MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder if JT had a key to the main door of Julia's apartment when he was moving stuff into the apartment. Also, did JT have help from other people moving in the bed frame, box springs, mattress, and dressers in? These seem like large and heavy items for one person to carry. Could JT or someone else have made a copy of the key to the apartment at the local hardware store? Was Julia the only signer on the apartment lease (aside from the other roommates) or did parents need to co-sign as well?

Good questions that only JT or KT can answer...... I don't see that happening none too soon!

Good questions that only JT or KT can answer...... I don't see that happening none too soon!
I read the MLive article from November 13 this morning. It was a one year later type story with the family. Knowing what we know now it was rather galling to see them asking for people to cooperste while at the time unbeknown to most, JT had had an attorney for nearly 10 months and had chosen to not answer questions. It was rather odd.

The 30,000 images was the sum total of the images found on the computer, not the amount that prosecution was alleging to be *advertiser censored* IIRC. It was in the earliest articles regarding the child *advertiser censored* case (which by now should be a mute point since he was found innocent) IMO.

Not sure if you were referring to 30,000 or 300,000 images, but there was another Monroe County *advertiser censored* case that found an exorbitant amount of images, not related to JT case in any way that we know. Could we be getting them confused? (ETA.... I see you posted the article where you saw mention of 300,000 images on JT's computer.... all sorts of images).

Read more at: http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/mar/13/monroe-man-arrested-child-*advertiser censored*-charges/

In that case, up to 10 terabytes was committed to child *advertiser censored*; 1 terabyte can contain up to 300,000 average images

I am curious about something. What sort of things did JT help to put into the apartment for Julia? From the website for the complex, I thought they came furnished.... am I wrong? Or were they partially furnished and she still brought a lot of her own personal items?

.... example: http://ypsistudenthousing.com/floorplans
The fully furnished 4Bed/4Bath Standard floor plan features living/dining area, full-sized kitchen, private bedrooms, and private bathrooms. Each room is furnished with full-sized bed, study desk, and wardrobe dresser. Washer and dryer included in each unit!

I wonder too if the perpetrator lived in or worked for the building. It would explain why no one reported (?) anyone suspicious. If it were someone who worked for the building, or maybe a resident or visitor who was able to observe how to access the master keys, is one explanation for how entry to Julia's apartment was made.
I also think that a resident or employee would be familiar at least by sight, by most, if not all, residents. Some level of trust, however minimal, could be gained by a familiar neighbor or employee- someone familiar as a neighbor, even if that familiarity is made only in passing with small talk, a simple hello, smile, or nod of acknowledgement. Perhaps a neighbor would over time develop an unhealthy admiration, infatuation, resentment, or grudge towards another neighbor.

I didn't tell my family that I had a doctor's appointment the other day (which I wore yoga pants to btw) - does that mean I didn't have a doctor's appointment? (sorry to use the same example, but it fit here nicely).

Did you tell them you were going to a yoga class? Or did you just not mention your plans? The two are different IMHO.

Did you tell them you were going to a yoga class? Or did you just not mention your plans? The two are different IMHO.

A lie of omission vs outright deception, Skigirl? It's sweatpants weather here, not yet layering them with leggings. psyq, hope all went well with your appt., or was that just given as an example?

Not sure if you were referring to 30,000 or 300,000 images, but there was another Monroe County *advertiser censored* case that found an exorbitant amount of images, not related to JT case in any way that we know. Could we be getting them confused? (ETA.... I see you posted the article where you saw mention of 300,000 images on JT's computer.... all sorts of images).

Read more at: http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/mar/13/monroe-man-arrested-child-*advertiser censored*-charges/

In that case, up to 10 terabytes was committed to child *advertiser censored*; 1 terabyte can contain up to 300,000 average images

I am curious about something. What sort of things did JT help to put into the apartment for Julia? From the website for the complex, I thought they came furnished.... am I wrong? Or were they partially furnished and she still brought a lot of her own personal items?

The fully furnished 4Bed/4Bath Standard floor plan features living/dining area, full-sized kitchen, private bedrooms, and private bathrooms. Each room is furnished with full-sized bed, study desk, and wardrobe dresser. Washer and dryer included in each unit!
Very nice catch, Spellz.

