GUILTY MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* *teen guilty* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Related query

In that Todd Flood clip above ( my post) he says that if JC gets over 10 years she'll need to go through the Parole Board to get out.
Doesn't that mean that, as part of the parole process, she'd have to accept and show remorse?
( Or, in reality, is it easy to fake acceptance of guilt and remorse?)
It's going to be really hard for her to show remorse. I'm assuming she'll do 20 yrs. with time served, so 18. So she'll get out close to 65 at best?

I think it's very hard to fake acceptance of guilt. I think she'll get out an old woman. MOO

Interesting. James knew the gun was missing because he came home and it wasn't in the case. Therefore to me that means he knew exactly where that case was and it wasn't in the car.
Which could very well mean that James never even asked JC where she put the gun/case in the house when she returned from the shooting range.
Knowing James from what JC said about him that wouldn't be surprising and when he did go home to check on the gun it wasn't where he had put it before being removed by either JC or EC for the mother and son bonding day at the shooting range.

Jury foreperson again

reporter asks: ' did jurors have to convince each other to come to this verdict?'
Jury foreperson replies: ' Both sides were well represented'

suggesting that they started out with lots of G and NG opinions

Mr Shilling also says that he was paying close attention to JC on the stand and her comments were like ' a slap in the face'

I think that some of these local atty commentaries are better than the usual talking heads we see on TV - they know the place, state law, local juries etc
He mentions how the sentence is calculated but I'd made so many notes, I didn't add that part
And pertaining to the jurors they come from a very pro-gun culture area.

I'm embedded in another trial but have watched a lot of the trial of this mother, too. I support the DA in pursuing charges in this case. I agree with the jury's decision. It is high time we hold parents responsible for their offspring's irresponsible and deadly behavior.

When I saw the nasty wooden floor leading into the kitchen, I gagged and thought I'd lose my lunch. She spent $20,000 on horses in one year but ignored the emotional and physical needs of her child. She neglected to care for her child and their home. His parents are at fault for ignoring his pleas for help. Ethan was neglected and abused.

I hope this verdict offers Ethan some solace in that we, the world, know his parents could have and should have done better when raising him.

JMHOO

Almost wish she hadn’t said anything. She said ‘the thing that really hammered it home was that she was the last person with the gun.’ And then she skedaddled. JC was holding the gun at the shooting range when they were leaving after their target practice. She said she left the gun in the car for James to put away when he got home. Does the jury think that’s where EC picked it up from the day of the shooting and took it to school? It was in the car the whole time? Hmmmm….makes sense!
I am a little confused. Is she saying that because of when JC said she took the gun away from Ethan the previous night?

Jury foreperson again

reporter asks: ' did jurors have to convince each other to come to this verdict?'

Mr Shilling also says that he was paying close attention to JC on the stand and her comments were like ' a slap in the face'
It's good that both sides were represented.
It shows that in the end the NG ones had enough evidence presented to them to come to a guilty verdict.
That doesn't show that there were just one or two NG ones who eventually caved from pressure.

Jury foreperson again

I am surprised as to the foreperson's youth, and Michigan tends to be a liberal-leaning state.
I agree that some of the comments by JC were a slap in the face.

I can see the older people going along with the younger jurors. I see this all the time in my own family. The older peeps don't even bother sparring, it's a losing battle. Besides, the older folk's kids are grown. Generations used to be able to agree to disagree. That's harder these days.

I'm embedded in another trial but have watched a lot of the trial of this mother, too. I support the DA in pursuing charges in this case. I agree with the jury's decision. It is high time we hold parents responsible for their offspring's irresponsible and deadly behavior.

When I saw the nasty wooden floor leading into the kitchen, I gagged and thought I'd lose my lunch. She spent $20,000 on horses in one year but ignored the emotional and physical needs of her child. She neglected to care for her child and their home. His parents are at fault for ignoring his pleas for help. Ethan was neglected and abused.

I hope this verdict offers Ethan some solace in that we, the world, know his parents could have and should have done better when raising him.

JMHOO
While spending $20,000 a year on her 2 horses, not including cash purchases for them, according to Keast,she was behind $11,000 on their mortgage payments.

Does anyone think this verdict will decrease the frequency of school shootings in the US?

In my household we have one vote “yes” and one vote “no”. Interested in what the posters here think?

I am surprised as to the foreperson's youth, and Michigan tends to be a liberal-leaning state.
I agree that some of the comments by JC were a slap in the face.

I can see the older people going along with the younger jurors. I see this all the time in my own family. The older peeps don't even bother sparring, it's a losing battle. Besides, the older folk's kids are grown. Generations used to be able to agree to disagree. That's harder these days.
To me it could show that the younger people and especially those with school age children are paying much more attention to how the internet and social media can have devastating effects on children while also paying closer attention to school shootings and the shooters.

Does anyone think this verdict will decrease the frequency of school shootings?
In my household we have one vote “yes” and one vote “no”. Interested in what the posters here think?
No. As long as there is access to firearms there will be school shootings. JC was delusional...."I'm a helicopter parent" yet she has no clue what her kid is doing or what is going on in his head. That's the problem, she never saw herself for what she is.

I am a little confused. Is she saying that because of when JC said she took the gun away from Ethan the previous night?
I’m not sure. It sounded to me like they think she left the gun in the car and that’s how EC got to it. JC admitted to leaving the gun in the car. But I’m extrapolating. It was a crumb - hard to know what she meant.

Does anyone think this verdict will decrease the frequency of school shootings in the US?

Obviously, it will not stop all the shootings. But, hopefully parents having in the back of their minds that their child, who they recognize as disturbed, could do something like this and at the very least, be more diligent about finding and getting help for them. I almost feel like mental health concerns will have the bigger impact than simply making sure that their child has no access to guns. Most mass shooters get the guns from home, though, so maybe more effort will be put into making sure their kids cannot find and/or open the lockbox.

The Crumbley's brushed off so many warning signs. If this makes some parents think twice about how seriously to take their children being into dark things and gore, then that's a win and could prevent at least some mass shootings.

To me it could show that the younger people and especially those with school age children are paying much more attention to how the internet and social media can have devastating effects on children while also paying closer attention to school shootings and the shooters.
Agree, also got to get some regulation on the tech-bros.

No child should be able to access sites like ' Live Gore' so that vulnerable or young kids can end up like EC, spending hundreds of hours a month viewing sites like that. Parental control software also needs to be promoted so parents feel more empowered that they have the right to use it whether kids like it or not

( The material in EC's journal - which didn't come into trial - was beyond disturbing even to me as an adult. I had to skip a lot of it)

Last edited:

I hope so and you have to have hope.
If you lose all hope - on any difficult subject - you lose motivation to make change. imo

However, it would be hard to know whether it had any effect because the near misses, the prevented deaths wouldn't make the stats or the news.

Apart from the school shooter situation - which is still rare, even just the verdict being on so many news channels might , for example, make an embattled single parent feel more able to ' lay down the law' with their teens. Most parents want help & support, they are not like the Crumbleys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper