MI - Middle school assistant principal charged with home invasion, Troy, 24 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

cybervampira

Reaction score
Middle school assistant principal charged with home invasion in Troy

Assistant principal Amy Buchanan works at Smith Middle School in Troy. Friday she was caught red handed breaking into a student’s home, she was after prescription pills and money.

But, some parents having sympathy for the woman saying clearly Mrs. Buchanan has a problem.

“I feel sad for her because she’s a really nice person,” parent Tara Walters said.

Troy Police say she had dropped a student off at this home near Square Lake and Livernois then came back later Friday afternoon looking for prescription pills and money.

upload_2018-8-26_14-1-50.jpegupload_2018-8-26_14-3-9.jpegupload_2018-8-26_14-2-52.jpegupload_2018-8-26_14-7-45.jpeg

She graduated from Adrian in 1994 with a bachelor's degree in education and is enshrined in the college's Athletic Hall of Fame as "the first superstar in the sport of women’s soccer at Adrian College."
upload_2018-8-26_14-4-31.jpeg
Buchanan, who has two dogs (Lucy and Henry), is an active volunteer at the Animal Welfare Society of Southeastern Michigan, a Madison Heights nonprofit that operates a no-kill shelter.

Buchanan has been placed on administrative leave. She was charged with second-degree home invasion Saturday morning.

The Case of the Middle School Assistant Principal Charged with Home Invasion

Troy middle school assistant principal arrested for home invasion

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-26_14-4-24.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-26_14-4-24.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 5
She's "Ms." Buchanan - not married. Her parents live in my subdivision. There was a lot of activity at the home last night, but we didn't know what was going on until this morning. If Ms. Buchanan has a substance abuse problem, I hope she gets the help she needs. Sad situation.

Last edited:
December 10, 2018 Court Docket: Judge Cheryl A. Matthews
01:30 PRETRIAL 2018-268468-FH PEOPLE vs BUCHANAN,AMY,LEE

If there's a live stream link available for the court appearance, I will post.

Attorney: Former assistant principal charged in Troy break-in is victim of opioid crisis

A former assistant middle school principal charged with breaking into a house last summer was ensnared in the opioid crisis, developing an addiction to painkillers because doctors over-prescribed them and failed to monitor her, her attorney claims...
So...the opioid crisis and her doctor are to blame and she is an innocent victim who bears no responsibility for her crime (according to her lawyer)?

smh

So...the opioid crisis and her doctor are to blame and she is an innocent victim who bears no responsibility for her crime (according to her lawyer)?

smh

I don’t think the article said anything about Amy Buchanan bearing no responsibility for her crime. Since she has been through treatment successfully, one of the things she should have learned in treatment is to take responsibility for this crime. But that doesn’t necessarily have to be done through a prison sentence. She has lost her job and ruined her career. I expect at least a sizable fine, extensive community service and perhaps a short time in jail would send the appropriate message.

Even First Lady Betty Ford became addicted to pain meds (and alcohol) requiring an intervention by her family and a stint in rehab. The truth is, there are plenty of basically decent people unwittingly ensnared by opioids and then cut off abruptly as Buchanan was. They need help. They obviously can’t go around breaking into houses and stealing as this assistant principal did. But making an example of her by putting her in prison isn’t going to make a dent in a very complex opioid crisis. Having her speak at middle schools and high schools as part of her sentence might help a little.
JMO

How Betty Ford’s Daughter Staged an Intervention to Save Her Mom’s Life

I don’t think the article said anything about Amy Buchanan bearing no responsibility for her crime. Since she has been through treatment successfully, one of the things she should have learned in treatment is to take responsibility for this crime. But that doesn’t necessarily have to be done through a prison sentence. She has lost her job and ruined her career. I expect at least a sizable fine, extensive community service and perhaps a short time in jail would send the appropriate message.

Even First Lady Betty Ford became addicted to pain meds (and alcohol) requiring an intervention by her family and a stint in rehab. The truth is, there are plenty of basically decent people unwittingly ensnared by opioids and then cut off abruptly as Buchanan was. They need help. They obviously can’t go around breaking into houses and stealing as this assistant principal did. But making an example of her by putting her in prison isn’t going to make a dent in a very complex opioid crisis. Having her speak at middle schools and high schools as part of her sentence might help a little.
JMO

How Betty Ford’s Daughter Staged an Intervention to Save Her Mom’s Life

JMO
This may not be a popular opinion but the way the Government is handling the prescription Opiod crisis is going to cause many similar types of crimes. What they have done is forced doctors to abide by new prescribing limits and the patients are the ones suffereing right now. The limits and guidelines that Doctors are forced to follow are incredibly low limits compared to what they used to be. Its fine for new patients but people that were already on a certain limit cannot be expected to be able to just be cutoff of what they were used to. Not with a physically dependent medicine.

And Im mainly talking about the patients that really need pain management therapies like cancer patients and elderly patients suffering in nursing homes with severe arthritis and things like that. As well as people like this principal who was being cut off by their doctor after having long term prescriptions her body was relying on.

This is a prediction I have had that we are starting to see come true now. I predict we are going to see many more of these types of cases where desparate people are going to resort to robbing pharmacies and doing really stupid things because of how the Government is mishandling the Opiod crisis.

I have heard horror stories already of elderly people in nursing homes screaming out and acting out because they have been cutoff of their physically dependent medicine that they have taken for years.

There are better ways to have handled what the government wanted to accomplish. There are some medicines like Suboxin that they could have given patients to handle the slow reduction or elimination of the medicines they were on. They also could have had a weaning off period and slowly reduce the patients medicine and not do it all at once. Some doctors surprised their paitents one day and just cut them off.

Its been a totally mismanaged situation created by our Government. They had the right idea but the way they went about it has been awful. And the patients are the ones suffering. And we are starting to see the repercussions of the mismanagement.

There will be more of these kinds of stories I am afraid.

All JMO of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back