MI - Neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, found fatally shot during welfare check, Detroit, Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You're remembering correctly. And it would have been "before the first snowfall LAST YEAR! I just don't get whats going on with this case. I feel horrible for Dr Hoovers family and friends.
It certainly doesn't give confidence in DPD, that's for certain. I do know that DPD has a lot of hard working and dedicated officers so I hope that the slow progress is due to them taking time to make sure that the charges, when they come, are foolproof and stick.

It certainly doesn't give confidence in DPD, that's for certain. I do know that DPD has a lot of hard working and dedicated officers so I hope that the slow progress is due to them taking time to make sure that the charges, when they come, are foolproof and stick.
Why was that road rage killing link posted here recently? Was it related to this case??

ETA Sorry 61Montcalm, not directed to you, I should've made a new post instead of replying to yours

It's about time! Press conference at 11:00AM today.

I just listened to the press Conference with DA Kym Worthy
OMG what a complicated case but they arrested the alleged murderer-
Thank you for letting us know! Finally there may be justice for Dr. Hoover!

Thank you for letting us know! Finally there may be justice for Dr. Hoover!
I was aghast listening to how complicated this case is- it covers multiple countries, allegations of fraud and so much more-- they have so much digital evidence, Kym Worthy said it would take years to go through all of it. It was quite an eye opening press conference. One thing bothered me: they found Dr. Hoover's stolen Land Rover, went to his home - apparently the doors were either open or not locked, but the police did not go into the home that night. The next day the family called the police and asked for a wellness check because Dr. Hoover did not show up to see his dying mother. At that point they entered the home and found Dr. Hoover deceased. I cannot believe the night before they just left the home after noticing blood in the driveway. He was most likely deceased at that point, but what if he wasn't? they just left.

Wow! I'm so glad to be wrong (I thought that this would never be solved). In the article it states "Back in May, Burks was charged with second-degree murder in an unrelated hit-and-run incident."

I found an article describing that May incident - not really a hit and run. This guy is a powderkeg!

A man has been charged with killing a Detroit neurosurgeon, nearly a year and a half after the doctor was found dead in his attic crawlspace, naked and wrapped in a blanket.

Desmond Burks, 34, was in an intimate relationship with Dr. Devon Hoover and would occasionally charge Hoover for sexual services, said Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy. Burks is accused of killing Hoover and stealing money and multiple watches worth thousands of dollars.
Burks was charged with first-degree murder, felony murder, larceny of over $20,000, using a computer to commit a crime, possession of a weapon by a felon and three counts of second-offense felony firearm.

So glad they were able to finally bring charges. I only wish it could have been sooner so that another life could have been spared…

RIP Dr. Hoover and Mr. Saleh.

Amazing that despite the fact that Burks made fraudulent purchases immediately after, that he wasn't caught until now.

From link below:

"Officials say that immediately following Hoover's murder, fraudulent transactions were made using his various bank accounts. Worthy said more than $30,000 was stolen from Hoover's accounts, as well as a Range Rover and two watches that total in value of $13,500."

Amazing that despite the fact that Burks made fraudulent purchases immediately after, that he wasn't caught until now.

From link below:

"Officials say that immediately following Hoover's murder, fraudulent transactions were made using his various bank accounts. Worthy said more than $30,000 was stolen from Hoover's accounts, as well as a Range Rover and two watches that total in value of $13,500."

From the same news story:
"Whenever we have reluctant witnesses in any investigation, it impedes things sometimes greatly, sometimes even longer than that, sometimes years before we can try a case," Worthy said when she was questioned about how witnesses not wanting to come forward may have affected the timing of the investigation. "But I think based on what you heard me say about the nature of the relationship that Dr. Hoover had with this defendant, I think you can kind of extrapolate from there why people would not want to come forward."
BBM.

Okay, but they also (as you pointed out) had the fraudulent transactions, extensive text messages between the two, and, eventually, cell phone tracking that had him at the location of Dr. Hoover’s house. I don’t understand why it would hinge on witness statements about their relationship at that point? Am I missing something?

MOO.

From the same news story:

BBM.

Okay, but they also (as you pointed out) had the fraudulent transactions, extensive text messages between the two, and, eventually, cell phone tracking that had him at the location of Dr. Hoover’s house. I don’t understand why it would hinge on witness statements about their relationship at that point? Am I missing something?

MOO.

Good point. I wonder. Could Burks perhaps have been the first person they questioned early on, but had to release? Maybe he admitted to being there at some point that evening or day, but they couldn't attach him to the crime.

From link below:
I s stolen from Hoover's accounts, as well as a Range Rover and two watches that total in value of $13,500."

I would like to think the authorities were checking all the text messages, tips, etc. to make sure they built a solid case so the accused didn't get off on a technicality.

Looks like they have accomplished that task. Very unfortunate that another person also lost their life.

RIP to Dr. Hoover and Mr. Saleh.

Good point. I wonder. Could Burks perhaps have been the first person they questioned early on, but had to release? Maybe he admitted to being there at some point that evening or day, but they couldn't attach him to the crime.

I suspect that now that he’s been accused of a road rage crime, some people who were reluctant to come forward because of the nature of the relationship and maybe, were personally afraid of Burks, are less scared now?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
08nomdeplume
Back