MI MI - Joann Matouk-Romain, 55, Grosse Pointe Woods, 12 Jan 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think the prints near the water are hers. I think when she got out of church, someone she knew was near her car and stopped her to talk.

She thought someone else was taking money from her accounts, and then we see a family member was in trouble for check fraud....that seems like maybe he took some money from her and she noticed.

Has anyone looked into if he was in jail when she disappeared?
Could that be related somehow?

I don't think the prints near the water are hers. I think when she got out of church, someone she knew was near her car and stopped her to talk.

She thought someone else was taking money from her accounts, and then we see a family member was in trouble for check fraud....that seems like maybe he took some money from her and she noticed.

Has anyone looked into if he was in jail when she disappeared?
Could that be related somehow?

I also think she got into someone else's car. Someone she knew.
There were lots of people and probably other cars at the church that night for the service.
One more set of tire prints wouldn't have seemed odd.

I watched this episode of Unsolved Mysteries a few days ago. I definitely am not buying that she killed herself. Someone knew she was at church, and it was probably somebody that she knew well enough to either go with them somewhere in their car or to stop and talk to them while on her way to her own car.

But if her car had been at church, used to drive her to her death elsewhere, returned to church....then how were her keys zipped into her pocket when they found her body? And if she was taken away by another car, how did the witness see no car in the parking lot upon exiting church at 7:25? Something isn’t adding up.

I watched this episode of Unsolved Mysteries a few days ago. I definitely am not buying that she killed herself. Someone knew she was at church, and it was probably somebody that she knew well enough to either go with them somewhere in their car or to stop and talk to them while on her way to her own car.
Exactly. I don't think there is any possibility at all that it is a suicide.

But if her car had been at church, used to drive her to her death elsewhere, returned to church....then how were her keys zipped into her pocket when they found her body? And if she was taken away by another car, how did the witness see no car in the parking lot upon exiting church at 7:25? Something isn’t adding up.

You may recall per the Netflix series that she had a set of keys stolen (from her house). The family didn’t know where the keys went. That means the stolen second set of keys could be used to drive her car and body down river and bring back the car to the church parking lot.

Just watched this Unsolved Mysteries episode.

This is messed up. The timeline doesn't make any sense. You could argue that one person made a mistake, but in this case you have two groups who have to be diligent about time stamps at odds on paper about when things happened. If the car was registered to the daughter why did the officer go to the mother's house?

Does anyone have a copy of the original police report on the "abandoned vehicle"?

Just watched this Unsolved Mysteries episode.

This is messed up. The timeline doesn't make any sense. You could argue that one person made a mistake, but in this case you have two groups who have to be diligent about time stamps at odds on paper about when things happened. If the car was registered to the daughter why did the officer go to the mother's house?

Does anyone have a copy of the original police report on the "abandoned vehicle"?

Tim Matouk breaks silence 11 years after JoAnn Matouk Romain found dead in Detroit River (clickondetroit.com)

Family believes JoAnn Matouk Romain was murdered

GROSSE POINTE FARMS, Mich. – It’s been a mystery for 11 years since 55-year-old JoAnn Matouk Romain was found dead in the Detroit River 70 days after she disappeared following a church service she attended in Grosse Pointe Farms.

Police believed she walked into Lake St. Clair and killed herself. Her family believes she was murdered. Her daughter said that her mother got into a fight with her cousin, Tim Matouk, and for more than a decade they have accused him of having something to do with her death...

I watched it last week and then I watched it again last night. When the theory came up in the episode about her being switched into another car and that the car had moved. That screamed, "professional" to me. It seems as the way the show presented it. Where they parked the car in the wrong spot is the only outwardly visible clue. So I was like maybe someone hired someone to kidnap and hold her for ransom or something to threaten her brother. They mentioned he had financial issues and she would bail him out.

