Identified! MI - Covert Township, WhtFem 730UFMI, 23-40, Near I-96, Oct'88 - Marcia Bateman

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@imstilla.grandma read all your posts and thank you very much for your insight. I'm so sorry for yours and your family's losses.

Thank you too for sharing about Oklahoma and the weather there in 1988. When they hold the news conference, we'll learn more about what was going on in Bateman's life, but bad weather may have definitely influenced her decision to leave.

“She had no ties to Michigan,” Ernstes tells WSJM News. “We’re trying to determine how she made it to Michigan, a significant 15-hour drive to where she was found.”

Bateman was reported missing by family in August 1988, three months after she was last seen. Ernstes says she may have visited her mother or other relatives.

“Her mother was living in Dallas and she had other family living in Los Angeles. So after she left her apartment in Oklahoma City, there was talk she may have visited her mother or other family members, and we’re still tracking down some of that information,” said Ernstes, adding Bateman’s mother has since died. All the woman has left for living relatives are aunts and cousins, none of whom were close with her.

Michigan State Police are asking anyone who was friends with Bateman to call or email them. Ernstes says it doesn’t matter how insignificant someone thinks their information might be, as it could lead them to the answers about her death

Identification Of I-196 Jane Leads To More Questions About Oklahoma Woman

The press conference did not reveal much more than we already know which is quite disappointing :(

There is a Marcia K Bateman who got married in Dallas, Texas on 15 Jan 1985: FamilySearch

She is the right age/DOB. I went down a rabbit hole researching the husband but I can't figure out if this is her or another Marcia Bateman. Her name is very common but her mom living in Dallas makes me think this record is likely her. Anyone else care to research this and/or send in a tip if you think it's her marriage record?

MOO.

There is a Marcia K Bateman who got married in Dallas, Texas on 15 Jan 1985: FamilySearch

She is the right age/DOB. I went down a rabbit hole researching the husband but I can't figure out if this is her or another Marcia Bateman. Her name is very common but her mom living in Dallas makes me think this record is likely her. Anyone else care to research this and/or send in a tip if you think it's her marriage record?

MOO.

Worth a shot IMO. She did go by ''Marcia K'' according to yesterday's presser and her closest known surviving relatives are an aunt and various cousins who didn't know her much. They haven't said anything on the theory that she was a mother.

MOO.

It couldn’t be her, as Marcia wasn’t married.

It disappoints me to know LE hasn’t released much and they have little information to bring people forward. I don’t think the covert campsite would be much help, as it appears where she was found was a dumping site.

It disappoints me to know LE hasn’t released much and they have little information to bring people forward. I don’t think the covert campsite would be much help, as it appears where she was found was a dumping site.
Yeah, I agree. I’m sure they’re doing their best but it is disappointing. I don’t think her living aunt/cousins could give much insight as they were not close. Maybe someone will come forward to talk about her life, like Mary Silvani’s old friend did.

From the information I’ve gathered, here’s what happened:

Marcia Kaylynn Bateman was born in 1959/1960 and was last seen in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in May - August 1988. She had no ties to Michigan or the surrounding states and she would be in Dallas, Los Angeles, or Oklahoma City. She likely had Mental Health issues and lived alone in an apartment with a semi-transient lifestyle.

Hello everyone, I joined this forum to discuss Marcia's case. I came across Marcia's Case when I was investigating the insane story of Dr. Najam Azmat. I was trying to find some of his court records, when I came across this:

I was curious about who Marcia Bateman was, and when I googled her, I found out that she had married Najam Azmat in 1985 in Dallas, Texas. She is recorded as being 24 at time of her marriage, which was in Jan 85 (and would line up with her birth date of 08/18/1960). Najam's age at the time of marriage also tallies with his DOB (recorded as July 1957, as per court documents). They divorced a year later, as per the link above.

I read all the comments in this thread and although it's stated that she was never married, do we know that for sure?? Could she have married him in secret (obviously not a secret to the Dallas County Clerk, but perhaps she didn't tell her friends/family)?

There's a LOT of sketchy stuff about this guy. It's documented on his (revoked, obviously) medical board registrations and elsewhere that he graduated from Khyber medical school in Pakistan in 1982. However, during his 2012/2013 pill mill trial in Georgia, it's stated that he's been in the US since 1978. Could this have been a marriage to facilitate a visa?

His medical training record is also strange. It's reported that he completed his General Surgery residency/training in 1996 (for anyone non medical, once you graduate med school, you need to do post graduate training, the amount of years this takes depends on the specialty you're training in). Training as a General Surgeon takes, on average, 5 years. He graduated med school in 1982 (apparently). We know that he was in the US from at least 1985, so why did his training take 10-11 years? I know this isn't a criminal issue, but still, it's strange.

The reason I mention his medical training his that, during his 2012/2013 court case, it's mentioned that he (apparently) trained in New York & in the Cleveland Clinic, Ohio. Ohio is beside Michigan.

Maybe they're two completely different Marcia's.........or maybe the investigators were already aware of the potential link and were able to rule it out through information that we don't have access to (i.e. if you could see their marriage cert, then maybe that has DOBs on it? I dunno).

For anyone curious about why I'm researching his Najam guy, here's an article to give a flavour. He is not a good guy:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668
Back