MI - Neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, found fatally shot during welfare check, Detroit, Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.thedailybeast.com/was-beloved-detroit-doc-devon-hoover-really-killed-by-someone-he-knew

M [Dr's personal friend] < > said he personally pressed police to release more information about the killing, but they told him they were holding information back so they could validate witnesses.

He doesn’t think Hoover’s killer knew him at all. If he did, it likely wasn’t a close relationship < >

M believes police insisted Hoover’s death was a domestic incident to “appease the public” and prevent panic < >

“... if the killer knew him, then we likely know the killer,”

< > especially surprising because he’d invested in a great home security system.

In a phone call last week, Detroit police spokesperson Dayna Clark:

The murder case “is not cold by no means,” she said.

... reward of $22,500 for information that leads to an arrest

https://www.thedailybeast.com/was-beloved-detroit-doc-devon-hoover-really-killed-by-someone-he-knew

M [Dr's personal friend] < > said he personally pressed police to release more information about the killing, but they told him they were holding information back so they could validate witnesses.

He doesn’t think Hoover’s killer knew him at all. If he did, it likely wasn’t a close relationship < >

M believes police insisted Hoover’s death was a domestic incident to “appease the public” and prevent panic < >

“... if the killer knew him, then we likely know the killer,”

< > especially surprising because he’d invested in a great home security system.

In a phone call last week, Detroit police spokesperson Dayna Clark:

The murder case “is not cold by no means,” she said.

... reward of $22,500 for information that leads to an arrest
I know this from being a true crime junkie, detectives often jump to conclusions- exhibit bias and make snap judgements-- More often than they would like to think, a murder is random- sure they have to look at those closest to the victim, but too often they lose focus and concentrate on one person, maybe two, to the exclusion of others. IMO this is why cases go cold. I sure hope they find the killer in this case sooner than later. This man was beloved: a total innocent.

We need a verified contact to help us with these questions. It seems his closest friends are being silent while investigators continue working.

The home is over 13,000 sq ft including a finished basement. It is in one of those basement windows where the breakin occurred after his death and before burial in IN. The broken window was quickly shown in a MSM video when the family arrived following Devon's funeral service.

From researching photos of the famous Benjamin Siegel mansion in which he lived, the "attic" is actually the 3rd floor that originally served as the servant's quarters for the original owner.

The 3rd floor has its own set of stairs leading down into the kitchen. The third floor has a ballroom that was converted from a portion of the original 3rd floor living space. The 3rd floor also has a door that exits onto a patio that has a speaker for piping music while, perhaps, star gazing. (Click on the last two links for more images.)

This is an odd set of circumstances since the Police are tight lipped. We don't officially know what make, model or color vehicle the good doctor drove that was located abandoned by the killer.

A Peek Into Detroit's Benjamin Siegel House

BBM It is in one of those basement windows where the breakin occurred after his death and before burial in IN. The broken window was quickly shown in a MSM video when the family arrived following Devon's funeral service.

Wait??? His home was broken into AFTER his death ?? I must have missed this. I am trying to catch up !!

So--was somebody Looking for something specifically ?? To enter his home, wanting something with monetary value ?? then go back after murderer killed him, still looking ??

Or was this a random break in after his death since the news reported his murder and someone random knew his home was empty and being such a beautiful home in a prestigious area ??

BBM It is in one of those basement windows where the breakin occurred after his death and before burial in IN. The broken window was quickly shown in a MSM video when the family arrived following Devon's funeral service.

Wait??? His home was broken into AFTER his death ?? I must have missed this. I am trying to catch up !!

So--was somebody Looking for something specifically ?? To enter his home, wanting something with monetary value ?? then go back after murderer killed him, still looking ??

Or was this a random break in after his death since the news reported his murder and someone random knew his home was empty and being such a beautiful home in a prestigious area ??
Although there is no longer an available MSM link to provide, the FB group dedicated to Justice for Dr Hoover had a photo one of his friends/neighbors provided and posted of the sculpture that was removed from the home. Image has long since been deleted.
It was located on the baluster staircase in the foyer.
Is that everything the burglar absconded with? IDK How would anyone know?

In the first image, you can see the ground floor and where the wooden platform was made that held the sculpture at the beginning of the staircase. I don't recall the name of the piece but one of the ppl in the group rooted a similar item to an online auction valued in the thousands of dollars.

https://untappedcities.com/2012/03/16/a-peek-into-detroits-benjamin-siegel-house/
JMO

IMO there’s a third option: LE knows who murdered the doctor and has collected forensic evidence. Now it’s about getting all the lab results, interviewing people, consulting with the DA and making sure they have strong probable cause.

In the Idaho murders LE shocked us all when we learned they zeroed in on their suspect within a week or so. It took time before they made an arrest but they have a solid case against him and that’s what matters.

There are so many cases that looked like they went cold and would never be solved. Then bam! arrest.

This case is high profile yet hasn’t been in the news much in the last few weeks. To me it means something is cooking and a perp will be arrested. We just need to be patient (yeah, I know) until then. All MOO
BBM
For whatever reason, maybe the family does NOT want attention drawn to Dr Hoover and them.

I mean, if it were me and my family, we would be shouting from the rooftops.

Some SM & news reports are strange about such things and this one is one of them, IMO.

On the flip side, I can see why they would not want media attention due to letting the public know that this beautiful home is sitting empty and that would bring on all kinds of issues, squatters, robbery, etc.

