Mexico - Steven Slater, famous JetBlue FA that blew slide, ran off with beers, Tijuana, 4 Aug 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

HeartIKnowByHeart

Reaction score
Stephen Slater, famous jetBlue FA that blew slide, ran off with beers, missing in Tiajuana, Mexico (08/08/19)

Hello everyone. I am one of Stephen Slater's personal friends from the aviation industry. Slater you may recall made headlines in 2010 when he got on the public address system after a Pittsburgh-New York (JFK) flight, said his peace to the passengers, grabbed a few beers, and blew a slide. He was of course eventually caught up with and arrested did probation and paid restitution, and was listed in many top 10 people of the year lists.

Here's what I can tell you:

-- He was working at Seaworld and Chipotle, and had recently -- meaning last week -- moved to San Ysidro just over the border to cut down on costs as San Diego and all of coastal California are very expensive.

-- Stephen was not driving to the US but was using Ubers and the San Diego trolly to get to work recently. He had lamented after the shootings in El Paso that his driver didn't understand what was wrong with Americans and their tolerance for mass shootings; Stephen would not have been taken hostage for his political beliefs as he was very open minded and kind to his Mexican and Mexican-American brothers and sisters.

-- on Sunday night he was returning from work and left as his Facebook status a picture of the border crossing, a picture he took because of how busy it was. He said he might go to "Avienda Revolucion", which I presume is some some historic street or place where there's nightlife. He left no other detail since, and he is usually very prolific with prolix on Facebook.

--Stephen has struggled so much in his life, especially with addiction. It was normal for him to go missing for days at a time on a bender, but at least one person knew where he was and, importantly, his Facebook messenger said he was online at various times and his phone rang to voice mail. He was just about to celebrate his one year of sobriety (from methamphetamines, which are pretty potent in Southern California where he had been living recently). It has been my experience that when he goes on a bender, he goes quiet like this, but before he goes quiet, importantly, his prolix is much more identifiable as meth-induced as there are usually run on sentences and no ends to paragraphs. He is always longwinded but has an editor's to his language when he's sober, and there are paragraphs and easily-noticed agreement. Right now there's been no posts since Sunday night's.

--His phone was ringing through Monday and Tuesday at least, and with an international ring tone, indicating his phone at least had not slipped back into the US since then (with him attached to it). Additionally. his Facebook messenger had been showing he had been online -- or whoever has his phone if it's not him that was checking the app. It's similar to the story of my friend Dustin who went missing in 2017 and who was ultimately found safe in a hospital because he had been feeling suicidal. It gives me hope now that we are more than 48 hours past the 48 mark, which we all know is the ultimate clock in a missing person's recovery. It's the one thing that gives me hope.

-- on the matter of checking hospitals and jails, so far nothing in the region. I do know that in the US at least because of HIPPA laws, they won't just tell you that someone is there -- you have to ask specific questions about confirming or denying someone's presence. It did not appear that they knew that yet. However, the FBI, Border Patrol, San Diego and Tiajuana police and other authorities are working on the missing person's report -- and are apparently very helpful, which is compared to my experience with Denver PD when my two friends went missing.

-- I think it's important to know that, like my friends that went missing -- one found alive, the other dead unfortunately) in Denver, Stephen in gay. If the Avienda Revolucion has gay clubs or bars there, that must have been what he meant his plans to go to them were. Irrespective of his patterns of drug use and the probability that such drugs would readily be available in places like that, it's really important to know that Stephen had been stumbling over and over and over and over again for years and people were starting to give up hope. He is/was within inches of one year sober and was really committed to his sobriety, so the likelihood he was intentionally looking to relapse I think are low. There was nothing in his demeanor or decorum lately to indicate a sudden shift in character as is usual for addicts before they relapse. I know because I am one myself. I would hope people honor this missing person's report and his large group of friends in the aviation industry that are so so so scared for our delightfully peculiar friend, and not shrug off their shoulders because he's gay. If you know something about this area of Tiajuana or know anything at, I am attaching a missing person's report with contacts if you can help.

