Identified! MI - Flint, 2 Remains found in Broome Park, Nov 2017 * Misty Dawn Kerrison-Streiber & Claudia Wilson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you Melissa. Now let's hope there is justice for these two women.

Found some articles about them being missing: http://www.abc12.com/content/news/Flint-Police-addresses-missing-women-reports--444053703.html

http://www.abc12.com/content/news/F...-streets-of-Flint-Friday-night-443366653.html

What I'm not understanding is, why aren't the police being open about their missing persons reports? That seems very weird to me. Most other PD's talking about people missing in their area talking about them people almost reflexively, using there names A LOT and repeating their information.

FLINT, MI - Authorities say they have been able to eliminate the possibility the human remains discovered in Broome Park belong to numerous missing Flint-area women, but they still need help in conclusively identifying the bodies.

The remains of two women were found Nov. 7 after multiple law enforcement agencies searched the park and an area that extended onto the grounds of nearby Flint Southwestern over two days.

Women reported missing from Genesee County whose dental records have been made available to police have been excluded, according to Sgt. Sarah Krebs of the Michigan State Police.

Krebs said she has ideas of who the remains belong to but she needs more information before she can reach a conclusion.
"I have some candidates, but I can't conclusively say without DNA," she said. "Quite honestly, I feel that one of these cases is going to be an unreported missing persons case. That might be why we're not identifying these people."
Krebs said there were roughly 40 active missing women cases that originated in Genesee County at the time the remains were discovered and she was able to exclude a number of those candidates because of their age, ancestry or race and two by dental records.
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2018/02/dna_crucial_to_uncovering_iden.html

Why was this sent to identified? Gardener1850 gave links that said they WERENT identified.

Per their link:
[FONT=&quot]Authorities say they have been able to eliminate the possibility the human remains discovered in Broome Park belong to numerous missing Flint-area women, but they still need help in conclusively identifying the bodies. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"I have some candidates, but I can't conclusively say without DNA," she said. "Quite honestly, I feel that one of these cases is going to be an unreported missing persons case. That might be why we're not identifying these people."
[/FONT]

[h=1]Family of missing persons encouraged to give DNA to crack Broome Park case[/h]
"Because they're skeletal, it's really hard to determine exactly how long have they been skeletal and you really can't determine that," she explained.
Sergeant Krebs said the two skulls found in the park could be from people who went missing that October or any time before that.

What she does know, thanks to the work of an MSU forensic anthropologist, is one's a female, both are mostly likely of Caucasian descent, one is between 20 and 40-years-old, the other is between 20 and 50-years-old.
That narrows down her list of about 40 missing people in Genesee County. These are names that have been reported to law enforcement.
Sergeant Krebs said her team also checked dental records of some missing people, which helped them exclude quite a few on the list.

"Then, we're kind of looking at who we have left. And then, we're contacting families. And, a lot of times we find out that the person has returned, but it never got followed up on, so we can take them off the list," she explained.
Right now, Sergeant Krebs said the team believes they've identified the female. They're waiting on a DNA match from the woman's family.
Still no answers on the second person.
Read more: http://www.abc12.com/content/news/F...-DNA-to-crack-Broome-Park-case-473447683.html

[h=1]MSP DNA drive may help solve homicide case involving two skulls in Broome park and other missing persons cases[/h]
FLINT, Michigan (WJRT) - (02/14/2018) - Michigan State Police will be hosting an "ID the Missing" event at Berston Field House in Flint on Thursday.

The goal is to collect DNA to help investigators crack an active homicide case involving two skulls that were found in Broome Park on November 7th, and solve other missing persons cases.

"It's very important that they go out there, they do the DNA drive, and get these girls home and get their families closure," said Jennie Stein, an advocate for the families of missing women in Genesee County.
Jennie Stein is an advocate for the family of 41-year old Claudia Wilson, who went missing on August 19th, in the same area of Fenton and Atherton Roads.

The family now lives out-of-state.

"Her family came up on November 9 and gave DNA already," Stein said. "We're just waiting now for matches to start coming back."

Detective Sgt. Sarah Krebs says they have a probable ID on one of the skulls that they believe belonged to a Caucasian female:

"I'm hoping that its not her," said Stein,"but her family is prepared either way."

