MI - Found Deceased - Brooke Anne Slocum, 18, Wyoming, 12 July 2014

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't imagine being his friend. It must be such a shock!
Killed the same day she was found, and badly decomposed? How does that work?
Beheaded?! What on earth was wrong with this man?!!

There was only one article I saw claiming her body was badly decomposed - obviously not very good reporting since the chief of police himself said at the press conference that she was likely killed the same day her body was found.

So,

Saturday July 12th - Charlie and Brooke were to meet Brady for sex late at night in the Park. Reports say they were seen leaving their apartment together that night.

Sunday July 13th - a neighbor claims she heard screams coming from Brady's home

Wednesday July 16th police responded to an abandoned car call and Charlie's beheaded body was located, his head has still not turned up even with extensive searching with dogs and Michigan State Police helicopters, but the chief said the head was removed by the suspect, so it must be a fairly "clean" cut and not one that led them to think an animal did it. His COD is still unknown because it was head related, if it wasn't the beheading itself that killed him? We may never know. Brooke Slocum was then reported missing and as the last known person to see Charlie.

Thursday July 17th - After searching Brooke's computer, police were led to Brady's home. While awaiting a search warrant Brady left and was pulled over by 131 ramp. Brady acted as if he was cooperating but took off when cops approached his vehicle and crashed into the guard rail, he was pronounced dead from a self inflicted gun shot wound, Brooke's body was then found in the trunk strangled believed to have been killed that day.

400 pieces of evidence removed and they believe Brady was holding her captive for several days, so Late Saturday night hours/early Sunday morning hours - Thursday at some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way too much weird and violent stuff going on around here lately. People have lost their minds. A possible link between this guy and Jessica Heeringa is being looked into, but is not suspected.

Way too much weird and violent stuff going on around here lately. People have lost their minds. A possible link between this guy and Jessica Heeringa is being looked into, but is not suspected.

BBM - I totally agree. I think I'm going to have to drop this thread...I really don't want any more details. I keep thinking how awful those last days were for Brooke--she'd likely seen her boyfriend killed and possibly seen him beheaded, I can't begin to imagine how terrified she must have been.

I was surprised to see all of MSM jumping on possible connections. Of course they SHOULD look into it given the proximity of areas, but given we don't have much on Jessica Heeringa disappearing - it seemed bold to say they were looking into it. Of course there could always be things close to the vest that have similarities. Maybe he owned a silver van before? Or lived or worked in Norton Shores? Maybe there was some information about Jessica talking to people on CL? Wish peace could be brought to her family.

My heart goes out to the families and friends. This is truly horrific.

I have to stop reading this thread- it's too horrible.

I wonder if Charlie and Brooke met on craigslist? Does anyone know how they met? And where is Charlie's head? This is so sad.

Brooke Slocum strangled and boyfriend Charles Oppenneer decapitated allegedly by Brady Oestrike in Craigslist tragedy

July 23, 2014 3:40PM

A PREGNANT teenager offering sex to strangers on Craigslist has been strangled and her boyfriend brutally decapitated allegedly by a man they met in a park.

Brooke Slocum, 18, was held captive for five days at the Michigan home of suspect Brady Oestrike, 31 before she was found strangled in the boot of his car.

She had arranged to meet Oestrike at Wyoming’s Gezon Park after contacting him through Craigslist.

According to WOOD TV8, Slocum offered to have sex with Oestrike if he paid for it. Her boyfriend Charles Oppenneer, 25, was to be present when they met.

The couple’s flatmate, McKenzi Hallo, said Slocum, who was eight months pregnant at the time of her death, would use the site to meet people for sex.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...aigslist-tragedy/story-fnihsmjt-1226998913293

Oh my... a missionary? I would really like to see where he has been and when. I suspect this may not be the first time. MOO

Not that it's not happened before, and not that every murder isn't horrific, but this is...shocking.

And I agree, again, not like there haven't been other 'firsts' that are this bad, but it sure is not the rule!