-- At this juncture the San Diego News turned down our request to run a segment. We believe press is important. I am not one to stir pots, but in this historic moment, I feel that conservative media and the chance to jump on an American-goes-missing-in-Mexico is our best shot and will be reaching out to Breitbart.com, DrudgeReport.com, FoxNews, and others, even though theirs is far from my ideology as I a journalism major myself who eschews that sort of rabid sensationalist slant. Besides, he's already got an aura of fame to him so I don't see why news channels aren't jumping on it.

If you have any helpful thinking of resources or know anything yourself, please contact myself here or at milehighleadingedge@gmail.com. Or, preferably, go straight to the phone numbers indicated on the missing person's report, as I am merely a sentry anyway who will relay the information to the person I know working on Stephen's behalf who is the one running the search for him since his parents are deceased and he is not in communication with his own son after a dispute over money years ago. His friends are his only family. On behalf of Stephen Slater's family, we thank the Websleuths community for assisting us in this search.

Yours,

HeartIKnowByHeart

Steven Slater, JetBlue Flight Attendant Who Famously Jumped Down Plane's Emergency Slide, Reported Missing

Attachments

• IMG_5066.JPG
    IMG_5066.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
The poster says he was going to visit The Monumental Arch, yet you say it was Avienda Revolucion? Hoping Stephen is found.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend Stephen and clearly he is loved.

I see the missing report was made to Chula Vista PD. If Stephen lived in San Ysidro that would fall under the City of San Diego and not Chula Vista. I would file the missing person report in the City of San Diego and the zip code there is 92154. This may explain why it is stated:

"It is unclear why the person who was reporting Slater missing decided to contact Chula Vista because Slater had no connection to the town."

Steven Slater, JetBlue Flight Attendant Who Famously Jumped Down Plane's Emergency Slide, Reported Missing

It's also worth noting that from the community of San Ysidro to Avienda Revolucion, Tijuana you only need to cross over a pedestrian bridge all depending how close he lived to that point. Once you enter that area there are hundreds of establishments to frequent. I would also try to contact the U.S. Embassy at the link below regarding missing persons in TJ.

Emergency Services | U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Mexico

I hope Stephen is safe and just laying low for now. Should you need the San Diego new media list, I would be happy to help.

Prayers for Stephen....

According to this LA Times article which references a FlyerTalk article of an interview with Steven, he isn't (wasn't) missing. :):confused:

Escapes: Honestly, is there anything grander than this?

Do you remember Steven Slater, the Jet Blue flight attendant who’d had enough and quit, punctuating his resignation by whistling down the emergency exit slide? It was the talk of the trade in 2010, but the Slater uproar eventually faded away, as do most news nuggets. FlyerTalk caught up with him after it was reported he had disappeared in Mexico (he hadn’t) and catches up a bit on his life and his philosophy in this age of flying.

FlyerTalk With Steven Slater: “Reports of My Death Are Greatly Exaggerated”

Earlier this month, FlyerTalk published a Throwback Thursday post titled The Most Epic Rage Quit in Airline History (and Its Dark Ending) about Steven Slater, the JetBlue flight attendant who became a folk hero when he quit his job as a flight attendant via the plane’s emergency exit slide. But, as it turns out, Steven Slater’s story wasn’t dark at all. While TMZ reported that Slater went missing in Mexico, Steven Slater popped into the comments section on FlyerTalk’s article to let everyone know that he’s alive and well. And, because the world’s most popular frequent flier community was eager for an update, he agreed to talk with us about life after JetBlue. Here’s what JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater had to say:

HE NEVER DISAPPEARED IN MEXICO
“As Mark Twain famously quipped, ‘The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated,'” joked Steven Slater when I reached out for an e-mail interview. “Back from the grave, and just in time for Halloween!” The first thing Steven Slater wanted to clear up is that he never disappeared in Mexico. In fact, he lives there and splits his time between Mexico and San Diego. He did, however, give his friends and family quite a scare when he was robbed while crossing the border one night:
#
More in the articles.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mustanglawton