Identified! MI - Detroit, WhtFem UP8272, 18-20, in garbage dump, recent childbirth, Feb'87 - n/a

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe they will be extracting from bone this time, which is more expensive and there is a higher likelihood of a good extraction. Also, I think CODIS has a higher standard than what is needed to do genealogical research. So I am very hopeful about this!

I thought DDP had higher standards for their research than CODIS has for unidentified remains? Isn't that why they had to have a better DNA sample for BG, for example? I'm hardly an expert, I'm just going by what they've posted on their website and how I understood it.
I know CODIS does differentiate internally between DNA protocols used for criminal purposes versus used identification purposes, the standard for UPs is lower I believe. The NH AG for the A4 victims stated something simliar when someone asked him why they don't compare the victims profiles to the criminal database to look for paternity. Which is ironic, now that we know one of the victim's fathers was a criminal.

I thought DDP had higher standards for their research than CODIS has for unidentified remains? Isn't that why they had to have a better DNA sample for BG, for example? I'm hardly an expert, I'm just going by what they've posted on their website and how I understood it.
I know CODIS does differentiate internally between DNA protocols used for criminal purposes versus used identification purposes, the standard for UPs is lower I believe. The NH AG for the A4 victims stated something simliar when someone asked him why they don't compare the victims profiles to the criminal database to look for paternity. Which is ironic, now that we know one of the victim's fathers was a criminal.

I shouldn't have written that response, I didn't know what I was talking about. Read my response from Sargeant Sarah Krebs to get a better idea of what they're trying to do with this case. I don't know all the nitty gritty details but they aren't just trying to extract the DNA, they're basically going to do what DDP does with their cases.

Most important thing is to get the word out so people know to donate

I will match whatever donation you guys make, so please let me know! :)

paypal.me/missinginmichigan

Remember to put '87 Harper Jane Doe' in the Note

In this case it's not a matter of better or less stringent standards, it's that they're looking at different parts of the genome for the information they need. If you're going to uniquely identify an individual, you look at the most unique parts of the genome. If you're looking for commonalities to other people, you look at the shared parts.

Looks like some here have been following this unidentified woman case for several years. Even though I was living in north-suburban Detroit (Troy) in 1987, I don't recall the murder. I only learned about the case last night on local evening news (WDIV, Channel 4, Detroit) and read about the case this morning on the WDIV website (linked above). I hope there's progress with DNA testing. I wonder if the woman's child is still alive and knows about his/her mother's murder?

Last edited:
Looks like some here have been following this unidentified woman case for several years. Even though I was living in north-suburban Detroit (Troy) in 1987, I don't recall the murder. I only learned about the case last night on local evening news (WDIV, Channel 4, Detroit) and read about the case this morning on the WDIV website (linked above). I hope there's progress with DNA testing. I wonder if the woman's child is still alive and knows about his/her mother's murder?

Glad to hear she's getting publicity.

Here’s the link to the post again. $500 has been raised so far and they’re trying to get to $3500. Please help if you can! I’d love to see her identified. 2018 has been amazing so far.

Missing in Michigan

$1244 has been raised so far of the necessary $3500. Please donate if you can!

Remember to put ‘87 Harper Doe’ in the note :)

We've looked at this matter, and we feel that the Jane Doe bears a striking resemblance and the original newspaper story from the Detroit Free Press description appears spot on with Gail Northington's photo above.

Attachments

• DETROIT_FREE_PRESS-01221987-ARTICLE.jpg
    DETROIT_FREE_PRESS-01221987-ARTICLE.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 58
I just saw this UID when I was looking on the Doe Network. I saw a few people suggested Gail Northington. NamUs does have a profile pic of her now. I don't think Gail is the UID. Here is her picture.

View attachment 75867

I found that Tina Walls missing from Gulfport MS has been recently added to NamUs, last heard from in Jan 1987. Missing Person Case
Her age is off along with her height but I have seen both off before. Here is a side by side of the UID and Tina

View attachment 75868View attachment 75869

Attachments

• DETROIT_FREE_PRESS_FEB-17-1987_article.jpg
    DETROIT_FREE_PRESS_FEB-17-1987_article.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 16
We've looked at this matter, and we feel that the Jane Doe bears a striking resemblance and the original newspaper story from the Detroit Free Press description appears spot on with Gail Northington's photo above.