To go to:
  • killing 3 people (IMO that baby absolutely counts so I'm including her)
  • killing one
  • and also decapitating him
  • hiding his head (did he think they couldn't ID him? Really, why would you do that? He was apparently likely already dead prior to decapitating him if they don't know the COD)
  • likely doing some or all of the above in front of his GF and mother of his child
  • holding one hostage
  • doing what surely were heinous things during that time
  • killing her
  • killing her about to be born child (and frankly I'd guess he did that first to torment Brooke in yet another way)

That's not just a couple things "more" on the horrific side, that's a laundry list!

Especially for a first time killer. And also as someone who purported to be a man of faith - and supposedly valued life enough that he posted about elderly getting more care in jails so sending them there would be better and putting the criminals in nursing homes. (Which, obviously is all negated by this, as well as contradicted by everything found in his residence, but...still. Apparently that WAS true of him at some point, even if it was an act now)

I wonder if there's any chance that they had actually met prior?

It seems highly unlikely given they are linked through the current CL ad. But couldn't they have met previously perhaps and simply ended up linked again through this ad (and the earlier meeting not known yet? or maybe not revealed?)

Reading all this horrid stuff, it's hard not to wonder, too, if something went really wrong that night?

Like did he want to get into something 'freaky' perhaps and she/they refused to go along with it? Could he then have made threats "If you don't ____, I'll ___"?

And could he then have killed Charlie in order to force Brooke (and to "make her pay") or something? Knowing then he'd have to kill her at some point?

Or did he go into it planning to kill them? And if so, why? (Unstable person? Escalation in previous violence perhaps?)

He's a big guy obviously, but heck, he was outnumbered when they walked into the place. Obviously he was prepared, it was his turf, and he had that plus any planning (assuming it was premeditated) as advantages, but it'd seem a whole lot riskier to take on two people than one (especially if he really hadn't met them, so wouldn't know if THEY might come armed in case something went wrong or whatever)

Did he wait until partway through their encounter to do something? Perhaps doing some sort of act while having her restrained? Then allowing him to only have to "deal" with Charlie while Brooke couldn't do anything about it?

And why did he even have her in his car when he fled? She'd not been there the whole time obviously. Had he been planning to go dump her somewhere and LE just got there before he could?

Did he not think the houseful of evidence would be enough if neither body was there? That almost sounds delusional if he did!

Has it been 100% confirmed the baby is actually Charlie's? If Brooke has been with a lot of other people, I wonder if they know for certain? (Or if anyone would wonder if not everyone knew the whole lifestyle side of things) Given the lifestyle, it doesn't seem like it's entirely far-fetched that there's a possibility it's not his baby, isn't it?

Not that that really matters, but thinking about Erin C (Marine wife) it added to me wondering if there was a chance she'd met B before and he was furious it could be his child? Given how absolutely horrific all that happened was, it seems like having a deeper 'motive' might have a small fraction of a chance to be the case.

All around such a senseless and horrific tragedy no matter what!

A new article just released. Not much in the article, but the author of the article is answering comments.
Craigslist murders: Oestrike's family looks inside his home, says it's not a 'dungeon'
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/07/craigslist_murders_oestrikes_f.html

Also, about the decapitation, he might have killed Charlie by shooting him in the head. It is possible that he hid the head so LE couldn't trace the bullets to a gun he owned.

http://fox17online.com/2014/07/24/oestrikes-ex-roommate-he-was-having-thoughts-about-killing-me/

Another new article. Ex-roommate says Brady did have a dark side and claims he said he thought he was schizophrenic.

If that's what Brady thought, I wish he would have went to a doctor to find out for sure. Or maybe it was something else. Of course he could have gone to a doctor at some point and then just dropped treatment to never go again, but man. I'm not sure he was schizophrenic, but something wasn't right.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/07/craigslist_murders_slocum_died.html

Death certificates on file at the Kent County Clerk's office list Brooke Slocum's cause of death as ligature strangulation, meaning she was strangled with a rope, strap or some other device.

A forensic pathologist listed her time of death as July 17, the same day that police tracked down Oestrike through an Internet task force's analysis of Slocum's computer.

A pathologist lists Oppenneer's cause of death as "homicide by unspecified means" and puts the date of death at July 13.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back