MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@black_squirrel and all, I would like to enlist you to help me with a data project. I came across a pretty amazing resource, but need help in digging through it and running some tableau tables. I did a quick one isolating female homicides in Washentaw County from 2010-2021 and discovered there were 14 in total. Two victims were 19, two victims were 23 (we know who one was), and the rest all diff. ages. 90% of the time, a suspect was identified at the time of the homicide.

Please help me uncover insights with this terrific tool if you have time. I'm looking for insights that will uncover patterns and inform further research. Much appreciated!

Editing to add that the tableau tables are super simple to use. You just check boxes and away you go. It's *what* you want to look at and compare that requires the brain power, but the tool is easy-peasy.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Source for this post:
Murder Accountability Project

https://www.murderdata.org

I would like to share some interesting findings from a report prepared by Thomas Hargrove, from the “Murder Accountability Project”. You can find his entire powerpoint presentation at:
Murder Accountability Project
In this study, Thomas Hargrove is looking at potential serial clusters in the Chicago area

While Ypsilanti has much different demographics than Chicago, there are some learnings for us to ponder in Mr. Hargrove’s data study of potential serial killer clusters in the Chicago area. It helps us when considering Julia’s case, and whether her murder was perpetrated by a serial killer, or not.

While we don’t know if Julia’s killer is a serial killer, I have always had an amateur speculation that the Perp is. However, there are some interesting points made in this report to consider when pondering that amateur speculation. The big caveat here, is that the area studied (Chicago) includes a high percentage of victims that fall in the realm of having participated in illegal work and activities. None the less, the study's author suggest that at least in the Chicago area, serial killers choose victims who fall in to that category as they are easy prey, and likely for other reasons as well.

Here are some findings from Mr. Hargrove’s report that I think are valuable to consider:

In his study of 1,012 potential serial cases that may be part of a serial killer cluster, strangulations or asphyxiations represented approx. 6% of cases, or 61 deaths. Firearms was ranked #1 at 478 cases, and knife or cutting instrument as number two at 185 cases. Drowning was the lowest at 1 case. Combined, as in Julia’s case (asphyxiation and drowning), it would appear that murder signature ranks low in potential serial clusters, at least in this study.

In serial aspects, 94% of victims were recovered outdoors or in abandoned buildings.
3/4 of homicides had clear sexual components; signs of sexual activity, ripped clothes, etc.
In this serial cluster study, victims disproportionately had histories of sex work, illicit drug use, or both. Serial killers have historically recognized preference for victims who fit this profile.
Recovery sites are typically abandoned buildings, vacant lots, trash receptacles

Recommendations from the Murder Accountability Project
-Additional testing of evidence
-“Murder books” from cases should be assembled in one location; assume cases are linked; look for commonalities
-Methodical review of DNA. All samples must be reviewed; not just swabs from private areas
-Skin under victims fingernails must be tested quickly
-Strongly encourage attempting familial DNA matches using open source databases
-In consultation with FBI, consider new techniques to pull DNA from difficult materials and surfaces. Consider M-Vac* and other technologies
-Aggressive review of CODIS hits, esp. homicides that link to other crimes like sexual assaults. Some police departments have made errors in following up on CODIS data
-Killer likely already know to L.E. Look for survivors who can provide description

*M-Vac: It is a sterile wet-vacuum. Collection solution is sprayed onto the surface while simultaneously being vacuumed off of the surface. It creates a "mini-hurricane" that loosens the DNA material which is transferred to the collection bottle and later concentrated onto a filter. Here is a short video describing the M-Vac™
Source: https://www.m-vac.com/why-mvac/how-it-works#:~:text=It%20is%20a%20sterile%20wet,describing%20the%20M%2DVac™.

What does all this mean? I don’t have all the facts and evidence to review in Julia’s case, nor do I have the expertise to draw any professional conclusions. My amateur opinion, if we isolate the study from the Murder Accountability project, is that at face value, Julia’s case doesn’t fit within the profile of a serial killer. What gives me pause, is the extent of the brutality of her murder (as I understand it), as well as the reported time he took and the methodical approach. That doesn’t sound like a novice to me.

Regardless, I hope those of you who remain committed to seeing JUSTICE FOR JULIA, will have found this info interesting, and will visit the Murder Accountability page to dig in to more data and info.

4,015 days.

It’s been 4,015 days since Julia Niswender was murdered.

That’s been 4,015 days that her family has cried, prayed, and begged for help in finding her murderer. In 4015 days the Sun’s magnetic field has gone through a complete solar cycle, we have had three U.S. Presidents, a global pandemic, and the Chicago Cubs won the World Series for the first time in 108 years. But still, no JUSTICE FOR JULIA NISWENDER or her family.

4,015 days.

It has now been over eleven long years and still no real progress. The Ypsilanti Police Department (YPD) refuses any "outside "assistance from any organization. Why do they refuse help? We all know that there were some very telling mistakes made early on in the investigation but why have they refused help? Is this a "coverup" for their mistakes? We as a family would like to see final resolution to ensure this does not happen to anyone else and have the devastating results Julia's murder has had on our family for so long. We have done everything within our power to assist YPD and did have some hope that when a new Chief of Police was selected, we would see some progress made. That has not been the case, the new Chief has only talked to my daughter, Kim, once. Kim has called for some "updates" but he never returns her calls. The YPD is in shambles and as of today, if you check their roster, there is no detective listed! Here's the website: Staff Directory • Ypsilanti, MI • CivicEngage
I have called YPD (Main Office: (734) 483-9510) and using their menu, selected the option for the Detective Bureau (#4) and could not even leave a message as "the mailbox is full and cannot accept any messages at this time"!
Is this the way to run a police department? I hate to say this, but Julia was murdered in the wrong city! We will never get justice unless YPD changes the way they do business.

