MI MI - Cindy Moore, 28, Troy, 23 May 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I sent an e-mail to Lori Bruski with NamUs, as hers was the only e-mail listed with either case. Not sure what else to do on the holiday. I got a robo-reply stating that her office was closed through January 1.

If Cindy were an automatic rule-out, wouldn't she be listed on the unidentified Jane Doe's page as having been eliminated?
Unfortunately, not all rule outs are listed, that's why it's always good to check.

I agree. It's a shame that it didn't get more press coverage when she first disappeared. It was a different era, though. I suspect that there were many disappearances back in the 80s (and before) that were never reported in the papers at all.

She did have siblings and a son, so it should be possible to get family DNA into the system to check Jane Does.

Her DNA is already submitted.

I sort of wish they would ask the public for help. Someone involved in Cindy's disappearance might have blabbed at some point, and news coverage might bring a reluctant witness out of the woodwork.

I have always wondered about how Cindy's car ended up at the Abbey Theater. It would have been difficult (though not necessarily impossible) for her abductor to have gotten it there without help unless Cindy had been abducted close to that location. I do not think it likely that she was abducted there, so I think there's a good chance that her abductor had help, at least after the fact.

New to this case.

Ozoner, if you don't mind me asking, the sentence I bolded - what makes you think that it would have been difficult for an abductor to get the car to the theater without help?

The Jane Doe mentioned earlier looks promising. Fingers crossed!

Do investigators know for certain that Cindy's car wasn't parked at the theater the whole time, from when her coworker last saw her until it was discovered?

New to this case.

Ozoner, if you don't mind me asking, the sentence I bolded - what makes you think that it would have been difficult for an abductor to get the car to the theater without help?

The Jane Doe mentioned earlier looks promising. Fingers crossed!
While I tend to think it most likely that Cindy drove to the movie theater, parked her car, and was then abducted--her car remaining in place until it was discovered--I do think that there are multiple, reasonable scenarios where her abductor could have taken her car to that theater parking lot after abducting her. This was not a remote location; the theater was right off of I-75, across the street from a shopping mall, and north of a couple of apartment/condo complexes as well as restaraunts and at least one motel.

Adding to what Hank posted, it was Memorial Day weekend, and it was a rainy weekend. Lots of people at the movies. (new James Bond movie - View to A Kill and, IIRC, Rambo also making it a BIG movie weekend).

I would like to know where her car was in the lot, if it was at the south end she could have been meeting someone at the Dolly Madison Apartment tower. However, I think the simplest explanation is the most likely, she was meeting her soon to be ex husband there so she could pick up her toddler son, they argued and it ended badly.

Adding to what Hank posted, it was Memorial Day weekend, and it was a rainy weekend. Lots of people at the movies. (new James Bond movie - View to A Kill and, IIRC, Rambo also making it a BIG movie weekend).

I would like to know where her car was in the lot, if it was at the south end she could have been meeting someone at the Dolly Madison Apartment tower. However, I think the simplest explanation is the most likely, she was meeting her soon to be ex husband there so she could pick up her toddler son, they argued and it ended badly.

New to this thread.
Just wanted to say that it's usually the case although we'd need the burden of proof.

I agree 100% most people who commit a crime cannot keep quiet, they love to brag about it. It seems like people keep it a secret until they see the news or someone asking for help. If anyone knows how to ask the cold case dept to focus on this case I have no problem going to the station and asking?

New to this thread.
Just wanted to say that it's usually the case although we'd need the burden of proof.

I know at the time there was a lot of speculation about the soon-to-be-ex. Unfortunately, I don't think the police ever shared much evidence with the press; maybe they didn't have much. Back then they didn't collect the kind of forensic evidence that they do today. It didn't sound like a hand-off of the child in that location would have been the routine because Cindy was supposed to pick up the boy at the soon-to-be-ex's house.

Ozoner, I've been thinking a lot about Cindy's case, she disappeared 32 years ago this month.

Ozoner, I've been thinking a lot about Cindy's case, she disappeared 32 years ago this month.
One of Cindy's co-workers was married to a P.I. whose last name was Spinelli (although I'm not positive about the spelling). He apparently looked into the case a bit. If he is still alive and can be located, he might have more information.

