Identified! MI - Coopersville, "Matilda", Wht/Hisp/NativFem 35-45, UP9900, Nov'94 - Shelly Rae Kephart (Christian)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If any of you come across the name of the tentatively identified person, please remember to not share it. I can't imagine how her family is feeling right now :(
She was officially reported missing. The only reason police did not identify her earlier, was that she was from Minnesota and had been last seen there and police suspected it was a local Michigan crime, they found another eleven victims in the same area and they all were locals.
Yes, difficult to imagine what her mother is feeling now :(

But do we know if they had identified her killer? In some sources, they give a name and in others it seems as if he was not identified.

Not sure, I haven't seen a killer's name, just her (tentative) name.

Not sure, I haven't seen a killer's name, just her (tentative) name.
There is an article from a Radford University which says that the police suspected Larry DeWayne Hall of her murder.

http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Hall, Larry DeWayne.pdf

From Unidentified wiki
"A Radford University article has stated serial killer Larry DeWayne Hall is a suspect in her case, even though she was found after his arrest for the kidnapping and murder of Jessica Roach. It is not clear if Hall is a suspect in the other murders that are believed to be connected."

There is an article from a Radford University which says that the police suspected Larry DeWayne Hall of her murder.

http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Hall, Larry DeWayne.pdf

From Unidentified wiki
"A Radford University article has stated serial killer Larry DeWayne Hall is a suspect in her case, even though she was found after his arrest for the kidnapping and murder of Jessica Roach. It is not clear if Hall is a suspect in the other murders that are believed to be connected."
Hall is from Wabash, IN. That's not too far from Coopersville. But tying him to all these other alleged victims seems quite a stretch, everywhere from Alabama to MO ("Springfield Three"). The MO connection is alleged apparently only because he drove a van.

Her identity was confirmed and now we can say she was Shelly Rae Kephart, also known as Shelly Rae Christian.

https://www.fox17online.com/news/lo...riffs-office-1994-cold-case-victim-identified
The 29-year-old went missing from Minnesota in 1993.

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office says DNA samples taken from Kephart’s family were compared to the DNA profile obtained from the 1994 homicide victim known as Matilda.

Matilda was positively identified as Shelly Rae Kephart.

The sheriff’s office says they remain hopeful that the identification of Kephart will provide closure for the family and offer investigative direction for cold case detectives.

The "Matilda" cold case is Ottawa County's third-oldest unsolved cold case.
Christian.
d7e5026a-d8b7-47f6-9a4d-5f2c4077518c-matilda_cold_case.jpeg

Ottawa County Sheriff's Office Capt. Jake Sparks said Christian's mother is still alive, as are Christian's children.

"Although as investigators it's exciting to have such a breakthrough, we want to acknowledge it's also a sad time for the family," Sparks told The Sentinel.

DNA samples taken from the family of Christian were compared to the sample from the victim. Earlier this week, the FBI Crime Laboratory confirmed a kinship association with the family in Minnesota and the victim. Ottawa County's medical examiner Stephen Cohle, who performed the original autopsy on "Matilda" back in 1994, positively identified her remains as those of Christian.
Ottawa County Jane Doe, found in 1994, identified as Minnesota woman

Shelly Rae Christian
  • christian_shelly.jpg
  • christian_shelly2.jpg
Shelly Rae Christian – The Charley Project

Christian was the victim of a homicide. Anyone with information is urged to call (877) 887-4536.

“Until you know whose death you’re investigating, it’s very, very difficult to do an investigation,” Sparks said. “Maybe we have someone who steps forward and says, ‘Yes, I knew her,’ an old roommate or coworker who can provide some answers, and we can try to drill down into it and figure out who was in her life at the time.”
Remains Found In Michigan Identified As Woman Who Went Missing From Minnesota In 1993

I do not live the USA, can someone tell me the distance between where Shelly was reported missing from and where her body was found please?

About 600 miles, or 970 km by road. It's a very long way away; one has to travel through eastern Minnesota and into Wisconsin, and around Lake Michigan through Illinois and Indiana into the state of Michigan.

I strongly doubt she was murdered by the serial killer mentioned in this thread. It sounds more as if she was dumped there randomly by someone else.

Her poor mom.

About 600 miles, or 970 km by road. It's a very long way away; one has to travel through eastern Minnesota and into Wisconsin, and around Lake Michigan through Illinois and Indiana into the state of Michigan.

I strongly doubt she was murdered by the serial killer mentioned in this thread. It sounds more as if she was dumped there randomly by someone else.

Her poor mom.

Shelly's case has always been one I had hoped would be solved by DNA and I so glad she has her real name back. While saddened that her children grow up without her, now they know she did not deliberately drop out of their lives and I hope that gives them some comfort.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back