Found Deceased MI - Hunter Klompstra, 18, Coopersville, 1 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Possibly an altercation with someone else. Possibly he stumbled and they fell off.

I don't think it's been said how many or ages of others. My guess is the river, too. :(

In my mind, if he ended up in the river due to nefarious reasons, his hat and glasses would end up there, too. Dump the evidence. If someone caused him harm, it's odd to me that his belongings would be located where they were.

I'm curious what state his glasses were found in. Were they randomly splayed out on the ground? Were they neatly folded up, as if they were placed in that location (by him or someone else)? Any damage to the glasses? And then beyond that, was this area searched from the get go, meaning they would have to have been placed there later? Or did everyone start looking farther out since people had said he left the party, so they may have been in this location from day 1?

The glasses really do confuse me. I'm not sure why someone who always wear glasses would remove them. Like others have said, maybe before getting into a fight with someone and not wanting glasses broken. That's honestly the only thing that comes to mind besides removing them to sleep, shower, or to clean them.

Was it ever stated how many people were at the party or what the ages of the party-goers are?
I keep thinking he'll be located in the river, but I don't know why he wouldn't have his glasses and hat with him, regardless of how he ended up in the river.

I have read posts that say there were approximately 20 people there, and other posts that said there were anywhere from 20-80 people there. I'm going to guess the first one is probably more accurate.

I have read posts that say there were approximately 20 people there, and other posts that said there were anywhere from 20-80 people there. I'm going to guess the first one is probably more accurate.

Oh, my apologies. I've also read that they were classmates of hunter's and friends that attended school with him..so I'm guessing primarily 18-19 year olds. My brother is 19 and knows hunter. He did not attend this party, however.

In my mind, if he ended up in the river due to nefarious reasons, his hat and glasses would end up there, too. Dump the evidence. If someone caused him harm, it's odd to me that his belongings would be located where they were.

MOO but people trying to get rid of a crime are not always the smartest and maybe they didn't realize they forgot to dispose of his glasses and hat?

I hate assuming he'll end up in water somewhere, but that's just the way things seem to happen. Again, JMO.

Given what I've read on SM, I think there was a fight that night, they were all intoxicated, and Hunter was either disappeared after an accidental death or he left in a state that led him into the river. I think they will probably wait until April or later to search the river again and its downstream banks. It has been really cold still, so I wouldn't expect him to surface before now or even a few weeks from now. I still hold out hope that he left on his own, just based off his FB post showing he's thought about it. But most people that leave on their own have at least one person that knows where they are, and they don't stay out of contact to the point of making their family suffer when there has been no precipitating events to warrant that. My heart goes out to his mom, I hope she gets answers soon.

I believe.. either something happened to him at the party causing his death, or something happened that led to him leaving the party when he wasn't supposed to.. and maybe a sicko picked him up on his way home or to his friend's house possibly. Sadly there's a lot of drunk drivers on the road at that time on NYE, and if he crossed paths with an opportunistic person.. who knows. I'm wondering if that were the case, maybe the partygoers don't want to admit a fight or argument because they really don't know anything after he would've left and they're worried of getting in trouble because he's still missing and they were the last people to see him? I just highly doubt he would've fallen in the river, or actually left without contacting anyone.. from what I've read that would be completely out of character for him, and he and his family are close. I just really hope they get answers soon.. so much speculation and so little facts. I wish there were more info to go on.

It hasn't been said what condition the glasses were found in. But the weird thing is, the hat was found within the first day that Hunter went missing; the glasses were not found. Then someone used a drone to go over the party house property, and the glasses were seen on the drone footage. When they went to the property to retrieve the glasses, they were NOT found in the same location as was seen on the drone footage. So...??? Not sure why that would be. But the glasses did not move themselves.

Also, when I first started following this case, I did not realize how close the river is to the party house. I mean, VERY close! There is a steep-ish slope behind the house leading to the river and stairs from the house down to the river, locals say at the time of the party the river was very high, so high that the bottom stairs would have been under the water. Knowing this, I think it increases the chance that Hunter may have ended up in the river.

Missing Hunter Klompstra

86986400_2954749681256485_3805796741760942080_n.jpg

This is a very strange case. I'm a little surprised and confused as to where the minds of Hunter's family are at. They post these heart wrenching posts begging people (the kids at the party) to come forward with information on what happened to Hunter, leading me to believe that they THEY believe that someone there knows something and possibly involved in Hunter's disappearance. Yet when someone comments on their FB page anything about the kids and putting pressure on them or the party house owners the family (of Hunter) rushes in to defend them!! They posted yesterday their usual frustrated and slightly angry post re: upset nobody is coming forward with information, then mentions that some of the kids at the party are now lawyering up. Then when someone commented about it, Hunter's family rushed in to defend the kids!