Except for the discolored incisor and possible fillings in Gail's smile, I'd agree, but the news paper article stated she had perfect teeth.
I always say, though, when it doubt, submit (if it hasn't been done already)

She's also about 10 years older than the decedent's estimated age, and I don't think the timeline works; she disappeared in December but the victim was found in February and had only been dead for a day or two. Based on her car being found in Toledo, I'd guess he probably left her body in northern Ohio somewhere.

updated Namus link and ruleouts

Unidentified Person Case

MP20211 Cynthia Coleman 09/03/1986 San Diego CA

MP5308 Melinda Creech 09/05/1979 Madison IN

MP643 Erica Franolich 10/13/1986 Schoharie NY

MP5074 Wendy Huggy 04/07/1982 Pinellas FL

MP2544 Kimberly King 09/15/1979 Oakland MI

MP11390 Sandra Lowe 01/05/1987 Orange CA

MP6340 Catherine Malcolmson 08/13/1985 Middlesex MA

MP8253 Deborah McCall 11/05/1979 DuPage IL

MP30894 Cindy Moore 05/23/1985 Oakland MI

MP11914 Sheri Swims 08/19/1986 Miami-Dade FL

MP28393 Tina Walls 01/26/1987 Harrison

MS MP4236 Londa Young 03/29/1986 Calcasieu LA

I just saw this UID when I was looking on the Doe Network. I saw a few people suggested Gail Northington. NamUs does have a profile pic of her now. I don't think Gail is the UID. Here is her picture.

View attachment 75867

I found that Tina Walls missing from Gulfport MS has been recently added to NamUs, last heard from in Jan 1987. Missing Person Case
Her age is off along with her height but I have seen both off before. Here is a side by side of the UID and Tina

View attachment 75868View attachment 75869

Attachments

• Jane_Doe_Gail_Northington.jpg
    Jane_Doe_Gail_Northington.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 32
If this was already posted ans I missed it, I apologize. This is a May, 2018 article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sf...troit-bodies-found-kimberly-king-12898737.php

Police are searching the woods in a Michigan suburb outside Detroit for the body of a 12-year-old girl last seen in 1979, and think they may find the bodies of four to six other girls who were reported missing there.​

Kimberly King, who was reported missing in September 1979 while staying at her grandparents' home, is the focus of the task force's work after her cold case disappearance was reopened. Aerial images and photographs show a crew digging at the edge of a wooded field on the property of a vacant farm in Macomb Township, about an hour north of Detroit.​

A story from Aug. 17, 2018

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ca...h-warehouse-in-cold-case-investigation-109452

Dwyer said part of the warehouse was searched previously by police in Eastpointe investigating the 1986 disappearance of 13-year-old Cindy Zarzycki after the man now convicted of killing her, Arthur Ream, led police to the girl’s body 10 years ago. Ream reportedly operated a carpet business and had an office at the warehouse in Warren, adjacent to a butcher shop.

“What is particularly interesting is that the primary location has been undisturbed since he (Ream) went to prison,” Dwyer said. “That warehouse, a portion of it had been disturbed, but the area we searched was untouched.”

Last October, Nina Innsted featured the Kimberly King case on her “Already Gone” true crime podcast. The episode, and the Warren Police Department’s efforts to take a fresh look at the case, prompted a story by a local television news station in December.

The renewed investigation, led by Warren police detectives James Twardesky and Brent Chisolm, along with Chicago-based cold case investigator Jennifer Lebo, included new interviews with Ream. That led to a weeklong search of a wooded area near 23 Mile Road and North Avenue in Macomb Township in early May, not far from the site where Ream buried Zarzycki.

The dig was later suspended, but Dwyer said the investigative team would evaluate what it learned and continue its investigation. Investigators in May said they believed the remains of up to six more missing girls, including King, could have been buried on the property.​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back