By the way, I wanted to point out that Cindy worked at the USPS Processing and Distribution Center at 2351 Bellingham in Troy. That location is near Maple and John R, a few miles away from the rear Troy Post Office.

That location is near Maple and John R, a few miles away from the rear* Troy Post Office.
That word was supposed to be regular, not rear, but it's too late for me to edit that post.

That the husband's backyard was dug up leads me to believe that LE had strong evidence against him but of course couldn't pursue the case without a body or some hard evidence. I would assume they searched his home (if they searched the yard) and either didn't find anything unusual, or did but can't release those details. There's so much darn red tape.

Do we have any sources that state they indeed dug up the husband's yard? Because if they DIDN'T that brings me to even more questions.

I also think that, totally MOO, her vehicle was very purposefully relocated to a busy spot so it would blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we have any sources that state they indeed dug up the husband's yard?
I received that information from someone who would easily qualify as a verified insider if he were still alive. As far as I know, that detail was not reported in the papers. (There was very little media coverage of this case.)

I received that information from someone who would easily qualify as a verified insider if he were still alive. As far as I know, that detail was not reported in the papers. (There was very little media coverage of this case.)

That definitely makes me think that LE found enough evidence or were given a tip that prompted that dig then. I'm sure they have pieces to the puzzle but not enough to put the whole thing together. I wonder why then, they haven't put a lot of coverage or calls to the public out. Someone KNOWS what happened it's just getting the right person to speak. Do we know if the husband is still alive?

That definitely makes me think that LE found enough evidence or were given a tip that prompted that dig then. I'm sure they have pieces to the puzzle but not enough to put the whole thing together. I wonder why then, they haven't put a lot of coverage or calls to the public out. Someone KNOWS what happened it's just getting the right person to speak. Do we know if the husband is still alive?

He is still alive. Would a history of domestic violence have been enough to get a warrant to dig back in the '80s when combined with a clear motive like a pending custody dispute? (I suppose it's possible that the husband gave the police permission to dig, in which case they wouldn't have needed a warrant.)

He is still alive. Would a history of domestic violence have been enough to get a warrant to dig back in the '80s when combined with a clear motive like a pending custody dispute? (I suppose it's possible that the husband gave the police permission to dig, in which case they wouldn't have needed a warrant.)

That's a good question and I'm not an expert but I feel like they would've needed more than circumstantial evidence. Makes me think they found something more sinister, but that's just my opinion. You're right, he could have given them permission, thinking it would clear his name. The stuff about these kinds of cases that's so frustrating is it's wise to look at a missing person's closest family and friends first but once in a while these things happen totally randomly. IF that were the case here, it would be nice to have more information on if Cindy had made any new friends recently. Where was she working again? This is a case that needs the people who knew her during that time to put their heads together (they probably have, at different points) and try to see if any of their pieces fit together.

That's a good question and I'm not an expert but I feel like they would've needed more than circumstantial evidence. Makes me think they found something more sinister, but that's just my opinion. You're right, he could have given them permission, thinking it would clear his name. The stuff about these kinds of cases that's so frustrating is it's wise to look at a missing person's closest family and friends first but once in a while these things happen totally randomly. IF that were the case here, it would be nice to have more information on if Cindy had made any new friends recently. Where was she working again? This is a case that needs the people who knew her during that time to put their heads together (they probably have, at different points) and try to see if any of their pieces fit together.
BBM
The United States Postal Service (USPS) Processing and Distribution Center, previously called the Sectional Center, was located at 2351 Bellingham in Troy, MI. It was a much larger facility than a typical post office. It was where mail that was collected from many of the surrounding communities was brought to be sorted and sent to local post offices or, for mail going out of town, to other processing and distribution centers. Mail from out of town that was headed to local post offices also would have gone to that facility. It operated day and night, but most of they employees worked at night, through the early-morning hours. If Cindy was getting off work around 11:00 PM, then her shift would have been one of the earlier ones.

Was thinking about Cindy again this morning. The weekend she disappeared was a rainy memorial day weekend. All the rain this week....

Where are you Cindy?

Was thinking about Cindy again this morning. The weekend she disappeared was a rainy memorial day weekend. All the rain this week....

Where are you Cindy?
I kind of wonder what happened to her car--whether it was put into storage, scrapped, or sold. On the odd chance that it's still around, it could yield some forensic evidence that 80's techniques couldn't find.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back