I don't get it. These kids have had almost TWO MONTHS now to come forward with information. All of the party kids have been interviewed by LE FOUR TIMES EACH. The family has said numerous times that the stories contradict each other significantly so it would appear that either all these kids were so drunk and/or high that they have poor recollection, OR they were reasonably sober and someone is hiding something. Either is bad news all the way around. If these kids haven't talked in the past two months they simply are not going to, no matter how many begging and prayer posts you put on FB.

Every time someone speaks up as to maybe the family needs to get a little more aggressive to find Hunter, Hunter's family defends the party kids. I really don't get it at all. If this were my kid this would all be handled waaay differently. Maybe there's something I'm missing, I don't know.

ALL IMO!!!!!!!

This is a very strange case. I'm a little surprised and confused as to where the minds of Hunter's family are at. They post these heart wrenching posts begging people (the kids at the party) to come forward with information on what happened to Hunter, leading me to believe that they THEY believe that someone there knows something and possibly involved in Hunter's disappearance. Yet when someone comments on their FB page anything about the kids and putting pressure on them or the party house owners the family (of Hunter) rushes in to defend them!! They posted yesterday their usual frustrated and slightly angry post re: upset nobody is coming forward with information, then mentions that some of the kids at the party are now lawyering up. Then when someone commented about it, Hunter's family rushed in to defend the kids!

I don't get it. These kids have had almost TWO MONTHS now to come forward with information. All of the party kids have been interviewed by LE FOUR TIMES EACH. The family has said numerous times that the stories contradict each other significantly so it would appear that either all these kids were so drunk and/or high that they have poor recollection, OR they were reasonably sober and someone is hiding something. Either is bad news all the way around. If these kids haven't talked in the past two months they simply are not going to, no matter how many begging and prayer posts you put on FB.

Every time someone speaks up as to maybe the family needs to get a little more aggressive to find Hunter, Hunter's family defends the party kids. I really don't get it at all. If this were my kid this would all be handled waaay differently. Maybe there's something I'm missing, I don't know.

ALL IMO!!!!!!!
I agree, very inconsistent. I’m guessing it’s a roller-coaster of indecisiveness, because if you play it wrong, you may not ever know what happened to your son. They basically have 2 choices. Be “nice” to the kids, hoping one of them develops enough guilt/compassion to say something. Or you get aggressive hoping to scare them into telling you. Either one could backfire. And once you go down one path, almost impossible to backpeddle. Given that some have “lawyered up” I’d be going hardball with them & trying to appeal to the “do what’s right” with the others. It’s a crapshoot. And who knows how LE is directing them. Maybe they’re receiving expert advice that conflicts with gut instincts. Hence the waffling. Horrible position to be in. What happened to you Hunter?!

Klompstra family wants 'truth, answers' in search for missing 18-year-old son

Hunter's father continues looking near areas where Hunter was last seen weekly, if not daily.

"I want him to be alive," said Sam. "I can't say he is gone without having proof, and I never will."

The family is also selling shirts to support the search on their FB page.

They shared this video on Hunter a couple days ago as well:

They worked directly with Hunter's family to create this video. Hunter's family states that contrary to many MSM reports, Hunter was never actually seen leaving the party. They say if he did leave the party, they have no evidence of this.

The friend that drove Hunter to the party left around 12:30am because he thought Hunter was staying the night. The last reported sighting of Hunter was between 12:30 and 1am. His cellphone pinged at 2:13am near 48th and Leonard - his phone would've had to be in a 2 mile range of that particular tower to have pinged there. That was the last activity on his phone. His phone and pocketknife have not been located. He could've still been at the party at this time because it was within that mile range.

This video shows the house and just how close the river is to the residence as well.

This is just a couple minutes away from me. There are a decent amount of bodies found in the Grand River. Sometimes found way down stream. There can also be really marshy deceiving areas that look walkable but aren't, especially in the dark. In my opinion I always have thought he got into an argument or physical altercation, losing his glasses at that time. Maybe he was hit in the head and disoriented or just disoriented after not having glasses and potentially drinking (imo) and he accidentally stumbled down to the water. However, I'm not sure how that would explain the movement of glasses from where the drone saw them to where they were actually found. Unless it was wind, critters, or maybe someone was going to dispose of them and changed their mind and put them back? All my opinion and theory of course. IF someone from the party knows something I do feel they will eventually crack or say something to someone else who will then come forward. I hope.