My heart broke a little bit when I read this part of Dr. Hoover’s Obituary…

Devon's mother, Lauretta Hoover, passed away four days after his death.
She was already in hospice care and that is why the family was concerned when Dr. Hoover did not show up to visit with her as planned. So he was robbed with his final goodbye to his mother and his sisters were faced with the difficult task of realizing he was murdered and keeping his death from their mother. A very traumatic time for his whole family :(

BBM
For whatever reason, maybe the family does NOT want attention drawn to Dr Hoover and them.

I mean, if it were me and my family, we would be shouting from the rooftops.

Some SM & news reports are strange about such things and this one is one of them, IMO.

On the flip side, I can see why they would not want media attention due to letting the public know that this beautiful home is sitting empty and that would bring on all kinds of issues, squatters, robbery, etc.
Devon's heartbroken family has spoken out for Justice. It's easy to miss the updates. His sisters have been vocal on his Justice FB pg. They helped to raise the extra reward money from $2500 to $22,500 by focusing on the crime of murder.

I believe the BostonEdison Heights neighborhood has security patrol. The family placed a light in the 3rd floor window as a reminder that Devon's gone but his memory remains. They're seeking justice.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2023/06/25/loved-ones-seek-answers-2-months-after-well-known-detroit-neurosurgeon-found-dead/

DETROIT – It’s been three months since a Detroit surgeon was shot and killed in his home, and loved ones say investigators aren’t any closer to finding the person responsible...

But, so far, no one has been charged in connection with Hoover’s death...

DETROIT – It’s been three months since a Detroit surgeon was shot and killed in his home, and loved ones say investigators aren’t any closer to finding the person responsible...

But, so far, no one has been charged in connection with Hoover’s death...

Thanks for posting that article. This is one of those cases that you really want to see the perp caught as soon as possible. This is just a haunting case. With today's technology like DNA you would think there would be some way of finding the killer, although it is possible he didn't leave any DNA. Crossing fingers that something breaks soon to help find the person or persons that committed this horrible crime.

Dozens canvas Detroit neighborhood months after murder of Dr. Devon Hoover​

(WXYZ) — It's been just over three months since the murder of Detroit neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, and police still haven't named any suspect.
Hoover was found dead in his historic mansion in Detroit's Boston Edison District in April. At one point, police took a person of interest in custody on unrelated charges but released them following prosecutorial review.

Those who knew Hoover are not giving up hope, and the community is working to keep this case in the public eye.

Dozens of volunteers canvassed the neighborhood handing out between 200-300 fliers. Many people from former neighbors and former patients are frustrated no one has been taken into custody.

BBM: So it sounds like LE thought they had the killer but the prosecutor felt they didn't have enough evidence. :(

I see this as a wonderful man, a man with beautiful historic and social sensibilities, and - the police know. LE isn’t sounding random killer alarms here. I believe they know and are just amassing the evidence as they can, and monitoring the suspected offender. … that said, a tremendous loss to the medical community … imagine the patients now who haven’t benefitted from his care. The opportunity cost is enormous. I wish I knew this man in life. I know I would’ve respected him enormously.

I see this as a wonderful man, a man with beautiful historic and social sensibilities, and - the police know. LE isn’t sounding random killer alarms here. I believe they know and are just amassing the evidence as they can, and monitoring the suspected offender. … that said, a tremendous loss to the medical community … imagine the patients now who haven’t benefitted from his care. The opportunity cost is enormous. I wish I knew this man in life. I know I would’ve respected him enormously.
I couldn't agree more.....

This is the latest article I could find about this case. Still no arrests, but this is the most comprehensive article I have found to date. Reading between the lines leads me to believe they have a suspect but they don't have enough proof for a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt. Crossing fingers the killer gets caught soon.

DETROIT (WXYZ) — It's been four months with few answers as to who killed Dr. Devon Hoover. The 53-year-old was a respected surgeon at Ascension St John.

His neighbors, patients and friends are still in shock.

“One of the kindest human beings I’ll probably ever know,” patient and friend Janet Rohloff said. “They don't make them like that.”

Rohloff had been a patient of Hoover’s for 14 years. She says the last four months have been a fog, not knowing where the investigation stands...

“We are very confident we are going to bring this family justice. We are confident that we are aware of circumstances. We are confident in our suspect,” White said during the meeting. “We just need a little bit more time to work with the prosecutor's office and we have a to-do list, and we're prepared to make an announcement before snow hits the ground. We just have a lot of work to do.”...

DETROIT (WXYZ) — It's been four months with few answers as to who killed Dr. Devon Hoover. The 53-year-old was a respected surgeon at Ascension St John.

“One of the kindest human beings I’ll probably ever know,” patient and friend Janet Rohloff said. “They don't make them like that.”

Rohloff had been a patient of Hoover’s for 14 years. She says the last four months have been a fog, not knowing where the investigation stands...

“We are very confident we are going to bring this family justice. We are confident that we are aware of circumstances. We are confident in our suspect,” White said during the meeting. “We just need a little bit more time to work with the prosecutor's office and we have a to-do list, and we're prepared to make an announcement before snow hits the ground. We just have a lot of work to do.”...
That is excellent news. Thanks for finding and sharing!

I hope justice is coming soon for Dr. Hoover and his loved ones!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82
Back