I wonder too if the perpetrator lived in or worked for the building. It would explain why no one reported (?) anyone suspicious. If it were someone who worked for the building, or maybe a resident or visitor who was able to observe how to access the master keys, is one explanation for how entry to Julia's apartment was made.
I also think that a resident or employee would be familiar at least by sight, by most, if not all, residents. Some level of trust, however minimal, could be gained by a familiar neighbor or employee- someone familiar as a neighbor, even if that familiarity is made only in passing with small talk, a simple hello, smile, or nod of acknowledgement. Perhaps a neighbor would over time develop an unhealthy admiration, infatuation, resentment, or grudge towards another neighbor.
I have thought about the above. A friend's neice was murdered in her bed by someone who had a fixation towards her and she didn't have a clue. He waited for his chance and took the master key from the office one day when the gal in the office stepped away.

Interesting it was fully furnished. So JT could have moved other stuff by himself. Maybe small boxes of kitchen and bathroom stuff, bedding and clothing? Did he move the stuff in with a truck?

A lie of omission vs outright deception, Skigirl? It's sweatpants weather here, not yet layering them with leggings. psyq, hope all went well with your appt., or was that just given as an example?

I was actually thinking that the doctor's appointment that no one in the family knew about was a poor analogy. It would be one thing if JN hadn't mentioned her plans for the evening to her sisters -- it could just not have come up (presumably the reason that no one in the original poster's family knew about the doctor's appointment) -- but it was quite different telling them she was staying in to study.

It's possible that her plans changed, but coupled with her attire, I don't think so.

I was actually thinking that the doctor's appointment that no one in the family knew about was a poor analogy. It would be one thing if JN hadn't mentioned her plans for the evening to her sisters -- it could just not have come up (presumably the reason that no one in the original poster's family knew about the doctor's appointment) -- but it was quite different telling them she was staying in to study.

It's possible that her plans changed, but coupled with her attire, I don't think so.

Agreed, Skigirl, in addition to what one could construe as fishing around Julia for information, blocking out time, with the 6 am work appt, I get the impression that a possible search, with the missing keys, the radio on, then later the TV on, that the murderer was still looking for information or something, some loose end and may have come in and out, as the apartment cleared out. Somebody turned off the clock and then later turned on the TV.

Coming from history of abuse, tension, conflict, and moving out, perhaps if Julia knew her stepdad well, she knew him well enough to know that a relationship that would challenge his secrets could compromise him, possibly? Incest isn't the best calling card for a karate instructor in a small town, I would imagine.

Interesting it was fully furnished. So JT could have moved other stuff by himself. Maybe small boxes of kitchen and bathroom stuff, bedding and clothing? Did he move the stuff in with a truck?
Did he really move her? By the time I was a junior I was moving myself. Was this her first year at PP? Maybe Trojan knows if JT helped Julia move?

Did he really move her? By the time I was a junior I was moving myself. Was this her first year at PP? Maybe Trojan knows if JT helped Julia move?

Going off your post, gb, Julia had been living with her maternal grandmother prior to her move, IIRC. She lived at the apartment since her twin, who lived on campus attended the same school, so for a while, as Julia was set to graduate well after her twin.

Since both of them were living so close together, while they both went to the same school, in the same program, I can't imagine why they wouldn't share keys.

Could there have been more than one set of keys made that the twins shared at some point? If another set existed, why would they deny that it did?

It was said he claimed to have helped move her in, so things like storage boxes? Those are the type of things he expects his finger prints on? So, maybe in the length of time that Julia lived there, Turnquist, if he is involved, had been there before without gloves, without murder on his mind, looking through her boxes?

Going off your post, gb, Julia had been living with her maternal grandmother prior to her move, IIRC. And lived at the apartment since her twin, who lived on campus attended the same school, so for a while, as Julia was set the graduate well after her twin.
Since both of them were living so close together, while they both went to the same school, in the same program, I can't imagine why they wouldn't share keys.

Could there have been more than one set of keys made that the twins shared at some point? If another set existed, why would they deny that it did?

It was said he claimed to have helped move her in, so things like storage boxes? Those are the type of things he expects his finger prints on, so maybe in the length of time that Julia lived there, Turnquist, if he is involved, had been there before without gloves, without murder on his mind, looking through her boxes?

