MI - Chong Moua Yang, 68, hunter, fatally shot on public land, Bath Township, 16 Nov 2018 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Chong Moua Yang, 68, appeared to have been fatally shot the evening of Nov. 16 while hunting on public land in Bath Township.

Chong Yang's death remains under investigation by police.

Police found Chong Yang's body along the 8500 block of East Clark Road, near Upton Road, shortly after 10 p.m. Nov. 16. The property is owned by the State of Michigan and authorized for hunting.

Chong Yang was wearing hunter's orange-colored clothing at the time he was shot. Chong Yang had 28 years of hunting experience and usually hunted alone.

Some of Chong Yang's personal items appeared to have been taken from the area where his body was found.

Funeral for deer hunter who was fatally shot on public land to be held over multiple days

Hunter shot missing gun and backpack

Hunter%20Shot%20Reward_1543601823151.jpg_63681914_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

a35fce88-bfdf-4419-be58-9cb8fda0acf0-yang.jpg

Damn. This happened about 2 miles from my maternal grandparents' farm (they passed in the '80s and it's no longer in the family though it was a Centennial Farm in my family) where I spent a lot of time in the woods myself.

I'm very concerned this happened in the limited firearm zone ( https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf ) so hunters shouldn't have rifles. This makes an accidental shooting less likely IMO due to the shorter distance the ammo from these permitted weapons travel.

Leaving him in the woods and the theft are absolutely inexcusable, and incredibly sad. RIP.

December 2, 2018
Police call on hunters for help in murder of father of 9

Michigan police investigating last month’s shooting death of an avid hunter and father of 9 are urging other hunters who may know something to contact them.

Chong Yang, 68, was hunting deer on public property in Clinton County, northwest of Lansing, when he was killed Nov. 16. He was wearing hunter’s orange clothing at the time for safety.

“We want to get the word out as much as we can,” Bath Township Police said in a Facebook post Friday. “Someone out there knows something and we urge that person or anyone else with information to come forward so we can bring some closure to the family.”

[...]

Please share! We want to get the word out as much as we can. Someone out there knows something and we urge that person or anyone else with information to come forward so we can bring some closure to the family.

Bath Township Police Detective Miller - 517-641-6271
Crime Stoppers - 517-483-7867

46936995_2015057731911789_6245557814811426816_n.jpg

Bath Township Police Department | Posted 11/30/2018 8:00am (EST)

While police called the death suspicious, it's still being treated as a hunting accident for now. Police also want to talk with any hunters who were near the Rose Lake game area on Friday night.

Police: Gun, backpack missing after hunter fatally shot

Yang's funeral and a celebration of his life will be held Dec. 15-17 at Chisholm Hills Golf Club, 2395 Washington Road, in Lansing. A burial is expected Dec. 17 at Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens in Lansing,

Police: Firearm, backpack taken after hunter fatally shot in Bath Twp.

1dd6b047-a69b-42bb-905a-e37ffeec7e22-sign2.jpg

This is just awful. It's also extremely disconcerting for all the hunters out there.

My family have always been big deer hunters both men and women.

This is the very reason none hunt on public land. It's just too risky and dangerous because no one knows who the other hunters are.

Unknown hunters may be drinking alcohol or using drugs and those things dont mix when hunting. Safety is always the top priority.

And of course because the hunters on public land can also be reckless while hunting or ther could be bad people pretending they are hunting for wild game and instead may be hunting humans so they can shoot them when no one is around and rob them of their possessions.

My family is blessed to be able to hunt on 240 acres of land owned by our family. We have found a couple of hunters hunting illegally on the property even though its fenced with no trespassing signs. They were reported to police.

This is a heartbreaking tragedy. Its gut wrenching to know anyone could be this cold and unfeeling. Robbery seems to be the motive since his hunting weapon and backpack were taken. So damn senseless.

Imo

My family have always been big deer hunters both men and women.

This is the very reason none hunt on public land. It's just too risky and dangerous because no one knows who the other hunters are.

Unknown hunters may be drinking alcohol or using drugs and those things dont mix when hunting. Safety is always the top priority.

And of course because the hunters on public land can also be reckless while hunting or ther could be bad people pretending they are hunting for wild game and instead may be hunting humans so they can shoot them when no one is around and rob them of their possessions.

My family is blessed to be able to hunt on 240 acres of land owned by our family. We have found a couple of hunters hunting illegally on the property even though its fenced with no trespassing signs. They were reported to police.

This is a heartbreaking tragedy. Its gut wrenching to know anyone could be this cold and unfeeling. Robbery seems to be the motive since his hunting weapon and backpack were taken. So damn senseless.

Imo
I share your blessings. Hubs and I don't hunt at present, but we have acreage that's hunted by neighbors. I've tried to be very selective as to who has permission, though I know at least one neighbor has friends go with him at times. We do get gifted with some venison from time to time :)
I really despise those who either hunt without knowing what they're doing, or those who trespass and don't follow the rules- especially those who murder, and this poor man's death doesn't sound too accidental. If it was accidental, it certainly turned into a crime by whoever did it and stole his things.

I share your blessings. Hubs and I don't hunt at present, but we have acreage that's hunted by neighbors. I've tried to be very selective as to who has permission, though I know at least one neighbor has friends go with him at times. We do get gifted with some venison from time to time :)
I really despise those who either hunt without knowing what they're doing, or those who trespass and don't follow the rules- especially those who murder, and this poor man's death doesn't sound too accidental. If it was accidental, it certainly turned into a crime by whoever did it and stole his things.

Sounds wonderful and venison is rated the healthiest meat to eat by the AHA. We all love it.

We have always had a firm rule when anyone goes hunting.

We take each one of them to their deer stands. We make sure they are secure in the stands before leaving.

Everyone is to stay in their stands and not come down until one of us picks them back up.

It is dangerous for everyone when trespassers come on private property to hunt illegally. They have no clue where our hunters are and we have no clue they are there or where.

It sure doesn't sound accidental to me either. If it was they would immediately seek help. They sure wouldn't steal this man's gun and backpack imo.

Imo

While this man was not so fortunate to have his own land to hunt on, he still didn't deserve this. And really, it could have happened anywhere, accidentally or purposefully.

May his family find the clarity they seek and the peace of mind to go on.

I can't help but wonder if this might have been 2 separate incidents, meaning the shooting was accidental and another person stumbled upon the scene and chose to rob a dead man. That would be a horrible thing to do but some people are just evil. I wonder who found him...jmo

While this man was not so fortunate to have his own land to hunt on, he still didn't deserve this. And really, it could have happened anywhere, accidentally or purposefully.

May his family find the clarity they seek and the peace of mind to go on.
It certainly could have, and has. I remember an awful instance during last year's hunting season where a woman, walking on her own property, was accidentally shot and killed by a young man. I believe he was out shooting beyond the legal hours and it was just past dusk. Rule number 1 is to never, ever take a shot unless you are 100% certain of your target.

I've been thinking about Mr. Yang, during this current hunting season. It's so sad that there's been no news. I hope his family and LE can catch a break, for justice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon
Back