As a suggestion, your family can attend the Mayor's city council meetings to address this concern in a public forum.
"City Council Meetings are held at the City Council Chambers at City Hall on the first and third Tuesdays of every month at 7 p.m. and additionally as needed."
Be factual, and specific with your ask of them. The press would likely be interested in attending this meeting as well, IWT?

Nothing makes a cop look like a podunk cop MORE than refusing outside help. Especially after 10 years. Where the hell are you Ypsilanti PD? Can’t the FBI step in at some point or do they have to be invited?

Angry imo
The FBI or any outside organization must be invited or approached by the Ypsilanti Police Department. They have jurisdiction and in Michigan, they must request help. I have emailed the Attorney General as well as the Governor. They cannot help!

The FBI or any outside organization must be invited or approached by the Ypsilanti Police Department. They have jurisdiction and in Michigan, they must request help. I have emailed the Attorney General as well as the Governor. They cannot help!
Go to a city meeting and take the press with you.

Nancy Grace did a show on Julia's case along with interviewing her mother, Kim. I'm still hoping for justice for Julia. Enough time has passed. The entire episode is just on Julia. Kim does address where her husband, Jim was at the time of the murder, she calls it "absurd" to consider Jim a suspect. Interesting interview, IMO.

Moo;Moo.

Nancy Grace did a show on Julia's case along with interviewing her mother, Kim. I'm still hoping for justice for Julia. Enough time has passed. The entire episode is just on Julia. Kim does address where her husband, Jim was at the time of the murder, she calls it "absurd" to consider Jim a suspect. Interesting interview, IMO.

Moo;Moo.
The problem I have is that Kim and her other daughters have the tendency to make it about Jim rather than focusing on Julia and getting justice for her. Also the stepfather threatened to take his own life when his laptop was seized, so the CP charge doesn't come across as a misunderstanding to me IMO.

Last edited:
The Nancy Grace video did get public exposure to Julia's case. Unfortunately, there were many false or incomplete facts presented during the video. I won't elaborate but just say there should have been better in-depth research done by her team prior to posting it.

Hi All, Here's a short update on Julia's case. Julia's mom, Kimberly, is currently undergoing treatment for leukemia. She has been fighting this since August of 2023. Concerning Julia's case..... On March 11th, we had a meeting with Chief Moore. My wife, Linda, and Rose (Julia's grandmother) attended this meeting. It was nice to talk to him face to face. He said he would keep us informed of any progress in the investigation. YPD has many "problems" and is short staffed but he is tackling all of this. Since the meeting, I have emailed him on April 14th, 18th and May 2nd. I have yet to receive a reply to any of these emails! I will be traveling to Michigan near the end of the month and will try to set up another meeting with him. Wish me luck!

Hi All, Here's a short update on Julia's case. Julia's mom, Kimberly, is currently undergoing treatment for leukemia. She has been fighting this since August of 2023. Concerning Julia's case..... On March 11th, we had a meeting with Chief Moore. My wife, Linda, and Rose (Julia's grandmother) attended this meeting. It was nice to talk to him face to face. He said he would keep us informed of any progress in the investigation. YPD has many "problems" and is short staffed but he is tackling all of this. Since the meeting, I have emailed him on April 14th, 18th and May 2nd. I have yet to receive a reply to any of these emails! I will be traveling to Michigan near the end of the month and will try to set up another meeting with him. Wish me luck!
wishing Kimberly good health

I’m
Sorry to hear of Julia’s mom’s illness. It unconscionable to ignore emails from victims’ families, no matter how busy you are, or how many emails you get. He could at least send a short note and acknowledge your email and say he is very sorry to report that there is no new news.

I recall I posted about another Michigan "bathtub murder" somewhere upthread, but I don't think it was this one I'm posting about today. Where was this man in 2012? Dearborn is less than 30 mins from Ypsilanti. Worth looking in to.

I recall I posted about another Michigan "bathtub murder" somewhere upthread, but I don't think it was this one I'm posting about today. Where was this man in 2012? Dearborn is less than 30 mins from Ypsilanti. Worth looking in to.

If this person was charged, then his DNA profile would be in CODIS. Unfortunately, the DNA for Julia's case has not had a match to my knowledge.

If this person was charged, then his DNA profile would be in CODIS. Unfortunately, the DNA for Julia's case has not had a match to my knowledge.
That assumes the DNA from the latex gloves left at the scene weren’t “planted”, or that they were the only viable DNA collected?

Meaning, I’m not so sure what was collected at Julia’s crime scene was truly the Perp’s.
I don’t think we know for sure? IWT what was found on her body was more likely the Perp’s, but I seem to recall something about those samples being weak, or compromised.
It’s been a long time, so my recollection could be wrong.

My main point is that if the crime scene was staged with the gloves, you likely would not be getting a CODIS hit.

I have come to believe the Perp has more than an amateur understanding of crime scenes and forensics.

Amateur opinion and speculation.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stouts4life