Krebs hopes the DNA drive may help them ID the second skull.

"Anything from that month prior, and beyond, backing up years even, because they're skeletal, it's really hard to determine how long have they been skeletal," Krebs said.

Sgt. Krebs said every case matters to them, no matter how recent or how old.
She's encouraging anyone with a missing family member to attend the event. The cheek swab only takes about thirty seconds.
http://www.abc12.com/content/news/M...nd-other-missing-persons-cases-474128023.html

Why was this sent to identified? Gardener1850 gave links that said they WERENT identified.

Per their link:
[FONT=&amp]Authorities say they have been able to eliminate the possibility the human remains discovered in Broome Park belong to numerous missing Flint-area women, but they still need help in conclusively identifying the bodies. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"I have some candidates, but I can't conclusively say without DNA," she said. "Quite honestly, I feel that one of these cases is going to be an unreported missing persons case. That might be why we're not identifying these people."
[/FONT]

If you read the thread you'd see where a verified member at WS was told by Flint PD the remains were identified. Apparently the detective who said the remains were id'd did not have the correct info , or, as in some cases the authorities know who it is but can not make an official id because the information they have doesn't meet the criteria for a legal id.

It's not the first time, nor will it be the last, information we've received from LE is later updated or changed.

It sounds to me like the detective who said they were identified thinks that once they determined the women were local prostitutes, that was all that needed to be said. They didn't need names. We saw the same thing with our local serial killer; too often the press acted like the dead women had no identity apart from how they earned money. (They were Carmen Rudy, 28, Betzaida Montalvo, 29, and Dinelia Torres, 33. I feel the need to name them again so they aren't forgotten.) It makes me so mad I could blow steam out of my ears.

It sounds to me like the detective who said they were identified thinks that once they determined the women were local prostitutes, that was all that needed to be said. They didn't need names. We saw the same thing with our local serial killer; too often the press acted like the dead women had no identity apart from how they earned money. (They were Carmen Rudy, 28, Betzaida Montalvo, 29, and Dinelia Torres, 33. I feel the need to name them again so they aren't forgotten.) It makes me so mad I could blow steam out of my ears.

I totally understand your sentiment. In the case of my local serial killer there was a documentary, 20'ish years after he was caught, and the senior policeman from the investigation was still differentiating between the victims who were 'innocent' and those who weren't (sex workers).

No surprises that it was the worst police investigation you could ever imagine.

The 'innocent' victims were supposedly mistakes.

It's plainly obvious he just went for women who were vulnerable, whether by lifestyle or situation.

No, I am certain that is not true. Sgt. Hosmer handled the investigation into Coral Halls murder, his dedication led to a no body conviction.... The WS verified member who spoke with Sgt Hosmer worked with him on the investigation into Corals disappearance and murder. I am certain Hosmer is one the best detectives any WS member has worked with and he would never dismiss a victim as your post suggested. It simply wouldn't happen.

Clearly, his explanation of identified was in response to an inquiry regarding these remains possibly belonging to Coral, his definition of id'd was relative to that inquiry and was mixed up with our definition of id'd. I was the one who notified the mods that they were id'd and I was unaware his definition of id'd was in a different context.

This is both a victim friendly AND LE friendly forum, so let's not jump to assumptions about either based on what was clearly a mixup.

No, I am certain that is not true. Sgt. Hosmer handled the investigation into Coral Halls murder, his dedication led to a no body conviction.... The WS verified member who spoke with Sgt Hosmer worked with him on the investigation into Corals disappearance and murder. I am certain Hosmer is one the best detectives any WS member has worked with and he would never dismiss a victim as your post suggested. It simply wouldn't happen.

Clearly, his explanation of identified was in response to an inquiry regarding these remains possibly belonging to Coral, his definition of id'd was relative to that inquiry and was mixed up with our definition of id'd. I was the one who notified the mods that they were id'd and I was unaware his definition of id'd was in a different context.

This is both a victim friendly AND LE friendly forum, so let's not jump to assumptions about either based on what was clearly a mixup.
I'll accept your explanation because I've known and respected you for a very long time, and my apologies to Sgt. Hosmer. If I jumped to conclusions, it was because I've seen that toxic and dehumanizing attitude towards sex workers and poor women far far more often than I've seen respect and care.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

If you read the thread you'd see where a verified member at WS was told by Flint PD the remains were identified. Apparently the detective who said the remains were id'd did not have the correct info , or, as in some cases the authorities know who it is but can not make an official id because the information they have doesn't meet the criteria for a legal id.

It's not the first time, nor will it be the last, information we've received from LE is later updated or changed.

I'll accept your explanation because I've known and respected you for a very long time, and my apologies to Sgt. Hosmer. If I jumped to conclusions, it was because I've seen that toxic and dehumanizing attitude towards sex workers and poor women far far more often than I've seen respect and care.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Both of you are correct in a way. The detectives in this case either mispoke or spoke too soon when they said the victims were identified. Later they would say they think they know the identity of at least one of them but they need DNA from family members to prove it. However, LE also DID comment that the victim's lifestyle was probably the reason they ended up in the park:

Right now, Sergeant Krebs said the team believes they've identified the female. They're waiting on a DNA match from the woman's family.

Still no answers on the second person.

"I don't think that these people were random targets. And I think that, unfortunately, these people were probably living a high-risk lifestyle and that's what wound them up in Broome Park," Sergeant Krebs said.
http://www.abc12.com/content/news/F...-DNA-to-crack-Broome-Park-case-473447683.html

Family at the DNA collection event also said they felt like the police had previously ignored their loved one's cases due to their backgrounds. This is from the mother of missing Flint woman Presley Rau:

Rau said she was contacted by Flint police after two skulls were found in Broome Park on November 7th.

Dental records ruled her daughter out as being one of the victims, and Rau said reports of recent sightings of Presley have her hoping her daughter is still alive.

She said getting Flint police to take her daughter's case seriously was difficult initially.

"I know when Presley first went missing, I was told because of her lifestyle, that they probably wouldn't look for her," she said.

Rau said she still doesn't think they are taking her daughter's case seriously enough, and she's glad the Michigan State Police are getting involved.
http://www.abc12.com/content/news/M...nd-other-missing-persons-cases-474128023.html

IMO, it's not bashing the police to state that there is a difference in how they handle the disappearance of certain populations. On the one hand police have limited resources and may know from experience/statistics that some people are more likely to "go missing" and reappear safe without harm coming to them. On the other hand, no mother of a missing person should EVER be told "we probably won't look for your daughter because of her lifestyle". That is unacceptable IMO. I would like to think the Flint police have learned something through the bad publicity having so many missing women has brought. They suddenly found themselves needing to plead with families of the missing to come forward with DNA. I hope that things are changing in how they plan to talk to the family of missing in the future. JMO.

Both of you are correct in a way. The detectives in this case either mispoke or spoke too soon when they said the victims were identified. Later they would say they think they know the identity of at least one of them but they need DNA from family members to prove it. However, LE also DID comment that the victim's lifestyle was probably the reason they ended up in the park:

http://www.abc12.com/content/news/F...-DNA-to-crack-Broome-Park-case-473447683.html

Family at the DNA collection event also said they felt like the police had previously ignored their loved one's cases due to their backgrounds. This is from the mother of missing Flint woman Presley Rau:

IMO, it's not bashing the police to state that there is a difference in how they handle the disappearance of certain populations. On the one hand police have limited resources and may know from experience/statistics that some people are more likely to "go missing" and reappear safe without harm coming to them. On the other hand, no mother of a missing person should EVER be told "we probably won't look for your daughter because of her lifestyle". That is unacceptable IMO. I would like to think the Flint police have learned something through the bad publicity having so many missing women has brought. They suddenly found themselves needing to plead with families of the missing to come forward with DNA. I hope that things are changing in how they plan to talk to the family of missing in the future. JMO.

I hear you, but when this mother said, 'because of her life style they probably wouldn't look for her'. Do we know who said that? Was it an actual LEO or just a civilian who shared that opinion with the mom? If it was a direct quote that's one thing, but of it wasn't we're assuming again.....

I ask that because we at WS know from working these cases that lots of MP's don't get the attention they need and that lack of time and attention isn't solely limited to those with risky lifestyles. I just get frustrated in any situation where a broad brush stroke paints the picture. (And then there is that whole no one can make someone feel like they or their family member are worthless without allowing another to make oneself feel that way........)

Let's look at the positives here. There IS attention being paid to these cases, efforts are being made to obtain DNA etc. MSM is giving these cases some attention, WS is.......

I apologize for my misunderstanding and mixup on the identification..... We are all here because we all believe the victims and their families deserve justice and dignity regardless of who they are...... Hopefully official id's will be made soon and justice comes for the victims and their families.

I hear you, but when this mother said, 'because of her life style they probably wouldn't look for her'. Do we know who said that? Was it an actual LEO or just a civilian who shared that opinion with the mom? If it was a direct quote that's one thing, but of it wasn't we're assuming again.....

RSBM. Although there is no direct attribution of who said "because of her lifestyle, they probably won't look for her" -- we have the surrounding quotes for context as she is discussing first going to LE to report her daughter missing and LE not taking her daughter's case seriously. The surrounding quotes are discussing how LE made her feel so it makes sense that this was something a LEO said to her (JMO). We also have a direct quote by LE (Sgt Krebs) to the press along the same lines that the victims in Broome Park likely ended up there because of their "lifestyle"-- the same word that the mother used. IMO, it is reasonable to believe LE told (or at least hinted in some way to) Ms. Rau that they would not do much searching due to her daughter's lifestyle. And as I said before that makes sense because they may not have the resources available to do so. That's possibly why Flint brought in the state police to help with this investigation. JMO.

RSBM. Although there is no direct attribution of who said "because of her lifestyle, they probably won't look for her" -- we have the surrounding quotes for context as she is discussing first going to LE to report her daughter missing and LE not taking her daughter's case seriously. The surrounding quotes are discussing how LE made her feel so it makes sense that this was something a LEO said to her (JMO). We also have a direct quote by LE (Sgt Krebs) to the press along the same lines that the victims in Broome Park likely ended up there because of their "lifestyle"-- the same word that the mother used. IMO, it is reasonable to believe LE told (or at least hinted in some way to) Ms. Rau that they would not do much searching due to her daughter's lifestyle. And as I said before that makes sense because they may not have the resources available to do so. That's possibly why Flint brought in the state police to help with this investigation. JMO.

Just to add to the above to be clear-- I'm not knocking the police or Sgt Krebs with the above just stating that these things were said and that was the impression the victim's family member had. Sgt Krebs has elsewhere shown great advocacy for the victims in her words to the press. In a Feb 2018 article she said this:

"I've always been a voice for those skeletal remains because they can't speak anymore," she said. "It really kind of made me an advocate for the missing person, because most times those cases end up being our missing person cases."

One issue in identifying remains is that some cases predate the databases and law enforcement may not have been in contact with families for decades.

"Maybe when they went missing, it was a voluntary missing case they never followed up on," said Krebs. "That family has been a victim of that missing persons case ever since. If you can imagine not knowing where one of your loved ones went, they've been kind of held victim by that.
"We're trying to let them know they absolutely are a crime victim,
" she added. "We want to hear their voices and we want to document their cases and hopefully give them answers."
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2018/02/families_with_missing_loved_on.html

I do believe the police want to help the families of the missing and want to solve this.

NamUs UP 17435

Unidentified Person Case

Unidentified Body/Remains (White Female)
Found November 7, 2017 in Flint, MI
Body Condition: Not recognizable - partial skeletal parts only
Probable year of death:

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: (20-50)
Approximate Height: cannot estimate
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks: nothing

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing: nothing
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories: nothing

NamUs UP 17431

Unidentified Person Case

Unidentified Body/Remains (Unknown sex and race)
Found November 7, 2017 in Flint, MI
Body Condition: Not recognizable - partial skeletal parts only
Probable year of death:

Vital Statistics
Estimated age:
Approximate Height: cannot estimate
Approximate Weight: cannot estimate
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Scars and marks: nothing

Clothing & Accessories
Clothing: nothing
Jewerly: nothing
Footwear: nothing
Accessories: nothing

Case History:
Skeletonized cranium recovered in Broome Park on parking lot with another skull (UP17435).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back