I thought someone waited for her in a dark catholic church at night that is only candle lit. I think she was holding her bag without the strap looking for keys. I think she found them, and was grabbed by her left arm. She had just found her keys. She pressed the alarm - or the alarm was on and it went off because whoever grabbed her didn't know the car had an alarm on it.

She also could have been held at gunpoint to drive. Maybe... was put in the trunk and then transferred to another car behind the church. There is a road right behind it... looks like a wrap around driveway for a hearse etc... to a graveyard. (If you look at the aerial they showed in the episode.)

She was transferred somehow. They moved the car back to the wrong place. And she was gone.

I completely forgot about the cousin being a cop. So last night I was looking at that for a bit. (1/2)

So since I was thinking professional. I looked up the Detroit Mob. Literally the first thing that comes up is Jack Tocco, who is from Gross Pointe, his title is "Mob Boss." Next to the yacht club a short ride on a boat to Boblo Island. He also had like 8 kids and 17 grandchildren. That is generations of the mob since the late 1800s. No one can tell me that they all are not aware of the mob being in their neighborhood for that long. With that many children and generations.
Dillinger a sort of hero bank robber from the depression area supposedly hid out there evading police in some cabin on Boblo Island.

In case anyone was wondering that substantial sum of money inheritance was $20,000,000. The brother owned a By contaminated land/Sell "cleaned" up land. A 70 million dollar business. That he apparently ran into the ground. Also it seems like real estate is the preferred way to launder money these days. 2/2

Evidence of Mob Activity link and attached:

shorturl.at/cnotC
The Pointes Of Contention: JoAnn Matouk Romain's Suspicious Death Was Most Likely A Murder - The Gangster Report

Attachments

January 12, 2022
Today marks 12 years since JoAnn Matouk Romain’s mysterious death (clickondetroit.com)
'It was Jan. 12, 2010 when a local mother disappeared after leaving an evening church service at St. Paul Catholic Church off Lake Shore Road in Grosse Pointe Farms. Seventy days later the body of JoAnn Matouk Romain was found, but that discovery brought even more questions, theories, and ideas of how she died, and if this was a case of murder.

In all my years as an investigative reporter there have been a few cases that left me bewildered, wondering what REALLY happened. The case of JoAnn Matouk Romain is one of those cases. Police believe she killed herself. Matouk Romain’s family believes their mother was murdered.

I reached out to JoAnn’s daughter Michelle this morning asking her how she felt today. Michelle has actively worked on her mother’s case. She’s hired private detectives and continues to try to figure out what happened that cold January night 12 years ago.''

First question I have - since the car keys were found in her jacket pocket...how did someone drive her car back to the church??
This whole case is off. From the Police to the Lexus to the events leading up to JoAnn's demise.
I hate to say this but Follow the Money. Death either brings family together or rips them apart. I think the latter fits this case.

Weeks before this incident, JoAnn mentioned she thinks she is being followed. Why would someone be following her? to get to know her routine. From what I know, doing surveillance can be done by anyone to anyone. Suspected her phone was tapped. Whom or what organization would be capable of this?

I would be looking at all family members, checking and double checking all their alibis and associates of the family members, especially those that were known to have a beef with JoAnn. Phone records might reveal something.

The fact that the Lexus was moved and keys found in her jacket, leads me to believe she was dumped. The Lexus was moved from the Church property. Witness remembers when she left the Church, the driveway was empty of cars. How, if the keys are in JoAnn's jacket? I do not believe JoAnn would walk down a steep embankment in winter with 4inch heels on that were not even scuffed up. Makes me think a second vehicle was involved at least.

The fact that JoAnn carried her purse on the Left side where bruises were found and said to have occurred before death, leads me to conclude that it was an attempt at bringing JoAnn down to the ground or maybe shoved into her car to gain control over her. One person to hold her down and the other person to drive her Lexus. A grown adult woman will fight an attacker if threatened.

If JoAnn was indeed being followed for weeks, this could have been the first time she was alone - to be grabbed.
Also, if those closest to JoAnn knew she never zipped up her coat, why was she found with her coat zipper done all the way up? Someone else did up her coat that did not know her intimately. And as a religious person, suicide is a sin. Even her rosary is missing. Doesn't make sense. Could the rosary be out there?

Are there toll bridges or toll interstates in Detroit or near Grosse Pointe Farms? Cross reference license plates of family or family friends of JoAnn.

Did police check investigate the Lexus for prints, fluids, blood or hair? Backseats, trunk. Did they ever go over it or just release it back to the family? The damaged purse was returned. It is almost as if this was planned and executed very well to look like a suicide but doesn't match to what suicidal people do.

And the whole family drama over the inheritance and aftermath, follow the money.
My thoughts to the family. Justice will prevail.

Lawsuit: Police conspired to cover-up 2010 murder of Grosse Pointe ...Unsolved Mysteries: What Happened to JoAnn Romain? Every UpdateJoAnn Matouk Romain 2010 death investigation - Grosse Pointe, MI
Joann Matouk-Romain, age 55, Murdered 12 January 2010

LINKS:

Last edited:
Having just seen this episode - sincere sympathies to JoAnn’s family especially her kids and very wide circle of friends. She seems like a lovely lady and u can see from her persona what a gap she would leave. There is no chance IMO this is a suicide. The inconsistencies for me that stood out instantly…..? The spare keys turning up at the police station after going “missing”. Her keys in a zipped coat pocket - where was she going to use them in the water ? Her feeling of being watched for weeks prior. No chance being the person she was of her well off background, and her fashionable appearance working in a high fashion boutique, would she have taken a ripped/visibly damaged handbag to church with he. Yes I believe it was ripped as the perpetrator grabbed her arm on leaving the church unlike what the dodgy looking cop with the moustache “Tim” claimed. (He looked like he was speaking and using body language in a very rehearsed, controlled way. With his hands positioned just so and too carefully in order to appear relaxed while being interviewed). Also No chance a devout rosary praying Catholic would commit suicide and in front of her own church ! Ridiculous attempt at a set up of a suicide. JoAnn had many loving family members and friends and was also clearly not depressed. Why would she keep her shoes on if she planned to enter the water and commit suicide ? Taking them off and walking barefoot while wading in would have made more sense as she would otherwise have been at risk to have slipped and broken her ankle and failed in the attempt A sloppy set up of a suicide with quite a few guilty ones involved. Time will reveal more - it always does, loyalties fade and telling the truth is the only thing that can set certain people free.

GROSSE POINTE FARMS, Mich. – It has been 14 years since JoAnn Matouk Romain disappeared after attending a church service in Grosse Pointe Farms. Her body was found in the Detroit River 70 days later.

JoAnn Matouk Romain was last seen on Jan. 12, 2010, at a prayer service at the Lake Catholic Church in Grosse Pointe Farms. Her car, with her purse, and wallet were found in the church parking lot.

Investigators said they followed footprints in the snow from the lot to Lake St. Clair. They searched the waters, but did not find her. Then, in March of that year, her body was found by fishermen in a channel of the Detroit River.

Police said they believed she killed herself by walking into Lake St. Clair. Her family believes she was murdered...

GROSSE POINTE FARMS, Mich. – A family still has unanswered questions 14 years after the death of a Metro Detroit mother.

JoAnn Matouk Romain was last seen on Jan. 12, 2010, at a prayer service at the Lake Catholic Church in Grosse Pointe Farms. Her car, with her purse, and wallet were found in the church parking lot.

Police believe the mother of three walked across the street and into Lake St. Clair to kill herself, but the family believes she was murdered and dumped in the water. She was found 70 days later with no water in her lungs. Autopsy reports called it a “dry drowning.”

People close to the case know the name Paul Hawk, who claimed he saw something the night she went missing.

“Paul was an honest person. He wouldn’t make anything up, wouldn’t embellish. And his story never varied,” said John Abood. “He really didn’t say much. He wanted to keep me out of the loop. He said it would protect me. He was fearful.”...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back