Edited for grammar

This is just a couple minutes away from me. There are a decent amount of bodies found in the Grand River. Sometimes found way down stream. There can also be really marshy deceiving areas that look walkable but aren't, especially in the dark. In my opinion I always have thought he got into an argument or physical altercation, losing his glasses at that time. Maybe he was hit in the head and disoriented or just disoriented after not having glasses and potentially drinking (imo) and he accidentally stumbled down to the water. However, I'm not sure how that would explain the movement of glasses from where the drone saw them to where they were actually found. Unless it was wind, critters, or maybe someone was going to dispose of them and changed their mind and put them back? All my opinion and theory of course. IF someone from the party knows something I do feel they will eventually crack or say something to someone else who will then come forward. I hope.

Edited for grammar
The more I read/watch, the more I think accident as well. When was the last time the Grand River was this high in your area? Is it like this every winter? How much will it recede by spring/summer? How far downstream & how long are people usually discovered? Sorry for the 20 questions, but you prob have best insight here!

That vid said water extremely high & fast. Water like that can sweep anyone away, but Hunter was also smaller in stature- 5’5” & 145 lbs. The fact that his hat & glasses were river-side is concerning.

I hope you are right about someone cracking if they know something. I grew up in a rural IA town about the same size, 4K-ish. Sometimes people can clam up for years to save face. Jmo

Happy 19th birthday, Hunter.

There is a search for Hunter happening March 7.

Here are the search details:
\With snow mostly melted and river down, we are setting up a search for Saturday, March 7th at 11am.

We will be searching areas closer to the party house and the river.

For this search:
-We are asking anyone that is willing to, please bring horses to help us search fields.

-We are asking for help from anyone that is experienced in Kayaking and willing to go on the river to help us search.

-We are asking for a few small boats that are willing to launch and help us search the river.

-We are asking if anyone experienced in magnet fishing would be willing to magnet fish in the river to maybe see if we can find his phone or pocket knife.

-We are asking if anyone has metal detectors they are willing to bring and help search.

-We are asking if anyone has drones that they are willing to use to help us search, we would really appreciate it.

‼️If you are a person that wants to go on the river with a boat or Kayak, please post on this page so we know how many we will have. Please do not plan to go out on the river without it being approved by us as we do not want to overcrowded the river and we want to make sure we keep everyone safe and accounted for. ‼️

Please post on here if you are planning to come with horses so we know how many we will have.

If you would like to help us search on land without boats or horses, we will definitely need as many people as we can to cover as much ground down the river and surrounding the party house.

Happy 19th birthday, Hunter.

There is a search for Hunter happening March 7.

Here are the search details:
\With snow mostly melted and river down, we are setting up a search for Saturday, March 7th at 11am.

We will be searching areas closer to the party house and the river.

For this search:
-We are asking anyone that is willing to, please bring horses to help us search fields.

-We are asking for help from anyone that is experienced in Kayaking and willing to go on the river to help us search.

-We are asking for a few small boats that are willing to launch and help us search the river.

-We are asking if anyone experienced in magnet fishing would be willing to magnet fish in the river to maybe see if we can find his phone or pocket knife.

-We are asking if anyone has metal detectors they are willing to bring and help search.

-We are asking if anyone has drones that they are willing to use to help us search, we would really appreciate it.

‼️If you are a person that wants to go on the river with a boat or Kayak, please post on this page so we know how many we will have. Please do not plan to go out on the river without it being approved by us as we do not want to overcrowded the river and we want to make sure we keep everyone safe and accounted for. ‼️

Please post on here if you are planning to come with horses so we know how many we will have.

If you would like to help us search on land without boats or horses, we will definitely need as many people as we can to cover as much ground down the river and surrounding the party house.
I hope they get every bit of the assistance they have asked for. I'm wondering if they've reached out to volunteer drone organizations. Do you know?

Happy Birthday, Hunter. Your family and friends are going to find you!
t4527.gif

Adding link in case anyone here is thinking of participating in the search or has any questions: Search Party for Hunter Klompstra - Hosted by Missing Hunter Klompstra

Very sad news today. A body has been found by the searchers in the Grand River near where Hunter went missing New Years Eve. LE is not confirming identity of the body yet, they will be doing an autopsy Monday morning and then will reveal more information after. But there is a very strong chance that it is Hunter. Praying for his family and friends, this must be so hard for them :(.

Body found in Grand River near spot where Hunter Klompstra went missing Jan. 1

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willowgirlz0
Back