I was just thinking about the moving comment. First of all, most complexes have keys that ppl aren't able to make copies of. At least most of the ones I've lived in. They gave me two copies of a key and if I lost one, I had to pay the office for a replacement or lock change.

In reference to the moving and fingerprints, my family helps me move each time I move (which happens to be almost yearly since college, ha!) Maybe I'm just fortunate to have the help, but especially in college, most everyone I knew had their family helping them move in and out. I'm assuming she probably moved in August and this was now December. Prints may still appear on some things but would their ability to be read last for months? I really have no idea and I guess I thought overtime they would fade or be covered with dust or cleaned off through routine cleaning.

Interesting ....Curious about this and a quick Google search resulted in various answers, depending on type of surface, sweaty/dirty/wet/clean hands, etc. This site also said sometimes people don't even leave prints behind..

http://dci.sd.gov/ForensicLab/FAQ.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a but wierd that right off the bat he tells them his prints would be there, almost four months after the fact. I didn't see mention that KT and JN said the same. Was Kim not ever there?

I wondered if he really did move her in too, but no one from the family disagreed with his statement claiming he did in the affidavit. He said it was the only time he was in the apartment, to explain why his finger prints might be on something of Julia's. Other family members said they'd been to the apartment more than once.

I was just thinking about the moving comment. First of all, most complexes have keys that ppl aren't able to make copies of. At least most of the ones I've lived in. They gave me two copies of a key and if I lost one, I had to pay the office for a replacement or lock change.

In reference to the moving and fingerprints, my family helps me move each time I move (which happens to be almost yearly since college, ha!) Maybe I'm just fortunate to have the help, but especially in college, most everyone I knew had their family helping them move in and out. I'm assuming she probably moved in August and this was now December. Prints may still appear on some things but would their ability to be read last for months? I really have no idea and I guess I thought overtime they would fade or be covered with dust or cleaned off through routine cleaning.

Interesting ....Curious about this and a quick Google search resulted in various answers, depending on type of surface, sweaty/dirty/wet/clean hands, etc. This site also said sometimes people don't even leave prints behind..

http://dci.sd.gov/ForensicLab/FAQ.aspx

WB, monster, good to see you. Turnquist was in the cleaning business, dealing with all manner of keys, making copies may have been a routine part of his business.

It depends where exactly his finger prints were found and if he had any reason to be touching those things in the span of time since Julia had moved into her off-campus year round apartment, I think. Not in and out like campus living, thus her own space for a while.

I think JT & KT helped her move as JT has a full size pick-up with a canvas cover over the bed. But as far as "moving her in", I believe that Julia had this same apartment the year before. When school started on 2012, she had two new roommates move in. So I'm not sure why JT would say anything about helping her move in! She moved in in the fall of 2011!
I know that KT was frequently at Julia's apartment.

I think JT & KT helped her move as JT has a full size pick-up with a canvas cover over the bed. But as far as "moving her in", I believe that Julia had this same apartment the year before. When school started on 2012, she had two new roommates move in. So I'm not sure why JT would say anything about helping her move in! She moved in in the fall of 2011!

Thanks for adding this, Trojan. I assume residents did not have to leave in the summer, or would at least leave their things in the apartment if they were coming back after any summer visits. That is a strange comment by JT, it seems.

Going off your post, gb, Julia had been living with her maternal grandmother prior to her move, IIRC. She lived at the apartment since her twin, who lived on campus attended the same school, so for a while, as Julia was set to graduate well after her twin.

It was said he claimed to have helped move her in, so things like storage boxes? Those are the type of things he expects his finger prints on? So, maybe in the length of time that Julia lived there, Turnquist, if he is involved, had been there before without gloves, without murder on his mind, looking through her boxes?

I think a spare key to the apartment is possible and its more likely than a copy of the Master key because those master keys are well protected usually. Locksmiths and places that make keys don't allow duplicates of masters to be created. If you ever see one it will have "Do not duplicate" printed on the master key. Places that make keys are always on the lookout for those and they never allow duplicates of the masters to be made. I think there could be some law against it or something.

So usually the only way to get a master key to apartments is by stealing one from the apartment manager or a maintenance man.

So if another key was used then I would think it would be a regular duplicate key to the apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor