Found Deceased MI - Douglas Dougherty, Amanda Pomeroy, and son Justin, 7m, Bay City, 12 Jan 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Missing Bay City family froze to death, authorities say

"No foul play was involved," Ogemaw County Undersheriff Paul Frechette concluded after a Wednesday autopsy of the bodies. "The deaths are the result of tragic circumstances of the family being stranded out in the winter elements."

The pickup had been disabled on a rock in a remote area, Frechette told the Associated Press.

As a result, the family was left stranded in the winter cold. The nearest house was quite a distance away.

Still, the autopsies, which were performed Wednesday, did not answer all the questions surrounding the family's mysterious deaths. All three were clothed, Frechette said, but — inexplicably — they were not wearing shoes.

No shoes is odd, especially for the driver. I could imagine whomever was in the passenger seat might take his or her shoes off for for comfort on a long drive, but it would make sense to put them back on to retain some warmth, right? I don't usually put shoes on my babies until they're at least standing independently, which this little guy almost certainly would not have been doing yet. I wish the article would have mentioned if the shoes were found in the vehicle, just for curiosity's sake.

Oh wow, this is so sad to hear. I have heard of paradoxical undressing in lethal cases of hypothermia, but that they only removed their shoes is odd. I hope they did not suffer long. :( moo.

And I'm with you @TLobo ...Surely they didn't leave home in the middle of winter barefoot?! Shoes are the only detail we have to fixate on, it would be interesting to know where they ended up...

Last edited:
Bodies of Missing Mich. Parents and 8-Month Son Found in the Woods Near Stuck Car: 'Tragic'

On Wednesday, the Sheriff's Office confirmed to PEOPLE that autopsies were complete, with preliminary results indicating that hypothermia and exposure to the winter elements were the family's preliminary causes of death.

A toxicology report and a final autopsy report are currently pending, according to officials.

Michigan couple and their baby son froze to death after becoming stranded miles from nearest home | Daily Mail Online

However, deputies have been unable to explain why the family was not wearing shoes when they were found. They were otherwise fully clothed.

Studies have shown that in some cases of death by hypothermia, victims begin to remove their clothes as their nerves are damaged and they begin to feel irrationally hot.

The couple and their son were left stranded in the remote wooded area in Northeast Michigan. They were left in a secluded area, far from other homes or residential areas.

The sheriff said there was evidence that Dougherty had been trying to move the truck so the family could escape the freezing temperatures.

Police say they did not find anything suspicious in the truck once the family's location was found.

I am not sure what drugs they were on but I have read about a person who always wore flip-flops or the soccer slides because they were on heroin and shot up in their feet when they knew they would see family especially. I wonder if this could have been the case? I also wonder if they could have potentially been hih to the point of leaving the car running periodically to stay warn. I also wonder why they didn't call anyone else. Maybe I missed it in the story.

I would wonder why they were on an off road trip in the middle of the night in that weather?

Did either of them have a cellphone?!? Could they have called for help? GPS to see where they are and where to walk to? When I initially saw the photos of the parents, I suspected drug use just because of MOE with people around me. I just don't see why you would walk off away from the road like that unless you weren't in a tight state of mind. Were the airbags engaged, like they went off road and hit/got stuck on the boulder? Could they have had head injuries? (Even still both of them reacting the same way - wandering off, removing shoes, etc.)... Just so many questions, I feel awful for their families. All MOO

I live in Michigan and couldn't imagine even running out to grab the mail without shoes! It's been very cold and snowy the past few weeks.
I wonder if they got out to try to push the car off the rock and took their shoes off so they would not get wet and they could put dry socks and shoes on when they got the car going?

Temperatures in Rose City were above freezing when they went missing but dipped into the teens on the 16th which could easily be the day of the accident. I presume they huddled together for warmth in a sleeping position and as the hypothermia made them start to feel warmer and sleepy they took their shoes off but without more info that's fairly speculative.

It's sad that people living in Michigan couldn't build a fire in an emergency. Still, people have survived for weeks in cars in subzero temperatures. It's said they called a friend and told him they'd had an accident but didn't answer calls back. I don't know how much information on that call made its way to authorities or when. This has the earmarks of a very preventable tragedy.

I wonder if they got out to try to push the car off the rock and took their shoes off so they would not get wet and they could put dry socks and shoes on when they got the car going?
I highly doubt they would intentionally go barefoot as it's been at or below freezing temperatures and I'm almost certain it was snowing that day/night. I absolutely would not go without something on my feet in those conditions. It just doesn't make sense to me. MOO based on experience. In addition, I don't understand why a mother would choose to walk away from her vehicle, without shoes (though we don't know when these were removed), with a young child, without any idea where they were going. Wouldn't staying by the car make more sense? Was it a very lightly traveled road? Again, were there no phones to get help or GPS location or get a taxi/tow, etc. ?

I highly doubt they would intentionally go barefoot as it's been at or below freezing temperatures and I'm almost certain it was snowing that day/night. I absolutely would not go without something on my feet in those conditions. It just doesn't make sense to me. MOO based on experience. In addition, I don't understand why a mother would choose to walk away from her vehicle, without shoes (though we don't know when these were removed), with a young child, without any idea where they were going. Wouldn't staying by the car make more sense? Was it a very lightly traveled road? Again, were there no phones to get help or GPS location or get a taxi/tow, etc. ?

They had a phone and rang one friend, then did not answer. Maybe out of battery or signal? Would they be on a road with a boulder on it?

They had a phone and rang one friend, then did not answer. Maybe out of battery or signal? Would they be on a road with a boulder on it?
I'm not sure about boulders on that road, but my parents live in Sterling, where they dropped their daughter of before their trip. If they were headed back that way, logically they were on the fastest routeto get to the highway and head south. They were about a mile from the road to take them south to the highway. Did they misjudge which road they were at and had a "TURN HERE!!!" moment? There really isn't anything out there, just woods. The most logical thing would be stay on the road until someone drives by or start heading back towards town 3 miles or so depending on where on that road the vehicle was found. And still, why not stay on the road and find a potential ride, especially with a young child? Or stay in the vehicle and wait for help... MOO

Maybe their shoes became sopping wet while trying to dislodge the car and they took them off. MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finch5800
Back