GUILTY MI - Mariha Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Early reports indicated that Konesha's boyfriend is the brother of Quanita's boyfriend, which would make him Cheatham's brother. Was that confirmed? IIRC, we haven't seen nor heard from him during this investigation. Wondering if he looks a lot like his brother and if possibly that was part of the delay in positively identifying Darnell Cheatham in the surveillance video (assuming it's Darnell Cheatham, which appears to be the case).

I'm sure Detroit PD is all over this one. I would just hate to see anybody who had any involvement or knowledge of what happened to Mariha be walking the streets with other children. I hope Cheatham sings like a canary, but doubt he will...

What could be the possible motive for killing an innocent child???? If there wasn't any evidence of sexual assault then what could cause a coward to do this???

Re: Mariha's father. In one of the early reports about the little girl's disappearance, the news anchor asked about Mariha's dad. The on-site reporter responded that "Mariha's father had not been in her life for a while" or something to that effect. I got the impression that Konesha knew who fathered Mariha and that the dad knew about the child but wasn't involved in her life. jmo

I'm glad someone is answering for this horrendous crime. I was starting to think that no one would.

I hope this case goes to trial quickly and Cheatham and others involved are severely punished for what they did to little Mariha...

4. Was there really some ongoing feud between Konesha (and/or the rest of the family) and some man or group of people as was originally speculated by the family as the motive? Or, was that something conjured up by Quanita or someone else in the family to deflect attention from those in the house?

5. What, if anything, did the the altercation at the vigil have to do with Mariha's demise?

6. Was this a sexually motivated crime for Cheatham (for himself), a drug trade to someone else, or some kind of revenge aimed at Konesha?

Rest in peace angel Mariha...

Very respectfully edited. Family feuds, disruptive altercations at high-profile events, revenge among family members, etc. are not as unusual as some might think. There are frequent shootings/killings in Detroit but not all reach the high-profile status of Mariha's murder.

A woman whom I employed to clean my home some years ago was from an ethnic group known locally for owning party stores. I had heard about a shooting at a party store in a small Detroit suburb during which the owner was killed. My cleaning lady came the following day and asked me if I had heard about the shooting. I told her that I had, and she said that the victim was her brother-in-law!

I was shocked that she showed up to clean my house when her sister and nieces, nephews were grieving the loss of husband/father. She shrugged her shoulders and said that she needed the money and that this was not unexpected due to "bad blood" :eek: It's almost as if these shootings are an everyday occurence and no one really cares. The funeral was two days later at the (ethnic group) Catholic church that's about a mile from my home.

That picture with the doves being released is just beautiful.

It is really beautiful. The whole ceremony is striking in the photos. I remember the owner of the funeral home making a statement that many many people were coming forward to assist the family with the final arrangements and donations. The community did a wonderful job honoring Mariha...

Rest peacefully Mariha. What a beautiful and very touching way to celebrate your life - you are an angel princess.

Wow, just got through reading the entire thread! What a beautiful child! She just absolutely radiated vigor, beauty. Those eyes are just huge and seem to smile as much as her mouth does! Amongst all of these horrible, devastating cases I am so very thankful that the PD was able to apprehend this unspeakably mean and evil man. If anyone else is knowledgeable I hope they are apprehended as well. I love nothing more than I love justice being served for these gorgeous innocents.

Blessings to all that were involved in the arrest of this man!

Sweet Mariha, may peace be with you!

What could be the possible motive for killing an innocent child???? If there wasn't any evidence of sexual assault then what could cause a coward to do this???

A drunken drug induced rage? It's pure speculation, but we know a party was going on and we know some people are angry drunks or while drugs. The ME has never stated publically if the skull injury was post mortem or not. That may be a clue, but unsure if it would be released until this gets to trial.

jmo

Please continue here:

mariha.png

Thread #1

The updated article indicates that family members did indeed tell LE that the man in the gas station video was Darnell Cheatham right away. Maybe LE had some strategy in claiming they had no idea and continuing to ask for the public's help in identifying the man (let him get comfortable and slip up, pressure him into needing to retrieve evidence... guesses). Appears he might have hit the road after he and Quanita were released from questioning early on as the article says they "located" him and raided his house. I suspect it was no accident that it was done while the community was focused on the lovely funeral...

Also appears Quanita is still on the run and held equally responsible by family and friends, at least according to those interviewed for the article below. No warrant out for her?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...se:-person-of-interest-arrested-20110805-wpms
snipped:
It wasn't until investigators released a video of a man buying 41 cents of gasoline two blocks from where Mariha's body was found did they start to get some answers. Family members recognized him.

"I knew there was a reason I didn't like him," said Dominique Poole, an aunt.

"When I (saw) it at the police station, I told them that was him," she responded.

On the same day family and friends said goodbye to the little girl, police located Cheatham and arrested him. Sources also tell FOX 2 they obtained a search warrant and raided his home.

The girlfriend, Quanita Smith, Mariha's aunt and her mother's own sister, hasn't been seen or heard from in days.

"Without her, none of this would've been possible," Gibbs said. "I don't know what to think. I just want to know why. What's the purpose? What was the reason for you to do that?"

"For her, all I got to say is I hope you rot in hell, really, both of (them)," said Poole.

BBM
---------------------------------------------
P.s. Cubby, I was surprised that Darnell Cheatham is only 20 too. Was unable to find any confirmation of Quanita's age; she appeared much older in the televised interviews early on imo...

A part of me can't help but wonder if Quanita is missing not because she is in hiding but because someone "took care" of her to keep her quiet..

I just want to know WHY this beautiful little girl with the sunshine in her smile was killed.

:banghead:

A part of me can't help but wonder if Quanita is missing not because she is in hiding but because someone "took care" of her to keep her quiet..

Interesting thought. If someone did "take care of her", the list of possible suspects is probably long. Known perp, possibly yet to be identified perp(s) and accomplice(s), victim's family members and friends... Lots of possible motives.

I think she's probably alive and will be a witness against at least Darnell, but wouldn't be too surprised if she has disappeared...

Anyone know if Quanita has children?

Interesting thought. If someone did "take care of her", the list of possible suspects is probably long. Known perp, possibly yet to be identified perp(s) and accomplice(s), victim's family members and friends... Lots of possible motives.

I think she's probably alive and will be a witness against at least Darnell, but wouldn't be too surprised if she has disappeared...

Anyone know if Quanita has children?

Her FB states 3 children. Wonder who has them?

Her FB states 3 children. Wonder who has them?

Thanks for finding the info about her children.. I wonder who has them as well.

If Quanita and the kids were all suddenly gone and no one claims to know where they're located, I'm more inclined to believe Quanita is in hiding with assistance. There doesn't appear to be a warrant out for her arrest and she was let go after failing a poly and being questioned. I think she soon after spilled the beans to the PD and gave up Darnell to save her butt. She will be a witness against him at trial imo.

If instead Q just up and split and the kids were left in Detroit with their father(s) or relatives, could be something more nefarious happened to keep her quiet or she just got the heck out of dodge. This is one unpopular lady...

Interested to see how this develops...

ETA: Gosh I hope Q's kids weren't abused DC and/or Q. So many victims...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back