MI MI - Eric Franks, 40, Buena Vista Twp, 21 March 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about this in Eric's case or if he had life insurance, but this is what happened in the case of missing (now declared deceased) Natalee Holloway. Her dad was forced to continue payments on Natalee's insurance policy (per divorce terms) and went to court to have his daughter declared dead because she had been missing and was presumed dead past the five-year deadline in Alabama.

I think you are talking about two different things. one is declaration of death laws. they vary by state and the circumstances of the disappearance. if there is no real explanation, then it could take up to 7 years of being missing to be declared dead. however, one stark example to the contrary would be the World Trade Center in NYC on Sept 11, 2001. they very quickly declared thousands of people dead because even though they did not have bodies, they knew what happened.

the second thing is insurance. I can't imagine Mr. Holloway was required to insure Natalee's life. per divorce decrees, parents are usually required to insure their own lives as a guarantee of support payments to the minor in the event of the parental death. since Natalee certainly perished in Aruba there is no reason not to declare her dead. Even if she were still alive, she is no longer a minor so Mr. Holloway is saying that he should not have to insure his life to cover child support obligation in the event of his death.

I think you are talking about two different things. one is declaration of death laws. they vary by state and the circumstances of the disappearance. if there is no real explanation, then it could take up to 7 years of being missing to be declared dead. however, one stark example to the contrary would be the World Trade Center in NYC on Sept 11, 2001. they very quickly declared thousands of people dead because even though they did not have bodies, they knew what happened.

the second thing is insurance. I can't imagine Mr. Holloway was required to insure Natalee's life. per divorce decrees, parents are usually required to insure their own lives as a guarantee of support payments to the minor in the event of the parental death. since Natalee certainly perished in Aruba there is no reason not to declare her dead. Even if she were still alive, she is no longer a minor so Mr. Holloway is saying that he should not have to insure his life to cover child support obligation in the event of his death.

I was offering the Holloway information only as an example of the possible reasons for and/or importance of having someone legally declared dead. Natalee's father had been required to continue health insurance coverage for his daughter per the terms of his divorce from her mother. These payments could have continued for the duration of Natalee's higher education. As long as my sister's children are full- or part-time college students, their health insurance is covered by their mom's employer insurance until they are 26. There was also $2000 that was to be used for Natalee's college education, and Dave Holloway wanted to be able to use the money for his son, Matt's schooling. My apologies for not being more specific and providing a link.

"If Natalee Holloway is ruled dead, her father could use her $2,000 college fund for her younger brother, Matt, and could stop paying for hospital insurance for her, attorney Mark White said."...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4464113...atalee-holloway-dead-hearing-will-happen/plus

There is more reason to believe from what Eric told us that she was hoping to leave hubby and start a new life with Eric. (She denies this) At some point, though, it seems from Eric's communications that she changed her mind.

She obviously held onto her affection because she initiated contact with him. Eric is the father of her child. Over the years, she might have dwelled on a fantasy of the three of them being together some day. When it came close to being a reality, she realized it wasn't what she wanted after all. Just a thought. I do tend to agree with Bubbly, and wonder if her actions compelled Eric to confront the husband, which led to an altercation.

Do you know how long the couple lived in their home? If they had been there several years or more, and then moved before the house was even sold, that raises more red flags. I believe you said police had looked around the property? It might've been too late, but I'm wondering if a K-9 could've been helpful.

I'm really sorry your family is going through this, searching. I read through the thread pretty fast to get caught up, so I apologize if I'm repeating what's already been posted.

bold by me (bbm): that is what I am thinking part of the real truth is:twocents:

I so wish they would have searched her house :-(
from what I'm understanding, the hotel clerk didn't see Eric, just the ex gf, so she was alone, IMO, because according to some sources, she claims she last saw him driving away from her house? It's never to late to check the house and interview the neighbors. Unless it has been torn down, that is. The ex moving out of state though, could be seen as an advantage, if somebody was willing to take control of the situation. They could check the house, the property, interview neighbors, friends, etc., without the ex being there to run interference. IMO, it's time for LE to press their friends and neighbors. MOO. Also, if LE can't do this because of being overloaded with cases,m maybe somebody, (a family member or friend), could sit down with a reporter and show him what you do know, and they could conduct some interviews. Seeing certain discrepancies in print, might light the fire under somebody's behind. MOO/

Great point ktgirl! SS benefits can be pretty substanial for a minor child, anyway she would have to have him declared deceased first (sorry :( ) Very strange case...all the way around..
I'm catching up on this thread, so if this has been covered, I apologize. Thinking about the SS benefits, got me to thinking about something else. Is there some way for Eric's family to find out if the child's mother has applied for or is receiving benefits of any kind, based on Eric being the father? In other words, since he's obviously not paying child support, is the mother receiving some kind of substitute? like 'aid for dependent children'? Because to get these benefits, I think the father has to be contacted or looked for. The mother naming him, but saying he can't be reached, isn't enough. Also, some states are more generous and lenient than others, so do you have any idea of what her new state offers? Anyway, IMO, in a situation like this, I would look real close at the money trail. I've noticed that in certain situations, a lot of people try to get what they can, and it wouldn't surprise me here, because legally speaking, I think she would be eligible. MOO

They still own the home. We keep asking BVPD to conduct a more thorough search of motel room and residence but so far no luck.

BBM

They still own the home.

Bumping for all that may have missed this. Apparently Exgf and family moved over 1000 miles away not too long after Eric went missing. Not sure how long that was though.

Also, the property was searched by LE but the house has never been searched. There are no current tenants.

To searchingfamily

1. How long after Eric went missing did they move out?

2. Has the house ever been occupied since they moved?

3. Is the house maintained that you know of and does exgf still have family in the area?

Thank you if your able to answer any of these questions.

Just thinking outloud (again). Is Eric's name on the child's birth certificate? I have to think no, since egf called later in life to tell Eric about the child. If this is correct, then I don't think egf could try to get benefits of any kind for said child.

If my thinking is correct here, then I do not believe that Eric's disappearance is tied to trying to collect social security or any other type of benefits for the child. No, I think something else has happened. Just thinking out loud...again.

Just thinking outloud (again). Is Eric's name on the child's birth certificate? I have to think no, since egf called later in life to tell Eric about the child. If this is correct, then I don't think egf could try to get benefits of any kind for said child.

If my thinking is correct here, then I do not believe that Eric's disappearance is tied to trying to collect social security or any other type of benefits for the child. No, I think something else has happened. Just thinking out loud...again.
I wasn't thinking his disappearance was because of benefits, but I do think that maybe the mother tried to get benefits after he disappeared. If she could verify that he had a relationship with the daughter, and had moved to be near her, and while there, he helped out financially, well, I think she'd have an argument. She wouldn't even have to find him, just get her husband to vouch for her. But you're right, this is a long shot, and I doubt it would pan out. But, in a lot of situations, people get greedy, and I was thinking if she had filed for benefits, Eric's family could find out what her story was concerning Eric. Such as, did she say he went to California? did she try to contact him? etc. Last night, I was thinking about this case, and I started really hoping that he decided to take off for awhile. I don't know the whole story, but he uprooted his life and moved to be near his daughter, so it looks like he was trying to build some kind of relationship Did the husband know about the arrangement, or was this between Eric and his ex? because I don't see anything but potential for trouble here. Anyway, he was there for months, so it doesn't seem logical that he decided to just up and move without informing his family. But, maybe once he realized things weren't going to work out, he decided to be by himself. I sure hope so. moo

BBM

How would you feel about asking the BVPD or the MSP for this area to be searched?

We've made a lot of requests for searches, but...BVPD is completely overwhelmed with other cases, and MSP won't get involved unless they get a request from BVPD.

To searchingfamily

1. How long after Eric went missing did they move out?

We aren't sure - BVPD was taken by surprise a few weeks ago when they learned about the move. But they had not been in contact for several months prior as far as we know. It's likely a matter of six months give or take since they first knew the police were involved.

2. Has the house ever been occupied since they moved?

Not that we are aware of.

3. Is the house maintained that you know of and does exgf still have family in the area?

Thank you if your able to answer any of these questions.

Family yes, maintenance unknown.

Has anyone been able to deliver any posters into the area?

We are wanting to make the 4.5 hour trip, but don't want to come until the BVPD will agree to meet with us. They gave not yet accepted any of our proposed dates. :(

We hate to let it go so long without getting posters up. Just wondering if there is any help available.

We've made a lot of requests for searches, but...BVPD is completely overwhelmed with other cases, and MSP won't get involved unless they get a request from BVPD.

What about a volunteer search party?

I'm half tempted to call Bridgeport Police myself to see if Buena Vista has even extended a phone call to them... Is there even the slightest chance Miller's Motel falls under Bzv's jurisdiction instead of Bridgeport?

Just looking back through some old posts and noticed this. Bridgeport Twp. is who we called first, because that IS where the motel is. They basically did a couple quick interviews and said "case closed - Eric isn't around here any more." That's why we called BVPD next (since that's where eGF lived), and got a more professional response, though...they too are overwhelmed and things are taking a very long time and there are lots of ideas that we'd like to see pursued that haven't been.

MSP is saying they can't get involved unless the local PD requests it.

Just noting:

Butterfields Used Car 4758 Dixie Highway Saginaw, MI (989) 746-9186: "Let's Make A Deal" or perhaps a paint job? A little side work in exchange?
CALIFORNIA Street: Next street north from motel. From where the eGF was, was Eric headed for California...STREET? I could say that and still tell the truth if I omitted the word street. (Leaving from her house or the motel?)
Miller's Motel 4853 Dixie Highway Saginaw, MI (989) 777-5250: Woods behind living quarters.
Jonnie-On-The Spot 4963 Dixie Hwy, Saginaw, MI (989) 777-0383: Lots of potties and chemicals.
Wellman Septic Service 4963 Dixie Hwy, Saginaw, MI (989) 777-3442

Just thinking.....

Sf,
In an earlier post, I mentioned that my friend's brother "disappeared" many years ago. This is how it went down. Sister mails a letter, it comes back moved, no forward address. He moved halfway across the country after college. Family eventually calls the police. They would not help, because he was over 18. They pleaded with a detective by asking if he had children. He agreed to work the case "because my wife would be frantic if the situation were reversed.

Said detective runs a large ad and picture in the paper. Crazy as it sounds, he was wearing a distinctive plaid (1970's) jacket in the picture. Someone knew of that jacket, because she stole it from the drop box, where he left it. She called and said that she had this jacket, and from there they found that he was giving his articles away. The police also went to where he lived and found his entire life still there.

Now, has anyone checked for bank accounts? Just in case he had one. Was the mail forwarded anywhere? Did he ever receive mail at the motel?

Most importantly, did he have any one item that would be easily recognized??A ring, lime green shoes or the like??

Yesterday, I did email a reporter that had already written an article on Eric in the newpaper. If and when I get a reponse from him, I will let you know.

I still say, go to the area and insist on talking to someone. If they refuse, then march directly over to the MSP and perhaps, you can persuade them to take the human approach and do something about this.

he just had a birthday so I updated his age on our thread (family: you may want to have namUS update his info as well)

I'm catching up on this thread, so if this has been covered, I apologize. Thinking about the SS benefits, got me to thinking about something else. Is there some way for Eric's family to find out if the child's mother has applied for or is receiving benefits of any kind, based on Eric being the father? In other words, since he's obviously not paying child support, is the mother receiving some kind of substitute? like 'aid for dependent children'? Because to get these benefits, I think the father has to be contacted or looked for. The mother naming him, but saying he can't be reached, isn't enough. Also, some states are more generous and lenient than others, so do you have any idea of what her new state offers? Anyway, IMO, in a situation like this, I would look real close at the money trail. I've noticed that in certain situations, a lot of people try to get what they can, and it wouldn't surprise me here, because legally speaking, I think she would be eligible. MOO

I have finally "almost" read the entire thread. I'm not positive but I believe that in Michigan if a mother is married to someone who is not the father of a child she give birth to (while married to the non-father), that child is still considered the non-father's child. If I am correct then I don't believe that the xGF could go after Eric for child support or SS. I'll try to research that.

Also, I can't remember reading this before but, SF, do you know how Eric met the xGF and where. Was it in Saginaw? BTW, I am from Michigan but not the Saginaw area.

It seems to me from reading the thread that the child may be older. Is it possible that the child contacted Eric (through social media like Facebook) and not the mother, setting this all in motion?

Sorry so many questions and comments in the same post.

Has anyone been able to deliver any posters into the area?

We are wanting to make the 4.5 hour trip, but don't want to come until the BVPD will agree to meet with us. They gave not yet accepted any of our proposed dates. :(

We hate to let it go so long without getting posters up. Just wondering if there is any help available.

BBM

searchingfamily,

Considerably upthread I had suggested you contact the ministers of local churches to see if their youth groups may be able to post the flyers. Do I assume you've done this and not one is interested?

Perhaps it will spark someone's imagination here with other ideas if you were to share the types of groups to whom you've been outreach efforts and what their responses have been.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129