violence in that region, and some tourists were caught in the literal crossfire a while ago. However, IMO it doesn't otherwise spill over into tourist areas. The bar in the article linked was a Mexican sleazy dive bar, not part of the tourist area.

1681854071127.png

ETA I'm no fan of Playa dC, or anything around there, but not because of crime.

Last edited:
I got the impression the janitor closet was by the laundry room, where blood was found. The laundry room would be regularly mopped, the equipment to do that would be nearby. I picture this as being somewhere deep in the staff-only area of the resort. The 5 star all-inclusive Grand Sunset Princess resort doesn't have laundry facilities for guests, but it does have excellent security.

I agree there is terrible drug cartel violence in that region, and some tourists were caught in the literal crossfire a while ago. However, IMO it doesn't otherwise spill over into tourist areas. The bar in the article linked was a Mexican sleazy dive bar, not part of the tourist area.

View attachment 415558

ETA I'm no fan of Playa dC, or anything around there, but not because of crime.

I agree, cartel violence usually does not spill over into the inside of hotels and I wasn’t suggesting that was directly involved in Kiara’s death. But I do get the impression the cartel is definitely present in the shadows impacting every aspect of Mexican life and therefore I’m always suspicious when the murder of a tourist occurs and basic details are shrouded in mystery.

I agree, cartel violence usually does not spill over into the inside of hotels and I wasn’t suggesting that was directly involved in Kiara’s death. But I do get the impression the cartel is definitely present in the shadows impacting every aspect of Mexican life and therefore I’m always suspicious when the murder of a tourist occurs and basic details are shrouded in mystery.
JMO but if it were related to cartel at all, I tend to think they wouldn't leave any survivors. Unless they were looking for a fall guy or something like that.

Yeah I just wish we had more info. Maybe he killed her, maybe somebody wanted to rape her and forced them into a closet and knocked him out and he fell unconscious while the bad guy did what he wanted to her. I mean why were his hands swollen? From choking her? From beating her? From fighting off an attacker? Whose blood was on him? Was she stabbed, strangulated, beaten, what?

I haven't read anything that justifies him being in jail. I'm gonna give the Mexican police the benefit of the doubt for the time being though and assume that they know MUCH more than they are releasing.

Yeah I just wish we had more info. Maybe he killed her, maybe somebody wanted to rape her and forced them into a closet and knocked him out and he fell unconscious while the bad guy did what he wanted to her. I mean why were his hands swollen? From choking her? From beating her? From fighting off an attacker? Whose blood was on him? Was she stabbed, strangulated, beaten, what?

I haven't read anything that justifies him being in jail. I'm gonna give the Mexican police the benefit of the doubt for the time being though and assume that they know MUCH more than they are releasing.

It’s difficult to contemplate how a deadly, violent altercation could occur in a resort without any witnesses being alerted. And it appears there weren’t since it was blood on the floor that lead to the discovery of the pair inside the janitor‘s closet, rather than security being called to report a violent confrontation taking place.

So I wonder is the police theory that the boyfriend pulled Kiara into the janitors closet, perhaps strangled her either before or after and then passed out? Or that her body was removed from their room and placed there, to distance the actual scene of the crime as apparently their hotel room is still being held. I also don’t think KA’s autopsy results including cause of death has been released yet. Was heavy drinking/illegal drug use/partying happening that first evening after they arrived, nothing said yet about their activities after checking in.

It would be easier to imagine the scenario as you suggested, that both were attacked and RF was left for dead but was actually unconscious.

If charges are going to be laid against him, hopefully it will happen soon. According this this article, the Mexican constitution has come under criticism for its law which allows detention up to 80 days without charges being laid while an investigation is taking place.

“Since 2008, Article 16 of the Mexican Constitution has established a form of detention called arraigo. Presented as a tool against organized crime, arraigo authorizes the detention of a person for up to 80 days without charges being brought against them. During the period of arraigo, authorities can seek grounds to charge the person with a crime, so this form of detention is informally known as “detaining to investigate.”

If charges are going to be laid against him, hopefully it will happen soon. According this this article, the Mexican constitution has come under criticism for its law which allows detention up to 80 days without charges being laid while an investigation is taking place.

“Since 2008, Article 16 of the Mexican Constitution has established a form of detention called arraigo. Presented as a tool against organized crime, arraigo authorizes the detention of a person for up to 80 days without charges being brought against them. During the period of arraigo, authorities can seek grounds to charge the person with a crime, so this form of detention is informally known as “detaining to investigate.”
Yes, it's a completely different legal system, adopted from Spain rather than England.

However, part of the problem is I don't think there's any media sources who are following the legal process in this case. Probably the Canadian consulate is.

I'm not sure why he's still in jail. Practically, it could be he has no money or ties to stay in PdC, so is too great a flight risk. He could just get on the next bus out of town and disappear.

JMO

“The mother of Dawson Creek resident Kiara Agnew said seeing the evidence and autopsy of her daughter’s death made her feel enraged.

Michele Agnew said she spent 5 days in Mexico with her lawyers, reviewing evidence.

She said, “The anger that I feel now, scares me a lot.”…….

……..Under Mexican Law, both Michele and her daughter Tiana are considered victims in the case. She was required to attend court in person to submit evidence for the trial before June 10th.

Michele’s lawyers said the evidence showed a struggle and revealed that Kiara fought hard to save her own life…

…….Michele said she’s determined to see a guilty verdict and get justice for her daughter.

She said people need to know that, “The trial can take up to two years and we’re not giving up and we’re still working on it.” …..”

A little bit more information -

Kiara’s family said Mexican prosecutors told them via WhatsApp that the suspect’s injuries did not correspond to those on the victim.

“Also, it was said that because of the brutality of her body and what she went through in her last moments that they determined that it was more than one person that did this to her,” Tiana told Global News.

According to the WhatsApp chat, the prosecution contact told Michele the judge considered that Kiara’s death was carried out by two or more people, because she was badly beaten, “And (the suspect) has no serious injuries. And in the genetics test, the genetic profiles of several people appear, including (the suspect’s).”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop
Back