MI MI - Kim Larrow, 15, Canton, June 1981

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Thanks, great article. I do wonder if after leaving friends at the ice cream store, on the way to the party stop that she went home; had an argument with her mother that turned physical; mother killed her. Why else would the mother keep refusing to cooperate? Had the mother not done that I would think maybe she got a ride from the wrong person.

A chronic runaway who liked to hitchhike and hang with a tough, party crowd, the 15-year-old wasn't reported missing for several days after she vanished in the summer of 1981, and her mother refused to cooperate with investigators...

..The most chilling hurdle though, family and authorities claim, was the lack of initiative from Larrow's mother, who waited days to report the girl missing and has refused to cooperate with investigators or submit DNA.

Why on Earth didn't she have a Social Security number?:tos:

SS#'s were given when a person worked, not given when born like now. That is a fairly new process. I got mine back around 1980 after I got my working papers at high school (age 15). You needed one to get paid by the employer.

They gave me the SS form when I had my son in 1985, that was the 1st time I had seen it given at birth. I do not think it was mandatory though. When I had my daughter in 1993 I think it had to be mailed within 30 days of birth. Now I think you have to hand it in at the hospital. I wondered what laws are with babies born at home. It looks like you have to have a SS card in order to claim them on your taxes, so unless someone is doing that or applying for welfare, I'm not seeing any specific laws yet that you have to get one for your newborn within a certain time.

It seems that the family either know she is dead or assume so. The grandmother's obituary from 2015 at http://www.starkfuneral.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=1608389 lists Kim as having predeceased her grandmother (as has her father, Arnold A Larrow, who died in 2005). Given the reported attitude of the mother I would have been unsurprised at this assumption on the mothers side of the family. It seems a little more significant that the fathers side evidently believe she is dead, although Robert Cooper - another grandchild on this side - is the cousin that has been actively searching for her. In the 2005 obituary of Arnold Larrow, Kim was described as surviving her father (https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=YAQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3533,1206175&hl=en) so it seems the view of the fathers family changed after his death. I do wonder if Kim made any contacts through her fathers business (running a bar) which could have either led her into trouble or helped her disappear, and whether LE looked into this area.

I am still unsure whether this is a runaway case or worse.

The Stroh's Ice cream parlor was in a strip mall on Ford Rd. The 31 Flavors is still at Ann Arbor Rd at Sheldon.

Some news reports say she was at one, some say the other. I spent the morning searching through the online archive for the Canton newspaper (all of June and July) and there isn't anything about her disappearance.

Thanks for the information. There's still a strip mall on the NW corner of Ford & Sheldon, so maybe that's where the Stroh's parlor was.

Yes, but it isn't likely. I think she was probably murdered the day she disappeared. I suspect her mother.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightUSA/ar/t13756.htm

There are several articles here, some are duplicates of the ones posted here.

But a couple things I haven't seen pointed out yet:

One of the articles described her picture as a preteen photo that was the only one they had. She was 15 when she went missing so she probably looked significantly different from her photo. I wish there was a more recent one.

Her mother was quoted as saying she wasn't much of a disciplinarian and that she always told her kids that they didn't have to do anything they didn't want to do. She had run away a couple weeks before her final disappearance and the police picked her up in Florida. Kim's mother smiled when recalling this, according to one of the articles.

i am still wondering, if she had only been living with her mother for a couple weeks and some of that time was spent as a runaway in Florida, how did she meet these friends, the one who worked at the ice cream shop and the ones she was supposed to meet at the park? She hadn't even had a chance to start school there yet, it was still summer.

I'm guessing Kim is somewhere along Hines Drive. :(
It's possible, but the entire area (the western parts of Canton Township and Plymouth Township, Salem Township, Superior Township, Northville) were still extremely rural into the mid '90's. (I can't speak to what the area was link in '81 specifically.) Someone disposing of a body would have had quite a few options. I still suspect Kim's mother, Lucy Larrow, but of course I can't be sure.

Do we know whether Lucy had a boyfriend at the time Kim disappeared?

I believe she had remarried (well, she did eventually) I recall that when the press reached out to her about Kim's case, he answered the (door? call?) and said it was "too painful" to discuss.

I hate to think her mom had anything to do with it.
Teen girls clash with their moms, it's a tale as old as time.

[h=1]LIVE: Officials resume dig in Macomb Township where several bodies could be buried[/h]
MACOMB TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Digging will resume Tuesday in Macomb Township as authorities search for clues in several cold cases dating back to the 1970s.

Crews are set to return to work about 7 a.m. for a second day of digging on a property near 23 Mile Road and North Avenue. The area is wooded and situated along the North Branch Clinton River.
Officials said they expect to find something Tuesday. They believe as many as six bodies could be buried in the same location.
Now authorities are working on a tip to search that same area in connection to three other cold cases that may be connected to Ream:

• The case of 12-year-old Kimberly King, from Warren, who disappeared in 1979
  • The disappearance of Kellie Brownlee, from Novi, when she was 17 in 1982
  • The case of Kim Yarrow, who disappeared from Canton Township in 1981, when she was 15
Their remains could be buried along this wooded riverbank in Macomb Township.
https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...township-where-several-bodies-could-be-buried

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back